Saints 2 Leicester 0 - Post Match Reactions

Whitey Grandad

I thought both full backs and Wanyama were excellent today. Leicester did their best to spoil in midfield and defended excellently at times with some great blocks and tackles.

Unlike games of a similar pattern last season I always thought a goal was coming and it did from Long after a great build up. They didn't troubl us at all apart from that weird miss at the end.

The "Saints are staying up" chant morphing into "we're going to win the league" made me chuckle.

Plenty of day trippers about today. From people incomprehensibly queuing for 10 minutes at the wrong turnstile and holding everyone up (just look at your ticket FFS it isn't hard) to the loud Arsenal style groaning at every slightly misplaced pass, and a chap a few rows down from us who had his nipper sat on his lap playing on a tablet throughout the whole game.

That half time football zorb game didn't work out too well either.

Great win. Just slightly disappointed that with Chelsea's result the best we can hope for is another runner-up place in the league at the end of the season :tonguefirmlyincheek:

Don't worry, we've still to play them twice so will make up 6 points in those games easily enough :)

It's funny seeing all the posts lately mentioning us going for the title without the usual winky faces and disclaimers.

Delusional? Maybe.....All I know is that this season just keeps on giving so far.

I'm really looking forward to the tougher fixtures now. I have no expectations about them, but I have no fear about them either. This is the best time of my life as a Saints supporter!!!

Defensively (apart from the slip up towards the end) we were outstanding. The back five plus Big Vic gave us the platform to push on from. But going forward we weren't at our best (although Leicester did make it hard of us).

Morgan had a real off day IMHO and Tadic struggled. Pelle was decent and Mane looked lively, but we didn't create much. Davis & Cork also struggled to make an impact, so fair play to Koeman and Long for changing the game.

A decent gritty win.

Good win when not playing at your best. Pleased for Shane to get off the mark. Dominated game and eventually managed to break down a side

that parked the bus.

Mods......can we have a seperate Reaction thread like we use to instead of having to sift through the Match thread until you get to the reactions.

Toby MOM for me.

Just reminds me of Bobby Moore , calm does his job with no fuss and goes unnoticed

Imdeed, absolutely outstanding, cool, calm, controlled. Real pillar at the back. Signing him up would be a fantastic coup (who are Atletico Madrid's centre backs?? As they must be mustard).

tbh disappointed about the fact that there will be no Schneiderlin for Aston Villa game :/ yellow card. least it means he'll be back for the three tough fixtures afterwards!

I didn't see the game, but didn't he only have 3 yellows so far?

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/suspensions/clubdiscipline?status=0&league=74&club=10607658

The card in this match makes it 4, so he has room for one more yellow before he is suspended.

:lol:

B171JT8IQAAW4j1.jpg

"I have absolutely no sympathy for Liverpool. They had a choice as a club. They didn’t have to buy. They had that choice. Maybe Liverpool’s objectives changed. They were on course to be Premier League contenders, I believe, but, obviously, that has changed"

Been back from the game for a little while now. I have never seen us beat Leicester in the flesh before today, and for much of the game, didn't feel like it was going on happen. An edgy and atypical Itchen Corner reflected the unease. It may be coincidence, but the wet weather and the amount of overcooked or under-hit balls seemed related. Tadic struggled to beat the first man when trying to cross, and for all the forward momentum, Mane had a poor final ball today.

Substitution made all the difference. Best banter centred on the disallowed goal. Itchen North started celebrating and giving it. Leicester fans laughed at us quite hard immediately, then cheered us for everything we did. We gave it back loads after we actually scored including cheering goals that did not happen.

Couple of moans. First, Leicester fans were in our end right in front of me. They got a full bellowed "you've had your day out..." at 2-0. The other moan is for Saints fans. Don't bring your missus to the game if all she is going to do is sit down and play with her phone. Waste of a seat.

That is all.

"I have absolutely no sympathy for Liverpool. They had a choice as a club. They didn’t have to buy. They had that choice. Maybe Liverpool’s objectives changed. They were on course to be Premier League contenders, I believe, but, obviously, that has changed"

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! In your face Rodgers!!! :D

I struggled to believe till Shane Long put us ahead. I really thought our great run was about to end and how difficult the coming coupler of weeks were going to be. Surely like everyone else I was elated when Shane scored, not one, but two goals.

