Things to do in krakow.

hypochondriac

I did a walking tour when I went. it was organised with the group, so sadly can't pass on any details - but I'm sure there are loads. It was really interesting, I really like the Jewish Quarter (though it's really small now). Also, Schindler's factory is there too.

Auschwitz is well worth doing. I'll stop short of saying it's 'good' or anything like that, for obvious reasons. But, it does have a powerful impact. I don't think I will ever forget going there, or the way it made me feel. Don't want to sound like a knob (apologies if I do) but try to prepare mentally first, it's a lot to take in.

The market in the square was cool too.

Can't really remember a great deal else, it was a few years a go and only a brief trip. My over-riding memories are all Auschwitz related too. I did really like it there though, friends who have been for longer all seem to love it too.

Have fun, sorry this was't overly helpful.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove
Sorry, typo.

Wawel castle on Wawel Hill is a must-see, a really stunning place. Decent-ish art gallery there as well with a nice collection of Flemish/Northern renaissance art if that be your thing (plenty of Cranach the elder from what I can recall). As KRG said, walking-tours are always a good way to get to know a city on the cheap, and I also did the one around the Jewish-quarter. Good night life in those parts and lots of dingy cavernous bars selling Zubrovka and tankards of larger on the cheap. Obviously, Aushchwitz will be a sobering experience; t'was covered in a blanket of snow when I went, which lent it an ethereal quality. A bizarre juxtaposition of beauty and brutality. Totally worthwhile though and horribly unforgettable. If you have time then try and get to the Wieliczka Salt Mines which are spectacular but located a reasonable distance (20 mins?) outside of Krakow, and on a Saints theme, St. Mary's altar at St. Mary's church in the Main square is fantastically ornate. In terms of food, Polish cuisine isn't my favourite and I don't really get on with 'hearty' dishes comprised of stewed beef and dumplings, but guess that is standard in such a cold climate. None of the restaurants I went to really stood out, but I'll try rack my brain for places to drink (I went about 4-5 years ago). Enjoy though and wrap up warm.

Edited by Toon Saint

Dubai Phil is your man for this - Mrs DP comes from there. a few of us went to his wedding and spent a few days in Krakow.

As KRG said, Auschwitz has a very big impact on you. We all decided to do it after the wedding, which was a good decision for the reasons KRG mentions.

The Salt Mines are worth a visit as well, but be prepared for quite a lot of walking (same applies to Auschwitz as well)

Both places can be done via organised day trips by coach and includes a guide. Best book at least the day before.

We didn't get to Schindlers factory, but that is much closer to city centre. There is also a big castle near the centre.

Depending where you are staying Tram travel is probably cheapest option for getting about locally.

A guided tour around the historic areas of the city in a Golf Buggy are quite cheap as well.

Food and drink is ridiculously good value.

We definitely don't know anything about a certain Gentleman's Club though ;-)

I would basically echo everything said before: Auschwitz, the salt mines and the castle.

Krakow itself isn't very big but inside the city walls there is a great range of different bars, restaurants and clubs depending on what you're looking for. Food and drink in Poland is great value for money and I can highly recommend the pork knuckle.

Overall, great place. Enjoy!

If you go to Auschwitz, take a detour also to Birkeneau where the full horror of the Holocaust can be seen, a very sobering experience, looking at the accommodation they prisoners were forced to stay in.

This, the salt mines, perhaps try to take in a football match. Make sure you go to the jewish quarter after dark for a few beers or vodkas and eat in Pd Wawalem restaurant, its bavarian themed and not far from the castle.

Cant stress enough visiting birkenau, you wont get the full horror of the situation if not.

Also, check the weather, it was -22 when I went

All the above plus visit this pub.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274772-d1008982-r124396329-C_K_Browar_Restauracja-Krakow_Lesser_Poland_Province_Southern_Poland.html

It's a brewpub, they only serve at a table (no standing at the bar) and you get your beer served as I remember in 2L, 3L or 5L tall tubes which you then serve yourself at the table. Great beer, had Eurosport on the tv's when we were there so some football. Do get there early or book though!

Went there 5 years ago booked airport transfer and the Aushwitz & Salt Mines full day tour with the folks in the like below. Stunningly when transferring us to the hotel the driver was chatting on his mobile, when he finished he said you are on the tour tomorrow we will pick you up at 8:30 to 9am and because tomorrow's tour has more people than usual the price has reduced!!!! (Nowhere in the world have I known that, but it's paid off as I have now advertised them on here).

The whole day was excellent value.

http://www.KrakowShuttle.com

Also been to Krakow with work and eaten happily in both these restaurants

http://chimera.com.pl/en/restauracja/

Mrs JBS prefers here though

http://www.kawaleria.com.pl/?lang=en

Both just off the Rynek. along the same alley as Kawaleria is a coffee shop - bar that serves Hot Chocolate not powder based but actual hot chocolate very strange yet surprisingly nice without being sickly.

