Mark Hughes's phantom goal for the Saints Aug 1999

Fitzhugh Fella

You would have thought that if the ball did hit the advertising boards (which were very close behind goal, it was a very narrow perimeter strip) behind the goal and cannon back out, it would have been happening all the time. I do remember the incident, although not at the match, I seem to remember watching it on TV (although I may have been listening on the radio!).

It didn't hit the advertising boards. There was a walkway between the goal and the boards, the net wasn't made of elastic...

It hit the metal poles which were used to hold additional nets at the side of the goals in the pre match warm up (to stop wayward shots flying into the crowd). They used to take them down before the match and lie them on the ground behind the goal.

It didn't hit the advertising boards. There was a walkway between the goal and the boards, the net wasn't made of elastic...

It hit the metal poles which were used to hold additional nets at the side of the goals in the pre match warm up (to stop wayward shots flying into the crowd). They used to take them down before the match and lie them on the ground behind the goal.

This seems the most plausible explanation...

I was there in the 2nd row of the East Stand upper, near the half way line, so I had a reasonably good view, (but was anyone in the 1st row of the archers?) It clearly looked like a goal to me, but is was very odd that the ball pinged straight back out into play, particularly as I don't recall the net "bulging" as such, hence the confusion. If there was something behind the goal such as the posts mentioned above, that caused the ball to rebound before the net became taught, it would explain it.

Was in the Archers for this one and from where we were it looked as though it went in then out.

BUT I just don't believe it went in as no one made a real fuss to the referee or linesman. Would have thought that if it had gone in then Hughes and others would have gone ballistic.

This is the expiation I remember. I was there too but no-one seemed to be shouting for a goal too much.

I was directly behind the goal, block 3 of the archers about 4 rows back and my memory at the time was that it hadn't gone in, i guess it's one of those that we'll never know about but i think the fuss was/is made because of the angles you used to get at the Dell meant sometimes you didn't always have the best view!

We were in the West Stand in line with the goal. It was hit very hard and fast and hit something very solid at the back of the goal. We always assumed it was the advertising hoardings but if something else stood in the way fair enough. It must have been hit and rebounded at such an angle that it was credible a defender had cleared it from the goal line. We still talk about it now as it was just so strange nobody tried to claim it as a goal.

Did it not hit the advertising board close behind the goal and bounce out? How the eff the ref missed that one I'll never understand.
sat in Milton Road directly behind goal. Hughes hit it hard went in to net hit boardings at back came straight out! Ref must have thought hit post. So standard has not changed much over the years. Think we lost 3-0, on par with Nick Holmes pile driver against Watford I think? Which was given offside cos left wingers nose was level with last defender!!

Exactly what happened, the shot hit the ground and poles at the same time.

Mancsaint

I wasn't there but I saw the incident on South today that evening and they commented and the video showed the ball clearly go in, hit the advertising board and come back out.

Yeah I saw it on the tv, it was close to the post, but hit board at the back and then came straight out.

I haven't seen the "goal" since it happened, but I remember the Dell nets, rather than being "taut" as described, were in fact quite loose at the back, probably to try and absorb the energy of the ball before it hit the adverts.

Edited by The9

I was in the front couple of rows of the Archers to the right of the goal. Everyone around us certainly thought it was a goal.

On the flip side does anyone remember Dean Hammond's scruffy near post header away at Northampton in the cup which was given but definitely didn't go in? So it's true, these thinga do even themselves out even if it does take 10 years or so.