I was really frustrated at Tadic who isn't functioning like previously It high time others were used to take corners. Surely Bertrand would do a great job. His runs and crosses into the box today were real class. He just gets better and better.

First game this season and by no means a vintage performance but a good win. At no point did I ever think Leicester would hit us with a counter punch, we were rock solid at the back, although they are hardly ripping it up on the goal front.

The positives, Wanyama was imense, seems to have gone up a level and can now pass, Some decent touches too. Some great hold up play and bring other into the game from Pelle. Two class finishes from Long, I can those two being a very good pair if we play two up top. Bertrand and Clyne good going forward and Fonte and Tony quality at the back. We kept possession well and Leicester were always at arms length.

Negatives, the final ball was often dreadful, Tadic can't cross with his right and often tried an outside of the foot left which never got anywhere, Mane flattered to deceive, a couple of decent runs but never really did anything of note and was correctly substituted. Also felt we over played at times, one too many touches or flicks, not direct enough when we could have been.

All In all we look a bloody good side though and showed we can break down organised and stubborn teams, which is something we struggled to do at times under poch. Looking forward to see how we do against City as they are nothing to fear right now.

Sat in kitchen corner today. Not an easy game what with them parkinh up shop.

Showed resilience to persevere. Well played Long.

Tadic looked heavy legged all game.

Fullbacks class.

Man of the Match: WANYAMA. absolutely owned the midfield. Rock and stepped up again yhis season with improved passing game.

Up the Saints.

Ps good banter with leicester lot

It was a tough first half and all credit to a well organised Leicester side which kept it's discipline in defence and did their best against our midfield. But it is a testament to our team that despite losing Davis to injury, we can bring on a player like Cork to keep our midfield pressing forward, maintaining patient and relentless pressure until we can turn it into a telling advantage. But we lacked a cutting edge up front until Long came on and began running against a tiring defence. Tadic can usually be relied upon to put in the defence splitting balls, but he was strangely quiet today. Perhaps he has been more effective ahead of Bertrand and the combination with Mane ahead of Bertrand didn't seem to be as fruitful. Bertrand though had a cracking game, but needed somebody ahead of him to carry on the threat produced by his effective runs out wide. Clyne showed some good threat up the other wing as usual, but also one or two uncharacteristically sloppy touches. But together with Fonte and Alderweireld, the defence was once again rock solid and Forster had very little to worry him all afternoon.

Wanyama had a very good game alongside Schneiderlin and the entire midfield and some of their bench replacement options look pretty well as good as any in the division.

Up front, there were some good touches from Pelle, whose hold up play and deft little flicks and touches were excellent, but he was off target with his shooting boots today. But such is our team and squad and the tactical nous of Koeman, that we can change the game with a player like Long. Although his scoring record thus far has not been great, he is an intelligent and hard-working player and has ability. Today was the day it all clicked into place and I'm delighted for him. He could have had a hat trick with his last shot, which looked a fantastic goal from my angle, but had hit the side-netting.

Two great assists, from Pelle and Wanyama, two great goals from Long, into the International break on the back of a win, still second, a further 2 points ahead of City and a further 3 points ahead of Scousehampton. Were the tongues only slightly in the cheeks of the Northam when they sang "We're going to win the League"?

If we're still in this position coming into January, then the belief will intensify, but we have some hard fixtures to come. But apart from Chelsea, do we really fear City, Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton?

We dominated most of the afternoon against a very well organised, hard working but ultimately limited Leicester side. Our final product was very frustrating on a number of occasions, we seemed to do the hard work...and then muck up that final pass, or overplay it a tad too much. I thought Mane caused them all sorts of problems, plays on the shoulder of their full back and was in behind so many times - just couldn't quite deliver well enough.

Tadic wasn't as influential in the final third either, and as we moved into the final throws it was clear we needed to change something. This is where we have a different situation from last season. Last year we'd have brought Guly on to try and influence things, now we can bring on a proven PL player who can change the game.

To be at 25 points at this stage, after the summer we had, is nothing short of fantasy stuff to be honest. Not even the most optimistic person can say they predicted this!

I think we've put ourselves into an amazing situation to challenge for a top 6 place. There will come a period where we have it tough, every single team has one at some stage, but we've given our selves a great platform - actually, a bloody podium, to build from.

Bring on Villa.

The difference between this side and last season is that we now find ways to win games which we would probably have drawn last term.

