Are the media getting worried ?

alpine_saint

We are keeping our run going, the Nov-Dec run doesnt look like it may turn out as catastrophic for us as hoped because all 3 teams are mis-firing, and the claim "we will fall away" is starting to look threadbare.

Lol and behold, with the elevated chance that one of the beloved "top 4" isnt going to the CL next year at out expense, the media start what is for me a concerted attempt to de-stabillise us again with stories about Koeman, Mitchell, Schneiderlin and Toby.

Its pathetic.

no, pretty much everywhere I turn, look, hear. they really want us (and west ham) to do it this season.

this is in your own mind (and a few others)

bit like the loons on here over the summer, suggesting the media where doing just as you suggest with their stories...yet one by one, they all turned out to be true

soon, someone will suggest cortese is behind these latest ones

Edited by Batman

Lol. Do you see the media as one collective with the same opinion? How many positive pieces do you need?

Media so in love with Arsenal and Liverpool at the mo. Should be an enquiry as to why there have been no articles criticising them.

Lol. Do you see the media as one collective with the same opinion? How many positive pieces do you need?

Media so in love with Arsenal and Liverpool at the mo. Should be an enquiry as to why there have been no articles criticising them.

And Pelligrini. Oh, he has been so "beloved" by the media this season. And Man U. They haven't put a foot wrong according to the media reporting on them all season. So "beloved" they are.

Alpine chats sh it shocker.

Well, thats crap in my opinion.

The reporting on our success has been bemused, perhaps occasionally patronising.

Not like you to avoid getting a dig in, though.......

We're doing not bad for a team with a Steve Wigley level manager anyway, Alpine.

Always going to be people in the media looking to unsettle plucky teams/players punching above their level. Look at Betahino's first press conference since getting in the England squad. Basically getting him to admit he'll need to move clubs soon in order to progress his career. Its wrong but won't stop and theres nothing you can do about it. Just enjoy the fact we seem to be defying the "experts" at every turn.

We are keeping our run going, the Nov-Dec run doesnt look like it may turn out as catastrophic for us as hoped because all 3 teams are mis-firing, and the claim "we will fall away" is starting to look threadbare.

Lol and behold, with the elevated chance that one of the beloved "top 4" isnt going to the CL next year at out expense, the media start what is for me a concerted attempt to de-stabillise us again with stories about Koeman, Mitchell, Schneiderlin and Toby.

Its pathetic.

Dont be paranoid Alps- this goes with the territory of being successful- take it as a complement that the club and it's players are now more newsworthy. Rumours and speculation are the lifeblood of the papers, especially when there is an international break and no one really cares about Hodgson and Rooney love in... If by some chance we do get a CL place, 90% of the coverage we get will be positive, 10% will be selling our players for us ... The success is worth it don't you think?

Its pathetic.

The National Press like the top 6 to be the big guns - Chelsea, United, City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs - always have done, sells more papers etc. You watch what happens as soon as we start losing a few.

I agree, it is pathetic but, in the words of our manager "that's football"

Why would the media be 'worried'? All they care about is selling copy and SFC currently makes an interesting story - endless opportunities for articles.

If anything I wish we weren't so reported about, to operate under the radar. Bigging up our players could be destabilising.

Why do so many on here give a monkey's what the media say? I really couldn't give a toss, reality is our current performances and 2nd place, the rest is vapid nonsense.

The fans of the other clubs will still read their reports so I'd imagine the media are quite enjoying the added flavour that our assault on the top is adding.

The National Press like the top 6 to be the big guns - Chelsea, United, City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs - always have done, sells more papers etc. You watch what happens as soon as we start losing a few.

I agree, it is pathetic but, in the words of our manager "that's football"

Okay, what "will happen when we start losing a few"?

Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Man City have been "losing a few" all season and have copped no end of sh it from "the media".

It's really only nutcases on this forum that think the media "fawn over" the "beloved" big clubs.

Just goes to show the delicate flowers on this forum cannot actually cope with Saints being a top 4 club.

The big clubs day in, day out are on the receiving end relentless barrage of criticism, rumour, counter-rumour, conflicting agendas from agents, players, brokers, ex-players, ex-managers and anyone else with an opinion. Man United have has to put up with that crap for decades, as have Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and all the others. Week in, week out, season in, season out, for decades. 10, 20, 100 times more than Saints have ever, ever had to deal with.

We get a little story about one of our backroom staff possibly leaving to go to another club and we are being "de-stabilised".

What a fu cking joke. Man up.

About what?

