Where is Cortese now?

9-3

Thanks Nicola but I am happier now. Surprised you are not CEO of one of the big Italian clubs and expect you are too. ;)

Now that we know more about the set up he put in place here there should be no surprise that none of the big Italian clubs want him. They would have to agree to create a consistent long term plan and follow it for many years spending a significant amount of money on things that do not bring plainly visible immediate returns. The Southampton way may very well be something that can only be achieved by a smaller club newly bought by a rich guy willing to put money in probably without worrying about Financial Fair Play compliance. In England this might very well mean it could only happen with a League One team.

He was the man that foolishly told the players we could challenge for the top 4. Had saints fans seething about it

"Aim for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." Easy to look at all the negatives leading up to his departure but over the course of his tenure he did an amazing job.

"Aim for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." Easy to look at all the negatives leading up to his departure but over the course of his tenure he did an amazing job.

Err? Or maybe aim for the stars and you might end up on the moon.

Let's be clear. Cortese did some good things but he was also slowly snuffing out the history and spirit of the club we support. Thankfully that has been corrected in spades.

Cortese is happy, he has got his money and some one else will back him. ( but not in football) Am am just happy that he is as far away from us as possible.

That is good to hear. He did a good job for us in the main. We've moved on, glad he has as well.

Good overall analysis. HDAJFU when we were down on our heels and created a 21st century Premier League Club. Seems that KL has instilled a very good feeling around HER club.

..and now that Cortese has gone . Is it just me? ... or do I sense a huge sigh of relief still reverberating around SMS ?

It would interesting to listen to his first major I terrier on Solent when he first arrived. He was open how ML and himself we're going to change things so that we were not so dependant on a manager leaving and the club could go into transition smoothly.

Err? Or maybe aim for the stars and you might end up on the moon.

?? Different quote. Mines by W. Clement Stone. Point is, Cortese set big goals, even though he never achieved champions league in his time here he still left the club in a much stronger position than when he started.

Much has been made of all the clean sheets by the team this season, but surely that is really down to Cortese. Wasn't he the one who was responsible for that sort of thing .... ;)

AHA, you mean that now that we have (practically) a new team, and a more stable back line / goalie ....and a far superior manager ....Cortese deserves the credit :rolleyes:

Looking at the present set-up, the new players we've signed, and superior manager that we now have, I think Cortese deserves enormous credit for employing Les Reed, and not sacking him along the way.

Edited by david in sweden

I suppose he does deserve some credit. If he hadn't stormed off the manager might have stayed, the players might not have left...

..and the ultimate follow-up question to that is ....." do you think we'd have had such a successful start if we still had the " Feckless Five " on board - if Pochettino was still manager at SMS ?

..and we didn't have Pelle, Tadic and the rest of the new gang.

..and the ultimate follow-up question to that is ....." do you think we'd have had such a successful start if we still had the " Feckless Five " on board - if Pochettino was still manager at SMS ?

..and we didn't have Pelle, Tadic and the rest of the new gang.

To be fair, Cortese supposedly wanted to sack Poch

He did superbly for us but departed at just the right time (as we can now see though it did not seem like it at the time. Ah! Hindsight!)

Yes I know he did OK on the Pitch but SFC is a PL club which never had any financial clout but with Markhus and Administration we did so it was pretty easy to return to the PL and most CEOs would have got us there.

It was the way that he treated employees suppliers the media old players and fans in an arrogant way that really made him ultimately unsuccessful

Yes I know he did OK on the Pitch but SFC is a PL club which never had any financial clout but with Markhus and Administration we did so it was pretty easy to return to the PL and most CEOs would have got us there.

It was the way that he treated employees suppliers the media old players and fans in an arrogant way that really made him ultimately unsuccessful

That is a pretty blanket assertion and I am not convinced that I agree. Would "any CEO" have put in place a structure that would survive not only a manager's departure but even his own. The recruitment process for managers and players that has made this season such a surprise was not suddenly put in place by the current Board.

funny how things go in cycles in my time of support we have had various chairman

some who operated in the background with little conversationalist approach George Reader and Alan Woodford, then we had the limelight likers Askham, Lowe and Wilde, then we had NC who was prepared to back his judgement and basically did what was right for the Club at the time.

• 11 months later...

Yet to join AC Milan, which is surprising as they chased him for 3 years whilst he was working at Saints.

Although i hear he is enjoying spending time with his family. He bought his son a lego set, it should have cost £25 but Cortese paid £40 for it, now they spend their days building things and then knocking it down as daddy keeps on saying its not quite right, even when Cortese jnr built the lift which only one lego man was able to use.