Media Coverage

Redslo

Just seen this on paddy power hahaha

Southampton fans, we are sorry: How the Saints have gone from being tipped for relegation to top four contenders:

http://blog.paddypower.com/2014/11/04/southampton-fans-we-are-sorry-how-the-saints-have-gone-from-being-tipped-for-relegation-to-top-four-contenders/#ROfsrSIYB4pjGdHj.99

Could we now have an apology for putting Southampton in the South-East? Last time I checked, the City was still pretty-well smack bang in the centre of the south coast, or Southern England as many would call it.

Could we now have an apology for putting Southampton in the South-East? Last time I checked, the City was still pretty-well smack bang in the centre of the south coast, or Southern England as many would call it.

We is South Central, innit?

In his speech recently Les Reed talked out Southampton's area being the south east:

"We cover the whole of the south east. It is very rare that we will go to the midlands or the north to scout and the reason for that is that we believe that our success is based on actually being the best in our own environment. So south of London right the way down to Cornwall and across to the Kent coast is where we feel we specialize. We dominate that area and we get the best players very young in that neck of the woods. We feel that if we concentrate and focus on that rather than the method employed by some other clubs which is to spread their wings further and their tentacles further also to recruit players who are already in the system by paying compensation . We do that very rarely. What we try to do is make sure that there is no kid in our region that we haven’t seen."

On the other hand, as an American, I never thought of Cornwall being in Southeast England.

In his speech recently Les Reed talked out Southampton's area being the south east:

"We cover the whole of the south east. It is very rare that we will go to the midlands or the north to scout and the reason for that is that we believe that our success is based on actually being the best in our own environment. So south of London right the way down to Cornwall and across to the Kent coast is where we feel we specialize. We dominate that area and we get the best players very young in that neck of the woods. We feel that if we concentrate and focus on that rather than the method employed by some other clubs which is to spread their wings further and their tentacles further also to recruit players who are already in the system by paying compensation . We do that very rarely. What we try to do is make sure that there is no kid in our region that we haven’t seen."

On the other hand, as an American, I never thought of Cornwall being in Southeast England.

Not quite what he said though: we cover the whole of the south-east and south of london and down to cornwall and across to kent coast. Basivally draw a line throgh London and soouth of that is OURS

Not sure why we don't go into London. Densely populated and easy travel links. Certainly a lot easier to get/move from London than it is Cornwall.

Yes they'll be more competition there but we have a very good reputation now.

I am sure they are not intensively scouring Cornwall, but they can cover it through the Bath centre (we still have this I think).

We'll cover plenty of the country and it seems to be working well. We can leave most of London to the London clubs.

Not sure why we don't go into London. Densely populated and easy travel links. Certainly a lot easier to get/move from London than it is Cornwall.

Yes they'll be more competition there but we have a very good reputation now.

My bad for providing a less than complete quote, but to be fair the speech was 38 minutes long and the transcript of it is on my blog. (Here is the link: http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/2014/10/i-have-transcribed-les-reeds-38-minute.html ) Just before the part I quoted before he said:

"We have two academies. We have one in Bath University which is part of the Bath University schools complex where we produce all our Commonwealth gold medalists and Olympic gold medalists and so on over the last few years in different sports. So that cross fertilization of high level elite environment with everything it brings with it and the elite development of young players is a terrific tool for us to use. All the resources that are at Bath are replicated at our main academy at Southampton and that enables us to get really into the bits and pieces of talent identification. So when they’ve been spotted in their own environment, we’ve done the due diligence, we feel that they have got the potential to be a player, we bring them into our talent development centers and around Bath University we have 8 talent development centers and we have the same around the Southampton one. We are just about to open a new one on the fringes of London. "

Talk sport still don't get it though. George (Georgie according to Alan Brazil) Graham spent five minutes this morning talking about Arsenal's woes and Chelsea's magic before concluding with a comment about Man City being second in the league. Brazil didn't correct him. ******s the pair of them.

5live just spent 10 minutes discussing whether we'd finish top 4. The general consensus from Claridge and co was we would. I'm not sure they were meant to spend quite so long talking about us but Merrington came on the phone and wouldn't stop talking.

Saints get mentioned on both ends of the Football Weekly podcast. At first, it's revealed that Southampton have the third best back five in the world. They shut all Southampton chat down there and then, but it's only because they have a glowing tribute to the management and current success of the team. They especially spoke about Ralph Krueger's much-mocked speech about judging the board at the end of the window. They also gave a lot of credit to Les Reed.

