Saints 2 Leicester 0 - Post Match Reactions

Whitey Grandad

Guilty of ****ing around far too much in the first 60min... Long comes on, we stop fannying around and instantly look much much sharper... I'm sure koeman will have taken notice of that.

All said and done, great result from the lads, incredible defensive performances, and just how good are clyne and bertrand! Toby was solid, Wanyama the tank!

Though that Pelle and Tadic were a bit off today. And worrying news about Davis, hope he has a quick recovery! We've got a league title to win!

Halfway through the second half, I had accepted that we would lose points here. Massively pleased with the way things turned out! Respect to Leicester and a bit sad for Pearson, he is a gent.

You don't recall seeing him elbow a saints player on the half way line when he played for Sheff Wed then?

Two composed finishes from Long, but VW probably deserves the MOTM plaudits. At times it looked like he could have played their midfield single-handedly and still come out on top. Can't think of a more physically dominant player for us in my lifetime, and nothing wrong with his passing.

Great win. Just slightly disappointed that with Chelsea's result the best we can hope for is another runner-up place in the league at the end of the season :tonguefirmlyincheek:

Oh come on, stop being so coy. Our dreams are starting to become our ambitions based on real evidence. The impossible is starting to look a tiny bit less than impossible.

Bravo to all the fans that went today, you've done us proud despite the atrocious weather.

Posted from my lovely comfy sofa, in the warmth of my own house, while under a duvet and with the missus bringing me food and drink as and when needed. >>

Two composed finishes from Long, but VW probably deserves the MOTM plaudits. At times it looked like he could have played their midfield single-handedly and still come out on top. Can't think of a more physically dominant player for us in my lifetime, and nothing wrong with his passing.

Poor old Vic. He keeps just getting nudged off my MOTM award by strikers, but I've got to go Long.

Poor old Vic. He keeps just getting nudged off my MOTM award by strikers, but I've got to go Long.[/Q

Thought Vic was immense. Toby also very good and running him close for MOTM. All until Shane came on and started looking like a 12M striker. He should really of had a hattrick but that's just being picky. COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't quite believe this season tbh.

I've been very critical of Long this season, I've often said he's been our weak link but he really made a difference today. Even for that 2nd goal I was screaming at him to square it to Pelle who was onside but he took it on and scored, fair play to him.

Wanyama and Bertrand were outstanding too. Always been a fan of Wanyama, glad his class is becoming more apparent. I still maintain that whoever we're playing, Wanyama, Cork, Schiederlin should be our midfield 3. People have said Wanyama should only start if we're facing a team that could cause us problems but look at him today. Amazing performance for the last 3 games

tbh disappointed about the fact that there will be no Schneiderlin for Aston Villa game :/ yellow card. least it means he'll be back for the three tough fixtures afterwards!

That was only his fourth yellow today wasn't it?

I've been very critical of Long this season, I've often said he's been our weak link but he really made a difference today. Even for that 2nd goal I was screaming at him to square it to Pelle who was onside but he took it on and scored, fair play to him.

Koeman gives an interesting insight on Long:

@alex_crook: Koeman: 'Shane is doing very well. In the beginning he had some adaption problems with the way we play and the way we train.' #saintsfc

@alex_crook: Koeman 'It is fantastic for me if you change a player and he scores twice.' #saintsfc

Well we made hard work of it for a while but got there in the end. Wanyama was immense. They just couldn't get the ball off him. And his passing has moved up more than a few notches. Who was that Scottish manager who said when they were playing against Wanyama they hoped he'd get the ball because he always gave it back?

I quite enjoyed the opinion of the man sitting behind me, just before the first goal, that "Shane Long couldn't score in a brothel". But he redeemed himself seconds before the second goal by screaming at Long to pass it to Pelle.

Only saw the second half after struggling to get any sort of a decent feed in the first (given up on SportsNation after 2 crap weeks); but from what I did see, I'd agree with the above posts that VW was head and shoulders above everyone. Literally nothing got past him,and he was (almost) flawless with his passing for once.

We're now dominating and winning games - sometimes without playing well, in a way we never did under MoPo.

Today is a great example........last season we would have been camped in their half, with 75% possession and likely got stung by a counter attack.

Seem far more balanced now...happy to concede space/possession, and knock it long if needed. That said...65% is pretty damn good!

He was only on 3 yellows at the start of the day according to the OS. A ban is 5.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/stats/player-stats/

Shame really, as I would of rather him miss the villa game rather than one of the tricky ones coming up, maybe rest him in the villa game, and then play him in the next. ??? I trust RK to make a better decision than me though!

Just got back. Cracking day in the end. We dominated as per usual but tried too much showboating at times when the simpler approach would have probably reaped more rewards earlier in the game. Mane was flying in the first half. Tadic had an off day (by his standards). MotM a toss up between Bertrand, Fonte and Big Vic. My son reckons Fonte so he gets the casting vote. A rock in defence.

Credit to Leicester in that they defended well and gave us very little space. I can actually see us playing with more freedom against the so called bigger sides that are looming on the horizon.

Superb start to the season

Altogether now: "And now you're gonna believe us, we're gonna win the league" :)

Edited by trousers

So, I'm stuck late working at the upcoming Golf Tourney thingy down here, make it to Barasti 10 mins into the second half.

Oh the relief in the Mancs pathetic cheer when Mata scored vs the Resounding, Confident ROAR when we scored.

Then, in the car start the engine up and Lionel Ritchie is singing

Everybody sing, everybody dance, lose yourself in wild Romance.

We're gonna party Karamu, fiesta, across Europe, come on and sing along.

Goal Shane Long, Shane Long, Shane Long,

Goal Shane Long, Shane Long, Shane Long.

Get in, 'Av it. Live for THESE moments and leave tomorrow's worries for?

Well, tomorrow.