How to not be smug ?

PhilippineSaint

How to not be smug ?

We all know that every Saints supporter at the moment is smug

we know we are punching above our weight but we cant find it in our hearts to say that we will let the original top 4 take over

every other supporter keeps telling me "It will not last"

Wrong until I see evidence of the team collapsing we will be second or nearly top.

How to not be smug ?

We all know that every Saints supporter at the moment is smug

we know we are punching above our weight but we cant find it in our hearts to say that we will let the original top 4 take over

every other supporter keeps telling me "It will not last"

Wrong until I see evidence of the team collapsing we will be second or nearly top.

Question - "how to be smug"

Answer - Not yet time to be smug, we have won nothing and could still come in midtable with bad injuries to pelle and/or forster. If and when it comes time to be "smug", I suggest you just remain silently amused at how other clubs fair in their struggles and offer a few kind words of condolences... all the while you internally think how much better it is to be a saints fan than any other club in the country.

It does us no favours to boast or brag, instead just enjoy the silence you hear from glory boys would otherwise be taking the ****. They have nothing to sing or shout about. All of them from Arsenal to liverpool to tottenham... their teams are doing awful.

But remember one golden rule, make friends on the way up, or you'll have none on the way down... just like united and liverpool are/have found out.

I am enjoying it while it lasts. Telling anyone who will listen that we will finish top 4. My view that when / if its goes pear shaped we can use the get out of jail card "well it was obvious it wouldn't last but im clearly going to take the opportunity to wind up all the plastic fans."

Every Saints fan has a decision to make.

Is it better to talk up our prospects, and risk ridicule for disappointed hopes, or to downplay our achievements and miss the opportunity to say "I told you so."

For my part, I think we will achieve something special this season and for that reason, I am affecting an air of humility. We all hate the arrogance of big-club bros, even where it is warranted, so I am pretending to be surprised at each consecutive victory, and suggesting we will return to mid-table, soon enough. I picture myself at the the end of season collecting plaudits from rival bros of my acquaintance. "Well done, bear," will say the Utd bros, the Spurs bros, the Arsenal bros unto me. "I am glad for you." And though the words will be like ashes on their bitter tongues, though they will be envious of my superiority, they shall not be able to blame me for it.

Amen

Is it better to talk up our prospects, and risk ridicule for disappointed hopes, or to downplay our achievements and miss the opportunity to say "I told you so."

For my part, I think we will achieve something special this season and for that reason, I am affecting an air of humility. We all hate the arrogance of big-club bros, even where it is warranted, so I am pretending to be surprised at each consecutive victory, and suggesting we will return to mid-table, soon enough. I picture myself at the the end of season collecting plaudits from rival bros of my acquaintance. "Well done, bear," will say the Utd bros, the Spurs bros, the Arsenal bros unto me. "I am glad for you." And though the words will be like ashes on their bitter tongues, though they will be envious of my superiority, they shall not be able to blame me for it.

Amen

I find it hard to argue with this post--which is too bad because I am always looking for topics for my blog.

Amen

Great post!

The exception, of course, is Pompey bros. Any Pompey bros, I am rubbing my self in their dirty, in-bred faces!

I am but human!

With any Skate supporters of my acquaintance, most of the ones I know are clients of my business, so I have to be a bit more diplomatic with them. The crocodile tear routine is the right approach. I tell them how sorry I am to witness their fall from the dizzy heights of the top half of the PL into the deepest recessed depths of the fourth division in such a short space of time. I mention the probability that there is little likelihood of us playing each other on equal terms for many, many years to come, and bemoan the lack of friendly rivalry between our two clubs, now that Bournemouth have usurped them as our number one local rivals. Naturally I try and muster as much sincerity into my voice as I can. Currently, I can also wish them success in their Cup replay against Aldershot and express the opinion that the Shots really must have raised their game, because of how big a scalp you represented to them, a mini Cup final for them, wasn't it?

I learnt this one from the pts thread. What you do right, is innocently ask, "Who are you playing this week?" and then when they say Morecambe or Stevenage or whatever, you have to fight hard to keep straight face, or laugh uproariously, depending how little respect you owe the poor sap.

For my part, I think we will achieve something special this season and for that reason, I am affecting an air of humility.