Still not really mentioned in the serious contenders chat as serious contenders, but that's alright. That's what we want them to think :)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/audio/2014/nov/10/football-weekly-podcast-can-anyone-stop-chelsea

5live just spent 10 minutes discussing whether we'd finish top 4. The general consensus from Claridge and co was we would. I'm not sure they were meant to spend quite so long talking about us but Merrington came on the phone and wouldn't stop talking.

Enjoyed listening to that especially as Merrington didn't quite answer any of their questions :)

Get ready to yawn. I was working with the Media at the Ryder Cup and spoke at length to the Sky 5Live Sun & Telegraph Journos.

Basically they love what we are doing. The Telegraph guy - Oliver Brown basically said that we now have a story. He said (and I remarked in a post at the time) that our coverage would change. They had noticed something really was happening. The Sky Tater crew actually questioned whether WE as fans understood what we could achieve this year.

Football has evolved, Jose has understood that with his team building but the likes of us and Swansea were now playing football as units. While some Galacticos could make the difference the team and organisation ethic had evolved and the spunking of huge sums on one or two players was a dinosaur approach.

The Telegraph guy actually said to prepare ourselves for a lot more "sensible" coverage (think he was knocking the Mail type reports) Certainly since late September the Telegraph have been much more in depth.

As fans we expect to blow up. SOME of the press are expecting us to keep rolling.

The Sky guys actually believe we CAN go all the way and providing we get to January in contention are the most likely club to give Chelsea a real run for their money.

I will bore TMS with updates in 10 days time when all the guys are back down here for the season ending Tournament, but Telegraph guys actually have a sneaking suspisciion we will keep it going They realise it ould be the biggest PL story in years.

I've already started to see articles about the premiership being a "low standard" this year. Expect to hear more of this if we stay where we are. Of course there cannot be any other explanation for teams like Saints being in the top 4.

Some great reviews and I feel very proud to be a Saints fan.

How long can we remain under the radar though? Well the pundits still say we won't make top four at the end of the season. That is good. We can prove them wrong. We have nothing to lose.

I've already started to see articles about the premiership being a "low standard" this year. Expect to hear more of this if we stay where we are. Of course there cannot be any other explanation for teams like Saints being in the top 4.

Carpe Diem .......... Should we have a Purple season, when folks look back through history to this season there will not be a footnote asterisked to say *by the way this season wasn't the best.

Sunday Times headline in the sport section yesterday

"Liverpool fans boo struggling Rodgers"

FFS they even want our old 'Struggling Southampton' tag now :rolleyes:

I like it. But it's still 'Struggling Southampton, the Premiership's Autumn runners up mind 2nd place for Man City, Arsenal, ManU etc.'

"Southampton's fairytale voyage under new manager Ronald Koeman shows no signs of sinking like the famous RMS Titanic that left the city's port in 1912 after a fourth successive league win at home to Leicester City on Saturday (Sunday NZ time). "

I never knew the Titanic was on a good winning streak just before it sank.

A few negative stories coming out today though...Paul Mitchell to Spurs. Toby buyout cancelled by Atletico and Koeman to walk out for Holland job.

Conspiracy theorists, you're on!

Certainly appears that way doesn't it. For an insignificant Tuesday in November (no disrespect to Armistice day) we've had a fair few stories come out.

What annoys me is that other fans are getting fed up already with this so-called Saints love-fest and we're bound to start getting annoyed soon too if things start to derail things.

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

I would love to go under the radar so-to-speak but it's just impossible.

A few negative stories coming out today though...Paul Mitchell to Spurs. Toby buyout cancelled by Atletico and Koeman to walk out for Holland job.

Conspiracy theorists, you're on!

Obviously the glorious bonfire the media hoped would start on the South coast for them to dance around didn't catch alight, so whilst everyones off for a couple of days they think they had better check to see if there are any embers to fan.

We are an enigma for the lazy hacks who have had the easiest of lives since the top 4/6 has been establish...... They ain't liking change.

Obviously the glorious bonfire the media hoped would start on the South coast for them to dance around didn't catch alight, so whilst everyones off for a couple of days they think they had better check to see if there are any embers to fan.

We are an enigma for the lazy hacks who have had the easiest of lives since the top 4/6 has been establish...... They ain't liking change.

The media have no interest in "dancing around" a Southampton related bonfire. Well, no more than they'd dance around a West Brom or Villa bonfire. They go where the story is.

Given a choice they'd much rather see a crisis at Liverpool, Spurs or Arsenal.

Seriously, they couldn't give less of a sh it about us beyond being story fuel.

That said, "the media"(if we pretend it is one homogeneous thing) would love it if we finished in the CL places, they'd absolutely love it. What a story.