Stoke and Hughes just horrible

Roger

Watched them yesterday. Be tough to beat them twice and very physical expect injuries. Their crowd up there appeals for literally anything. Hope in cup be lower attendance. Hughes defence of his players yesterday was completely unforgivable. Don't like the bloke. Was rubbish when here too. Can we beat them twice?

Will be a close game, Hughes had them playing football for a while but they've kind of reverted to type this season. A lot of their success is just down to their strength and power and the way they attack the long ball.

I think we'll see what Toby is made of in this game, as he's not been particularly tested thus far.

Players like Bojan are understandably totally lost in that team.

Are they any worse than Westham in the physical stakes? We coped all right with them we aren't exactly a team of shrinking violets ourselves these days we've got some units in our team. I mean Stokes main goal threat is an aging Peter Crouch, Jonathan Walters and a Liverpool reject in Moses hardly a terrifying prospect.

Stoke fans, particularly ones that post on that forum have to be the oddest, most illogical fans in the league. They ***** and moan about every single team in the league, talking about how their fans are jumped up and deluded blah blah blah and that no one recognises what a good team they are now but then put down the achievements of other similar sized teams. They talk about how they are proud that no one likes them and yet cry about comments like these on here. Which one is it?

They constantly cry about Shawcross not being selected for England (I personally think he should) saying that he would get picked if he played for a bigger club but at the same time slate Hodgson for picking players like Shelvey, Clyne, Delph etc from smaller clubs saying that their sh***e as if good players can only come from top 4 clubs and Stoke.

They’re usually the first club to condemn players about diving or going down easily (just look at their comments about Cork) yet have jumped to the defence of Moses highlighting the slightest bit of contact and the fact the Bony did it to as an excuse.

Personally I think they just have a bit of a chip on their shoulder over being a bit of a stale mid-table club. Even the great atmosphere that they were known for has been on the wane for a couple of years. The only noise they make no is abusing the ref. They seem to hate us, calling us soft or whatever but if they had the choice between being known as a side who play great football and develop top English players or the team that no one likes they’d take the first option every time.

Anyway, rant over!

Moss will be the referee for the Stoke game. He was the one who was in charge for our Swansea game. Given out 5 reds so far this season including 1 Stoke player.

Art, you ain't gunna let them call you a "fu**ing bob on genius" is you?

Cool thing about their forum though, they can fu**ing curse. Seriously.

Stoke fans, particularly ones that post on that forum have to be the oddest, most illogical fans in the league. They ***** and moan about every single team in the league, talking about how their fans are jumped up and deluded blah blah blah and that no one recognises what a good team they are now but then put down the achievements of other similar sized teams. They talk about how they are proud that no one likes them and yet cry about comments like these on here. Which one is it?

They constantly cry about Shawcross not being selected for England (I personally think he should) saying that he would get picked if he played for a bigger club but at the same time slate Hodgson for picking players like Shelvey, Clyne, Delph etc from smaller clubs saying that their sh***e as if good players can only come from top 4 clubs and Stoke.

They’re usually the first club to condemn players about diving or going down easily (just look at their comments about Cork) yet have jumped to the defence of Moses highlighting the slightest bit of contact and the fact the Bony did it to as an excuse.

Personally I think they just have a bit of a chip on their shoulder over being a bit of a stale mid-table club. Even the great atmosphere that they were known for has been on the wane for a couple of years. The only noise they make no is abusing the ref. They seem to hate us, calling us soft or whatever but if they had the choice between being known as a side who play great football and develop top English players or the team that no one likes they’d take the first option every time.

Anyway, rant over!

And that just about sums them up. A nothing club going nowhere doing nothing despite being one of the highest net spenders over the last few years, and the chip on their shoulder is all so apparent. It particularly bothers them that the England coaches can be spotted regularly at St Mary's when they should, obviously, be at the Britannia watching Ryan Shawcross and who else exactly? Steve Sidwell?

The fact they still talk about Jack Cork is really quite pathetic. Still, their double standards on diving is now there for all to see after this week

Tough side to break down though and it will be a difficult game

Always amuses me how other teams get upset by what is being said on another teams forums.

