Bertrand

sadoldgit

Have we missed Shaw? No, and that says it all.

This is it for me - I like Shaw, think he has MASSIVE potential, but we haven't missed him. Bertrand has been a great signing for us and also seems fairly level-headed and switched on, which isn't something Luke was blessed with.

I do feel sorry for the lad at Man Utd though, although not at all surprised - just hope for his sake (and England's) he knuckles down and keeps improving. He obviously has the body shape that looks like he's overweight when he's not (like Rooney), so he'll need to work extra hard to stay lean. In my opinion.

Think he has slotted in seamlessly and would love to keep him, come next summer. Left back was the least of my concerns regarding players leaving and being replaced, as as good as Shaw was, I just don't think it is that critical a position.

A half decent season and an arm round the shoulder might do the trick come May, but my only concer would be wages. Just wonder what Chelsea are paying him (is he on mega bucks) and whether we could or should match it.

Regarding his deal does anyone know how it works,,, this loan with option to buy thing?

Lets say the end of the season we want him and he wants to sign for us, is a price already in place? Could Chelsea cancel it and decide to keep him? Could another club swoop in and bid?

Regarding his deal does anyone know how it works,,, this loan with option to buy thing?

Lets say the end of the season we want him and he wants to sign for us, is a price already in place? Could Chelsea cancel it and decide to keep him? Could another club swoop in and bid?

if he goes back to chelsea, he is an idiot.

look how much he is progressing by being in a good side, who play to his strengths where he will play more often than not

The agreed upon fee is £10m and as I understand it we have first dibs as it were...

Be interesting at the end of the season if we decide to spend £10m on him, I mean if the club puts it's faith in Targett then prob quite a lot of dollar for second string. I don't think this is forgone conclusion tbh, though I do think bert is good people.

Be interesting at the end of the season if we decide to spend £10m on him, I mean if the club puts it's faith in Targett then prob quite a lot of dollar for second string. I don't think this is forgone conclusion tbh, though I do think bert is good people.

good point bearsy.

It's not as binary a decision as it is with Forster and Boruc. Targett played in front of Bertrand when he came on.

It might not be seen as a priority investment and Targett might be best suited to left back, but we can arguably give everyone opportunities.

If we qualify for european football we shouldn't be going into next season with only Targett.

Better end product than Shaw so far, 1 goal and 1 assist in 6 games vs no goals or assists in 50...

Shaw has the potential to be the better player, but if you asked me at the start of the summer if I would rather have Shaw or £30m and Ryan Bertrand then would be no hesitation in saying the latter. Bertrand has been amazing so far for us and I think he would want to stay, given the option.

Better going forward than Shaw, arguably not as good defensively though. Not as much potential either, but slotted in seamlessly and been a great signing. Hopefully we can get the permanent deal done for him

His defensive positional play is better. Shaw could improve on that of course, but who is to say RB has stopped improving?!

I think if Shaw stayed with us this season he'd be having a blinder under Koeman. A manager who would want him and encourage him and he's play free from pressure and criticism that LVG piles on to him.

That said, Bertrand has been excellent and I want us to make it permanent in Jan if possible, one of the reasons we're flying so high in the league.

I'm so disappointed with that apostrophe that I feel the rest of your posts on this thread are soiled.

Also - does anyone else keep pronouncing Bertrand as in Francois Mitterand?? It's annoying me as I know he's bloody English but I default to being French :|

Yes me too, but I think of Belgian pop star Plastic Bertrand. I think I feel a song coming on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDfmn_TMkI

Ryan Bertrand

Ryan Bertrand

Ryan Bertrand (rand rand rand rand)

Ryan Bertrand

ooo - ooo - ooo - ooo

Ryan Bertrand

Also - does anyone else keep pronouncing Bertrand as in Francois Mitterand?? It's annoying me as I know he's bloody English but I default to being French :|

That because you're a pretentious t*at. I bet you used to call Dave Ginola Davide Geenoolaa too didn't you.

Better end product. Either Ryan is a £20m+ player or we got a horrendous price for luke

Well someone has changed their tune...you thought he was worse than Fox!

well, utterly underwhelming

we would not have thought he would have made the bench a few months ago

and only a loan signing

guess Rojo is definitely not happening

Good back up for Targett. Club clearly see that Targett is going to make it, so will gradually introduce him.

I know that i prefer Bertrand to Fox.

not at all, I reckon

If Chelsea have the option not to sell at the end of the season, should we offer to buy him now? I think we should...get in there before he becomes too high profile. No supporter in the league could genuinely argue against the opinion that Bertrand and Clyne have been the best fullbacks in the league for these first 6 matches. Outstanding both of them. I'd nip in there now and take up that £10m option to buy. Lock him down.

Yes, he has a better end product. Shaw continually frustrated me with his poor deliveries, one-footedness and injuries.

We have upgraded and made a serious wedge in doing so. Great bit of business - I have to take my hat off to the club on this one, they were spot on.

Everyone talks about Shaw's massive potential and chance to become the best left back in the world. Get real guys. He would need to change his body shape and learn to use his right foot first.