Toby wants to stay

FloridaMarlin

Don't think the club works that way do they? They've made an agreement. If Atletico Madrid try to change the agreement the club will probably walk away already having other good CB choices lined up. I think Saints these days don't take any sh it. This summer proved we won't budge on transfers (in or out) if we don't think we're getting a good deal (just look at the Rojo transfer).

He's clearly worth more than the amount agreed though. It's also dangerous to assume that every signing we make will turn out as good as the rest. Why not bung them a couple of extra million, which he is completely worth, and get someone we KNOW can perform in this league for us.

He's clearly worth more than the amount agreed though. It's also dangerous to assume that every signing we make will turn out as good as the rest. Why not bung them a couple of extra million, which he is completely worth, and get someone we KNOW can perform in this league for us.

Not saying I disagree. I just don't think the club sees it like that they had an agreement with Aletico Madrid and this summer showed, at least to me, that the club doesn't like being d icked about buy other clubs and players to the point where they will walk away rather than get shafted.

Not saying I disagree. I just don't think the club sees it like that they had an agreement with Aletico Madrid and this summer showed, at least to me, that the club doesn't like being d icked about buy other clubs and players to the point where they will walk away rather than get shafted.

But if the Madrid buy out option was part of the deal, there would be no violation of the agreement when Madrid exercises it and no reason for us to be upset by it. In any case, it is premature to worry about it since we don't know what the player will want when the time comes.

Exactly, its clear that they believe they could get more than the 8m concluded in the deal (6.3m plus the severence fee)

Surely we could just offer more and save them the heartache of messing about, which in reality, if we want him, is what will happen

Why would it happen? It's not at all clear we would get him if Atletico started a bidding war and one of the big clubs came in for him, offering money we don't have (never mind ambitions).

Interesting that one of the reasons the deal went through was Atheltico's need to balance the books:

"It should be remembered, however, that his departure from Atlético needed to be brokered in order to balance out first team expenditure."

http://www.marca.com/en/2014/11/11/en/football/spanish_football/1415735976.html?a=1870b42ab5bb27200d4f2a69f05ec251&t=1415738225

Why would it happen? It's not at all clear we would get him if Atletico started a bidding war and one of the big clubs came in for him, offering money we don't have (never mind ambitions).

All Im saying is this sort of thing very much happens.

They realise they can get a bit more, try it on, we either pay extra and get the job done quick or its dragged out.

Im under no illusions if a big club comes in they'll be in pole position. Its just pretty likely that Athletico may be starting to yank our chain a bit. Worth remembering they really dont have a lot of dosh

It's not so much the player as the culture and system in which they play. Lovren look d good in our system but is all over the place in Scouseland, Toby couldn't nail down a position at Athletico and sat most of the time on the bench and do you think Jose would be first pick at OT, EtS or SB?

Maybe José's contributions to the defence is underestimated?