Dear Oatcake's,

Like they seriously think we think we can crack the top four... You idiots!! Of course we don't FFS. That sort of thing really shouldn't have to be spelt out. Yes you get a few hypothetical threads on here but if you bothered to read a little more you would see the general consensus is that we would be delighted to go one, maybe two better places than last year.. given all that has happened to our team etc. It's really not that difficult to understand. We also have some melons on here who will go over the top.. every club has them. Stop tarring everyone with the same brush.

As for Stoke's reputation as a team of hoof-ball thugs - well so what if people think that?? What do you care?? Just shove it in our faces when you score that 40-pass wonder goal on Saturday. We can take it.

Oh and the real issue with the Oatcake fanzine is its stupid navigation. You scroll to the bottom reading the threads and then have to scroll back up to the top to get to the next page buttons. That is my biggest complaint about them. I couldn't care less about thuggery, Mark 'sodding' Hughes or Hoof ball. Move your next page buttons to the bottom of the page. Basics.

There, I've climbed down off my high horse, now get a grip!

OK. I give in.

I read all the comments on their thread and I've tried really, really hard to get irritated by them but I just can't.

They're such a cute, inoffensive kind of club. Even having moved from the ultimate in homely, snug little grounds that made you want to watch the match with your slippers on and a nice cup of tea.

As much as I try and hate them I can't help but love them. They're like the innocent little brother of the proper club just up the road, Portsmouth.

I think its great that they're all enjoying their brief moment of glory and fame. I would love to give all their cheeky little fans a collective tickle under the chin.

Cheeky little scamps. You've got to love 'em!

Now there is a proper fan who knows how to wind the opposition up He knew we were watching and he went for it. I hope there team are not half as clever on Saturday.

By the way oatcake boys if you are still watching. It doesnt really matter how you play its the points that count,after all the great Bill Shankly called us "Alehouse footballers"

Read more: http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/235923/southampton-view#ixzz3GssQkXya

Oh and the real issue with the Oatcake fanzine is its stupid navigation. You scroll to the bottom reading the threads and then have to scroll back up to the top to get to the next page buttons. That is my biggest complaint about them. I couldn't care less about thuggery, Mark 'sodding' Hughes or Hoof ball. Move your next page buttons to the bottom of the page. Basics.

Now you've really done it :)

Now you've really done it :)

Hehe. Its the only issue I have with them, honestly :)

They might very well play like Barcelona under Hughes but I hate their navigation!

'Back to top' shortcuts are an extra, unnecessary click IMO

...and yes.. I'm not being totally serious FYI :)

Edited by jasonb

Always amuses me how other teams get upset by what is being said on another teams forums.

Dear Oatcake's,

Like they seriously think we think we can crack the top four... You idiots!! Of course we don't FFS. That sort of thing really shouldn't have to be spelt out. Yes you get a few hypothetical threads on here but if you bothered to read a little more you would see the general consensus is that we would be delighted to go one, maybe two better places than last year.. given all that has happened to our team etc. It's really not that difficult to understand. We also have some melons on here who will go over the top.. every club has them. Stop tarring everyone with the same brush.

As for Stoke's reputation as a team of hoof-ball thugs - well so what if people think that?? What do you care?? Just shove it in our faces when you score that 40-pass wonder goal on Saturday. We can take it.

There, I've climbed down off my high horse, now get a grip!

Whooaaa there Oatcakes,

Don't let this looney ruin it for everyone. I think you'll find that the majority of us, quite rightly, think that we are comfortably in 3rd a quarter of the way through the season on merit and wouldn't be surprised to see us there in May. Have you seen us play? We're frick'in awesome.

I don't think that your knuckle dragging manager and his knuckle dragging team stand a chance on Saturday, and if you were honest with yourselves you probably don't either. I mean, really, come on. We're minted And keep popping out the sprogs from The Academy which will see us looking down on the likes of Stoke, Burnley and Crystal Palace for years to come. Our time is here, it's happening. Look at us.

Oh, and don't get excited about that 40 yard screamer that knob chops mentioned above, you wont get with in 40 yards to get a shot, we wont let you have that much space. So enjoy your day out but try not to leave a mess.

Art, you ain't gunna let them call you a "fu**ing bob on genius" is you?

