Stoke 2 Saints 3 - Match & Reactions

Wiggles31

MotM vs Stoke (Away 2014/15 League Cup)  

243 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Stoke (Away 2014/15 League Cup)

• Forster
    • Targett
    • Clyne
    • Gardos
    • Fonte
    • Schneiderlin
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Long
    • Tadic
    • Pelle
    • Cork
    • Alderweireld

Would bring in Gardos, Long and Wanyama but not sure who I'd rest.

Could see this one going to extra time (hope not).

Important game this! How many fans are we taking up?

At least 2. I'm going with a mate.

Is Targett fit? If so, think he'll play.

Agree Tadic needs a break, can play Mane and Long either side of Pelle.

Wonder if Morgan may also get a rest, and Bertrand plus maybe Clyne who is an explosive player and plays a lot of minutes?

I would probably go with:

Forster

Toby - Fonte - Gardos - Targett

Wanyama - Cork - Davis

Mane - Pelle - Long

I'd go for:

Forster

Clyne Gardos Fonte Targett

Wanyama Schneiderlin Reed

Long Pelle Tadic

I'm going up in a group of 5. Pompey took 900 up there on a Wednesday night a few months ago, so we'll have to beat that. I think tickets are only being sold for the back half of each block, the same as the pompey match.

Got to make sure the squad is properly rotated for this one, can't risk losing big players when we've got some tough games coming up in the next month. Is Gallagher back for this one?

Saw a photo which showed him after an operation. No idea what's wrong with him, possibly a bit personal hence the lack of club coverage over it.

Whatever it is, I hope he's on the road to a full recovery.

Was it not this that Poch was heavily criticised for, against Sunderland?

We made changes against Arsenal in the last round and beat them - nothing wrong with rotation when done properly. Mourinho very rarely plays the same XI two weeks in a row, it's all about making sure you have the right balance in the team you put out.

Saw a photo which showed him after an operation. No idea what's wrong with him, possibly a bit personal hence the lack of club coverage over it.

Whatever it is, I hope he's on the road to a full recovery.

Didn't even realise he had an operation tbf, looks like he had it on Tuesday so not expecting him to be involved for at least a couple of weeks! Just thinking of who could come in for Pelle up front if need be to provide a bit of a physical presence as Long will get gobbled up by their defence.

Agree Tadic needs a break, can play Mane and Long either side of Pelle.

Wonder if Morgan may also get a rest, and Bertrand plus maybe Clyne who is an explosive player and plays a lot of minutes?

I would probably go with:

Forster

Toby - Fonte - Gardos - Targett

Wanyama - Cork - Davis

Mane - Pelle - Long

Yep, this line up for me too

We made changes against Arsenal in the last round and beat them - nothing wrong with rotation when done properly. Mourinho very rarely plays the same XI two weeks in a row, it's all about making sure you have the right balance in the team you put out.

I was there and agree. Sorry I misinterpreted what you meant by "properly rotated". Targett, Gardos, Vic and Long will be the right amount of changes for me, plus a couple off the bench if things are going ok.

Edited by Bucks Saint

I'd go for:

Forster

Clyne Gardos Fonte Targett

Wanyama Schneiderlin Reed

Long Pelle Tadic

I'm going up in a group of 5. Pompey took 900 up there on a Wednesday night a few months ago, so we'll have to beat that. I think tickets are only being sold for the back half of each block, the same as the pompey match.

My ticket is Row 1, so don't think you're right.

Would play: Forster; Clyne Fonte Gardos Targett; Wanyama Davis Morgan; Mane Pelle Long.

Would bring in Gardos, Long and Wanyama but not sure who I'd rest.

Could see this one going to extra time (hope not). Important game this! How many fans are we taking up?

I'd go with your selections, too but Koeman loves to play his regular players every time, so he might not change anything.

The away fixture will be very different than the home, but there's also no danger of losing 3 points, so we can afford a few changes /experiments.

An extra CB (Gardos) on Crouch should work... and Wanyama as DM will also add strength to the midfield.

Shane Long needs game time, so maybe rest Tadic for an hour, then sub.him on. In theory we can win this one, too. especially as Hughes won't want all his first-teamers playing 3 times in a week.

Edited by david in sweden

although I can see changes being made

but we shouldnt if we are serious about going through

changes are what cost us last season

I wonder if the reaction will be the same as sunderland away last season, if we go out after making 4/5 changes?

Edited by Batman

Should be a good turn-out of Midlands Saints as it's comparable to a home match for us 'travellers'.

Not going to predict the scoreas I lost yet another £5! On Saturday with a 3-0 bet. I believe we will win anyway.

