Leicester Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

P 14 - W 3 - D 7 - L 4

4 Losses from 14, with one of those losses being 24 hours after his appointment.

Lowe getting rid of him was frankly ludicrous.

I have a lot of respect for Nigel Pearson. He instilled belief in team that had none and saved us from relegation, against the odds. Didn't deserve to be pushed out.

Yes, we've had technically better managers but his commitment and passion were great and he had a really good close rapport with fans.

I do not get all this blaming Lowe. The previous guys spent too much without a return and even though Crouch came to the rescue for a while it was too late. They gambled with our future and lost!

Lowe came back in to see if he could rescue but there was no money to pay for a decent Manager like Pearson. That is why we went down the cheap route. Even then it was too late.

If we had not been in the financial mess I am confident Pearson would have been engaged for a longer spell. However that is in the past. The present is beyond our wildest dreams from those dark days.

I spoke to rupert the day before he sacked him on phone and spoke to Nigel day after he was sacked so feel I've got reason to feel confident on this one.

Lowe got rid of Pearson because his ego was too bid to allow the chance of crouch/lawries appointment being successful and wanted to be the architect of another visionary project. Which went badly wrong again. Should have learnt after Wigley who he appoints without the right qualifications.

When I think back to the first game I ever attended (Nottingham forest at home, Le tiss scoring a late Penalty after Stone and Darchville (sp?) had put them ahead), The wooden structures of The Dell, the sloping end... It's very surreal to see our stadium, the quality of player throughout the side, the Image which we represent and the regard we are now held in. It's like a dream.

Unlike K billy, I will predict another win (2-0). No doubt he will say that the last 3 games of dire predictions were tricking our luck, but I think he's just a pessimist.

When I think back to the first game I ever attended (Nottingham forest at home, Le tiss scoring a late Penalty after Stone and Darchville (sp?) had put them ahead), The wooden structures of The Dell, the sloping end... It's very surreal to see our stadium, the quality of player throughout the side, the Image which we represent and the regard we are now held in. It's like a dream.

Unlike K billy, I will predict another win (2-0). No doubt he will say that the last 3 games of dire predictions were tricking our luck, but I think he's just a pessimist.

It wasn't a late pen it was from open play mate you're find. Le tiss was good that season. Couple of months before the 6-3.

It wasn't a late pen it was from open play mate you're find. Le tiss was good that season. Couple of months before the 6-3.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-stone-leaves-sad-saints-rock-bottom-1174902.html

[h=1]Football: Stone leaves sad Saints rock bottom[/h]

[h=3]Southampton 1 Le Tissier pen 89 Nottingham Forest 2 Darcheville 52, Stone 68 Attendance: 14,942[/h]THIS TIME there were only two goals conceded but it might so easily have been another five as a woeful Southampton slid to their third straight loss. With minimum close-season outlay, Forest have bedded down into a purposeful and intelligently functioning side, and here Steve Stone was back to the form which won him a place in the England team.

On the rare occasions when the Saints got their act together in front of goal they found Dave Beasant, the goalkeeper they let go to Forest for nothing last season, in unbeatable mood. The locals offered him warm applause at the end; in truth there was little else for them to applaud, apart from Matthew Le Tissier's injury-time penalty, and the Saints were roundly booed off the park.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-stone-leaves-sad-saints-rock-bottom-1174902.html

[h=3]Southampton 1 Le Tissier pen 89 Nottingham Forest 2 Darcheville 52, Stone 68 Attendance: 14,942[/h]THIS TIME there were only two goals conceded but it might so easily have been another five as a woeful Southampton slid to their third straight loss. With minimum close-season outlay, Forest have bedded down into a purposeful and intelligently functioning side, and here Steve Stone was back to the form which won him a place in the England team.

On the rare occasions when the Saints got their act together in front of goal they found Dave Beasant, the goalkeeper they let go to Forest for nothing last season, in unbeatable mood. The locals offered him warm applause at the end; in truth there was little else for them to applaud, apart from Matthew Le Tissier's injury-time penalty, and the Saints were roundly booed off the park.

