No Judas, Just Poyet - Sunderland Build Up

Lighthouse

We will all be hoping all our lads come through the international break unscathed, then we've got a winnable game against another of our bogey sides.

In October we have Spurs, Sunderland and Stoke who we have failed to beat in any of the 14 league and cup games since promotion. Surely we're due something. Sunderland beat Stoke in their most recent fixture but have otherwise had an uninspiring season, losing at QPR and drawing their other fixtures.

I'd be tempted to start with Long instead of Mane who seems a bit unpredictable at times.

I'd rather have Cork in for Vic this game I think, he can always be brought on at half time if we need more protection. Long in for Mane too.

Spot in Igsy....issues at Tottenham were that we overrun in midfield...

I agree with your fix with Cork. We also look more balanced with Long...

Spot in Igsy....issues at Tottenham were that we overrun in midfield...

I agree with your fix with Cork. We also look more balanced with Long...

I thought we had difficulty in midfield in the first half at least justly because Wanyama gave the ball away a lot of the time, if not he was committing stupid fouls . I really don't think he's better than Cork, seems to have no poise or class, panics a lot.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I thought we had difficulty in midfield in the first half at least justly because Wanyama gave the ball away a lot of the time, if not he was committing stupid fouls . I really don't think he's better than Cork, seems to have no poise or class, panics a lot.

We are so much better when Vic plays. He was better than Morgan yesterday. Mane better than long for me.

Couldn't disagree with you more. You look at the stats when they play we win tons more when Vic plays. When he went off yesterday we went to pieces.

A lot of those "fouls" given against him yesterday were nonsense.

Couldn't disagree with you more. You look at the stats when they play we win tons more when Vic plays. When he went off yesterday we went to pieces.

If you say so but this season VW has started 4 out of 7 and we've lost 2 of those and drew one other. In fact I think we've only won 1 game that he's started this season.

Lacks poise and control in my view, slows us down.

If you say so but this season VW has started 4 out of 7 and we've lost 2 of those and drew one other. In fact I think we've only won 1 game that he's started this season.

An interesting view and point on our wins with VW starting this season. I can't make up my mind on the VW versus Cork argument.

But Wanyama went off for Long, by taking off a defensive midfielder for a forward will always leave us more open.

An interesting view and point on our wins with VW starting this season. I can't make up my mind on the VW versus Cork argument.

It's a case of each to his own I suppose, I am not a fan of lumbering hulks in midfield, for me Cork is more vivacious, passes more accurately and reads the game far far better.

Deliberately ignoring the Swansea game then? We were noticeably better when he came on and scored a very good goal, which won the game.

The only thing I'd change from Dazza82's formation is, I'd have Cork alongside Morgan and Davis behind Pelle with Mane and Vic on the bench.

I was just going to post this exact same suggestion.

I'm a bit torn between VW and Cork though. I think with Sunderland Cork can offer a bit more going forward. Davis hasn't been as good as last season, but still in my first 11. Mane offers something a bit different but best off the bench for me.

I'd rather have Cork in for Vic this game I think, he can always be brought on at half time if we need more protection. Long in for Mane too.

Yes. And we need to get him into the England squad (with Bertrand)

Then we have a full house

Most important game of the season IMO. Every team loses games, it's how you bounce back that counts. Are we a really good side, or were we just on a good run?

Nothing less than a win will do. Sunderland are really poor, the bottom half of the league is. I don't see much reason to change the team if all fit, we just need a better performance.

Without a doubt a six pointer, Sunderland will be round about the bottom third come the end of the season. We need to win games like these.

Look at the stats. Just look at the stats!

How many times has the midfield been as poor as Sunday with Cork in side. VW can be excellent of course but so can Cork.

Can we not play 4-2-3-1?

Forster

Clyne

Fonte

Alderweireld

Bertrand

Wanyama..Schneiderlin

Long.....Tadic....Mane

Pelle

If 4-3-3

Then replace Long with Cork to free up Morgan to get forward, with Tadic and Mane either side of Pelle

This, with Long, Mane and Tadic rotating to cause their back liquorice all sorts

Mane won't have long to recover as his game is Wednesday evening I think. if fit however, he should defeinitely play. Exactly the type of player for these games where it is about that piece of magic to break someone down. Not impossible, but hard to see Long trying that backheel for the Bertrand goal.

Also won the pen and corner that we scored from at Arsenal.

A must pick IMO, rather than an out of form striker being asked to play a role he isnt totally suited to.

Problem is VW is bordering on world class without the ball but league 2 at best on the ball.

In heavy traffic v Spurs he was getting caught in possession time and time again. Also, against a team sitting back ( like West Brom did) better to have Cork in as he moves the ball much more effectively and he will open up space.

Problem is VW is bordering on world class without the ball but league 2 at best on the ball.

In heavy traffic v Spurs he was getting caught in possession time and time again. Also, against a team sitting back ( like West Brom did) better to have Cork in as he moves the ball much more effectively and he will open up space.

Glad that someone else noticed that, was beginning to think I'd seen a game from a parallel universe or something. VW is cumbersome and clumsy, very poor in the air and a bad passer, still no doubt he runs around a lot and puts in crunching tackles from time to time.

Glad that someone else noticed that, was beginning to think I'd seen a game from a parallel universe or something. VW is cumbersome and clumsy, very poor in the air and a bad passer, still no doubt he runs around a lot and puts in crunching tackles from time to time.

Care to post SFC's record with and without him in the side. I can then make a judgement in his effectiveness.

They've sold out their away end - I'm guessing they weren't given the full allocation ?!

Great effort for them. They're lucky its Saturday 3:00!!

Would expect the attendance to be circa 30/31,000

Won't be the full allocation, will be 2.5k. Sunderland subsidised their tickets, knocking a tenner off I think (is the £200k Premier League away fund per club running again this year?). Still a good effort though.

Was having a chat with my grandson about the 'Sunderland' experience recently and as the young are so much more perceptive these days, said 'We ain't played 'em in stripes for ages so when they come to St.Marys we'll be in stripes and they'll keep passing the ball to us as they're used to our strip!'

Well at least I like it!!!!

It's a case of each to his own I suppose, I am not a fan of lumbering hulks in midfield, for me Cork is more vivacious, passes more accurately and reads the game far far better.

I know Cork is elegant and I love him like other fans but I'm still waiting for his first forward pass this season, that's his trouble, cautious and defensive when we need an incisive thrust forward

Hmm....sight exaggeration there...League2 "at best".....really???

I know Cork is elegant and I love him like other fans but I'm still waiting for his first forward pass this season, that's his trouble, cautious and defensive when we need an incisive thrust forward

West Ham away, August, brilliant pass for the 3rd. Sorry you missed it

I don't think his two goals went backwards but I will check the video again.....

VW usually ends games with about an 85% pass accuracy, which is about average, nothing amazing but could be a lot worse. He is very effective at keeping the ball, at the QPR game there were times where he had 3 players trying to crowd him off the ball and he ploughed through as if they werent there. When he has the ball under control, he is very good at keeping hold of it, and as for 'putting in crunching tackles from time to time' - he is one of our best players at winning the ball back, second to Morgan I'd say. If he is going into a tackle, more often than not, he will come out of it with the ball.

Wanyama could very easily fit into a team better than us. He isn't in our team to make decisive through balls or score 15 goals a season, we have other players for that. It is his role to win the ball back and keep it simple which, when he does that, he is amazing at.

I would disagree. He's probably our best midfielder for linking play with the front 3 and keeping the tempo up. All in my opinion of course.