I'm currently utilising a range of approaches. Dominated by an air of noble and elegant humility, but with appropriate subterfuge when the opportunity arises. It's so much fun particularly after the smugness of the summer from the Liverpool and Spurs supporters at work. Luckily, I held strong with confidence over the summer, so while saying 'I told you so' is always a mistake, I find a mild shrug and "I did say..." seems to do the job. There are enough supporters of other clubs laughing at Spurs and Liverpool, to mean I can take a more kindly and sympathetic tone to their plight. Although I do always make sure I innocently ask how their games went at the weekend...

It's early days so we have achieved little and I'm sure the bigger clubs like Spurs and Liverpool who are both showing genuine signs of recovery, will no doubt gently put us back in our place.

Let's remember that they had quite a few new players and they need time to gel so you wouldn't expect much of them yet

That said....11 points is a huge fricking gap to make up! :lol:

But for the moment let's keep smug in the armoury - we might get the chance to display it in May next year.

I don't agree that we are punching above our weight. We are where we are on merit. It is not our fault that so many of the so called big clubs are misfiring. I think the only club we need to worry about is Chelsea.

We are punching above our weight. But we are also where we are on merit. You can be both. We are both.

We are punching above our weight. But we are also where we are on merit. You can be both. We are both.

Don't agree with the term 'punching above our weight' for starters it's patronizing and secondly it assumes that we are not as good as the table suggests. Fact is our TEAM is performing far better than the others with exception of Chelsea... So far. Simple. We finished 8th last season and as everyone says 'improved with the transfers' so we should be doing better than last season... This is our weight now... Sure it might be closer had some of the other sides who traditionally do better been more consistent, but we would still be up amongst it based on our results.

Our weight right now is top 6 and that is where we are and where I believe we will finish... The position within that could surprise us even more, but a lot will depend on how others do, luck and whether our form remains as high...

Currently, any Tottenham or Liverpool fans are fair game, and I particularly enjoy the Brenda quote re ambitions and sympathy. I also do my best to emulate our Ron's Sunderland look. With the Arsenal fans I just play along with the bubble is about to burst tactic and finally, with United, I find the "should have kept Moyes" works a treat. I know it's puerile but we are second in the table after all these clubs tried to stop us gate crashing their party.

I don't agree that we are punching above our weight. We are where we are on merit. It is not our fault that so many of the so called big clubs are misfiring. I think the only club we need to worry about is Chelsea.

6 of the 7 teams that finished above us last season all had wage bills which are more than our entire turnover. Some make more just from Commerical activity than our entire turnover, lets not forget with your a certain former CEO at the helm he manged to get our commerical incomes to the level of a midtable championship club. In terms of income those clubs are twice or even three times bigger. Only one of those teams now sit above us in the league so in terms of income and club size we are very much punching above our weight. However has others have said, we're there on merit and we deserve to be where we are right now.

Currently, any Tottenham or Liverpool fans are fair game, and I particularly enjoy the Brenda quote re ambitions and sympathy. I also do my best to emulate our Ron's Sunderland look. With the Arsenal fans I just play along with the bubble is about to burst tactic and finally, with United, I find the "should have kept Moyes" works a treat. I know it's puerile but we are second in the table after all these clubs tried to stop us gate crashing their party.

I got loads of crap from the Liverpool fans at work, during the summer, with regards to them taking all our best players. Right now I'm giving it back 10 fold and loving it. Smug? you better f ucking believe it:D

With any Skate supporters of my acquaintance, most of the ones I know are clients of my business, so I have to be a bit more diplomatic with them. The crocodile tear routine is the right approach. I tell them how sorry I am to witness their fall from the dizzy heights of the top half of the PL into the deepest recessed depths of the fourth division in such a short space of time. I mention the probability that there is little likelihood of us playing each other on equal terms for many, many years to come, and bemoan the lack of friendly rivalry between our two clubs, now that Bournemouth have usurped them as our number one local rivals. Naturally I try and muster as much sincerity into my voice as I can. Currently, I can also wish them success in their Cup replay against Aldershot and express the opinion that the Shots really must have raised their game, because of how big a scalp you represented to them, a mini Cup final for them, wasn't it?

My favourite is still the simple (and innocent) enquiry - "who are you playing this weekend?" This could easily be followed with "where's that?" but, frankly, it's not even necessary. Fleetwood or Morcambe says it all.

