General Election 2015

trousers

I had to stay up until 4.30am for the Eastleigh result. Not only returned to the Tories, but it is no longer a marginal. It was lovely watching the Lib-Dems vote collapse all around the country. So Milliband was unelectable after all.

it will stay together. Friends of mine in Helensburgh all voted NO on the referendum but openly voted for SNP yesterday. They said they will always vote NO as they want to be part of the UK but want the SNP to be their voice in the UK

This.

it will stay together. Friends of mine in Helensburgh all voted NO on the referendum but openly voted for SNP yesterday. They said they will always vote NO as they want to be part of the UK but want the SNP to be their voice in the UK

I dunno, we are going to get a much more extreme right wing government than before, can only turn more people towards independence IMO - which is the SNP's plan and aim.

Plus if the UK votes to leave the EU they can claim that gives them grounds for another referendum - only good thing is the Tories will just tell them to f*ck off.

The SNP gains have no effect on the Tories winning a 326+ seat total

Of course it did, the threat of an SNP lead coalition would have increased the Tories vote big time.

You need to be pretty thick not to understand that, that was part of the Tories whole strategy.

I dunno, we are going to get a much more extreme right wing government than before, can only turn more people towards independence IMO - which is the SNP's plan and aim.

Plus if the UK votes to leave the EU they can claim that gives them grounds for another referendum - only good thing is the Tories will just tell them to f*ck off.

The UK won't vote to leave the EU. The referendum will have to go ahead now, but it's utterly pointless.

Amazed that Labour played about with Southampton Itchen with Rowenna Davis.

:( I thought you ran a good campaign on here pap. Sorry bout the result, but at least you can now spend more time with ur family :thumbup:

Oh well. Another four years of white, privileged men, creating policies for white, privileged men. Good luck NHS, hope you survive the experience.
Conservative support across England is a obviously a lot more than that. Its that narrow minded view that holds sections of the Labour party back.

Well, well, well, that I did not expect.

Although I would have liked another coalition to help Cameron hold of the advances of the right of his party, it's a good result.

Glad to see the ridiculous nature of Labour's campaign, the 'endorsement' from that fücktard Brand and Owen Jones, The Mirror (worst paper in the UK along with the Express) and the Guardian readership (all 100 of them) hasn't managed to shock Britain into unnecessary change - very proud of the electorate and their ability to block out these outside sources and vote for the most credible option.

What the left have to understand is that without a credible leader for ANY of your parties you will not win another election. Last time for a while that Labour will take the explicit backing of the unions as wel, they need to get back to the middle to get their vote back.

As for the SNP, Sturgeon has managed to kill off the Labour Party in Scotland, and keep the Tories in Downing Street, exactly what her party needed for another referendum. Bet she's chuffed to pieces.

Just heard DCams victory speech. Seemed keen to press on with Scotch & Welsh devolution - potentially cutting them out of Westminster votes on a while heap of issues. That Tory majority could be about to get a whole lot bigger.

What's wrong with that . It's time the English got treated the same as the sweatys & Taffs.
I don't exactly follow Welsh politics that closely, but wasn't the voting there a bit of a surprise? Tory wins, UKIP getting a big % of vote, Plaid Cymru not doing that well. Fairly different situation to Scotland.

:( I thought you ran a good campaign on here pap. Sorry bout the result, but at least you can now spend more time with ur family :thumbup:

Heh, I only decided yesterday, finally.

It's the daughter I worry about. She's just come to the realisation that people still vote Tory, even if you show them the "domestic abuse".

What's wrong with that . It's time the English got treated the same as the sweatys & Taffs.

So let's have a separate elected English assembly, none of this half-hearted English MPs for English issues cr@p.

My personal 'soundbite' view of the result:

Ed was proved to be the millstone many thought;

the SNP will have no voice at Westminster, although they'll shout long and hard;

I still don't trust Gideon or IDS, ( though I accept many do - that's democracy );

I think the 'beware the SNP under the bed' meme was the most effective message of the campaign;

the biggest problem for a small Conservative majority will be the disproportionate influence of the right wing back benchers;

Best question of the night's coverage was Paxman to Boris on E4 'How long before you stab Cameron in the back ?';

At least I did my bit - I voted Labour and my constituency was a Labour gain from the Conservatives.

So let's have a separate elected English assembly, none of this half-hearted English MPs for English issues cr@p.

the SNP will have no voice at Westminster, although they'll shout long and hard;

I still don't trust Gideon or IDS, ( though I accept many do - that's democracy );

I think the 'beware the SNP under the bed' meme was the most effective message of the campaign;

the biggest problem for a small Conservative majority will be the disproportionate influence of the right wing back benchers;

Best question of the night's coverage was Paxman to Boris on E4 'How long before you stab Cameron in the back ?';

At least I did my bit - I voted Labour and my constituency was a Labour gain from the Conservatives.

I can't disagree with any of this.

There are a few silver linings.

First, the hated McVey lost her seat. A lot of LDs too. Looking like no coalition partners, which means that Cameron is probably going to have a hard time with his own backbenchers, who I suspect will be somewhat less bothered about bad publicity than the LDs. I do wonder where they would have gotten their extra seats from had they needed them. The big lessons here are "don't get into bed with the Tories", "don't elect someone as variable as Ed Miliband as your leader" and "be very careful with your political capital".

Labour and LDs lost a shítload of that last night. The pendulum will swing the other way, but we'll see it go right for another few more years. Hopefully, Labour are going to have a credible alternative next time around.

pls don't be prejudice against white males, lou. Don't just concentrate on our skin colour & penis, listen to our policies!

I'm not, I love white males! It's just ridiculous given the 50-50 male female split of the population, that white privileged males run the country.

We should all be gobsmacked by that, not just me!

Three times in one debate on TV she kept mentioning how the election was about "keeping the Tories out of No. 10" - which, I thought, was a weird and quite negative angle to take. And she was vitriolic and scathing towards DC as if he'd sh1t in her bed. Of course, I do understand the further north you go, the more disliked the Conservative Party is but I have to wonder why some people seem so absolutely against them. It's like irrespective if it's good for the country or not, some people will vote the other way regardless. Then again, those people are more likely from the "what's in it for me?" camp, so...*

*based on my limited interactions/experiences

How weird ... I don't think I once heard the Tories say the election was about keeping Red Ed out of Downing Street. Oh, hang on, I don't think I heard 'anything' else from the Tories in the last 2 weeks of the campaign - the Tories started off negative and it went downhill from there. Their original tactic was to marginalise/ridicule Miliband and when people actually saw and heard him he started to gain some traction they just set out to destroy him, classic playing the man not the ball stuff.

Tories played a blinder, over-cut in the first 2-3 years, got people used to the austerity narrative, then spent blindly on an inflated property bubble for the last two years. Didn't engage in much public debate, didn't particularly campaign on their record, didn't particularly have a view going forward of what they actually want for the country, backed into a corner by Ukip and their own 'looney right' into offering an in/out EU referendum, were allowed to float completely non-specific cuts of £12,000,000,000 to welfare, and then produced an astonishing list of un-costed magic money tree proposals right through the campaign (inheritance tax, extra £8b for NHS, right to buy, various tax cuts + threshold changes, extra child care) and the ultimate humiliation the Conservative and Unionist party reduced to pleading with Scots to vote Nationalist!

Labour, again, have failed spectacularly. Their core strategy of getting 35% of people into their camp was blown away mainly by the SNP and UKIP, and surprisingly at least some of the ex-LD vote appears to have gone to the Tories rather than Labour. Labour have never recovered (and looking at the 'new' electoral arithmetic) may never rule the UK or the rump-UK again. They have paid a massive price for the lies and myths that have grown up around the 'great crash' and I hope the guy who wrote that silly note about running out of money feel suitably pleased with himself this morning.

The most negative campaign we've ever seen in the UK and the most 'presidential' too, there were very few personalities on show (from any of the parties) and the more extreme (or the most challenging/interesting people depending on your point of view) were kept safely locked up and out of site for the duration of the campaign. Very few issues 'ran', it was the economy, economy, economy day-in, day-out. There was very little honest debate or vision about anything very much at all - health service, education, transport, all got tick box, sound bite type coverage but no deeper vision or analysis. Virtually nothing about 'internationalism', defence, environment, justice, social justice, future of the welfare estate, equality/inequality.

People have voted out of fear, rather than hope, the mantra appears to be 'I'm alright today, and if people below me who are already suffering badly have to suffer a bit more for me to keep my place in the pecking order, then that's just the way it is, the natural order of things. Things probably won't get much better for me but if I can keep my place things hopefully won't get worse for me either'.

Interesting times ahead, and the prospects for millions of people are about to get much harder, can you buy shares in foodbanks?

I'm not, I love white males! It's just ridiculous given the 50-50 male female split of the population, that white privileged males run the country.

We should all be gobsmacked by that, not just me!

Look, we let you have a Prime Minister in the 80s and you just made everyone v.angar with ur dumb Prime Ministering. It's probably best to leave it to the lads for now, we'll let you have another go in 2050 or something like that :thumbup:

It's been my though for a long time but this election absolutely confirms it - they should ban publishing opinion polls from 60 days before the election. They add nothing to the debate; as we have seen (again) they are all froth and ******** but they are covered in depth as 'news' and 'facts' by the media. All they do is create a false choice for voters and add to the general terror, in an ideal world people should vote for who they want (in a fully PR system) but all they do in FPTP system is encourage tactical voting on what we now know to be very partial and selective information. Did the ConLab vote really split from 34/34 to 36/30 in 24 hours?

Of course it didn't, someone somewhere is telling us a load of porkies, who those people are and why they would do that I couldn't possibly begin to speculate.

People have voted out of fear, rather than hope, the mantra appears to be 'I'm alright today, and if people below me who are already suffering badly have to suffer a bit more for me to keep my place in the pecking order, then that's just the way it is, the natural order of things.
What's your source for that opinion?

It's been my though for a long time but this election absolutely confirms it - they should ban publishing opinion polls from 60 days before the election. They add nothing to the debate; as we have seen (again) they are all froth and ******** but they are covered in depth as 'news' and 'facts' by the media. All they do is create a false choice for voters and add to the general terror, in an ideal world people should vote for who they want (in a fully PR system) but all they do in FPTP system is encourage tactical voting on what we now know to be very partial and selective information. Did the ConLab vote really split from 34/34 to 36/30 in 24 hours?

Of course it didn't, someone somewhere is telling us a load of porkies, who those people are and why they would do that I couldn't possibly begin to speculate.

If a hot polish bird with a clipboard come up to me and asked who i was voting on, I wouldn't say Conservative or UKIP or something like that, I would say I was voting on the More Ladies In Government Party, or Green Party or something like that, so that I don't look like a White Male Privilege :thumbup:

What a depressing night. Miliband has to step down and Labour need to be very careful about who leads them next. Not surprised that Clegg got a kicking after throwing his lot in with the Tories but who'd have thought the vote would go to the Tories? 5 more years without any checks. God help us.