Fraser Forster

Saint Charlie

Very poor tonight, lapse of concentration for the goal and he never seemed to regain it. Must be hard though where he's been stood about scratching his arse for the last month.

If he's stayed on his line I think Toby would've got to the ball first, he only pulled wide when he saw Fraser had committed. Shame as it gave Villa something to try to defend, and we were never going to score many playing that poorly.

No doubt this thread will come back to haunt people years later, but right here and now he isn't impressing me. Even before tonight he has looked nervous and he flaps. All keepers have a mistake in them, so tonight's howler is not something to,judge him by, besides Boruc made a few of those himself. What I want to see is a world class save or two, which Boruc offered, otherwise we may as well have stuck with Boruc.

Very poor tonight, lapse of concentration for the goal and he never seemed to regain it. Must be hard though where he's been stood about scratching his arse for the last month.

If he's stayed on his line I think Toby would've got to the ball first, he only pulled wide when he saw Fraser had committed. Shame as it gave Villa something to try to defend, and we were never going to score many playing that poorly.

Toby wasn't blameless to be fair. Every GK will make mistakes, I'd still rather have FF in goal than Boruc.

Toby wasn't blameless to be fair. Every GK will make mistakes, I'd still rather have FF in goal than Boruc.

Think you're just being too nice here to avoid looking like you're scapegoating. As a CB you're obviously only looking one way and can't possibly see what's behind you, you need the shout/signal from the keeper to get rid if you're in the kind of danger TB was in with GA up his arse. He ended up getting absolutely neither.

And of course, this is before we even get to Forsters hesitation/general poor judgement in coming off his line.

Not to mention him, a 6'7'' keeper flapping a punch at a cross that dropped out of the sky with snow on it.

Worrying. Boruc had his eccentricity but that aside, was excellent on crosses and shotstopping (although he did admittedly have a slight dip in form towards the middle/end of last season).

Forster quite simply just doesn't look very good. He just simply doesn't look at all like he's a particularly talented goalkeeper.

Think you're just being too nice here to avoid looking like you're scapegoating. As a CB you're obviously only looking one way and can't possibly see what's behind you, you need the shout/signal from the keeper to get rid if you're in the kind of danger TB was in with GA up his arse. He ended up getting absolutely neither.

And of course, this is before we even get to Forsters hesitation/general poor judgement in coming off his line.

Not to mention him, a 6'7'' keeper flapping a punch at a cross that dropped out of the sky with snow on it.

Worrying. Boruc had his eccentricity but that aside, was excellent on crosses and shotstopping (although he did admittedly have a slight dip in form towards the middle/end of last season).

Forster quite simply just doesn't look very good. He just simply doesn't look at all like he's a particularly talented goalkeeper.

Not really, I thought Carragher had it spot on post match ref Toby. I'd be happy with either keeper in truth, I just don't think FF is as bad as is being portrayed.

He's a league one keeper, sadly ... Got great protection in front of him tho

Why do you want to make yourself look like a bit of an idiot? You were once an intelligent poster with respected views. You did a pretty good effort to ruin that perception during the summer, and now you're at it again.

It just seems as if you, and a few others, are in the background just poised to shout...''I told you so''.

Woo hoo ..... The bedwetters have themselves a target:mcinnes:

A target that has let in the fewest goals in Europe!! Only on saintsweb.

Think he can thank the back four for that one. He's barely had any saves to make.

I'm just not convinced by him yet. Hope he wins me round but he's in a comfortable position because our backups are League Two standard.

It should also be remembered that Forster is still inexperienced at top flight, he's played about 200 games but aside from a few games in the champions league all of them in lower league or Scotland. He's played 12 times now in the premier league and we haven't signed the finished article, but a player with potential who we can develop who at 26 is still young for a keeper. Still let's write him off as a league one player :lol:

Woo hoo ..... The bedwetters have themselves a target:mcinnes:

A target that has let in the fewest goals in Europe!! Only on saintsweb.

So Forster screwed up, well he certainly isn't the first to do so. His mistake was that he hesitated. That doesn't make him carp or a "league one keeper"

No blame on the centre-backs, goalkeeper has to claim the authority to give them the shout when they're both facing their own goal.

If you've been to most of the matches this season, you'll know that this has been threatening to happen for a while; he gets nowhere near crosses or corners (I again bring up the flap in the second half which has happened before this season but naturally hasn't got onto MOTD highlights) and has faced an incredibly low number of shots so far this season.

Even the goal at West Ham (we were right behind the goal) was perfectly saveable. None of us thought it was even in until it went under him, there wasn't a collective groan until it went past him (it was clear that no-one was too worried by the deflection).

He's neither crap nor a League 1 keeper, but he's certainly been a disappointment and does look very, very average.

No doubt this thread will come back to haunt people years later, but right here and now he isn't impressing me. Even before tonight he has looked nervous and he flaps. All keepers have a mistake in them, so tonight's howler is not something to,judge him by, besides Boruc made a few of those himself. What I want to see is a world class save or two, which Boruc offered, otherwise we may as well have stuck with Boruc.

It wasn't just his howler tonight, he looked nervous and indecisive on more than one other occasion, and not for the first time this season. He has hardly been troubled by shots on target so far this season because our MF/defence has stopped any shots coming in. He is great with crosses most of the time, his distribution is far better than Boruc, but sometimes he reminds me of Gazza, and tonight was one of those times. I still like and rate him, but he is not the greatest keeper in the world at the moment and there is no evidence yet that he is an upgrade on Boruc. I hope Desparate Dan proves me wrong.