Posted before elsewhere but does anyone have an idea of a decent pub to meet in the town?

This goes against my usual philosophy, but a weakened team please. It would be different if it were the FA cup, but for this cup, nah.

I want Euro qualification from the league....It's actually becoming possible IMO. I would sacrifice this for the FA cup, but not for this one.

Great thing is we have two players per position and squad is stronger than last season; Davis, Pelle and Tadic need resting, back 5 not had much to do keep them, but give Gardos a go. Why has no one mentioned Mayuka so far? How about starting with him and Long up front?

Think we will change it around a bit, if only to give Stoke something to think about. Koeman appears to be a great tactician. Don't think there will be too many changes though. Target to get some more game time. Rest Tadic to save him from too much punishment. Other than that, maybe start with Wanyama instead of Either Cork or Schneiderlin. Expect 2 or 3 youngsters on the bench (Reed, McCarthy, and either Isgrove or McQueen would be my bet, but would love to see Seager amongst them)

I wonder if the reaction will be the same as sunderland away last season, if we go out after making 4/5 changes?

We made 5 changes to the starting line up in the last round vs Arsenal and no-one seemed to mind....

Big differences:

1) FA cup vs. League Cup (or whatever they call it now).

2) We were locked in at 8th place late in the season when we played Sunderland, with maybe a drop to 9th the worst case scenario.

3) A win against Sunderland would've taken us to the quarter finals, with many of the big boys out.

4) Deeper squad this time, so 4/5 changes won't weaken the team as much as it did last year against Sunderland.

This goes against my usual philosophy, but a weakened team please. It would be different if it were the FA cup, but for this cup, nah.

I want Euro qualification from the league....It's actually becoming possible IMO. I would sacrifice this for the FA cup, but not for this one.

Playing a midweek game won't necessarily make a footballer play poorly on the Saturday. He may well rest a few but doesn't follow that gives a stronger chance against Hull.

Arguably winning mentality and momentum are more important.

We made 5 changes to the starting line up in the last round vs Arsenal and no-one seemed to mind....

Because we won

I think we will win anyway

But will anyone have the hump if we don't and we make 4/5 changes?

It was such an issue last season, surely people will stamp their feet???

Because we won

I think we will win anyway

But will anyone have the hump if we don't and we make 4/5 changes?

It was such an issue last season, surely people will stamp their feet???

Will depend on how we lose and the team put out. And, as has been explained, this is a completely different set of circumstances to the Sunderland FA Cup game.

I know it won't impact your usual "everyone is a hypocrite" schtick so not sure why I or anyone else is bothering in pointing out the differences.

Enjoy spending the next 48 hours making the same point over and over again.

Will depend on how we lose and the team put out. And, as has been explained, this is a completely different set of circumstances to the Sunderland FA Cup game.

I know it won't impact your usual "everyone is a hypocrite" schtick so not sure why I or anyone else is bothering in pointing out the differences.

Why are you so certain that we will lose is it written by Nostradamus somewhere?

There is always the possability that after seeing how Stoke played the weekend Koeman will change it around to nullify their midfield or long balls to Crouch not that they had much going forward anyway and we will runout 0-3 winners.

LOL

Fair points. Just that this cup is easily our best chance of success. We wont be finishing top 4. we wont be going down.

So, it WOULD BE a huge let down (bit like last season) if we make 4/5 changes and lose the game

I think we will go through, but I have been wrong plenty in the past

Ah good news. Tickets have been sold in blocks 38 39 & 40 so would expect quite a big turn out

Good news, there will be a fair few paying on the day as well and being half term there's bound to be a few who make a last minute decision to go. If we have 2000 up there that would be an excellent turn out.

It will be interesting to see how strong a team Hughes puts out, their bench was quite strong on Saturday so even making changes won't weaken them much

Why are you so certain that we will lose is it written by Nostradamus somewhere?

There is always the possability that after seeing how Stoke played the weekend Koeman will change it around to nullify their midfield or long balls to Crouch not that they had much going forward anyway and we will runout 0-3 winners.

What? I'm not certain we'll lose and haven't said we will lose.

What are you on about?

LOL

Fair points. Just that this cup is easily our best chance of success. We wont be finishing top 4. we wont be going down.

So, it WOULD BE a huge let down (bit like last season) if we make 4/5 changes and lose the game

I think we will go through, but I have been wrong plenty in the past

It is our best chance of success. People saying "wait for the FA Cup" are ridiculous as we can be in the semis of this before we kick a ball in the FA Cup, that's two legs away from Wembley.

I will be gutted if we go out, but I doubt RK will treat the cups with the contempt that Argentine did. We'll be giving it a go.