General Election 2015

trousers

Show me where I have said that the recession was nothing to do with the global crisis and that it was all Labour's fault and Brown's in particular. Also show me where I have attempted to give all the credit to the Tories to the exclusion of a recovery internationally.

You might consider my posts not to be measured or balanced, that is up to you; but please don't try and tar me with something that I didn't say to try and prove a point.

And thats the other thing you do - deny you ever said anything of the sort. When someone posts up the proof you claim the post meant something else entirely.

Everything bad = leftie w**kers whose sole motivated is jealously and envy.

Everything good = Righteous righties whose sole motivation is to help the poor and the needy.

You make Pap look balanced.

Although I agree with your rhetoric, there is also the inverse opinion that are subjected to the righties (or selfish ****s as I think they have been coined).

What if there is no-one who you feel represents you?

I don't think that really matters, there has to be at least one particular issue you have an stronger opinion about or effects you.

there is no party that represents me but I will always make sure I vote. I agree with with some policies of probably all the parties. I agree with UKIP on immigration, the Greens on Trident, closer to Labour on taxation and agree with the Tories stance on benefit scroungers. But I tend to vote Libral Democrat because they are the only major party that take the environment seriously and where I live it's a straight fight between them and the Tories.

Russel Brand has a point about big business holding all the power but still think it's worth voting, even if it only makes a little difference.

If you can't find someone who represents your values based on the wide range of options this election, then you really need to consider standing yourself at the next election. Maybe you've found a new niche. No one will ever agree with every policy from any party.

If you can't find someone who represents your values based on the wide range of options this election, then you really need to consider standing yourself at the next election. Maybe you've found a new niche. No one will ever agree with every policy from any party.

Just as no MP agrees with every policy of their party. Its all about finding best fit - and the party you vote for might change in general, council and Euro elections, or according to the candidate. Opting out simply hands the opportunity to someone else to choose for you.

Just as not every MP agrees with every policy of their party. Its all about finding best fit - and the party you vote for might change in general, council and Euro elections, or according to the candidate. Opting out simply hands the opportunity to someone else to choose for you.

Exactly. Best fit, and then getting involved in the debate to be able to influence.

Or vote for the canditate rather than the party. Find a good one and let them represent you.

I see that the Scottish version of 'The Sun' newspaper has formally backed the (very left of centre) SNP in the coming General Election.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-scotland-32523804

There was a time not so very long ago when gaining the editorial support of this paper was seen as an important political objective by leaders such as Tony Blair because 'The Sun' was seen to influence opinion significantly. I think that situation has actually reversed now - IE newspapers seem more to cynically follow the opinion of their readership rather than lead it.

newspapers seem more to cynically follow the opinion of their readership rather than lead it.

This. Quote about the Sun from that BBC story - " Its London-based version urged readers to back the Conservatives and "stop the SNP running the country". By contrast, the Scottish Sun said the Tories did not understand Scotland and praised SNP leader, Nicola Sturgeon, as "a phenomenon who inspires people".

I see that the Scottish version of 'The Sun' newspaper has formally backed the (very left of centre) SNP in the coming General Election.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-scotland-32523804

There was a time not so very long ago when gaining the editorial support of this paper was seen as an important political objective by leaders such as Tony Blair because 'The Sun' was seen to influence opinion significantly. I think that situation has actually reversed now - IE newspapers seem more to cynically follow the opinion of their readership rather than lead it.

I think I'm right in saying that if Labour wins the election it will be the first time the Sun hasn't backed the winner (or something like that anyway).

That said, their campaign against Labour doesn't seem particularly to be following public opinion when Labour is supported by in excess of 30% of the electorate

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

And thats the other thing you do - deny you ever said anything of the sort. When someone posts up the proof you claim the post meant something else entirely.

I'd like to say that Wes's catch phrase is "show me where I said that" but he'd only make out he's never ever said that and demand proof that he had.

I was thinking about that earlier and I can't for the life of me see how I come out almost exactly in the middle. Perhaps we should all do this test again?

I did it back in 2009, so 6 years ago.

I see that I was pretty central back then, occupying the centre ground with you and Hatch

Happy to compile the list again and see if there is any movement.

Here is the view on the current UK political parties....

uk2015.png

You can take the test here....

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test/

Post your results and I will plot them

I see that I was pretty central back then, occupying the centre ground with you and Hatch

uk2015.png

I'm pretty much the same place as last time:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpoliticalcompass?ec=-2.5&soc=-2.31

Christ, weird looking at that. I have changed a lot the last few years, which is weird as I don't think my values have changed that much. More the approach to them. Not sure I really want to show where I came out :blush:

EDIT: borls to it, hardly going to squash rumours I'm a raving nutter, but here you go https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-6.38&soc=-7.9

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

uk2015.png

Nobody's going to believe my result! I don't even believe it myself.

htcrhe.jpg

Christ, weird looking at that. I have changed a lot the last few years, which is weird as I don't think my values have changed that much. More the approach to them. Not sure I really want to show where I came out :blush:

EDIT: borls to it, hardly going to squash rumours I'm a raving nutter, but here you go https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-6.38&soc=-7.9

Almost exactly as I suspected TBH.

uk2015.png

Have you got the results? From memory it was me you shared the centre with, I was almost dead on top of your blob.

Moved slightly left and become slightly more Liberal.... Some of you may suggest I am moving in the right direction. At the current rate of "progress", I will become a Leftie within the next 6 years LOL

Economic Left/Right: 0.25

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21

When I get a spare 20 mins, I will plot everything on the same graph. Where you sit on the graph and how accurate it is, depends on where the centre of the graph is placed. However, it is useful in seeing how you compare to other posters in terms of Leftie Vs Right and Authoritarian Vs Liberal

Edited by Johnny Bognor

Moved slightly left and become slightly more Liberal....

Economic Left/Right: 0.25

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21

Some of you may suggest I am moving in the right direction LOL

When I get a spare 20 mins, I will plot everything on the same graph

You're the Shirley Williams of Saintweb!

1st draft... **** me, this is more interesting than the election

Compass_2015.jpg

Anything is more interesting than the election.

I find myself -2.0, -3.95 but there were a couple of questions where I wasn't quite sure how to answer, too many double negatives.

'A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system' for example. I may agree that there is an advantage from the party's point of view but if I strongly disagree that anybody should have a one-party state...?