Readership and clickbait. Outside of Saints fans, no-one really wants to read about us. Why would they? It's why smaller clubs don't get the space, and why teams like Liverpool and Spurs still get column inches ahead of us, even though we're second and they're 11th. The papers will be looking at a reduction in readership and clicks I'd we get Champions League, as well as ITV and Sky getting less viewers.

Well, thats crap in my opinion.

The reporting on our success has been bemused, perhaps occasionally patronising.

Not like you to avoid getting a dig in, though.......

I kind of agree with Alpine o.0

There are some sources that want us to do well... (Keown, Shearer, Henry Winter, Guardian etc)

Many are bemused and set us up for a fall whilst saying we will fall away.

Then there is are favourite reporter in the Fail, who still prints negative stories aimed at unsettling the fans and the club. He does this without fail. Not a coincidence to my mind, he really cant stand us.

Readership and clickbait. Outside of Saints fans, no-one really wants to read about us. Why would they? It's why smaller clubs don't get the space, and why teams like Liverpool and Spurs still get column inches ahead of us, even though we're second and they're 11th. The papers will be looking at a reduction in readership and clicks I'd we get Champions League, as well as ITV and Sky getting less viewers.

Man U will still receive far more coverage than we do, even if we finish third and they finish eighth - and so they should, they are tons bigger than we are with far more fans, far more interest. Same for Spurs and Liverpool. Liverpool in crisis is clickbait gold.

Basically that's how it should be - Saints are a provincial club with a local fanbase, the others are national clubs with huge global fanbases.

And it will also be true that BT Sport, as a business, will not want Saints in the Champions League - they've spent a fortune for next season and have got subs and advertising to sell - they would clearly want Liverpool in there, not us. Again, that's fine. If I was the BT Sport marketing director, so would I.

But that isn't the same as saying "the media" are trying to "destabilise us" so we don't finish top four, and it isn't true that the big clubs just get fawned over.

Basically the Saints fans on here seem to want us to be treated the same as big clubs, but ignore the fact that in general the big clubs get far more shi t from the media than any other clubs ever get. How many negative stories have you seen about Burnley this season? And how many about Liverpool?

Edited by CB Fry

Man U will still receive far more coverage than we do, even if we finish third and they finish eighth - and so they should, they are tons bigger than we are with far more fans, far more interest. Same for Spurs and Liverpool. Liverpool in crisis is clickbait gold.

Basically that's how it should be - Saints are a provincial club with a local fanbase, the others are national clubs with huge local and global fanbases.

And it will also be true that BT Sport, as a business, will not want Saints in the Champions League - they've spent a fortune for next season and have got subs and advertising to sell - they would clearly want Liverpool in there, not us. Again, that's fine. If I was the BT Sport marketing director, so would I.

But that isn't the same as saying "the media" are trying to "destabilise us" so we don't finish top four, and it isn't true that the big clubs just get fawned over.

Basically the Saints fans on here seem to want us to be treated the same as big clubs, but ignore the fact that in general the big clubs get far more shi t from the media than any other clubs ever get. How many negative stories have you seen about Burnley this season? And how many about Liverpool?

Yes it's simple clickbait. But that's the point. They will have to report on Saints, pushing stories about bigger clubs out. That's the issue.

I'm certainly not saying that the papers fawn over the bigger clubs, and they try to destabilise all clubs, but they don't tend to when the clubs are doing well. Where was the last batch of negative Chelsea stories for instance?

It is refreshing to see those journos who want us/WHU/etc to be there to breath fresh life into things. While they don't always write about it (Martin Samuel does), I think it is tacit acknowledgment that the dominance by a few clubs isn't good (albeit better than other leagues).

Then there are others who are happier with the laissez faire. Maybe they are too close to certain clubs. Maybe they think that their articles might help them or harm us. Maybe it is de rigueur to put down over achievers. A good man manager should be able to use all that to his advantage, and I think it has been.

I agree though that journos just writing our chances off is a little silly, condescending, etc. But that's the way it is and most supporters think their club gets unfavourable treatment. Not sure you will find many ManU/C, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton who would think they are getting good treatment.

Yes it's simple clickbait. But that's the point. They will have to report on Saints, pushing stories about bigger clubs out. That's the issue.

I'm certainly not saying that the papers fawn over the bigger clubs, and they try to destabilise all clubs, but they don't tend to when the clubs are doing well. Where was the last batch of negative Chelsea stories for instance?

Why would there be negative stories about Chelsea right now? Chelsea between Jose leaving and Jose coming back copped it plenty.

If rumours about key people leaving is "destabilisation" then Liverpool (who were doing very well) were being destabilised all season last year re Suarez departure.

If we are in the CL next season, there will still be more stories about Man U and Liverpool, even if they're not. The stories will still run, the clickbait will still be there.