Don't agree with the term 'punching above our weight' for starters it's patronizing and secondly it assumes that we are not as good as the table suggests. Fact is our TEAM is performing far better than the others with exception of Chelsea... So far. Simple. We finished 8th last season and as everyone says 'improved with the transfers' so we should be doing better than last season... This is our weight now... Sure it might be closer had some of the other sides who traditionally do better been more consistent, but we would still be up amongst it based on our results.

Our weight right now is top 6 and that is where we are and where I believe we will finish... The position within that could surprise us even more, but a lot will depend on how others do, luck and whether our form remains as high...

You don't understand the phrase "punching above our weight".

Oh well.

I have 3 kids. The 1st two I brainwashed. The Ex Wife & her family were Scouse ST holder so I lost that battle.

He now lives with us.

My Son in Law is a Spud.

I understand the "it own't last" theory. Also for the sake of family integrity I have the be careful what I post on FB & Twitter.

But after the "knowing looks" I had for the past 7 years? Hell no. I am enjoying EVERY post & FB update of the tables and press articles.

Revenge is sweet

I have 3 kids. The 1st two I brainwashed. The Ex Wife & her family were Scouse ST holder so I lost that battle.

He now lives with us.

My Son in Law is a Spud.

I understand the "it own't last" theory. Also for the sake of family integrity I have the be careful what I post on FB & Twitter.

But after the "knowing looks" I had for the past 7 years? Hell no. I am enjoying EVERY post & FB update of the tables and press articles.

Revenge is sweet

I can identify with that.

Daughter #1 lived a long time in Scouseland and did take an interest in the local red team, but is fast converting. #2 still loyal to Hull, which I can respect.

But their boyfriends (one soon to be son-in-law) are Man U and Arsenal and I revel in their discomfort. They are seriously worried that their beloved "big" teams may not actually be as good as Saints this season.

to date we have had a great start, infact the best start we have ever had. We have the advantage that apart from Man City and Chelsea, the rest of the "big 6" are struggling. I think the talk of us having not played the big teams yet and our results will decline when we start playing them is as wrong as the comments at the start of the season that we would struggle and likely be relegated.

There are several precedence's of the "smaller teams" starting strongly and then declining badly, West Brom and Newcastle come to mind, but if we can keep this settled team playing and not get hit by bad injuries, bans etc. I really think we will not drop off as we did last season as we have a deeper squad and I think a better management team. I think there is a good chance also that we may be assisted by Liverpool and Spurs continuing to punch under their weight. Although Man U I think will do better we just may be able to keep within reach of them later in the season.

I tell every one that we cant possibly win the next game coming up. I have an Arsenal fanatic mate who I tell every game that we will lose and they will win and am loving banter when the opposite keeps happening. Unfortunately have tickets in the Arsenal end v us coming up but feel I have nothing to lose as we beat them in the cup and surely they should be beating us!!!!

...I understand the phrase very well... Just in my opinion, it's not one I believe should be used because of what it implies...

You struggling to accept differing points of view.... Again...and again....

oh well...

It "implies" we are doing better in our league position by being the second best in the country (the punching) than our resources, finances, squad cost and revenue (the weight), which is not the second best in the country, therefore our punching is above our weight.

Just some people with chips on their shoulders who get upset that we are being patronised and make up their own interpretations what a howwible thing it is to say about us. It really, clearly isn't.

Not really about a difference of opinion. We are punching above our weight. Simple.

...I understand the phrase very well... Just in my opinion, it's not one I believe should be used because of what it implies...

You struggling to accept differing points of view.... Again...and again....

oh well...

What do you think the expression 'punching above our weight' means Franco?

Taking the boxing analogy further I see it like this:

Chelsea are Mike Tyson in his pomp. Utterly dominant and ruthless.

Saints are Evander Holyfield. Coming up from the lower leagues and mixing it with the big boys.

Liverpool are Oliver McCall crying in the ring.

Taking the boxing analogy further I see it like this:

Chelsea are Mike Tyson in his pomp. Utterly dominant and ruthless.

Saints are Evander Holyfield. Coming up from the lower leagues and mixing it with the big boys.

Liverpool are Oliver McCall crying in the ring.

Liverpool are John Conteh, fittingly.

Agree with this Frank.........what does 'punching above our weight' really mean?

