Lambert on loan January?

Wiggles31

I agree that it would be great to see him back ....but I have no sympathy for him leaving in the first place. It may have been his boyhood club but Liverpool have no idea of how to get the best out of him under the tactical genius that is Brendan Rogers. The move to LIverpool may well cost him his England squad place.

Get him back and let him be a lesson to anyone else wo thinks the grass is greener away from SMS.

I think his family were glad to return to Liverpool, so for family reasons I have feeling he wouldn't want to move.. and like others have said it would be like admitting defeat to his dream move and I doubt he'lld want to move back here to be a 'back-up' sub.

Presumably he wanted to retire at Liverpool in 18 months time. Now looking like he might not get the chance.

I can see him on loan somewhere but not to us: he's gone home so would think he'd stay North-West so Wigan, Bolton or Blackburn, something like that. Or maybe Stoke, if the opportunity came up.

I think his family were glad to return to Liverpool, so for family reasons I have feeling he wouldn't want to move.. and like others have said it would be like admitting defeat to his dream move and I doubt he'lld want to move back here to be a 'back-up' sub.

That's the nub of it. I'm sure he didn't leave to get away from Saints, it was more a case of moving his family back to liverpool before he retires. He said as much in his farewell statement iirc. Would be a terrible mistake for him to return on loan imho, but I really cannot see that happening.

Let him help Bompey annoy the skates by getting promoted. We'll have JRod back for our push for the EPL title thanks.

Oh how that would annoy them. Bompey win the Championship & we pip Chelski. Think even Old Nick would have to concede they finally got their comeuppance.

This post was sponsored by RoKo each game at a time and Bacardi Superior & the fact that even I managed to finish 3rd in a Golf Competition today.

I would love this. That 'the next chapter' reminded me of what a legend he is. Please make it happen Ralph, Les and Katrina.

Perfect back up for Pelle and would be a huge lift for the club (not that we currently need one!).

No thanks. Love the bloke, and he still has Saints Legend status for us, but we've moved on. I just think it would feel a regressive step.

How about for footballing reasons? There's no like replacement for Pellé at the moment. Jay Rod will improve the starting XI, but he's not likely to play up top. With the FA Cup starting for us on the 3rd of January it could make sense. What are the alternatives? Pay overs for someone of similar talent or throw Gallagher in the deep end? It's likely that Graziano will have played every game by the time January 1 comes around..to me a 6-month loan would make sense. Rickie wasn't to know how the Liverpool time would play out, but one thing's for sure, if he turned down the opportunity he would've been asking himself "what if" for the rest of his life. It didn't work out for various reasons, but he didn't turn into a bad footballer overnight. Bring Rickie Back!

Doubt it would happen, but if the chance arose it would be stupid not to take him back as a back up for Pelle. This squad will be stretched, and whatever some think of him now, I have no doubt he would still score goals here. There are very few available proven premier league goalscorers, and whatever's going on with him at Liverpool, he hasn't turned 5hit overnight.Could be the difference between finishing in or outside the top 6

Not for me thanks.

Taking all sentimentality out of the equation, if someone asked which player I want to sign in January, a 32 year old who can't score or even get on the pitch at Liverpool wouldn't be my answer.

This. We March On, not Mark Time.

Sad to see him not being used. He's like a once-mighty battleship laid up at anchor, slowly rusting and waiting for a call to action that's never going to come. Soon all that will be left are memories of past glories.

That's poetic, WG. You're wasted on here.

Rodgers is so stubborn that he'll never admit he's made a mistake in signing Rickie. So, as long as Rodgers rules the roost at Anfield, Rickie will be warming the bench. Rickie deserves more but should have calculated his move bettter.

Rodgers is so stubborn that he'll never admit he's made a mistake in signing Rickie. So, as long as Rodgers rules the roost at Anfield, Rickie will be warming the bench. Rickie deserves more but should have calculated his move bettter.

You mean as long as Gerrard rules the roost and Liverpool can't appoint a manager to rule the roost.

No, but he may have done so with six months of insufficient game time.

He's one of those players that must play his way to match fitness so if Rodgers bought him as back up its a questionable signing. No reflection on Lambert whatsoever. Would love him back but only if he were to get sufficient game time.