Why would there be negative stories about Chelsea right now? Chelsea between Jose leaving and Jose coming back copped it plenty.

If rumours about key people leaving is "destabilisation" then Liverpool (who were doing very well) were being destabilised all season last year re Suarez departure.

If we are in the CL next season, there will still be more stories about Man U and Liverpool, even if they're not. The stories will still run, the clickbait will still be there.

Not last season they weren't, season before yes, but not last year.

There aren't negative stories about Chelsea because they're doing well, there is nothing negative to report on. The same as us, yet the press are finding negative things to report on. That's where the issue is.

I think you're failing to understand my point.

Well, I think we are viewed as upsetting the status quo. A few journos will have a giggle about it (of course, for as long as it lasts), but too many are too close to certain clubs and have a vested interest to not want it to go on for too long.......

I havent in the slightest inferred there is some sort of co-ordination going on between the journos.

Nah, I only see paranoia here sorry.

Almost every pundit I've seen wants us (and West Ham) to upset the apple cart. Some (who aren't exactly coy about their allegiances, and I don't see why they should be - though it would be good to see more variances in these) will want their clubs to do well, but I get the impression they would want us to do well at their rivals expenses.

I've not seen any pundit wanting us to fall away, some have expressed doubts that we may fall away. If they think that, then it's their job to say so, giving an opinion is pretty much the definition of a pundits job. To be honest, I'm surprised just how many people are saying they think we can hang around near the top end or at least giving the question serious deliberation. I'm certainly still not so sure we will get a Top 4 or Top 6 place, though I really do hope I'm wrong. And I spent half the summer being called a deluded clapper.

There will always be a feeling of wanting us to succeed (as it's a great story) and wanting us to fail (as it keeps the natural order) but I can't see a conspiracy here - at least in the media. I'm sure Levy wants our recruitment team. Who wouldn't? That's the shortcut to success that any team wants and they can afford it. They tried that with Pochettino and failed. This is another roll of the dice, not the media stirring.

Not last season they weren't, season before yes, but not last year.

There aren't negative stories about Chelsea because they're doing well, there is nothing negative to report on. The same as us, yet the press are finding negative things to report on. That's where the issue is.

I think you're failing to understand my point.

I think you are failing to understand that there is no attempt to destabilise us.

If there is a collective "media" viewpoint (which there isn't) then it is the absolute joy that something new is happening.

Well, I think we are viewed as upsetting the status quo. A few journos will have a giggle about it (of course, for as long as it lasts), but too many are too close to certain clubs and have a vested interest to not want it to go on for too long.......

I havent in the slightest inferred there is some sort of co-ordination going on between the journos.

What journalist has a "vested interest" in our failure, or indeed the success of any club? How does that even work?

Just paranoid babbling nonsense.

It wasn't journalists saying we were going to appoint a terrible manager in the summer. It was you.

I think you are failing to understand that there is no attempt to destabilise us.

If there is a collective "media" viewpoint (which there isn't) then it is the absolute joy that something new is happening.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree then. I think there are certain sections of the media, and certainly journalists, that will lose out on revenue if Saints get into the Champions League. I also think certain journalists will go out of their way to write negative articles about us in an attempt to destabilise the club. But that's just my opinion.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree then. I think there are certain sections of the media, and certainly journalists, that will lose out on revenue if Saints get into the Champions League. I also think certain journalists will go out of their way to write negative articles about us in an attempt to destabilise the club. But that's just my opinion.

Nah sorry mate. This just simply is not true.

The only response to that is LOL.

The Haywood article in the telegraph has been repeated by other parts of the media http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11220352/Decadence-and-indiscriminate-big-spending-mean-Premier-League-could-be-all-but-finished-by-Christmas.html.

People like David and Goliath stories, especially given wider disillusionment about the game. It's one reason why Atletico upsetting the Real/Barca got so much press last season and they were no angels in terms of sporting purity.

The press is still wary whether we're the real deal -and cynicism is it's default position; as such, our achievements are likely to be underplayed or patronised until we prove otherwise (which is fair enough - there is something surreal about our start).

As to suggestions that the media actively want us to fail -and have a vested interest in our failure; that's dribbling nonsense. The press will continue to write stories about the big clubs regardless what we do -and nothing sells more and allows a journo to differentiate himself professionally from his peers than crisis and scoop-heavy intrigue.

Edited by shurlock

Nonsense, most reports I have read have been very complimentary. If anything Saints being in the CL would be a bigger story for the press.

Don't understand this thread.