Salt Mines is an absolute MUST.

Auschwitz is something everyone should do once in their lives but allow a full day.

For the factory & Kazimerz any of the Golf Buggy tours will cover that no need to book touts everywhere

There is a company that does Communist tours the (can't remember the name Commie New Town is interesting as is being abused by a guide in a Trabant)

There are a zillion pubs and bars but we love House of Beer and Borda (latter does a 2 course meal for about 3 quid)

A longer day trip to Zacopane is stunning, but if you cannot make that then Morskie Oko Restaurant off Szeplanca street does traditional food and the cellar part is awesome but do book gets busy.

Try the Polish Black pudding & Smalec - Hunters Lard like a Beef Dripping with Pork bits in it as a starter.

Rynek Square is the heart of the City but the restaurants and bars one or two blocks out from it are half the price and double the quality.

Staying in Kazimerz the area is older and darker & dingier than Rynek BUT there is a tiny bar every 30 metres and restaurants and street food places in the market are bloody fantastic. We love La Pistola Pizza house down that way. ANYTHING on the main drag from Florians Gate to Rynek is a rip off apart from McDonalds & KFC but there is a good old fashioned traditional restaurant about 100 m down on the right before the beer house (NOT the one I mentioned this one is awful) but the Scoff place is good

When booking your hotel download the PDF of the Tramlines. Staying in Staroswilna for eg means you will not get a wink of sleep.

From the airport take the train turn right from arrivals and walk 150m takes you to the Central Station next to that is Galleria the main shopping Mall. Taxi is about 20 quid.

Polish Vodka is cheap as chips in the shops so book a suitcase for the way home. Our favourite is Krupnik. Also try the flavoured ones esp Old Krupnik & Zubrowka Biala and Wolysnka Gordonska - ah sod it an orange coloured Vodka in a bottle with an orange top.

Zwyiec is the best beer with Tyskie a close second. On the walk from the Station to Rynek you will see vendors selling pies. Aapparently they are a delicacy.

Any specific questions PM Eric & I will reply.

Oh and don't be a normal twonk Brit. Polish girls are fantastic as long as you are not an idiot. The Lapdancing clubs can be fun but they will rip you off. Most Nightclubs are small and often in cellars.

You can book a Pub Crawl - have seen some of them - #mess

IF you are flying Ryanair take a fabric shopping bag you can then buy 4 bottles of Vodka at least at the airport (The airport is TINY, expect to queue for Passport & Outbound Security and sweat your butt off waiting at the gate, but for UK flights you can buy Smokes & Vodka cheap at the airport gate) There are limited places to buy ENGLISH cigarettes - everything is American - Winston Marlboro. One Tabak on the walk from Station to Florians Gate does English smokes & Golden Virgina next to the actual wall)

It is a FANTASTIC City

Oh and I'm staying at radisson blu. Not sure where that is in relation to anything.

Great location face the park turn left to Francisszplanka gets you to the bottom of Rynek You are 200m from Wavel Castle - Note the castle is open every day for basic entry but to get into the actual rooms and Museums you need to buy a ticket - they are limited in numbers so you need to get them early or with a guide. We found it just nice to walk around and take pictures (The Krakow Dragon is down under the walls by the river side.) Just a statue.

Walking past the front of the castle down Stradomska about 100 m gets you to Kazimerz. Head straight there you end up at Galeria Krakowska who do FANTASTIC Lemon Blackcurrant & Prosecco Mouse Cakes (Made our Wedding Cake) Walking that way you see a small market square with a flea market and they do like baguette pizzas in the middle for lunch. Also head for the main Synagogue Remu area there is a small square and some nice bars/coffee places. At night it IS safe but because it is dark & the stone buildings have not been renovated it does feel "creepy" so do this in the day time.

Wilsna Street heading to Rynek has a lot of the small clubs on it at night. House of Beer is in the opposite far corner of Rynek behind the Cathedral.

DO stand in the square near the Cathedral at the Top of every hour & listen to the Trumpeter!

There is not a great deal "behind" your hotel when you only have a couple of days so stay heading towards the park and going left or right.

Enjoy

Try and get to see the Flaming Dragon below Wavel castle by the river in the dark, only goes off now and again makes folks jump. Not the end of the world if you miss it.

The spiced Vodka with the orange colour and orange lid Phil mentioned Wódka Żoładowa Gorzka: fresh out of the Freezer a very cheeky little addiction........... As Phil said take a big bag actually take a bigger bag and bring back a couple of big bottles for me.......... Please. :D