Ched Evans

Batman

• 6 months later...
Ched wins his appeal and will face a new trial

Saw that. Not related to the Evans case particularly - but we should never have abandoned the principle of double jeopardy. It cant be right you can send someone for a new trial after they've been cleared by the appeal court.

Saw that. Not related to the Evans case particularly - but we should never have abandoned the principle of double jeopardy. It cant be right you can send someone for a new trial after they've been cleared by the appeal court.

Agree with that seems slightly bizarre but I suppose they want them to rule on this new evidence.

Referred for appeal so a real possibility the conviction could be quashed (according to the analyst on radio 2 anyway.) Big if but if it were to happen I wonder if people's opinions would change? Certainly some people in the media and some of the mentalists shouting 'rape apologist' will look a little silly. Just underlines the point that the jury system is certainly not infallible regardless of the verdict being quashed.

Shows up some the experts in the media and on here who were screaming rape apologist at those who looked at the details of this case and thought there was a reasonable chance that he didn't do it. Evidently the appeal judges agree.

He's not been 'cleared' by the appeal court. The conviction is quashed as new evidence may affect the verdict, so he's back to 'innocent until proven guilty' again.

He's not been 'cleared' by the appeal court. The conviction is quashed as new evidence may affect the verdict, so he's back to 'innocent until proven guilty' again.

Yep I see that now. When I posted there was only a very brief no details snippet on the BBC.

All depends on what the new evidence is.

A big piece of evidence is the fact that an independent hacker dug up deleted tweets from the alleged victim talking about 'when i win i win big' and how she'd 'buy her friend a pink mini' etc. etc.

Strikes me as the sort of thing that may or may not be considered as firm evidence in court and so could well be the 'new evidence' that's been brought to the fore? (that's pure speculation on my part - I'm no expert on the case and haven't followed it particularly closely).

Shows up some the experts in the media and on here who were screaming rape apologist at those who looked at the details of this case and thought there was a reasonable chance that he didn't do it. Evidently the appeal judges agree.

I've always thought on this one "beyond all reasonable doubt" I don't think so.....

All depends on what the new evidence is.

A big piece of evidence is the fact that an independent hacker dug up deleted tweets from the alleged victim talking about 'when i win i win big' and how she'd 'buy her friend a pink mini' etc. etc.

Strikes me as the sort of thing that may or may not be considered as firm evidence in court and so could well be the 'new evidence' that's been brought to the fore? (that's pure speculation on my part - I'm no expert on the case and haven't followed it particularly closely).

I am not sure that being sh@gged by two medium level footballers is winning big? Perhaps she thought she could sell her story and make some money, but given that she didn't go to the police and report the rape in the first place that would hardly seem to be the motive? Who knows, we shall just have to see what comes out in the retrial.

He was originally found guilty, remember? The appeal judges haven't said that there is a reasonable chance that he didn't do it. They have said that there is new evidence that needs to be considered. Not the same thing at all. Nice though that you support someone who has turned up, nailed a girl completely out of it and left. Classy.

He was originally found guilty, remember? The appeal judges haven't said that there is a reasonable chance that he didn't do it. They have said that there is new evidence that needs to be considered. Not the same thing at all. Nice though that you support someone who has turned up, nailed a girl completely out of it and left. Classy.

I don't support Ched Evans, I do think that there was more to this case then meets the eye and it appears that the appeal judges agree. According to you that opinion amounts to being a rape apologist[emoji38]

• 5 months later...
I don't support Ched Evans, I do think that there was more to this case then meets the eye and it appears that the appeal judges agree. According to you that opinion amounts to being a rape apologist[emoji38]

Well we'll well. So ched Evans is still an idiot and a creep for doing what he did but it seems that the hard of thinking like soggy will be eating a whole heap of humble pie tonight. Not that he will ever admit it.

Some people read up on the details of the case and came to the conclusion that there appeared to be some inconsistencies about this particular case. When this was pointed out they were accused of being rape apologists both on here and in the media.

If an appeal is now successful then hopefully those people will reflect on jumping on the bandwagon so soon and labelling people simply for questioning the judgement of the court (which everyone agrees is not infallible.)

*cough cough

there is a surprise.

innocent after all

Disgustingly, women's rights groups aren't happy with the appeals process and are suggesting he should not be allowed to appeal in the manner that he did. It appears that the judges agreed with the views of many that the conviction looked dodgy. Hopefully the bellend that is Ched Evans and other young men in similar situationswill think again before doing anything remotely like that in future.

So just reading a guardian article Evans defence lawyers were allowed to call the woman's previous sexual partners as witnesses something that is not normally allowed but the judge decided was ok in this case.....seems fair and opens up a whole new front in sexual assault cases I would have thought were any victim can have there past sexual encounters used as justification for an assault.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/14/footballer-ched-evans-cleared-of-in-retrial

During the appeal case that led to the retrial, lawyers for the crown suggested the two new witnesses may have been “fed” information by those close to Evans. This claim was rejected by Evans’s side.

Evans’s fiancee, Massey, was accused in legal argument during the second trial of offering an “inducement” to a key witness. The prosecution said this had “the flavour of a bribe”. The trial judge disagreed with this description.

The appeal court judges, whose decision can be reported for the first time, expressed “a considerable degree of hesitation” before allowing in the new evidence of the former partners because it resulted in the victim’s sexual behaviour being subject to forensic scrutiny – which is almost always banned.

The complainant continues to be named and abused on social media though the law gives her lifelong anonymity. The police are investigating one blog that identified her during the trial.

Disgustingly, women's rights groups aren't happy with the appeals process and are suggesting he should not be allowed to appeal in the manner that he did. It appears that the judges agreed with the views of many that the conviction looked dodgy. Hopefully the bellend that is Ched Evans and other young men in similar situationswill think again before doing anything remotely like that in future.

What, having consensual sex? Or just not getting the women to sign a contract giving consent before hand?

What, having consensual sex? Or just not getting the women to sign a contract giving consent before hand?

No. Putting himself in such a stupid compromising situation by cheating on his girlfriend after his mate has had a go on a woman without even talking to her before and afterwards, in full knowledge that his brother was outside trying to film it and then leaving by the fire escape. I can see why he was acquitted but it's still a comoletely ****tish thing to do.

Edited by hypochondriac

No. Putting himself in such a stupid compromising situation by cheating on his girlfriend after his mate has had a go on a woman without even talking to her before and afterwards, in full knowledge that his brother was outside trying to film it and then leaving by the fire escape. I can see why he was acquitted but it's still a comoletely ****tish thing to do.

Being a c*nt isn't illegal though, people should be taught not to act like that out of respect and decency, not because there's a chance you could get f*cked over and wrongly banged up.

Being a c*nt isn't illegal though, people should be taught not to act like that out of respect and decency, not because there's a chance you could get f*cked over and wrongly banged up.

They should be taught not to do that for both reasons. I know it's not illegal but if this sordid trial makes scumbags think twice before acting like tw*ts then at least some good will have come of it.

Hypo, while I fully agree that he's a c*nt and what he did was something I'd never do myself, I don't think enough has been made of the situation the woman put herself in. If you willingly get too drunk to retain consciousness, have consensual sex with a footballer you've only just met, then ask another footballer to give you oral sex before passing out, I'd suggest she must bear some responsibility as well. You have a duty of care to yourself. I'd also don't understand the concept of the psychological trauma caused by the event given that she said in court that she doesn't remember anything after asking him for oral sex as she was unconscious throughout.

Hypo, while I fully agree that he's a c*nt and what he did was something I'd never do myself, I don't think enough has been made of the situation the woman put herself in. If you willingly get too drunk to retain consciousness, have consensual sex with a footballer you've only just met, then ask another footballer to give you oral sex before passing out, I'd suggest she must bear some responsibility as well. You have a duty of care to yourself. I'd also don't understand the concept of the psychological trauma caused by the event given that she said in court that she doesn't remember anything after asking him for oral sex as she was unconscious throughout.

Oh of course and I quite agree with you. I just wasn't referring to her side of it in my answer.

