Fraser Forster

Saint Charlie

Not entirely convinced he is an upgrade on Boruc... yet.

It's difficult to make any kind of proper judgement when the defenders in front of him are doing such a good job that he hasn't really had a great deal to do for the last few games.

I was his biggest fan when he was in Scotland and even I'm a little worried. He doesn't look settled at all. Looks nervous all the time.

On the flip side, perhaps the lapses in concentration (dropping crosses etc) is BECAUSE the defence is doing such a good job and he has so little to do?

what an utter load of b*****s from Saint Clark....there again, should not be surprised after his melt down in the summer.

The guy looks completely assured - that's why we have only conceded 5 goals. Forster and the defence.

His kicking is massively better than Boruc's (and with both feet) and you never think he is one second away from having a brain f**t.

I don't get the questioning or criticism of Forster at all, In fact I find some of the posts quite frankly bizarre. For a start, he's not had enough 'action' to really be judged either way - but for me, and for probably most fans, I feel pretty safe with him in the area.

I don't get where people are seeing he's nervous. I'm not seeing that at all.

what an utter load of b*****s from Saint Clark....there again, should not be surprised after his melt down in the summer.

The guy looks completely assured - that's why we have only conceded 5 goals. Forster and the defence.

His kicking is massively better than Boruc's (and with both feet) and you never think he is one second away from having a brain f**t.

I'm not laying into the guy, but he HAS dropped a few easy crosses, at least one easy shot bounced away from him. You must have missed the part where I said I was his biggest fan?

As for my meltdown, all I said was if we sold one more player (after Chambers) I would be getting a refund on my season ticket. We didn't, I didn't, and everyone moved on.

I was his biggest fan when he was in Scotland and even I'm a little worried. He doesn't look settled at all. Looks nervous all the time.

On the flip side, perhaps the lapses in concentration (dropping crosses etc) is BECAUSE the defence is doing such a good job and he has so little to do?

Totally disagree. Seems to give confidence to the defence and has made some important saves in games. Granted he has made probably two or three dodgy punches/catches but every keeper will make some errors.

Totally disagree. Seems to give confidence to the defence and has made some important saves in games. Granted he has made probably two or three dodgy punches/catches but every keeper will make some errors.
Unlike Boruc, Forster doesn't mess around with the ball in the box.

Distributes it quickly and efficiently. Doesn't attempt to make the difficult pass when an easier pass is available. GKs need to get it to the players paid to play the game with their feet and get back in the damn 6 yard box.

He's a great keeper, but not the best at defending set pieces and corners, plus he's not the quickest at getting down and to his side to meet low shots.

As for people not getting the "criticism" or "questioning of his abilities"... Once you accept that he's not yet on the same level as the Neuers and Casillas of this world, then you also have to accept that there is room for him to improve certain aspects of his game. To not discuss or even acknowledge these areas of potential improvement is just burying your head in the sand.

...but yeah, like I say, he's a great keeper and I look forward to him getting even better.

Unlike Boruc, Forster doesn't mess around with the ball in the box.

Distributes it quickly and efficiently. Doesn't attempt to make the difficult pass when an easier pass is available. GKs need to get it to the players paid to play the game with their feet and get back in the damn 6 yard box.

You just admitted on another thread that you only get to watch Liverpool games where you are. Your statements confirm that you haven't seen any - or many- Saints games this season. If you had, you'd know that Forster's distribution is POOR. Just like it was at Celtic in fact. In a league with Kelv and Boruc I would say.

HAve you seen any of the games? His distribution is quite poor. I'd say no better than Boruc. I'm not convinced on Forster so far. I'd like to be proved wrong.

I don't claim to be an expert on goalkeeper distribution, but Forster appears to consistently kick the ball a greater distance than did Boruc and he is less likely to kick it directly out of bounds. But that is just my impression, I haven't watched game films and counted every kick.

I watched the Bournemouth v Brighton game last night. I watched Boruc throw it out directly to a Brighton player. You don't get away with things like that in the PL.

Apart from when Forster did exactly that in yesterday's game.

I think he's nervous, hasn't quite settled in. Doesn't command his area like a keeper of his height should, fumbled a few crosses and a shot in his games so far. BUT we've only conceded 5 goals so I guess you can't moan... however he is the one slight question mark for me so far.

HAve you seen any of the games? His distribution is quite poor. I'd say no better than Boruc. I'm not convinced on Forster so far. I'd like to be proved wrong.

You have been proved wrong sunshine just clearly haven't been paying attention.

Kicks it better and further than Boruc and doesn't fanny about with it. On the negative side he looks a little nervous and has flapped a little. The thing about Arthur was that he pulled off some absolute worldies. The flip side being some total **** ups. Not many mistakes mind, just a couple of high profile howlers. Yet to see Forster do that - draw dropping saves I mean. Age on his side and all that. Shame we don't have both...

I watched the Bournemouth v Brighton game last night. I watched Boruc throw it out directly to a Brighton player. You don't get away with things like that in the PL.

Forster did exactly the same thing in the first half. Attempted an overarm throw that went straight to a Hull player.

It's difficult to make any kind of proper judgement when the defenders in front of him are doing such a good job that he hasn't really had a great deal to do for the last few games.

His kicking Is tremendous. The stats don't lie

Dont understand those who saying his kicking is poor. Been to 8 games and he has been fine, dont remember any going wayward, unlike Boruc. Brilliant back 5 this season, highlighted by MOTD last night. Some on here seem to expect perfection

This..... with this many experts in one post code it makes you wonder why there is such a dearth of experienced English coaches?

No im with you in the way he seems a little nervous at times even though the defence is doing an extremely good job at doing their job defending.The spuds game highlighted his nerves and basic handling errors (i thought we have the england goalkeeping coach in our set up) and ive yet to see him actually make a decent match winning save or any calming influence amongst the defenders but maybe im just being harsh on the fella.Still long may it continue and we can maintain our composure in the coming month with so many big boys to play in a short space in time then maybe Fraser might show his worth.

No im with you in the way he seems a little nervous at times even though the defence is doing an extremely good job at doing their job defending.The spuds game highlighted his nerves and basic handling errors (i thought we have the england goalkeeping coach in our set up) and ive yet to see him actually make a decent match winning save or any calming influence amongst the defenders but maybe im just being harsh on the fella.Still long may it continue and we can maintain our composure in the coming month with so many big boys to play in a short space in time then maybe Fraser might show his worth.

Didn't he make a match saving save against WBA ?

Kicks it better and further than Boruc and doesn't fanny about with it. On the negative side he looks a little nervous and has flapped a little. The thing about Arthur was that he pulled off some absolute worldies. The flip side being some total **** ups. Not many mistakes mind, just a couple of high profile howlers. Yet to see Forster do that - draw dropping saves I mean. Age on his side and all that. Shame we don't have both...

He hasn't had many jaw-dropping saves to make! The only goal we've conceded where I think he had a chance but would have done very well to stop it is Eriksen's at White Hart Lane.

Made some big stops against West Brom and West Ham.

I don't care how assured he looks to the so called experts on here , only 5 goals conceded in 10 games does it for me. Carry on playing that badly Frazer and that will do it for me. Being a keeper at Saints is a poisoned chalice

Last season after 10 games we had conceded 4. So that makes Forster slightly worse than Boruc in that regard. His kicking and general distribution is a huge step up on Boruc. But I have no idea yet about his shot saving capabilities. He really hasn't made any top drawer saves because he hasn't needed to, our midfield and defence restrict our opponents to one or two shots on target per game. Yesterday I think Hull had one scuffed "shot" on target, how can you judge a keeper when he has so little to do in that department? We could have played Gazzanigga yesterday and the result would probably have been the same. I'm not going to knock Forster but there are some valid criticisms, he definitely does look a bit nervous at times, and is a little slow getting down to low shots occasionally, hardly surprising for such a big guy.

Last season after 10 games we had conceded 4. So that makes Forster slightly worse than Boruc in that regard. His kicking and general distribution is a huge step up on Boruc. But I have no idea yet about his shot saving capabilities. He really hasn't made any top drawer saves because he hasn't needed to, our midfield and defence restrict our opponents to one or two shots on target per game. Yesterday I think Hull had one scuffed "shot" on target, how can you judge a keeper when he has so little to do in that department? We could have played Gazzanigga yesterday and the result would probably have been the same. I'm not going to knock Forster but there are some valid criticisms, he definitely does look a bit nervous at times, and is a little slow getting down to low shots occasionally, hardly surprising for such a big guy.

it seems to me we have a few fans sitting in the background waiting to pounce and use him as a scapegoat. It was similar to when KD was first choice.Not that I'm pointing at you on that one Vectis

Totally agree

Obviously a quality keeper and its too early too say how good he is, but definitely at fault for one of the stoke goals in the cup, poor positioning and very slow to get down to a fairly tame shot, that said he is young and has huge potential!

I do think he could be more commanding on crosses, given his height but the stats don't lie 5 goals conceded in 10 league games. He has a great defence in fornt of him but they obviously have total confidence in him. At times yesterday he was playing as a third CH with Fonte, Toby and him interchanging passes.

• 4 weeks later...

Still not entirely convinced. I was over the moon when we signed him, but he's definitely prone to losing concentration.

In fairness he hasn't had many saves to make so hard to judge. His cock up this evening is not dissimilar to what AB would have done. On balance, I was more than happy with AB, but long term FF is a better choice, and let's not go through the AB not having a chance thing again. Couldn't face Irene trotting out all the same bollyhox again.