There have been so many threads here with links to positive pieces about saints, that I've actually stopped clicking on them now because I've got bored with all of the repetitive articles on how we're doing everything right and that we are the model for other clubs to follow. We've become very popular with neutral fans too, so there's far more interest in us than I can remember in many years.

As far as pundits go, there always seems to be at least one on the panel that thinks we have a great chance of making it into Europe.

You need to see someone about that paranoia.

I wouldn't imagine the media are that worried. The more likely scenario in my opinion is other clubs getting worried, after all there are only 4 places for Champions League (not that I think we'll get there). The other clubs see us buying and producing players, then selling them on for big profits to the likes of them, they would most likely want to cut the middle man out and save themselves a fortune. If they can release stories to a hungry press about taking our staff, be it players or backroom people they will do so as they will hope it destabilises us, placates their own fans and hopefully in the long term change their fortunes. Unfortunately these clubs have the ear of certain friendly journalists who will happily peddle the clubs ****e.

I'm not paranoid at all. And I think it'll take a long time for me to take the opinion of someone who mocked another forum user after they lost their child, thank you.

Certainly seems that way! And Erm I didn't mock anyone, I questioned whether it was an appropriate thing to bring up in a thread about something like crowd sizes. No mocking at all.

If this is the case then fine. I still think people like Neil Ashton, Martin Samuels etc will take more pleasure in Saints faltering this season than getting into the Champions League.

Taking pleasure is a bit different from a journalist losing out financially isn't it? Personally I think it's paranoid and a bit of a fantasy to suggest there are a group of journalists intentionally writing negative stories about saints in the hope it destabilised them and they miss out on the Champions League. I think that's nonsense.

Edited by hypochondriac

I don't know but certain media types seem extremely uncomfortable with our current success. Any large sport or business will always be influenced by the money and power of the main players, as is our economy by the banking heavy weights (despite all the current reassurances/prevaricating of banking and loan safeguards spouted in the news).

Why not let those detractors like Neil Ashton of the Daily Mail and the Sunday supplement on Sky hear your views. Neil seems to have an unhealthy obsession with Saints so I am sure he'd love to hear from you on Twitter or other outlets since he seems so keen to share his misguided opinion.

https://twitter.com/neilashton_

https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/neil-ashton/5b/275/a67

Or, contact the Neil or The Daily Mail itself:

Neil - n.ashton@dailymail.co.uk

Editorial

News and features - 020 7938 6000 / news@dailymail.co.uk

Send letters to the Editor at letters@dailymail.co.uk

The Daily Mail is a member of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO).

If you wish to report any concerns over accuracy, please email corrections@dailymail.co.uk.

To make a formal complaint under IPSO rules please go to http://www.dailymail.co.uk/readerseditor or write to Readers’ Editor, Daily Mail, Northcliffe House, 2 Derry Street, London W8 5TT.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/article-1227210/Contact-Us.html#ixzz3IrKKPpn5

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I think you're wrong to have this opinion.

Saints Do Well is the archetypal Man Bites Dog story. And it's better than that, because the longer it goes on, the more remarkable it becomes. And the endless angles! How? Why? Why not (Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool...) etc.? Is it a good thing? When will it end?

And the presence of Saints in the Champions League, if (IF!) it happens won't even diminish sales of media - because we can (for the time being) command this novelty value of NOT being one of the Big 4, and being a small provincial club actively hated by very few - we can attract the curious. And Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc will still be there, somewhere, generating stories.

It does mean the journalists will have to do some work, but that never hurt anyone.

...In your opinion.

Nah mate. Not my opinion.

You are claiming that journalists have a financial stake in what position a club comes in the league, or whether or not they make the Champions League. That just is not how it works.

You are then claiming that journalists are writing articles to make us perform less well, because it is in their own interest. Which just isn't true. Where even are these destabilising articles? Spurs are trying to recruit Mitchell? Heck, maybe they are indeed trying to sign him. That isn't an attempt to destabilise. Even if he doesn't go to Spurs, I'd think it's fairly certain that somebody somewhere will have passed that information onto the journalist. That could be for countless different reasons, but the chances of that being the journalist trying to destabilise the club to benefit themselves financially? Nah, not buying that.

Look at any Footy journalist on Twitter. Whatever they say or put out, there will be countless people clotting up their mentions saying how this journalist hates their club, has it in for them and will only be happy when they fail. It's nonsense.

I read all of Alps posts with interest and I'm with him on this one. On the way home last Saturday after the match (a 400 miles round trip) we tuned in to 606. Ninety per cent of the diatribe (couldn't call it a discussion) was about Liverpool. Two Saints fans called in and were 'tolerated'. Scousers taken seriously. Balanced journalism my arse!