Biggest cruise ship in the world pulls in to Southampton

Batman

That is one big ship – well over four times the tonnage of Titanic!

Great kudos for the city, still not sure if enough is done for the visitors coming and going off the ships to keep them in the city, spending money etc, but easier said than done.

Good point. It would be interesting to see figures of how much money cruise passengers actually spend in the city.

It would be interesting to see figures of how much money cruise passengers actually spend in the city.

Three or four years ago, they reckoned the combined revenue (on-shore spending, ship restocking, hotels, etc) was worth about £1 million to the city each time a cruise ship docked.

Three or four years ago, they reckoned the combined revenue (on-shore spending, ship restocking, hotels, etc) was worth about £1 million to the city each time a cruise ship docked.

That's almost as much as the revenue that the City of Portsmouth gains from every home match, isn't it?

Personally, my idea of a living hell

I saw some of her passengers interviewed last night and they seemed perfectly happy with their inward facing cabins and that fact that it was hard to tell that they were actually aboard a ship at sea.

If I were ever wealthy enough to go on a cruise than I would want to see and feel the power of the ocean and know what it means to undertake such a voyage. Those not interested in any of that might as well fly to Vegas and take their tacky pleasures there.

I saw some of her passengers interviewed last night and they seemed perfectly happy with their inward facing cabins and that fact that it was hard to tell that they were actually aboard a ship at sea.

If I were ever wealthy enough to go on a cruise than I would want to see and feel the power of the ocean and know what it means to undertake such a voyage. Those not interested in any of that might as well fly to Vegas and take their tacky pleasures there.

I dont know why people are so snobby about cruises - whether cruisers thinking they are a cut above everybody else or others thinking big ship cruisers have got no class for choosing the 'wrong' kind of ship. Im not sure whats aesthetically superior about visiting the Uffizi or Venice in August with herds of other tourists.

Personally I like to travel around whilst on holiday and cruises are perfect if you are holidaying with kids or elderly parents. Last year a weeks cruise for three people taking in Tampa (Florida), Cozumel and Cost Maya (Mexico), Belize, Roatan (Honduras) and the Cayman Islands in a big cabin with huge balcony and all entertainment and meals included cost me £1,450 total (around £480 each). My kids said it was the best thing they've ever done, and thats good enough for me.

I dont know why people are so snobby about cruises - whether cruisers thinking they are a cut above everybody else or others thinking big ship cruisers have got no class for choosing the 'wrong' kind of ship. Im not sure whats aesthetically superior about visiting the Uffizi or Venice in August with herds of other tourists.

Personally I like to travel around whilst on holiday and cruises are perfect if you are holidaying with kids or elderly parents. Last year a weeks cruise for three people taking in Tampa (Florida), Cozumel and Cost Maya (Mexico), Belize, Roatan (Honduras) and the Cayman Islands in a big cabin with huge balcony and all entertainment and meals included cost me £1,450 total (around £480 each). My kids said it was the best thing they've ever done, and thats good enough for me.

Cruises are wonderful holidays. We've done plenty and have been to all sorts of places that we would not have otherwise considered. We are definitely not snobs but you do meet some other passengers who like to think that they are. They treat the place like some sort of golf club that shouldn't have let you in.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

Some of my most memorable moments – sailing at sunrise through the beautiful archipelago of islands into Stockholm, peering through the eerie mists at the hulks of the former Soviet fleet in St Petersburg, watching flying fish skimming the bow waves in the Caribbean, or marvelling at the Aurora borealis in Norwegian skies – have all occurred whilst I’ve been standing on the deck of a cruise ship, and all at the cheap end of the market.

There really are some very reasonable deals on offer these days, especially if you are able to be flexible with your departures dates etc

Cruises are wonderful holidays. We've done plenty and have been to all sorts of places that we would not have otherwise considered. We are definitely not snobs but you do meet some other passengers who like to think that they are. They treat the place like some sort of golf club that shouldn't gave let you in.

Exactly. Some lines seem to attract that 'sort'. Years ago when i was at university in Brighton I used to work the bar in two separate five star hotels - the Grand and what was then the Ramada Renaissance. The Ramada was a joy to work at, both the clientele and the management were friendly and you could engage with them on an equal basis and the food was superb. It attracted people who were relaxed about money and 'position'. The Grand by contrast was stuffy, full of condescending mostly not terribly bright people who had saved up to come to the Grand once a month, eat overpriced schools dinners and be snitty to the staff.

Edited by buctootim