Cool thing about their forum though, they can fu**ing curse. Seriously.

Ah, you can fúcking curse on here too.

You've just got to do it with an outrageous French accent.

Whooaaa there Oatcakes,

Don't let this looney ruin it for everyone. I think you'll find that the majority of us, quite rightly, think that we are comfortably in 3rd a quarter of the way through the season on merit and wouldn't be surprised to see us there in May. Have you seen us play? We're frick'in awesome.

I don't think that your knuckle dragging manager and his knuckle dragging team stand a chance on Saturday, and if you were honest with yourselves you probably don't either. I mean, really, come on. We're minted And keep popping out the sprogs from The Academy which will see us looking down on the likes of Stoke, Burnley and Crystal Palace for years to come. Our time is here, it's happening. Look at us.

Oh, and don't get excited about that 40 yard screamer that knob chops mentioned above, you wont get with in 40 yards to get a shot, we wont let you have that much space. So enjoy your day out but try not to leave a mess.

Hehe knob chops! Like it :)

Not heard that for a while. Right up there with cock scoffer or knob jockey.

5 things I like about Stoke:

They play in red and white stripes

Mark Hughes has got them playing far more attractive football than 'pulisball'

They have loyal players like Shawcross and Begovic, who have so far resisted the overtures of bigger clubs.

The atmosphere in their ground is better than most of the so called bigger teams.

Charlie Adam may 'dish it out' but he can also take it.

I think Stoke and Hughes are less horrible. They play much more football than they used to but when you have a circus freak up front then you are duty bound to loft a few up there to him. May be an idea to play Gardos as No.1 CB to go up for headers with Mr Crouch. Indeed 3 CBs ( for height at set pieces an to quieten Crouch) + wing backs v Stoke would work quite well if we were feeling adventurous. We seem to have some intelligent players who can play in different systems so just a thought.

Tough game v a hardworking organised bunch who will be on their guard after last week......

Last weekend is a different planet, it's history.

If any clubs learn from Sunderland the lesson is, don't take Saints on at football - Poyet decided to take on our Dagenham and Redbridge style with his pressing game. :lol:

I now expect buses galore and teams coming for a point.

The art will be grinding out the one goal that we need in those tough games, especially after we wasted seven last week on a team when one goal would have done it.

Good news is I think Tadic has it in him to create those openings - it's called a Plan B.

Delap, hugging bottom, crouch, fuller. How many more ageing saints have they bought? And they have the audacity to call us high and mighty and above ourselves when they pick up the scraps we throw out! Stoke are a simple team who play simple football. Direct doesn't always mean long ball and hard doesn't always mean dirty. Stoke are direct, they are hard and they have desire. Our rejects rejuvenated their careers up their and done bloody well and I am proud of each one of them. Stoke do what Stoke do, they try hard, battle hard and play hard, there's no shame in that, it's why I love watching stoke play arsenal or Chelsea or the like. But, if their fans are so anti other teams forums calling out this obvious toughness, they are obviously arm chair supporters who must have laptops. Get a life stoke fans, your team are direct and tough to break down, end of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delap, hugging bottom, crouch, fuller. How many more ageing saints have they bought? And they have the audacity to call us high and mighty and above ourselves when they pick up the scraps we throw out! Stoke are a simple team who play simple football. Direct doesn't always mean long ball and hard doesn't always mean dirty. Stoke are direct, they are hard and they have desire. Our rejects rejuvenated their careers up their and done bloody well and I am proud of each one of them. Stoke do what Stoke do, they try hard, battle hard and play hard, there's no shame in that, it's why I love watching stoke play arsenal or Chelsea or the like. But, if their fans are so anti other teams forums calling out this obvious toughness, they are obviously arm chair supporters who must have laptops. Get a life stoke fans, your team are direct and tough to break down, end of

Thought those players left us because of relegation?

Thought those players left us because of relegation?

I thought it would be the stoke fans that would only read the first few lines. But, I suppose laptop huggers exist on all forums! And if any stole fans are reading this, you'll notice I sent it from my iPhone as any idiot knows, you can't type on a laptop whilst on a horse as you still need both hands, one to stop the laptop falling off and the other to bash it out!