So when is the 8-0

Dr Who?

The interesting fact with the 9-3 result against Wolves was that the scoring for that game ended in the 60th minute when Terry Paine scored number 9.:lol:

I was up in one of the Chocolate Boxes and we were, not unreasonably, convinced we were going to run up a double figures scoreline.

I still have all the Pinks from that promotion season...here's that week's...

saints 9-3 sprts echo.jpg

Good job your memory is sooo much better than mine!

My memory is all due to Fitzhugh Fella. It was the season before my first game - glory hunter once we got to the 1st division, been waiting for the glory ever since :-) Brought in as a replacement for Campbell Forsyth when he broke his leg. In an era when playing with a Scottish goalkeeper was considered akin to playing with 10 men we played three different Scots in the one season, Forsyth, MacLaren and the great Eric Martin.

In respect of Dave Maclaren's performance in the 9-3 drubbing I quote the Sports Echo... "The Saints would have scored perhaps another five or six goals had it not been for some magnificent saves by Wolves' goalkeeper Dave Maclaren" Signing him less than a year later doesn't seem so strange...obviously Ted Bates had been impressed.

I was up in one of the Chocolate Boxes and we were, not unreasonably, convinced we were going to run up a double figures scoreline.

As indeed was I and I got in too late for Wolves going 1-0 up with a Tony Knapp o.g in the 1st minute. Only found out about it when we went 2 up (in my mind) and a bigger kid told me to stop singing "2_0".

In respect of Dave Maclaren's performance in the 9-3 drubbing I quote the Sports Echo... "The Saints would have scored perhaps another five or six goals had it not been for some magnificent saves by Wolves' goalkeeper Dave Maclaren" Signing him less than a year later doesn't seem so strange...obviously Ted Bates had been impressed.

Pity he never played that well in the 6 months he was here.

9-3 v Wolves. Jimmy Melia played inside left in the middle of the field. For some reason he wore the No 9 shirt which in those days was the centre forward who was marked by the No 5. He followed Jimmy everywhere. That left a bloody great hole in the Wolves defence. It must have been late sixties.

9-3 v Wolves. Jimmy Melia played inside left in the middle of the field. For some reason he wore the No 9 shirt which in those days was the centre forward who was marked by the No 5. He followed Jimmy everywhere. That left a bloody great hole in the Wolves defence. It must have been late sixties.

September 18th 1965.

Wolves obviously knew nothing about his particular style of play. :rolleyes: