Is Itchen North better than The Northam

Stevie61163

The section too the left as you look out at the pitch were singing all game with the ones too the right occasionly joining in all in all it made for a good atmosphere just shows what can be when the corners are filled in as for the game were very female friendly plenty of fore play and flicking it around the box but all us fans really want I'd a bit more penetration when in the box ie shoot

Read more:*http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/236051/back#ixzz3HFuNaLZM

From where I sit in block 2 The Itchen North is far more vocal than The Northam.

With sustained vocal support for the majority ofthe match not just sporadic outbursts.

This is a view especially borne out from the oppositions viewpoint.

Did you go mate there support was the best I have heard in the prem for a long time

Really? The one section of fans next to us. They were quiet afl second half!

They had a pretty long rendition of 'when the Saints go marching in, I thought they were pretty loud to be fair, they were also very appreciative of the 'Jeremy Kyle' song*

more views from the opposition

Y

Read more:*http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/236051/back#ixzz3HFxjivnl

The section too the left as you look out at the pitch were singing all game with the ones too the right occasionly joining in all in all it made for a good atmosphere just shows what can be when the corners are filled in as for the game were very female friendly plenty of fore play and flicking it around the box but all us fans really want I'd a bit more penetration when in the box ie shoot

From where I sit in block 2 The Itchen North is far more vocal than The Northam.

With sustained vocal support for the majority ofthe match not just sporadic outbursts.

From what I can tell they might sing a lot but most of it is pretty cringeworthy.

1. Who the **** is Pochetino - who gives a ****, he's nothing to do with us, you make us look bitter and small time

2. We are Southampton we sing when we want - in response to away fans taking the **** out of us being quiet, do i need to say more

3. Oh When The Saints - sounds good wish we had another song as well though

4. some others that involve taking the **** out of away fans which is ok in moderation, not constantly though

What we need is an anthem, something the whole crowd can get to know and sing round the ground, something like, dare i say it the scousers singing you'll never walk alone, something where the team hears it and it gives them an extra stride, something the away team can be in awe of, making them disappear back into their shells when they hear all 4 sides singing it. Something that we become known for, doesn't have to be particularly about Southampton, just a rousing song that becomes associated with us.

Come on then clever fellas, any ideas as I'm far too thick to think of anything

Did you go mate there support was the best I have heard in the prem for a long time

Really? The one section of fans next to us. They were quiet afl second half!

They had a pretty long rendition of 'when the Saints go marching in, I thought they were pretty loud to be fair, they were also very appreciative of the 'Jeremy Kyle' song*

more views from the opposition

Y

Read more:*http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/236051/back#ixzz3HFxjivnl

Yes I did go.

From what I can tell they might sing a lot but most of it is pretty cringeworthy.

1. Who the **** is Pochetino - who gives a ****, he's nothing to do with us, you make us look bitter and small time

2. We are Southampton we sing when we want - in response to away fans taking the **** out of us being quiet, do i need to say more

4. some others that involve taking the **** out of away fans which is ok in moderation, not constantly though

What we need is an anthem, something the whole crowd can get to know and sing round the ground, something like, dare i say it the scousers singing you'll never walk alone, something where the team hears it and it gives them an extra stride, something the away team can be in awe of, making them disappear back into their shells when they hear all 4 sides singing it. Something that we become known for, doesn't have to be particularly about Southampton, just a rousing song that becomes associated with us.

surely? :p

I was in block 1 yesterday we gave it a ****ing good go second half got OWTS going for about 15 minutes, tried a few other chants/songs to though not as successfully, which I thought was pretty good for us the nipper loved it spent most of his saints supporting life in the Chapel so this was a new experience for him.

Is this a serious post or not?

yes it's serious, would you like to explain what you mean by that, make sure you say it all though I only have one post left and can't be arsed to waste it on sarcastic comments or questions

Most of our support was "cringeworthy" you say? So you'd include the 15 minutes of OWTS non-stop in the 2nd half within that? Furthermore, how did that correlate with your suggestion that the Itchen North takes the p**s out of away fans constantly?

You ask for an "anthem" that the whole ground can sing - what is wrong with OWTS? That is our "anthem". Large parts of St Marys don't sing full stop anyway.

We've got a fair array of songs, the same as most clubs really. Which grounds have you been to over the last couple of years that are better?

yes it's serious, would you like to explain what you mean by that, make sure you say it all though I only have one post left and can't be arsed to waste it on sarcastic comments or questions

Maybe, just maybe (and I'm guessing here), he is wondering how on earth you've missed our song, you know the one sung slowly, loudly and proudly by pretty much the whole stadium at times yesterday, one of the most famous songs in football, copied by other clubs but ultimately ours. OWTS.

