BBC's 50 memorable FA Cup goals - 1 October 2014 - Bobby Stokes - 1 May 1976

TopGun

I was sat in amongst the plastics and diagonally opposite him when he shot. Wasn't sure if it was going in or wide until it hit the back of the net. Leapt out of my seat only to realise where I was and sat down sharpish. What a great moment. As we walked out there was a shower of cans coming from the back of the stairs. The Mancs were throwing them at their own fans they were so unhappy LOL.

Bit of name dropping here but I met up with Lawrie Mac yesterday and he said how today he finds it remarkable that in our squad for the Final we only had one goalie ie Ian Turner. Had he got ill on the day of the final then we would not have had a goalkeeper to hand. Our reserve goalie then was Steve Middleton and Lawrie says he was not happy at being left behind but finances back then only a certain amount of players travelled.

It's always talked about because it gave the underdogs the win, but what always surprises me is that they never seem to talk about the quality of the goal.

Outside of the area, two defenders bearing down on him, balls behind and a half volley in to about the only place where he would score (Angle wise)..... its a cracker

I really hope I'm around to see that happen again one day, would loved to have been about in 76 to celebrate with the rest of the city.

Just curious but I wasn't massively into football around the time of Bobby's death in 95, did Saints do much to mark his passing at all? We're very good these days at paying respects to former players/managers etc, just wondered what it was like back then?

Am I right in saying 1976 was the last time the Queen attended the FA Cup Final and handed the winners the trophy?

I always tell people this if the subject ever comes up.

'Never let the truth get in the way of a good story' I say

It's always talked about because it gave the underdogs the win, but what always surprises me is that they never seem to talk about the quality of the goal.

Outside of the area, two defenders bearing down on him, balls behind and a half volley in to about the only place where he would score (Angle wise)..... its a cracker

Absolutely - a peach of a goal , beautifully taken

Bit of name dropping here but I met up with Lawrie Mac yesterday and he said how today he finds it remarkable that in our squad for the Final we only had one goalie ie Ian Turner. Had he got ill on the day of the final then we would not have had a goalkeeper to hand. Our reserve goalie then was Steve Middleton and Lawrie says he was not happy at being left behind but finances back then only a certain amount of players travelled.

Wow! That is one of those little trivia facts that I will remember forever! Thanks! :)

He used to drink in my old local in Pompey, he knew that I knew who he was, but being a Pompey pub it was wasn't something we got to talk about much. Whenever I saw him, I'd get him a pint in, and he'd nod a thanks

Really nice bloke and completely unassuming. In the end he had almost nothing :(

Having done a bit of digging she did in fact attend the first final at the new Wembley in 2007. But I don't think she's attended a final since. Anyone know why she didn't fancy seeing the skates and their bestest fans appear in the final?

Not sure where you dug that up from but this looks more like Prince William than his Grandmother!

http://www.hymoney.co.uk/images/2007/FA%20Cup%20Final%20May%2007/slides/Prince%20William%20hands%20the%20cup%20to%20John%20Terry.jpg

It's true that the Queen hasn't been to an FA Cup Final since 1976

Not sure where you dug that up from but this looks more like Prince William than his Grandmother!

http://www.hymoney.co.uk/images/2007/FA%20Cup%20Final%20May%2007/slides/Prince%20William%20hands%20the%20cup%20to%20John%20Terry.jpg

It's true that the Queen hasn't been to an FA Cup Final since 1976

I'll never trust the Express again. They were the ones who told me!

Brings back some fantastic memories. I think I still have a winners flag kicking around. I know I have lot of winners souvenirs, like limited edition plates mugs, programmes etc

with retro in fashion I wonder if silk scarves will make a comeback?

Ever lasting proof that she is a Saints fan!!!

Probably her who got Clare Balding into following us when she nipped round to check on her horses on time.

Didn't she go to most cup finals before then? Haven't we just put her off for life? She didn't go in 2003.

I met up with Lawrie Mac yesterday and he said how today he finds it remarkable that in our squad for the Final we only had one goalie ie Ian Turner. Lawrie says he was not happy at being left behind but finances back then only a certain amount of players travelled.

Whilst I don't doubt he said that, its not believable, some re-invention of history perhaps. Travelling with one goalie in the squad would be down to the manager's decision - an unnecessary risk not due to finances.