I would love to have seen him get a goal that keeps us on track for a remarkable season (maybe qualify for Europe or win a cup or both) but I'm not sure he'd want to come here to be back-up or that Liverpool would release him to be back-up or that things would be the same coming back to the club he left.

Someone else made the best call in that he'd stay up north and just get game-time. Alas I think his best years and best opportunities ended when he left St. Mary's. Just hope he doesn't get a decisive goal against us.

Think we may get a loan right-back and short-term cover for Pelle and Tadic/Mane though. Just not SRL.

How do we know his legs haven't gone and we've managed to offload him just in time . It does seem strange that Brenda won't play him in his struggling side and he plays second fiddle to that fairy Borini . Brenda sees him every day in training and still doesn't play him , perhaps he moved on just in time.

As much as I love the guy , and he's in the top 10 of my all time favs, he made his bed and all that. I can't see any benefit in bringing him back and if we want to progress we don't want to be getting Liverpool reserves who are over the hill.

Also, what was his role in the Adam and lovren moves ?

How do we know his legs haven't gone and we've managed to offload him just in time . It does seem strange that Brenda won't play him in his struggling side and he plays second fiddle to that fairy Borini . Brenda sees him every day in training and still doesn't play him , perhaps he moved on just in time.

As much as I love the guy , and he's in the top 10 of my all time favs, he made his bed and all that. I can't see any benefit in bringing him back and if we want to progress we don't want to be getting Liverpool reserves who are over the hill.

Also, what was his role in the Adam and lovren moves ?

Running was never a big part of his game. Rodgers tries to use him as the spearhead of an attack, that's why he doesn't look good for them in matches or training. He looked best for us dropping deep and going wide to play others in.

If I was him I don't think my pride would let me return so soon, it'd be admitting his dream was a failure.

although I don't really think it's his fault. Rodgers has systematically avoided RL selection and generally gives him the last 10 minutes of a game, as some sort of desperate move.

When he doesn't score, he gets labelled poor, but what about the other deadbeats that are continually picked every week. Ballotelli's goal tally doesn't look much better.

Lallana situation isn't much better, although he does get selected more often.

Brendan Rodgers hasn't yet realised that L&L were a partnership at SFC but now plays them apart from each other - as if they've never been introduced.

Rodgers is so stubborn that he'll never admit he's made a mistake in signing Rickie.

So, as long as Rodgers rules the roost at Anfield, Rickie will be warming the bench. Rickie deserves more but should have calculated his move bettter.

I don't think the mistake was in signing him ART, but having done so in NOT playing him - together with Lallana. He's not been given a chance or a run of games. Balotelli is surely little better, but he just cost more :rolleyes:

Lambert and Lallana made the Saints' team tick under our previous regime, now at Liverpool the only contact they have is sitting next to each other on the bench.

Edited by david in sweden

One big danger of him coming back is it could upset the current balance that the team seems to currently have, the last thing we want right now is a crack in the dressing room.

When you look at the amount of finite detail the club goes into beyond just sticking 11 players and 7 spares on the pitch on a Saturday afternoon, maybe in all the analysis they knew that Rickies abilities were on an accelerating slide hence the chat of him being halfway out the door in January to West Ham, selling him to Liverpool his boyhood club provided the perfect sugar coating to the departure of Saints most popular player since Matty.

And to Saints fans he retains his legendary status as he hasn't fizzled out into retirement before our eyes in a Saints shirt.

People speaking too much with their hearts on this (for one side or the other), they forget that the formation we play now would actually suit Rickie down to the ground... Central target man with fast players running off him, who is supposed to be in and around the box and scoring goals.... He hasn't had that since Adkins (when he was banging in goals for fun)...

On that basis, with tadic feeding him, and jayrod, mane, tadic, cork/davis running in behind and off him, i personally think he would thrive.

Sadly, I wonder if that Rickie still exists, being sat on a bench is not good for Rickie!

It will be a terrible crime if his story ends with him looking like a tall charlie adam, overweight and on loan and some bleak club like bolton :/

If he could be the old Rickie for us then I'd have him back - he would give us great rotation and cover for Pelle - none of our other strikers do this.