Will clyne get a a start/cap in the next couple of England games?

Batman

would be an absolute travesty if not!!!

I also notice roy is starting to back track about his stance on players not playing but still being called up.

He has now warned lambert and townsend that if they remain out of the their club sides, then they will not be called up

I also notice roy is starting to back track about his stance on players not playing but still being called up.

He has now warned lambert and townsend that if they remain out of the their club sides, then they will not be called up

I read that too - hopefully he's either realised for himself or someone on his team who is sensible (Gary Neville perhaps?) has made this recommendation. We all love Rickie, but as England fans, it'll be ridiculous if he plays. Although we're not exactly blessed with quality strikers, especially with Sturridge out.

This international break will be Lambert's swansong, I suspect. He'll get some game time at Celtic Park, and that'll be that.

I'd imagine Chambers will probably play against Slovenia on Saturday, rightly or wrongly, but Clyne will play in Glasgow. It's a huge squad for two games, which suggests that there will be significant changes between the qualifier and the friendly.

Frankly I think Clyne is in a position to say: "Roy, stop messing me about or don't bother calling me up any more." Especially after the way Chambers was shown up this weekend.

I know where you're coming from and in a way I agree but surely this is the sort of attitude that has started to kill international football.

To play for your country has to be one of the highest honour in football and I cringe when players think they are too good to be called up and then not used. Besides, there is a real opportunity to have a Southampton influence right across theback with Clyne (RB) Shaw(LB) Chambers (CB) and AN Other in front of Forster!

It would be an embarrassing decision by Hodgson to persevere with Chambers at right-back instead of Clyne after the way he was humiliated against Swansea yesterday. The number of times he was skinned by Jefferson Monteiro throughout the match was incredible. This season Chambers has looked far more comfortable at centre-half so I wouldn't actually blame Hodgson if he plays him there with a view to the future.

Johnson struggled a bit against Chelsea too, Clyne just looks head and shoulders above them both.

My tinfoil hat sometimes leads me to wonder if there is a dodgy government/lobbyist type relationship between the England management and the big clubs. If Chambers yet again shuts out Clyne, it is beyond reasonable doubt to think the only thing missing in his game is the correct shirt he plays club football in. If Chambers continues to be favoured, there is literally nothing more Clyne can do but leave Southampton.

Lallana for instance is probably going to be a shoe-in nowadays, despite a very underwhelming season so far.

I read that too - hopefully he's either realised for himself or someone on his team who is sensible (Gary Neville perhaps?) has made this recommendation. We all love Rickie, but as England fans, it'll be ridiculous if he plays. Although we're not exactly blessed with quality strikers, especially with Sturridge out.
Charlie Austin should be in ahead of Lambert.

It would be an embarrassing decision by Hodgson to persevere with Chambers at right-back instead of Clyne after the way he was humiliated against Swansea yesterday.

Much like it's ridiculous to want a player in the squad on the strength of one or two good performances, it's also ridiculous to want a player dropped on the strength of one bad performance. Arsenal's back 4 is in a similar situation to Liverpool's in that it gets absolutely no protection from the midfield in front of them. Based on the last couple of qualifiers, the right-back slot is probably Chambers' to lose at the moment, and Hodgson almost certainly won't take his performance at Swansea in isolation when making that decision. Clyne should be in there on merit, and I'm sure he will get his chance, but it'll probably be at Celtic Park next week rather than Wembley on Saturday.

No!

Chambers will start, he plays for Arsenal so that means he will automatically start for England. Why would Woy want to put the most inform RB in the league at the expense of a CB who plays for Arsenal in the RB role?

And who had such a terrible game on Sunday last.

A lot of people have lost interest in the England team. Even the boost it gives Saints' fans on seeing our players selected, went a bit flat when all three who were in the World Cup Squad couldn't wait to get away.

But this latest comment by Hodgson makes you wonder if he's up to the job. What is the point of publicly 'warning' players that they will be dropped by England if they aren't playing in their club's starting XI. Its not their decision so why warn them? Explain the reason when they are left out, but to humiliate them in public in advance is hardly the action of a good man manager.

I hope Clyne gets a start, or at least a sub appearance, for his own sake, but being an England player seems to have lost some of the gloss that it once had.