In response to the OP, me and my mates moved to block 2 a few years ago to get away from the morons in the Northam, the best example being the nutcase that screams "PORK" over and over again every week. In the Itchen the away fans can see you and hear you, they very rarely even acknowledge we have a vocal element in the Northam as you can't hear them from that end of the ground. No way I'd move back, although the only thing stopping the Itchen going back to the days of a few years back is the club using block 3 for club tickets, an area completely silent during the game bar a few long standing ST holders that have somehow kept their seats there.

Most of our support was "cringeworthy" you say? So you'd include the 15 minutes of OWTS non-stop in the 2nd half within that? Furthermore, how did that correlate with your suggestion that the Itchen North takes the p**s out of away fans constantly?

You ask for an "anthem" that the whole ground can sing - what is wrong with OWTS? That is our "anthem". Large parts of St Marys don't sing full stop anyway.

We've got a fair array of songs, the same as most clubs really. Which grounds have you been to over the last couple of years that are better?

The OWTS for 15 minutes sounded brilliant I agree, hats off to all who were singing.

I just don't see OWTS as rousing and something that will raise the players' performance, whilst it is our song and one which we are known for (though other teams seem to want to steal it), it would be great if we had another song that was in the same vein as Celtic's and Liverpools You'll Never Walk Alone.

A lot of the songs seem to be in response to the away fans, would be great if all our songs were directed at the team, singing about Southampton, urging them on.

Not saying we are any different than most clubs, would be good to stand out from the crowd though.

Unfortunately haven't been abale to afford to go away since we've been promoted, looks like this may be the last year I have a season ticket too, what with the prices and cost of living going up.

OWTS for 15-20 mins constantly yesterday was class. Stoke fans were looking over and had no response to it- it shut them up completely. All they could sing back was 'boring, boring, boring'. There is some proper sh*t that gets sung in Itchen North though. We are southampton we sing when we want, and you're so northern you eat off the floor. Typical unfunny Soccer AM type 'banter'.

I'm in the Kingsland North and thought the Itchen were excellent yesterday while the Northam was very quiet. When the Itchen were singing non stop for about 20 mins we were really trying to get the Kingsland N/Northam to join in but no one seemed interested. Even more disappointing as the team really needed us in that second half.

Would love to get back to the good old days before the Itchen corner was closed, we had one of the better atmospheres in the country then but it's never been the same since. Well done the Itchen yesterday though.

From the family stand I could hear the Itchen singing more than the Northam, but when the Northam got going they were louder. It's ideal to have both sides going at the away fans. A lot of grounds only have one singing section so when both are being loud it sounds superb.

There are still plenty of times when we go quiet for long spells, although that's pretty much the same at every ground.

I'm in the Kingsland North and thought the Itchen were excellent yesterday while the Northam was very quiet. When the Itchen were singing non stop for about 20 mins we were really trying to get the Kingsland N/Northam to join in but no one seemed interested. Even more disappointing as the team really needed us in that second half.

Would love to get back to the good old days before the Itchen corner was closed, we had one of the better atmospheres in the country then but it's never been the same since. Well done the Itchen yesterday though.

For various reasons and under different regimes, the Itchen corner atmosphere has been ruined a bit by the club. Some of the best St marys atmospheres were around 2008 I think when the Itchen North all stood blocks 1, 2 and 3.

For our anthem Maybe we could stick to type copy someone else? do a version of 'fields of Anfield road' perhaps 'fields of Milton road'?

Something like

All around the fields of Milton road

Where we once watched king Matty play (and he could play)

we had Paine on the wing

We had dreams and songs to sing

Of the glory round the fields of Milton road

That'd be boss, yeah?

OWTS for 15-20 mins constantly yesterday was class. Stoke fans were looking over and had no response to it- it shut them up completely. All they could sing back was 'boring, boring, boring'. There is some proper sh*t that gets sung in Itchen North though. We are southampton we sing when we want, and you're so northern you eat off the floor. Typical unfunny Soccer AM type 'banter'.

I used to love the banter in the Itchen north

'Small town in villa' at Birmingham fans

'Small town in city' at Man United fans

'Liverpool' at Man United fans

'We are southampton we sing our own songs' at spurs

Genius stuff at times

For various reasons and under different regimes, the Itchen corner atmosphere has been ruined a bit by the club. Some of the best St marys atmospheres were around 2008 I think when the Itchen North all stood blocks 1, 2 and 3.

Agree, I remember a few games in the Championship around that time when the ground was really rocking. Shame it's not like that anymore, but shows what we are capable of.

Was in Block 40...was nice to hear Itchen North but suspect it was a more down to the feeble number of Stoke fans between us. Think we've been ok for singing, generally, this year - it's easy to be self-critical but it's warranted a mention from a few sets of opponents this season...and that we're quite spontaneous on subject matter too. I cracked up at the 'last on MOTD' that even MOTD featured and 'Where's all our players gone' is excellent both as a boost to the current team and a p*ss take to the opposition (and, of course, those that soak sheets!;)).