Got my years mixed up.

Eeeeh, the good old days. 4th from bottom was always our dream and mostly we achieved it on the last nail biting day.

Leicester's starting XI looks really championship. I know a few on here got carried away with their win over man utd and declared them safe, but I think they'll do really well to stay up. For me it's the 3 promoted fighting Sunderland to stay up.

Match Leicester's workrate and we should win. They don't seem to have much pace, but obviously Nugent will be up for the game more than anyone. Hope Hammond and Pearson get a good reception.

I thought Vardy looked pretty quick when was terrorising Man U.

Lowe shouldn't have come in in first place. Brought nothing to table. He made mistake after mistake with managers and was the worst thing to happen to club.

He always underestimated how important the manager role was. I would rather we sold a player and paid for a quality manager than got some cheap nobody in (Wigley, Gray, the Dutch duo).

Of course, Schneiderlin has been a great signing for us in the very long run, but that was a lot of money to spend at a time when we apparently couldn't afford a decent manager. Then we cashed in on Gareth Bale's sell on clause the same year!

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

Think this has a slip up feel to it, good though that RK noted we didn't play that well at Hull so may get into the lads a bit because this one has complacency written all over it.

Could see them parking the bus then going 1-0 up from a corner in the 80th minute.

Think this has a slip up feel to it, good though that RK noted we didn't play that well at Hull so may get into the lads a bit because this one has complacency written all over it.

Could see them parking the bus then going 1-0 up from a corner in the 80th minute.

Yep, if we are complacent we could come unstuck. Never underestimate the opposition. We need to be ready for the Foxes, they have had some very good results. They are a proud club and know that they are fighting for their lives.

Did he **** your missus or something? He did a decent job for us with a sh*t squad, and always came across as a decent bloke despite getting treated so badly by Lowe. Deserves a decent reception.

He did ok. As I remember it we ended up in the same position or worse than the position when he joined. Yeah it was a crap team but then so were the other teams around us that he didn't outperform. Also he had the benefit of new manager bounce (TM! ) for a couple of matches.

We avoided relegation, bare minimum requirement achieved. As I understand it, we couldn't afford his demands so he moved on.

There always seems to be an overly positive spin attached to his tenure as manager and I don't get it. So as I said, I couldn't give a **** about him, I'll not be affected by him being Leicester manager, he's just another manager that's managing an ordinary team.

On the other hand, when we avoided relegation and there was a pitch invasion, all the stewards were so concerned about what was happening on the pitch we were able to walk into hospitality unchallenged and got some Tuna vol-o-vents. That day I beat the system. Maybe I Should be more grateful to him?

This one's a potential Banana skin. Our run has to come to an end sometime and I've got a horrible feeling we're gonna **** up this weekend. :-/

Is this going to happen every week? My how everyone was saying they'd be grateful if we could sneak a point against Hull. Are people superstitious or just scared to make confident predictions? We are playing well, they are not. We will win.

This one's a potential Banana skin. Our run has to come to an end sometime and I've got a horrible feeling we're gonna **** up this weekend. :-/

Don't understand "this run has to end soon" theory. Even our friend Lawro also used it in his prediction that we'd lose against Hull. It's not like we've won 10 or 15 on the trot: we lost to Spurs fairly recently.

Don't understand "this run has to end soon" theory. Even our friend Lawro also used it in his prediction that we'd lose against Hull. It's not like we've won 10 or 15 on the trot: we lost to Spurs fairly recently.

It's similar to 'the gambler's fallacy', if a roulette wheel comes up red 32 times in a row then the next must be black. In our case the outcomes are not random. Logic would indicate that if we've won 10 out of 11, or whatever, then we are much more likely to win the next game than lose it.

So that'll be a loss then ;)

I'm sure our good run will hit a bump sooner or later but it will be to someone like Chelsea or Citeh not Leicester or Villa me thinks

P 14 - W 3 - D 7 - L 4

4 Losses from 14, with one of those losses being 24 hours after his appointment.

Lowe getting rid of him was frankly ludicrous.

Don't think people realise just how bad our financial situation was at that time - we were bankrupt and the only reason RL got shot of Nigel was to save money - very simple. Not saying I agree, but going out of business (which we nearly did anyway) or getting rid of our Nig was not a difficult decision really.

How can you fail to be impressed and proud of your team when the captain talks like this? (from DE):

“We’re already focused and already talking in the dressing room that next week we need to be fresh, we need to recover well this week, so we can approach the next game the best way possible, so we can be 100 per cent on the energy levels. If we are, and if we are organised, we give ourselves a good chance. That’s the objective. Go into the international break on top of another victory. That’s where we focus. We know it will be a tough one. Leicester is a good team, organised, a good manager, and we need to prepare ourselves the best way possible, and that’s what we’re going to do. Honestly, we don’t really look too much to the table. We just take it game by game. That’s what we keep talking in the dressing room – we take it game by game, we try and win every game, and in the end we’ll do the maths. There’s no point starting talking about this and that. What it matters is we win the next game.”

I can't ever remember having a team so focussed on their performances and supporting one another. We've had good performances and good runs before but they seemed to fade away as soon as they'd started as players went out to celebrate this win or that win. These guys seem to be imbued with the spirit of winners. It's not enough for them to win an important game or achieve a club record. They want to keep achieving for the sake of winning as a team. I'd go as far as to say that this team deserves to win something this year - be it a cup or qualification for Europe. They have something which is pretty special.

Don't think people realise just how bad our financial situation was at that time - we were bankrupt and the only reason RL got shot of Nigel was to save money - very simple. Not saying I agree, but going out of business (which we nearly did anyway) or getting rid of our Nig was not a difficult decision really.

Actually that's not true. Even Lowe admitted it wasn't to do with money (NP wasn't on very much, and was happy to continue). As mentioned by someone earlier, NP was a Crouch appointment and Lowe's ego wouldn't allow his contract to be renewed.

Is this going to happen every week? My how everyone was saying they'd be grateful if we could sneak a point against Hull. Are people superstitious or just scared to make confident predictions? We are playing well, they are not. We will win.

You need to post this kind of comment every week now. It really did the trick v Hull. Thanks for being a lucky charm.

It's similar to 'the gambler's fallacy', if a roulette wheel comes up red 32 times in a row then the next must be black. In our case the outcomes are not random. Logic would indicate that if we've won 10 out of 11, or whatever, then we are much more likely to win the next game than lose it.

So that'll be a loss then ;)

I'm just trying to stay grounded, getting a lot of comments about being negative. I think it will make it easier for me to accept a loss, too many people are getting ahead of ourselves thinking we are world beaters. Every team other than ourselves and Chelsea have had a few unexpected results, it's the nature of the game

Edited by Saint_Tony

How can you fail to be impressed and proud of your team when the captain talks like this? (from DE):

I can't ever remember having a team so focussed on their performances and supporting one another. We've had good performances and good runs before but they seemed to fade away as soon as they'd started as players went out to celebrate this win or that win. These guys seem to be imbued with the spirit of winners. It's not enough for them to win an important game or achieve a club record. They want to keep achieving for the sake of winning as a team. I'd go as far as to say that this team deserves to win something this year - be it a cup or qualification for Europe. They have something which is pretty special.

Koeman.

He has won everything bar the World Cup as a player. He's won things as a manager and got teams playing at their maximum potential (Feyenoord years).

Let's not forget he was once one of the best defenders in the world, even if his modesty says otherwise.

If you can't get motivated by this guy.. You never will.

Combine this with confidence (a massive factor in professional sport) and you have the recipe for a team that has the winning mentality.

I wonder if Ralph has had any input at all at any level in terms of motivating the players. That guy knows a thing or two about motivating teams and also has a proven track record at it.