The travesty has come and gone. He was the best RB by miles last season and didn't make the World Cup squad. Glen Johnson is woeful, and Flanagan was ahead of Clyne despite playing out of position in a consistently poor defence.

Never try to use logic with England. People can write it off as bias but it's proven every squad that big club reserves and preferred and no manager has the balls to put team before egos. Took Delph forever to get a cap despite playing well in a poor team, so he'll move somewhere else. Cork is need looked at, Huddlestone and Livermore got caps while at spurs, then got ignored when they began to play more consistently at hull. Shawcross is ignored despite being one of the leagues more consistent defenders, and what fan would choose Smalling over him really?

Wilshere doesn't seem to need to perform for club or country to get picked, Rooney doesn't need to perform for country and doesn't seem to want to play up front. Let's be honest if Hodgson or Capello or Sven had their way we'd still have a midfield of Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes right now. Past it, out of position and unsuited together, it's the England way.

Just imagine how how fast and attacking this side could be though:

Hart

Clyne Cahill Jagielka Baines

Delph Chamberlain Henderson

Walcott Sturridge Sterling

Fast and attacking =/= winning games, unfortunately! :)

However, I think you've hit the nail on the head with regards to the lack of competition in the England side. Players like Rooney & Wilshere have no incentive to perform when it comes to international games as they know that more often than not they're going to get game time. Compare with Saints now, for example, where every player is hungry to train hard and play harder in the knowledge that if they don't, they won't get the chance to play!

Personally I find it hard to care about international football these days. I'd be much happier if all the saints team weren't anywhere near their national sides I'm going to be gutted if any of our players pick up injuries in some crappy international game that then effects our league form. Sadly I realise that being called up for your country is important to players but just look how much Sturridge's injury has affected Liverpool. Much rather that Arsenal's right back gets injured than ours HTBH

Fast and attacking =/= winning games, unfortunately! :)

However, I think you've hit the nail on the head with regards to the lack of competition in the England side. Players like Rooney & Wilshere have no incentive to perform when it comes to international games as they know that more often than not they're going to get game time. Compare with Saints now, for example, where every player is hungry to train hard and play harder in the knowledge that if they don't, they won't get the chance to play!

Yeah, except for Forster, Bertrand, Clyne, Tadic and Pelle.

I reckon Clyne will start at least one game, will impress, his club form with us will continue, he'll be un-droppable (if thats a word) from the next England squad, and he'll continue to serve as our number one right back for England. Chambers will be more used as a centre back reserve rather than a starting right back for England. This weekend will be the start of Clyne's future England career.

I also notice Roy is starting to back track about his stance on players not playing but still being called up.

He has now warned Lambert and Townsend that if they remain out of the their club sides, then they will not be called up

That was a good call, Batman. Recognition for Nathaniel - at last.

At least Rickie got his usual 10 mins. at the end, although there were several others involved in the build-up for 3rd. goal, RL had a spell of ball retention on the touch-line before it was played on to Rooney.

That was a good call, Batman. Recognition for Nathaniel - at last.

At least Rickie got his usual 10 mins. at the end, although there were several others involved in the build-up for 3rd. goal, RL had a spell of ball retention on the touch-line before it was played on to Rooney.

Yeah, ususal Rickie play there. Did well in a little caemo.

This was probably Rickie's swansong though. Gives it a nice even ending, seeing that his debut was against Scotland and a year later his final game is against them.

Yeah, ususal Rickie play there. Did well in a little caemo.

This was probably Rickie's swansong though. Gives it a nice even ending, seeing that his debut was against Scotland and a year later his final game is against them.

sounds about right, but...as Rodgers has no other options for a striker, he might be forced to give Rickie a longer run-out.

Balotelli hasn't impressed anyone considering the amount of time he's spend on the pitch without scoring.

A " Rickie revival" might keep him in the squad a bit longer, with Sturridge still out.

sounds about right, but...as Rodgers has no other options for a striker, he might be forced to give Rickie a longer run-out.

Balotelli hasn't impressed anyone considering the amount of time he's spend on the pitch without scoring.

A " Rickie revival" might keep him in the squad a bit longer, with Sturridge still out.

Doesn't actually matter how well he does for Liverpool, if he starts 5+ times between now and March he'll be in the England squad.