Lambert on loan January?

Wiggles31

I would love this. That 'the next chapter' reminded me of what a legend he is. Please make it happen Ralph, Les and Katrina.

Perfect back up for Pelle and would be a huge lift for the club (not that we currently need one!).

Yeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, let's get player back who we let go because we'd already identified he wasn't up to it.

People speaking too much with their hearts on this (for one side or the other), they forget that the formation we play now would actually suit Rickie down to the ground... Central target man with fast players running off him, who is supposed to be in and around the box and scoring goals.... He hasn't had that since Adkins (when he was banging in goals for fun)...

On that basis, with tadic feeding him, and jayrod, mane, tadic, cork/davis running in behind and off him, i personally think he would thrive.

Sadly, I wonder if that Rickie still exists, being sat on a bench is not good for Rickie!

It will be a terrible crime if his story ends with him looking like a tall charlie adam, overweight and on loan and some bleak club like bolton :/

If he could be the old Rickie for us then I'd have him back - he would give us great rotation and cover for Pelle - none of our other strikers do this.

You missed the bit where our system needs a mobile target man who scores overhead kicks and beats people and stuff.

I wonder if the same people clamouring for Lambert to come back are the same ones who wrote Pelle off after 30 minutes of his first game?

Leaving rickie where he is, his a legend and will always be, I'd hate to see him come back as a bit part player and a shadow of the one we remember so fondly .

I wonder if the same people clamouring for Lambert to come back are the same ones who wrote Pelle off after 30 minutes of his first game?

Leaving rickie where he is, his a legend and will always be, I'd hate to see him come back as a bit part player and a shadow of the one we remember so fondly .

Bit like Drogba with Chelsea really.

I can think of a good reason for him to come back would send out a message to other players thinking of leaving us that the grass isn't always greener else were. Rickie in the changing rooms telling the others moving Liverpool was a massive mistake might help when next summer comes round.

We could sign Andy Carroll to do that, AND he's more mobile and better in the air. Or if he isn't already, he will be by the end of Lambert's contract.

*Sound of worm can opening*. :D

Just saying, there are plenty of other options for players who aren't currently playing and who probably want to be at Saints, which don't come with a rapid expiry date.

You missed the bit where our system needs a mobile target man who scores overhead kicks and beats people and stuff.

Disagree with that tbh, if you look at Lambert's heat map last year you'd see that he was playing in deep midfield positions and winger positions an awful lot (to the detriment of his overall performance)... you play him as the pivotal striker and he does a great job and would be a good solid back up for Pelle who gets on well with the players and knows the club.

Plus it sends out a great message to players who want to leave the club that Lambert wanted to come back.

Enough of this rubbish our fans have developed, where a player leaves us because they weren't good enough. These players were so bad that England called them up, and Arsenal, Liverpool and United all spend vast sums of money on them.

If we are developing into a top English club, then i really hope our fans can stay grounded and humble.

No thanks. His time with us has come and gone and he left us with great memories. I'd welcome him back in some capacity one day but not as a player, as I think we could sign better.
This. It would be best for both parties that he not play here again. This Southampton team is a new chapter, I really don't see him being a part of it as a player.

But like noted above.. in the future, one retired as a player.. I think he would/should be welcome with open arms in any capacity.

To be fair to Rickie, lifelong access to the ex-player's lounge on matchdays alone probably made the move worthwhile.

Ah, that'll be for the scintillating conversation of King Kenny, Michael "Drone" Owen, Robbie 'Charlie' Fowler, Carragher..to name but a few.

I do envy him.

Edited by adrian lord

Only reason I could see to bring him back would be because of his understanding with J-Rod if J-Rod somehow needs help re-integrating into the setup. Those two (and Lallana) somehow seemed telepathically linked last season. That would be only reason I can think of that we might realistically want to do this.

Sad to see him not being used. He's like a once-mighty battleship laid up at anchor, slowly rusting and waiting for a call to action that's never going to come. Soon all that will be left are memories of past glories.

Tow him out into the Atlantic, sink him as part of an artificial reef effort and allow him to become the new home of several hundred fishies. However, not before a J. M. W. Turner esque painting is done of his stripped hull and riggings being towed out of Liverpool.

If he wanted to come back and the club wanted him back, I'd be more than happy. Couldn't care less what his record has been at Liverpool, I have no doubt he'd help us out if he came back.

Can't really see it though, especially after his somewhat cryptic comments in his interview before the Liverpool v Saints game.

But you can never say never.

He would be, what, 4th choice if all strikers were fit amd would struggle to get a spot on the bench.

Would be behind

Pelle

Long

JRod

Mane

Not worth the loan fee unless we get hit with injuries. Even then, there would be better / other options who would fit the bill on a loan> perm option

Whether you think its right or wrong, we wouldnt get a better backup for pelle right now for under 10m, so if the choice is the return of SRL or likely no back up then I think Ill choose SRL

I haven't seen anything to suggest we only have £10m to spend. Pelle himself cost less than that, as did JRod.

I think you can find a much better player than Lambert for under £10m. He would turn 33 about a month after we would sign him in January and at that age players go down hill fairly steadily. It's all well and good saying his game isn't about pace but in for periods of last season he looked lethargic and lacked the energy to lead the line.

We've had by far the best years out of Lambert and quadrupled our money. That's a success on all fronts, it's time to let go. I'm sure our scouts have been looking at much better targets.

He would be, what, 4th choice if all strikers were fit amd would struggle to get a spot on the bench.

Would be behind

Pelle

Long

JRod

Mane

Not worth the loan fee unless we get hit with injuries. Even then, there would be better / other options who would fit the bill on a loan> perm option

Not really as none of J-rod, long or Mane are a replacement for Pelle . If we lose Pelle to injury you can't stick Long (or the others) up front and expect him to play the same way Lambert could play the roll Pelle players IMO. Honestly I don't think Lambert would come back but we do really need a proper centre forward as back up to Pelle.

no point having him back to be on the bench. he's a player that needs to be constantly playing in order to be match fit and effective, if we are going to use him like how Liverpool are using him as an impact sub or starting him once every 5 games or so, we won't get him playing at the level he used to for us

We all love Rickie and he will always be a symbol of our rise but bring him back? no thanks, that would ruin his reputation, he began the exodus, he made the choice, he has to face the consequences, we have moved on but I'm afraid he is stuck with his own decision.

I haven't seen anything to suggest we only have £10m to spend. Pelle himself cost less than that, as did JRod.

I think you can find a much better player than Lambert for under £10m. He would turn 33 about a month after we would sign him in January and at that age players go down hill fairly steadily. It's all well and good saying his game isn't about pace but in for periods of last season he looked lethargic and lacked the energy to lead the line.

We've had by far the best years out of Lambert and quadrupled our money. That's a success on all fronts, it's time to let go. I'm sure our scouts have been looking at much better targets.

I agree fwiw, just putting into context.

I think part of our issues last year was our lack of an incisive front man.

I agree we probably have more than 10m, but we dont know that, january is generally a very difficult time to get people through the door amd personally I wouldnt mind Rickie as backup

Not really as none of J-rod, long or Mane are a replacement for Pelle . If we lose Pelle to injury you can't stick Long (or the others) up front and expect him to play the same way Lambert could play the roll Pelle players IMO. Honestly I don't think Lambert would come back but we do really need a proper centre forward as back up to Pelle.

Nailed on a centre forward's head as a comment. But not in favour of an SRL return. It would be like trying to crank up an older quality car in quick time after it has been left alone a bit too long without loving attention.

Edited by TopGun

I can think of a good reason for him to come back would send out a message to other players thinking of leaving us that the grass isn't always greener else were. Rickie in the changing rooms telling the others moving Liverpool was a massive mistake might help when next summer comes round.

Best way to get that message across is to let him sit on Brenda's k...........bench :)

******** to it, I say bring the big man home on loan. He will dominate the Fa cup for us minimum and he rightfully deserves to be with us as we are on the cusp of achieving the impossible. He knows how to play with the majority of our boys and would be excellent squad depth and experience. Great option for resting pelle too. Anyone got the number for his people?

I am not sure I am in favour either, but this is spot on, plus he can take a direct free kick better than anyone we have seen so far

The only way I could see him coming back as a member of SFC would be in some kind of coaching role with a bit of playing, like KD.

As a player his time with us has finished.

Still a legend though and always welcome back by everyone.

I'm not sure about that, Rickie doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the box to me. He might be a good coach but I wouldn't hire him based on sentimentality. We are in a position to pick the best personnel from around Europe so Rickie would have to prove himself in that field before giving him a coaching job.

I'm not sure about that, Rickie doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the box to me. He might be a good coach but I wouldn't hire him based on sentimentality. We are in a position to pick the best personnel from around Europe so Rickie would have to prove himself in that field before giving him a coaching job.

I think that's a master of understatement!