I'm just trying to stay grounded, getting a lot of comments about being negative. I think it will make it easier for me to accept a loss, too many people are getting ahead of ourselves thinking we are world beaters. Every team other than ourselves and Chelsea have had a few unexpected results, it's the nature of the game

I hear you mate. I'm the most pessimistic person you'll ever meet. I've ruined away days by sulking after a defeat. I get warned by my mates now not to mope about if we lose.

But I tell you what. I'm loving this season and we've already proved everyone wrong.

For the first time in many a year I have the belief that the team has a mentality of winners. They truly believe they can give everyone a game. They are respectful of the oppo and prepare extremely well.

You need luck in any sport sometimes as well as talent. We've had our fair share of luck and the talent is there for all to see.

Should the luck evade us during a couple of upcoming games it doesn't mean our talent has diminished any. We just need to keep confidence high, even in defeat, and keep the momentum going.

It's a life skill i like to think I am slowly mastering... Being a pessimist really is shortening my life.. Time to change.

Ergo, I'm going to go for 3 nil home win against the foxes.

I hear you mate. I'm the most pessimistic person you'll ever meet. I've ruined away days by sulking after a defeat. I get warned by my mates now not to mope about if we lose.

But I tell you what. I'm loving this season and we've already proved everyone wrong.

For the first time in many a year I have the belief that the team has a mentality of winners. They truly believe they can give everyone a game. They are respectful of the oppo and prepare extremely well.

You need luck in any sport sometimes as well as talent. We've had our fair share of luck and the talent is there for all to see.

Should the luck evade us during a couple of upcoming games it doesn't mean our talent has diminished any. We just need to keep confidence high, even in defeat, and keep the momentum going.

It's a life skill i like to think I am slowly mastering... Being a pessimist really is shortening my life.. Time to change.

Ergo, I'm going to go for 3 nil home win against the foxes.

I also think 3-0 home win, but my cautious mindset will remain until 9.50pm on december 8th, that is when we will really know what this team is capable of

Pearson didn't go because of form, he went because he was on stupid money and wouldn't budge. We couldn't afford it - so he went. You could argue that he made the position untenable, not the other way round.

It wasn't anything to do with Pearson that we were subsequently relegated, went into administration and were docked 10 points for our first year in League 1 (without which Pardew would have got into the play-offs). So sacking him - a good manager (and a genius compared to his immediate predecessors and successors) - after he had saved us from relegation was bad business.

Edited by eelpie

IMO, we currently have an almost perfect mentality.

We have confidence in our ability, knowing that we have a good defence, a dynamic midfield and a creative and potent attack that is capable of beating most, if not all teams in the league. That brings some pressure and healthy expectation to beat the likes of Leicester, but because we are very grounded and respectful of our opponents, and the players are so focused only on the next game, we are less likely to be distracted or allow complacency to set in. The best thing about that, as evidenced by Fonte's quote above, is that it is not the manager or coaching staff who are having to keep the players grounded... it is ingrained in the players themselves.

If someone asked me what mentality and culture I would try to instil in my team if I could make it happen with a magic wand, that would be it. It's great.

So - we should beat Leicester. We should not take them for granted at all as they can hurt teams, but we are more than capable of doing so so we should be confident of getting the right result. We go out and earn it and then move on to the next.

To be fair Jason our team have had a winning mentality for the past 5 years as we won the JPT, stormed through League 1 and the Championship and on up the Premier League. Never looked back since Mr Liebherr bought the club.

If we're going to score it won't be from a corner

Gazzaniga

McCarthy

Yoshida

Gardos

Targett

Reed

Cork

Isgrove

Davis

Long

Mayuka

Thats the weakest team we can put out without taking the wee with youth IMO. Would it beat Leicester? Would certainly give them a chance. :-) (Only joking Leicester fans!)

Gazzaniga

McCarthy

Yoshida

Gardos

Targett

Reed

Cork

Isgrove

Davis

Long

Mayuka

Thats the weakest team we can put out without taking the wee with youth IMO. Would it beat Leicester? Would certainly give them a chance. :-) (Only joking Leicester fans!)

That's the team MoPo would field against Sheff. Utd.

Not that we'd get that far with him.