So a provincial club is doing better than the medias' favorites .........**** happens and this year its scouse, yids and the plastics who are **** LOL

It "implies" we are doing better in our league position by being the second best in the country (the punching) than our resources, finances, squad cost and revenue (the weight), which is not the second best in the country, therefore our punching is above our weight.

Just some people with chips on their shoulders who get upset that we are being patronised and make up their own interpretations what a howwible thing it is to say about us. It really, clearly isn't.

Not really about a difference of opinion. We are punching above our weight. Simple.

Simple explanation :yawn: from a sim.............

I understand perfectly... I just don't consider it relevant - what we are doing is proving that the resources, finances, squad cost, and revenue, do not need to be considered as the key criteria - if you use other criteria, such as infrastructure, team work ethic, squad harmony, coaching quality etc... then we are probably 'punching at our weight' as its clear that in these categories far from average.

By always focusing on the financial resource, it undermines the value of those qualities we are excelling at.... nowt to do with chips on shoulders, just a different perspective, one that looks at what is driving or progress and suggests these can be more important qualities than the resources that you seem stuck on.

And just for Turks, before you go on ...and on... about some sort of obsession given the posting times - the hint was 'airport lounge' - just happen to travel frequently in my job, which means time to kill at odd times and in different time ones... and means more time spent with family during normal hours....

I understand perfectly... I just don't consider it relevant - what we are doing is proving that the resources, finances, squad cost, and revenue, do not need to be considered as the key criteria - if you use other criteria, such as infrastructure, team work ethic, squad harmony, coaching quality etc... then we are probably 'punching at our weight' as its clear that in these categories far from average.

By always focusing on the financial resource, it undermines the value of those qualities we are excelling at.... nowt to do with chips on shoulders, just a different perspective, one that looks at what is driving or progress and suggests these can be more important qualities than the resources that you seem stuck on.

And just for Turks, before you go on ...and on... about some sort of obsession given the posting times - the hint was 'airport lounge' - just happen to travel frequently in my job, which means time to kill at odd times and in different time ones... and means more time spent with family during normal hours....

I'm not "stuck on" anything, I'm just dealing in simple facts.

Nice attempt to suggest I am not looking at "the things that are driving our progress" and you, captain Nuance, is the person doing that.

Well, there was fu ck all evidence of that wonderful perspective when you were having your little paddy over the summer, was there? Your petulant tantrums over the summer suggested a wee bit more focus on horrible old "resources" than you are letting on now. But then you always are full of it.

We are punching above our weight and I am very proud of that.

Of course we are punching above our weight.

How many thought we would be 2nd at the start of the season?

None, is the answer

Frank did apparently. He knew all along.

While the rest of us are obsessed with "resources", Frank, who would never lower himself to ever even thinking about "resources", knew we would definitely be second in November and therefore is not in any way surprised.

So let me get this straight. You *****ed, wailed and sulked from January through to the end of August that there was no ambition at the club, the champions league dream was over, we are going to be just another also ran but we shouldn't accept that, we should demand more just as your fallen hero did. Yet now we're 2nd doing better than many of is could have hoped and the champions league dream is back on (for some) we're doing exactly as you thought we should do. So if 'our weight' is top 6 what was your pint sized hero doing only taking us to 8th? No wonder Kat got shot of him.

Edited by Turkish

Ooh, petty point scoring, this is fun.

So let me get this straight. You *****ed, wailed and sulked from January through to the end of August that there was no ambition at the club, the champions league dream was over, we are going to be just another also ran but we shouldn't accept that, we should demand more just as your fallen hero did. Yet now we're 2nd doing better than many of is could have hoped and the champions league dream is back on (for some) we're doing exactly as you thought we should do. So if 'our weight' is top 6 what was your pint sized hero doing only taking us to 8th? No wonder Kat got shot of him.

Frank did apparently. He knew all along.

While the rest of us are obsessed with "resources", Frank, who would never lower himself to ever even thinking about "resources", knew we would definitely be second in November and therefore is not in any way surprised.

one factor is missing at present ..having not won anything... yet. But that will come. When you have a good team that has won something and is still playing together - that's something to be glad about.

YES, I know it's early days, but it's also fun just thumbing down the league table to try and find those "Big Clubs" who spent £100+ million in the summer ....and who still can't make it work.

Even if we don't win a trophy, we may qualify for " something Euro " by the end of the season, but meanwhile ...every day I can look at the Prem.table ...and see us above Spuds and MU....is a good day.:smug: