General Election 2015

trousers

Look, we let you have a Prime Minister in the 80s and you just made everyone v.angar with ur dumb Prime Ministering. It's probably best to leave it to the lads for now, we'll let you have another go in 2050 or something like that :thumbup:

I'm not fussed if leader is male or female - whoever is best for the job. I am fussed by the lack of women generally in politics. It's a joke and bad for everyone.

I'm not, I love white males! It's just ridiculous given the 50-50 male female split of the population, that white privileged males run the country.

We should all be gobsmacked by that, not just me!

Not sure why anyone should be gobsmacked by that, it has been the case for ever, even under Thatcher. Not saying it is right but the days when the country is run by underprivileged, black lesbians is a long way off. It is the system.

What a depressing night. Miliband has to step down and Labour need to be very careful about who leads them next. Not surprised that Clegg got a kicking after throwing his lot in with the Tories but who'd have thought the vote would go to the Tories? 5 more years without any checks. God help us.

The Labour Party chose Miliband. The Labour Party chose to demonise Blair and centre left politics. The Labour Party needs to smarten up....

I'm not fussed if leader is male or female - whoever is best for the job. I am fussed by the lack of women generally in politics. It's a joke and bad for everyone.

:( It is v.sad that UK women are so lazy and disorganised. An all bird party could easily get into power if they applied themselves :thumbup:

Not sure why anyone should be gobsmacked by that, it has been the case for ever, even under Thatcher. Not saying it is right but the days when the country is run by underprivileged, black lesbians is a long way off. It is the system.

Who mentioned black underprivileged lesbians? That's as minority group as you could find. I'm talking mass population here.

I'm gobsmacked that in every other part of life we progress, but in politics we keep our head in the sand and accept the ridiculous.

I'm gobsmacked you're not gobsmacked!

These things take time though don't they. There will probably be more female MP's after this election just like there were more after 2010.

I'm not, I love white males! It's just ridiculous given the 50-50 male female split of the population, that white privileged males run the country.

Indeed. It was much better when we had a female shopkeeper's daughter running the show...

Who mentioned black underprivileged lesbians? That's as minority group as you could find. I'm talking mass population here.

I'm gobsmacked that in every other part of life we progress, but in politics we keep our head in the sand and accept the ridiculous.

we accept it as that is what people vote for. In a free election.

Not sure how to post the clip but "another little ego trip for the feminists"

We could do without that. More years of uncertainty.

Don't think Cameron can avoid it. Remember that this is a government that is going to require the goodwill of his backbenchers. 84 of them supported the last call for a referendum.

The gap between what was predicted and what happened suggests that a lot of voters made a late decision and eventually stuck with what they perceive to be a safe option with the current stable economy.

I hope that Mr Cameron takes that as a warning from the electorate that they made him sweat a bit, rather than reading the results as a massive vote of confidence and an encouragement to impose draconian measures or to further dismantle some key services.

He also has the problem now of the odd mad backbencher having the power to scupper votes.

Interesting times ahead.

... backed into a corner by Ukip and their own 'looney right' into offering an in/out EU referendum,

Typical left-wing assertion that anybody who happens to disagree with a particular political stance must be a looney.

The Conservative Party had made manifesto pledges on an EU referendum in previous elections. Perhaps you will kindly explain why you think that our Governments of the past can sign us up to these Treaties committing us to ever deeper participation in a Federal Europe with the resultant loss of sovereignty, and not have to put those commitments to the electorate for their approval.

Whilst you're at it, also please explain why you think that the message that the electorate sent by giving UKIP a massive endorsement for their policy to hold a referendum on Europe in the recent European Parliamentary elections should be ignored. Oh yes, don't bother; the electorate are looneys.

We should all be gobsmacked by that, not just me!

It's about time they let women vote as well, to stamp out such rampant discrimination once and for all.

Don't think Cameron can avoid it. Remember that this is a government that is going to require the goodwill of his backbenchers. 84 of them supported the last call for a referendum.

The number of votes cast for UKIP yesterday, alongside those for the Tories, are an indicator that at some point we have to address the Europe issue as a nation, hopefully to put the idea of leaving to bed for a long, long time. I'm not sure how much longer it can actually be avoided.

It was a tongue in cheek remark. If more women are to run the country more women have to get involved at grass roots level and beyond. We have a very active local female Tory councillor who is very, very ambitious but it needs lots, lots more. Its not a question of heads in the sand. It is a question of women putting themselves forward and breaking the glass ceiling. Thatcher should have made a difference but she hardly brought women on herself did she - and in truth was more manly than the men in her cabinet. I am not gobsmacked because I am 61 years old and have never known anything different. Another thing I would say is that Government is one area where being a middle class man is a plus - in most other areas it is a hindrance nowadays. I have just left the CPS and I can tell you there that it is mostly run by women.

The SNP is led by a woman. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Labour leader is a woman and maybe even the next Lib Dem leader.

The number of votes cast for UKIP yesterday, alongside those for the Tories, are an indicator that at some point we have to address the Europe issue as a nation, hopefully to put the idea of leaving to bed for a long, long time. I'm not sure how much longer it can actually be avoided.

I don't think it can and nor should it be.

Even as a pro-European I believe that there should be a referendum.

I'm Mrs Profoundly Depressed of Buckinghamshire. However, there are 3 results I'm overjoyed about:

1. Esther McVey lost her seat

2. Nigel Farage didn't win

3. That chinless wonder, Danny Alexander, lost his seat

At the time of the last election, I said I thought the Tories would never get a majority again. I was so, so wrong and I'll admit it. But I genuinely fear for the future of this country now.

Typical left-wing assertion that anybody who happens to disagree with a particular political stance must be a looney.

The Conservative Party had made manifesto pledges on an EU referendum in previous elections. Perhaps you will kindly explain why you think that our Governments of the past can sign us up to these Treaties committing us to ever deeper participation in a Federal Europe with the resultant loss of sovereignty, and not have to put those commitments to the electorate for their approval.

Whilst you're at it, also please explain why you think that the message that the electorate sent by giving UKIP a massive endorsement for their policy to hold a referendum on Europe in the recent European Parliamentary elections should be ignored. Oh yes, don't bother; the electorate are looneys.

Tories are in a very difficult place, they can now govern on their own wit hno LD concessions, but with a majority reduced from 70 to close to zero; their big-business backers are very much pro-Europe and moving out of the EU is generally seen as being bad for big-business/finance/city of London. The leadership will now be forced to squirm between their own big-business backers and their hard-line anti-Europe back-benchers. UKIP offered two distinct (but connected) policies, namely coming out of Europe and reducing immigration. I would suggest the majority of UKIP voters voted for the latter over the former. While Ukip clearly do attract voters from right across the spectrum including plenty of bright and articulate people (step fd our very own Lord D.) my, admittedly anecdotal, evidence based on what I've seen/read the last few weeks and living in Farage's actual putative constituency and having seen Farage and his followers canvassing down my actual street is that the majority of Ukip support is concerned first and foremost with 'immigration' and rather less with more peripheral concerns about sovereignty. I'm not sure you can take the Con's 36%? + UKIP's 10%? = 46%? of those that voted as a 'massive endorsement' (of ONE single policy)?

For what it's worth I don't disagree with the first part of your post, the EU has clearly grown and become increasingly undemocratic with little say from the people, but that's the price of a parliamentary democracy, we elect people to make decisions for us, we don't vote on single issues and parties don't stand on single issues, and we don't (generally) have referunda unless it's on big one-off issues, the EU has been established through 'creep' over 30+ years.

Clearly it is time for a straight in/out referendum with all sides agreeing to be bound by the result for a set number of years (20?); clearly in real life that won't happen, the side that loses will be back picking at it within 6 months (see Scottish devolution!)

Probably like a lot of issues in politics 'Europe' is massively important, but to a relatively small number of people. The reality is a lot of people give it little thought and to all intents and purposes it doesn't impact overtly on their day-to-day life either positively or negatively (although of course in reality Euro law underpins a lot of day-to-day stuff). If you ask people in the street or pub or at work their concerns they would be more likely to say: health/housing/cost of living/immigration/education/local issues before they ever say 'Europe'

Out of interest what do you think the split would be on an in/out vote?

I'll go 55/45 in favour of staying in.

I'm Mrs Profoundly Depressed of Buckinghamshire. However, there are 3 results I'm overjoyed about:

At the time of the last election, I said I thought the Tories would never get a majority again. I was so, so wrong and I'll admit it. But I genuinely fear for the future of this country now.

4. Ed Balls lost his seat (really happy he's gone - the exemplar of a machine politician).

But nothing can come close to overshadowing the really bad news that this marks the beginning of the true onslaught against the poor (working and non) and vulnerable in Britain. Nothing now can put a brake on the Tories' deep-seated instincts to crush the weak. I expect the social cleansing of London in particular to pick up pace dramatically, especially as, in the tradition of Lady Porter, there are votes in driving out the remaining working-class communities from the heart of the city.

These "instincts" just don't exist. They really, really don't.

Absolutely. Just imagine if they were to significantly improve the living standards of the less well off, they would sweep the board. To be fair I think both major parties want broadly the same thing but have differing ways of achieving it.

:lol: what a load of melodramatic twaddle.

That sounds a lot like sour grapes to me. So the guy you want didn't win, boo-hoo. It's hardly as if we've elected a BNP majority.

I've seen a few comments this morning along the lines of 'bye-bye' NHS etc. Like that's going to happen.

:lol: what a load of melodramatic twaddle.

I think some of them seriously thought that their favourites would gain power in some way or other. To all of those I'd say the same as Osborne yesterday, look at the mess that the idiot Holland has made in France and count yourselves lucky, at least you won't have the army on street corners to watch over the lunatic fringe.

I think some of them seriously thought that their favourites would gain power in some way or other. To all of those I'd say the same as Osborne yesterday, look at the mess that the idiot Holland has made in France and count yourselves lucky, at least you won't have the army on street corners to watch over the lunatic fringe.

Of course the Conservatives won't be perfect, but if Labour had won a majority I certainly wouldn't be describing it as an apocalyptic moment. It's pathetic tbh.