Jose Fonte in new Portugal coach's thoughts - Gets first Call Up!

stevegrant

Portuguese journalists are reporting that Jose Fonte is included in a 40-man preliminary list of potential call-ups for the new Portugal national team coach Fernando Santos.

About bloody time he got some recognition, it seems the previous coach Paulo Bento hadn't even heard of him when questioned last year :uhoh:

Great news, it is about time his hard work has been recognised. Maybe being captain of a team sat 2nd in the prem makes people stand up and take notice even if we're not in the Champs league.

It's also possible that Fonte's choice of agent may have influenced his lack of recognition under the previous coach. The vast majority of their World Cup squad had the same agent - Jorge Mendes. As did the coach.

It's also possible that Fonte's choice of agent may have influenced his lack of recognition under the previous coach. The vast majority of their World Cup squad had the same agent - Jorge Mendes. As did the coach.

That's interesting, and a bit odd. Managers having same agents as footballers always struck me as a bit dodgy.

That's interesting, and a bit odd. Managers having same agents as footballers always struck me as a bit dodgy.

There are conflicts of interests at all levels of the game, to be fair. It's only really the last few years where such blatant ones have been seen, such as Cardiff signing a billion players from Norway who share Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's agent, Sam Allardyce and Kevin Nolan putting pressure on Ravel Morrison to switch to their agent (for which they would have received a commission), etc. The murky world is getting murkier.

Fair play to Jose, every time his position in the team looks to be under threat from players coming in like Lovren being bought to partner right centre back Yoshida last season, Jose has upped his game, now we have Toby who natural position is right centre back playing in the left spot preferred by Gardos.

i dont understand us as fans wanting our players to go to international duty. More games, more likelyhood of injuries and a very good chance the will be tapped up by players/agents of the big clubs.

Ok for Jose its great, but for us fans? its much better they stay under the radar IMo

I've said it two or three times now, but Jose is like our new Claus. He went through numerous partners, all of whom were supposedly the better player, and certainly got more plaudits and recognition and ultimately transfers elsewhere... but all were made to look a lot better because of their partnership with Claus.

Jose is the same - although also actually a better player than Claus IMO - and his relationships on and off the field are a key part of our success.

He thoroughly deserves a call-up and I hope he makes it into any final squad.

i dont understand us as fans wanting our players to go to international duty. More games, more likelyhood of injuries and a very good chance the will be tapped up by players/agents of the big clubs.

Ok for Jose its great, but for us fans? its much better they stay under the radar IMo

Not really, most become better or at least more complete players with a bit of international experience, airheads who listen to others about pay and conditions apart of course.

Alternatively if a player thinks being here will hamper his chance of international recognition (see Morgan's explanation for his stroppy) it can only hurt us.

Not really, most become better or at least more complete players with a bit of international experience, airheads who listen to others about pay and conditions apart of course.

I think it can go both ways.

Not saying this would necessarily be the case of Fonte, but it seems perfectly plausible that if a player had serious ambitions to play in the national squad then if they aren't getting in the squad at Saints, they may well seek pastures new to improve their chances of doing so.

yep all valid, but when they are internationals they again are more likely to be snapped up. I also used to be keen to see Saints players in an England/international jersey, but after time and again seeing those players then leave it has made me less keen.

The player will be worth more to the club in a transfer fee being an international and no doubt it will increase his wages. how it helps us as fans im not sure

yep all valid, but when they are internationals they again are more likely to be snapped up. I also used to be keen to see Saints players in an England/international jersey, but after time and again seeing those players then leave it has made me less keen.

The player will be worth more to the club in a transfer fee being an international and no doubt it will increase his wages. how it helps us as fans im not sure

Because it's good to see long-serving players rewarded, perhaps?

Players have left us in the past because they weren't getting enough international recognition, players have left us in the past because they got recognition but felt they could play at a higher level. Both of those things will continue to happen for as long as the earth rotates.

You seem to be determined to find a cloud in every silver lining.

Because it's good to see long-serving players rewarded, perhaps?

Players have left us in the past because they weren't getting enough international recognition, players have left us in the past because they got recognition but felt they could play at a higher level. Both of those things will continue to happen for as long as the earth rotates.

You seem to be determined to find a cloud in every silver lining.

that's me Steve.

Clearly it is better for our players to get call ups and recognition.

The downside is they could get injured , and might have their heads turned, but that is still better than them wanting to leave to a “big” club to boost their chances of an international call up.

The positive side is by having international recognition we can add a premium to the cost of a player if they do insist in forcing a move.

Alternatively if a player thinks being here will hamper his chance of international recognition (see Morgan's explanation for his stroppy) it can only hurt us.
Exactly. If you look at the bigger picture, we want it to become the norm that being a Saints player and getting international recognition go hand in hand, great place for up and coming young players etc. It affects how the club is perceived. Edited by Sour Mash

Probably too late, tournament not for 2 years. Daft of them, their defence was awful at the World Cup. Pepe is just a disaster waiting to happen. Fonte really would have done well for them. Amazing how well he's done the past few years. Must be one of our best ever signings.

Yep, and the fact he dropped from the Championship to League 1 to be with us showed great foresight on his behalf.

You said it - it's great for Jose. And most of us want him to achieve his dreams as he's been such a great servant for us.

I've said it two or three times now, but Jose is like our new Claus.

He went through numerous partners, all of whom were supposedly the better player, and certainly got more plaudits and recognition and ultimately transfers elsewhere...

but all were made to look a lot better because of their partnership with Claus.

Jose is the same - although also actually a better player than Claus IMO - and his relationships on and off the field are a key part of our success.

He thoroughly deserves a call-up and I hope he makes it into any final squad.

well said Minty - agree 100% with both statements.

Richly deserved by Jose and they might have done better last summer had he played in their group games. Incredible to think there were posters (a small but vocal minority) on this board who thought he wasn't good enough for PL football. He's been an inspiration through a turbulent summer and no surprise that MP allegedly turned to him when succeeding Nigel. Like Kelvin Davis, Jose is a cornerstone of SFC and couldn't be more delighted for him.

Bet he's glad he didn't go to Cardiff.

That was never even a possibility IMO - Cardiff had ideas way above their station with that one.

Anyway, yet another call-up for a player who has remained, relatively speaking, loyal to Southampton. Thoroughly chuffed for him.