Think he can thank the back four for that one. He's barely had any saves to make.

I'm just not convinced by him yet. Hope he wins me round but he's in a comfortable position because our backups are League Two standard.

That's just daft, its the back 6 that have prevented the shots getting in, not the back 4. By the way the comment about least goals in Europe is wrong as well, we were 3rd least before tonight. Still only the rose-tinted specs brigade will continue to think that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread while shouting bed wetting at anyone who has a view that is based on reality.

He's yet to do anything to prove he's better than Boruc, but I still give him the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't had a chance. Before tonight we'd faced 24 shots on goal in 11 games.

At this stage it's $10m unnecessarily spent but the next 5 weeks will be the real test. We'll all have a better idea then.

If a goalkeeper faces 20+ shots a game, at this level he is bound to pull off a few good saves and look like a word beater like David Marshall last season and currently Tom Heaton. Fraser isn't getting that chance to make himself look good, so at the moment he's only being judged on the basis of quiet performances and errors like tonight. It's easy to make errors of judgement when you're stood around all game not doing a lot, and then suddenly you are called into action. Let's be honest, obviously they all end up in the same result (a goal) but it wasn't the worst goalkeeper error we've ever seen, and it certainly wasn't comparable to either of Boruc's last season in my opinion. If it wasn't for that half a second of hesitation Fraser would've cleaned that up, he looks nervous, and not surprisingly, he's still yet to be tested at this level whatsoever! Give the guy I chance, I loved Boruc but I feel a million times happier with FF in between the sticks, just his presence alone seems more reassuring.

Quite amazing really how quickly the calendar turns to December in the Turkey Shed in here.

It was just one of those things even Koemsn said "we are Human people, we make mistakes", but Gabby Agbonlahor despite getting on in years is still one of he fastest players in a straight line in the league and running straight at you speed perception goes right out of the window Frasers stutter in the decision process emphasised that. Just like Nats goal, Guzan was all over that, what thwarted him was the pace of the strike he had no distance perception until it was too late.

As for the flap folks are getting upset about, if Fraser was 5" shorter the ref would have blown for the foul that was made on him to cause the flap.

Like has been said above he has spent a lot of time this season twiddling his thumbs between the sticks, and as the old adage goes "practise makes perfect" well he ain't been getting much practise for 90minutes on a Saturday afternoon: which is my only concern when he is suddenly called into action from a cold start.

Having watched Boruc at the weekend (I was at Bournemouth vs. Ipswich), I don't think Boruc is at the 'Boruc' sort of level we'd expect from him anyway. One good low save aside, he looked to me like he's winding down.

5 goals conceded from 11 matches before tonight and still new to the team, but hey - why not string Forster up at the first opportunity, eh?

Having watched Boruc at the weekend (I was at Bournemouth vs. Ipswich), I don't think Boruc is at the 'Boruc' sort of level we'd expect from him anyway. One good low save aside, he looked to me like he's winding down.

5 goals conceded from 11 matches before tonight and still new to the team, but hey - why not string Forster up at the first opportunity, eh?

Clearly you haven't seen many bournemouth games since he joined them or his half against Switzerland for

Poland. All show no signs of "winding" down.

Forster can not be scapegoat for one goal last night. Time will tell if he lets in more if defence play again like they did last night

Clearly you haven't seen many bournemouth games since he joined them or his half against Switzerland for

Poland. All show no signs of "winding" down.

Forster can not be scapegoat for one goal last night. Time will tell if he lets in more if defence play again like they did last night

I've not actually been that impressed with him. He is young and has a lot of learning to do though.

He was poor at Spurs, not great in that Newcastle home game, poor last night.

He seems to flap a lot for a keeper of his size.

Saying that - i'm sure (and i hope) he comes good - he has the attributes to be a really good keeper, but needs to make sure he doesn't have concentration lapses.

Ironically I was only saying before the match that I thought FF did not attempt to play the 'sweeper' role that some keepers, particularly Lloris at Spurs, does so well.

Shame that when he decides to come out of the penalty area he messes up big style.

Still as mentioned on the Sky commentary he would have been sent off if the challenge had made contact with the player not the ball

My goodness some people need to take a deep breath & look at themselves in the mirror and ask there reflection if they've ever made a mistake.

I know I have in my time. Fraser dropped a bol-lock, big deal! he will get over it, as will we. Every goal keeper will make mistakes, and guess what folks it usually results in a goal.

Plenty of other players were off form, just slightly out of sorts call it what you will. They all made mistakes, Big Vics passing was atrocious at times as were others.

Still not entirely convinced. I was over the moon when we signed him, but he's definitely prone to losing concentration.

...with a strong defence in front of him, that's quite likely to happen. Longer periods without even a touch of the ball, can tax your concentration.

As for last night....he decided to go for an interception, perhaps a bad call. Forster is a big (and heavy man)......and Gabby A's is smaller and faster, so it was less than a 50/50 ball.

....with our total dominance, Villa were only going to score from a breakaway. We certainly didn't deserve to lose, but should have won it by HT with the chances and possession we had first half.

Not convinced yet that it was right to sign Forster at the expense of Boruc - just because he is younger doesn't make it the right decision in my opinion. He needs to be better, not just younger. Boruc still has quite a few good years in him yet, he's no that old for a keeper.

That said, calling him a league one or championship standard keeper is utterly ridiculous!!