Before Itchen North closed it was class. Kingsland North is loudest part of the ground now. Northam is overrated and kills off most good songs the Kingsland North gets going because it decides to sing it 100 MPH. Alot of of away fans say they can't hear the Northam much. Haven't bin many grounds with a better atmosphere than us though.

Northam is still much better, can't even hear Itchen most of the time.

FWIW I thought the support from the Northam in the tough period of the second half yesterday was excellent best I have heard for a while, no anxiety taking over.

Weird isn't it I was the Itchen North yesterday didn't here anything coming from the Northam at all second half guess it's just the way the grounds built.

I used to love the banter in the Itchen north

'Small town in villa' at Birmingham fans

'Small town in city' at Man United fans

'Liverpool' at Man United fans

'We are southampton we sing our own songs' at spurs

Genius stuff at times

Personally, I preferred "Lino, you're a ****, Lino, Lino, you're a ****"

Clowns too the left of me jokers too the right. I agree with there posters who said we could of won by more though.

My favourite lino song was when the Northam sang "you should be washing up" to the female linesman. Whichever wag came up with that should quit their job and become a sticom writer because it was complete and utter, unparallelled comedy genius.

My favourite lino song was when the Northam sang "you should be washing up" to the female linesman. Whichever wag came up with that should quit their job and become a sticom writer because it was complete and utter, unparallelled comedy genius.

Right out of the Bernard manning school of comedy that one.

Take it you never saw Wendy Toms run the line at the Dell then?

Take it you never saw Wendy Toms run the line at the Dell then?

Yep. She was no worse than some of the blokes. It's fine to be calling them out for shitty decisions it's just that gender is completely immaterial in their ability to do the job.

Yep. She was no worse than some of the blokes. It's fine to be calling them out for shitty decisions it's just that gender is completely immaterial in their ability to do the job.

When its time of the month wouldn't they be more likely to give marginal offsides?

i think that the original point that I was making was not really who was the best, but with the way St Marys is set out is that if you are not directly opposite the section that is singing you don't really hear it. Very often I go home thinking that the Northam has not sang all game because it is very rare that we hear them in the Itchen North. The only thing I will say is that when the Itchen North get the OWTSGMI going repeatedly for 10- 15 minutes continuously the away fans do not have a clue how to respond. they may try to drown us out but it only lasts a few seconds and then we are right back on them with OWTSGMI. It would be great if both the Itchen and Northam kept this up together rather then keep singing anti-pompey songs. I would much prefer that we get behind OUR team vocally to really give the boys on the pitch a lift.

i think that the original point that I was making was not really who was the best, but with the way St Marys is set out is that if you are not directly opposite the section that is singing you don't really hear it. Very often I go home thinking that the Northam has not sang all game because it is very rare that we hear them in the Itchen North. The only thing I will say is that when the Itchen North get the OWTSGMI going repeatedly for 10- 15 minutes continuously the away fans do not have a clue how to respond. they may try to drown us out but it only lasts a few seconds and then we are right back on them with OWTSGMI. It would be great if both the Itchen and Northam kept this up together rather then keep singing anti-pompey songs. I would much prefer that we get behind OUR team vocally to really give the boys on the pitch a lift.

I had Saints fans telling me that annoyed them. ms pap and Upgrade 2 were not impressed either.

My view is that you're spot on, that game in particular. I've seen a few sets of fans do that. Man Utd fans sang a repeating dirge that can best be described as "soup" last season. I'm not even sure it contained any words.

I may be overstating our importance as fans here, but in edgy one nils, I do think the fans play twelfth man. Deny their support the chance to support. And do it singing actual f**king words too ?

I had Saints fans telling me that annoyed them. ms pap and Upgrade 2 were not impressed either.

My view is that you're spot on, that game in particular. I've seen a few sets of fans do that. Man Utd fans sang a repeating dirge that can best be described as "soup" last season. I'm not even sure it contained any words.

I may be overstating our importance as fans here, but in edgy one nils, I do think the fans play twelfth man. Deny their support the chance to support. And do it singing actual f**king words too

The United song in question you're talking about does in fact have words and is about 10x more complex than anything our lot could ever come up with or manage to sing. Google it, United Calypso it's called.

The United song in question you're talking about does in fact have words and is about 10x more complex than anything our lot could ever come up with or manage to sing. Google it, United Calypso it's called.

I'm a fair man, Griffo. I did Google this and acknowledge that it has words.

They don't manage to sing it, though. Singing usually involves consonants.

Stoke game was the loudest i have heard Itchen North. Fair to say that they did out sung Northam more often than not tbh (I was sat in Chapel with my old man and we remarked on it during the game). Both stands did a great job though.