That's got to be down to Koeman who always dares his players to go out and win games.

Having the squad makes a hell of a difference, much more depth in the final third this year. Plenty of options, which more to come too.

One of the biggest problems I saw with our team last season was the limit of options off the bench. But this season, we're pretty sorted - nobody's going to complain about having players of Cork and Long's talent coming on, and with JRod and JWP to come back, and perhaps Gallagher if he's deemed good enough, puts us in a far better position than last year. If we can get GK sorted then we could alternate between two teams every week!

Couldn't make the game today so I'm glad to see VW is getting the plaudits he deserves - how old is he? Also glad SL is starting to be just more than a pain in the arse - totally understand RK's comments about him needing to adjust to the way we train and how we want him to play.

Not getting over confident (been supporting SFC for to many years) but to be four points ahead of our nearest rivals (Man city no less) is somewhat comforting. If our mindset is right and baring injuries and possible suspensions we should and could put a few of the "big boys" noses out of joint - which is the only thing the press and certain pundits have left in their lockers. Now wouldn't that be good.

Shane Long's first goal was a thing of beauty. Superb build-up play, a brilliant lay off from Pelle and a sublime cool finish into the bottom corner. In the heat of a frantic match with Leicester defending for their lives, chances hard to come by and in abysmal weather conditions it was simply stunning.

Shane Long's first goal was a thing of beauty. Superb build-up play, a brilliant lay off from Pelle and a sublime cool finish into the bottom corner. In the heat of a frantic match with Leicester defending for their lives, chances hard to come by and in abysmal weather conditions it was simply stunning.

His first touch was pretty special.

Cally sat in my seat today while I watched over here in Porto (on business). Clyne was excellent as were several others - Wanyama was outstanding. What a player he is becoming! The Long goals were excellent and I actually cheered out loud during the meeting I was in. This is one of the bets Saints sides I have ever seen in over 50 years - we march on>

Thought we overplayed it at the back a couple of times today and it all felt a bit flat up until a few minutes before Long came on...

Didn't understand we Mane and Tadic didn't swap sides a bit more... Tadic seems to want cross with his wrong foot when he was on the right and Mane needs more end product..but overall still pleased we're getting results even when we're not playing brilliantly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been back from the game for a little while now. I have never seen us beat Leicester in the flesh before today, and for much of the game, didn't feel like it was going on happen. An edgy and atypical Itchen Corner reflected the unease. It may be coincidence, but the wet weather and the amount of overcooked or under-hit balls seemed related. Tadic struggled to beat the first man when trying to cross, and for all the forward momentum, Mane had a poor final ball today.

Substitution made all the difference. Best banter centred on the disallowed goal. Itchen North started celebrating and giving it. Leicester fans laughed at us quite hard immediately, then cheered us for everything we did. We gave it back loads after we actually scored including cheering goals that did not happen.

Couple of moans. First, Leicester fans were in our end right in front of me. They got a full bellowed "you've had your day out..." at 2-0. The other moan is for Saints fans. Don't bring your missus to the game if all she is going to do is sit down and play with her phone. Waste of a seat.

That is all.

:lol:

Best thing you've ever posted!

So, I'm stuck late working at the upcoming Golf Tourney thingy down here, make it to Barasti 10 mins into the second half.

Oh the relief in the Mancs pathetic cheer when Mata scored vs the Resounding, Confident ROAR when we scored.

Then, in the car start the engine up and Lionel Ritchie is singing

Everybody sing, everybody dance, lose yourself in wild Romance.

We're gonna party Karamu, fiesta, across Europe, come on and sing along.

Goal Shane Long, Shane Long, Shane Long,

Goal Shane Long, Shane Long, Shane Long.

Get in, 'Av it. Live for THESE moments and leave tomorrow's worries for?

Well, tomorrow.

Was actually at the match the sort of game we would have lost in the old years dominating for two thirds of the match but failing to score. But this side is disciplined and patient and we got there with a lot to spare.

Defensively brilliant with Leicester having just one shot on target all match!

Great team great performance

Just watching on sky match choice, Wanyama great game. Special mention for both full backs who were superb.

Pelle had a good game, lead the line with some nice touches especially the first goal. 2 fantastic finishes by Shane Long.

So happy for him, hope he has a good scoring run now. Patients is the key in these games, and we now have options off the bench.