• Davis, S
    • Cork
    • Long
    • Tadic
    • Pelle
    • Mane
    • Wanyama
    • Mayuka

Just Googled Premier League, and switched to news view. It's glorious. We are hot sh!t.

Like San Fran hot lunch?

As the sun comes up in Oz, I would consider it. If we got this result every week, otherwise no!

However, Sunderland were really crap. I watched the immense defence and midfield and attack of Man City (vs Spurs). This result gives me enthusiasm, but a draw vs Man City or Chelsea would seal the deal.

Edited by tpbury
my prediliction for San Fran hot lunch

Wow, what a result. The way some of the new players have settled in and got playing Koeman's way is incredible. I feared for us in the summer, but also made the point that it was still a fantastic job for RoKo as he had an opportunity to build his own team. And what a team he is building. If we want to finish higher than last season then we have to be winning games like this. To win it in this style though is incredible. It's really now about whether we can take points of of those teams who finished above us last season. I would have been happy with 12th and above, but are expectations changing? Is this team capable of upsetting the elite in the table?

What a utterly fantastic game of football! I've certainly not seen the like of it before and at my age I suppose I may never again be so fortunate. In a week when the government has so publicly criticised the cost of supporting the game performances like this remind a fan of just how great this wonderful sport of ours can be. Football may be a financial burden to many of us - but its also a blessing too. I took littlun with me and tried my best to explain to him just how rare and precious this result was, but I doubt he really comprehends bless him.

After a shaky first 20 minutes when I thought Sunderland gave at least as good as they got, we pressured the Mackem's defence into that remarkable OG and after that we never looked back frankly - indeed at times during the second half the Chapel net was bulging so regularly that I feared it might break. So many good performances on display from our players that it almost seems unfair to single anyone out, but to be unfair to the others I thought that Nat Clyne and Steve Davis were exceptional today.

I won't be able to make the coming Stoke fixture but I'll stick my neck out and predict that they won't fold like Sunderland did today. However, I strongly suspect that the prospect of playing our wonderful team and its formidable manager at St Marys is not a prospect that any team in this division now considers to be an inviting one.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

It was some goal.

In their defence, Sunderland looked alright going forward so far.

They started the game really well, they had good control and after 10 mins it looked like it could be a long afternoon.

But we did get our chances, and were just much more clinical. Their defence was the worst I've ever seen at this level, but we were still supremely clinical.

I wonder if those Dutch supporters who posted here that they were going with their Pelle flag, enjoyed themselves

RK tweeted a picture of his son and a group of his mates in Saints shirts ready to come to the game last night, I wonder if he is/was part of that group??

I wonder if those Dutch supporters who posted here that they were going with their Pelle flag, enjoyed themselves

They were in the front row of my Block, in their Feyenoord shirts, carrying a giant Italian flag with Pelle across it. Seemed to love the whole game but obviously got quite excited when you-know-who scored

Like San Fran hot lunch?

As the sun comes up in Oz, I would consider it. If we got this result every week, otherwise no!

However, Sunderland were really crap. I watched the immense defence and midfield and attack of Man City (vs Spurs). This result gives me enthusiasm, but a draw vs Man City or Chelsea would seal the deal.

No definitely not, despite being a spunky performance ?

Interesting you mention Man City. We genuinely looked like a top four team with tricky players that pass the ball about in the opponent's six yard box with near impunity. Some of the passing was glorious, as was some of the touches used to being things under control. Everybody's least favourite owl shaped England manager will look unwise on MOTD tonight. Clyne was superb at times. Remember seeing him bring a Hollywood ball under control, taking it past his man and bursting forward.

Saw a bunch of 10 year old nippers walking along Mount Pleasant singing Oh When The Saints on my way to the Farmhouse. Couldn't help feeling that this season may be crucial in our long term future. Eight bloody nil and top of the MOTD bill. I'm predicting that the pundits are going to give us slightly more than a patronising pat on the head.

What junior glory hunter is realistically going to stick the "Saints are sh!t" insult with a clean landing on Monday's school yards? How many of those juniors are thinking of switching allegiance? Success this season will be the foundation of the future fan base. Alright, it's only Sunderland, but it was eight nil, and while it might not win us a trophy, no Saints fan in St Mary's had to hunt for glory today.

Magnificent.

Wonderfully bonkers game that and a fantastic atmosphere. It felt we were playing with the handbrake on at times, especially during the first 55 mins, but Sunderland were such obliging opponents that it seemed rude of us not to stick it in the net, repeatedly. Can't say I've ever had the feeling after a game that we should have got double figures, but if Pelle had been a bit more on his game we could easily have. Tadic was immense, Clyne also very impressive, and Cork shone in centre midfield. Only thing missing from the game was a Shane Long goal but thought he had a decent 60 mins before going off. Really interesting seeing the relationship between Pelle and Tadic on the pitch. They constantly berate and shout at each other, but seem to be developing a great chemistry and they really feed off of each other's energy. Top 6 has to be a realistic aim now. The squad seems much better equipped to ride out what will be very tough Christmas period. But if we remain in contact with the top 4 at turn of the year, then we'll have a fantastic chance of bettering last year's finish.

Edited by Toon Saint

In NZ, woke up at 3:30 am, couldn't sleep, listened on Saints Player. Thought I was dreaming. Lost count for FFS Sake! Fantastic that this is my team - after the years of ups and downs, particularly the last decade, can it get any better at all????

Hmmmmm where to start.

You quite often hear the term "he was unplayable", but I've never really bought into it, or maybe more to the point believed it....until today.

I am still angry with Lallana about the way he left and the comments he made - but am also very aware of everything he did for us and the significant part he has played in our recent history..... but if it hadn't already been put to bed, it was this afternoon. On about 40 minutes I wouldn't have swapped ten lallana's for one Tadic, who was simply "Unplayable" I am intrigued how this player has flown under the radar of the big guns and ended up down here. I think we should enjoy him whilst he is here, horrible feeling it won't be for long.

Talking of Long.... thought he was outstanding today. The 12 million fee will always be a millstone around his neck, but that's because he was bought as a "12 million" pound striker. Change that to simply a "12 million player" and he looked every bit the part.

We won't get many days like these, so they are there to be enjoyed, although there was something very sobering about Koeman talking about the first 20 minutes and he was genuinely angry and disappointed in how we started. He sounds like a perfectionist and I love him.

This team is a joy to watch. We are not World beaters, but we are a very very very good side, with technical, physical, and mental strength in every position. I will not be making any holiday plans until the season is over.....there may well be a European tour to budget for

Just back from the game / pub. Sunderland properly jacked it in after the 4th but having said that I thought Davis, Clyne and Long were excellent. Really impressed with Long today and the energy and clever runs Davis makes open up the game for everyone else