DO you think Jessica Ennis Hill will be offering up an apology?

What for? He's not been proved innocent. Rather, and as per the cps statement , the jury couldn't be sure beyond reasonable doubt that there was sufficient evidence to prove his guilt. Hopefully we'll get the Scottish 'not proven' option one day.

According to the court, the 'victim' had sex in the days after this incident! I've never been raped but I highly doubt you'd be out on the pull in the days following! Regardless of how you feel about Evans, she deserves to face the rap in court herself.

What for? He's not been proved innocent. Rather, and as per the cps statement , the jury couldn't be sure beyond reasonable doubt that there was sufficient evidence to prove his guilt. Hopefully we'll get the Scottish 'not proven' option one day.

tbf it has always been one of those shades of grey trials. Most of the facts about what happened weren't in dispute. It all hinged around whether she was aware enough to give consent. The verdict doesnt fundamentally change what people thought of him before and think of him now.

According to the court, the 'victim' had sex in the days after this incident! I've never been raped but I highly doubt you'd be out on the pull in the days following! Regardless of how you feel about Evans, she deserves to face the rap in court herself.

Oh do fck off you ignorant cnt

tbf it has always been one of those shades of grey trials. Most of the facts about what happened weren't in dispute. It all hinged around whether she was aware enough to give consent. The verdict doesnt fundamentally change what people thought of him before and think of him now.

Pretty much this. It has always been a one persons word against another kind of deal based on weather she gave consent on that night or not. The first time the jury believed her the second time, after the judge allowed the unprecedented move or using her past sexual partners as witnesses for the defence, the jury believed Evans. I imagine you could have a re-trail with another set of jurors tomorrow and he could just as easily be found guilty again.

Shocking miscarriage of justice & the guy has been hounded by women's groups and others who should now be condemning an innocent man being locked up and his career ruined . I hope these people are condemning the bird that caused all this . He'd prob been in the Welsh squad at the euros if it wasn't for here lies .

Shocking miscarriage of justice & the guy has been hounded by women's groups and others who should now be condemning an innocent man being locked up and his career ruined . I hope these people are condemning the bird that caused all this . He'd prob been in the Welsh squad at the euros if it wasn't for here lies .

You struggle to say 'woman' don't you? I appreciate they probably scare you a wee bit.

Pretty much this. It has always been a one persons word against another kind of deal based on weather she gave consent on that night or not. The first time the jury believed her the second time, after the judge allowed the unprecedented move or using her past sexual partners as witnesses for the defence, the jury believed Evans. I imagine you could have a re-trail with another set of jurors tomorrow and he could just as easily be found guilty again.

The government should advise us all to video tape every dalliance so there will be no confusion when everyone wakes up.

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2016/10/14/10-myths-busted-about-the-ched-evans-case/

An excellent read taking on the social media nutcases from both sides of the debate.

Good link. As per my post, people think not guilty means proved innocent when it means nothing like that. Then there are people LGTL and Lord duckhunter who extend that to think that the aggrieved must have been lying and/or that there has been a miscarriage of justice. Harry was found not guilty, oj Simpson was too. I doubt any of us honestly felt that either had been stitched up.

As an aside, I once had a busy defence criminal law practice. Of the many clients who I secured acquittals for it's a real possibility that none were innocent, despite all being found not guilty.

Good link. As per my post, people think not guilty means proved innocent when it means nothing like that. Then there are people LGTL and Lord duckhunter who extend that to think that the aggrieved must have been lying and/or that there has been a miscarriage of justice. Harry was found not guilty, oj Simpson was too. I doubt any of us honestly felt that either had been stitched up.

As an aside, I once had a busy defence criminal law practice. Of the many clients who I secured acquittals for it's a real possibility that none were innocent, despite all being found not guilty.

And yet, in English law, a person is 'innocent' until proven guilty. Therefore, as I'm sure you are aware, the onus is to prove the guilt and not the innocence! Therefore, in English law, there is technically no way / need to prove innocence....

Reading up on this case... The girl never actually accused Ched Evans of rape, it was all down to the crown prosecution service who decided she was raped when she told them she could not remember events.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk