Rodriguez for man city

Batman

I will open the bidding at £25m, good luck, Gentlemen.

bet they start a lot lower than that

and he STILL has not signed a new contract....how long has that been now?

the trouble is, after the summer, saints fans will probably believe every transfer we do now will be a hit. that wont happen

As Mane (plus Mayuka) will miss a month from mid Jan we would be mad to sell Jay Rod given the opportunity we have.

In January we need to be covering for Mane's absence not weakening attacking options which are already quite light in number.

Would be crazy if we let him go then Pelle or Tadic got injured with no Mane around.

Keep him til the summer then sell if he refuses to sign a new deal.

Looking forward to seeing how he will fit into RK's formation, then make a judgement,

Me too. I think his style will fit RKs tactics better than Pochettino. And he's got a bloody fantastic attitude. Not just approach to this injury recuperation, but also the bravery he shows on the pitch.

according to the papers

then again, just made up rubbish, right?

I've got no idea if true or not, but is he Man City's quality? Are the newspaper articles suggesting a January sale? Are there that many teams that will be happy sinking big money in a player who has had so long off for such a serious injury? I guess he helps with the homegrown quota.

Might just as well cash in now, not sure exactly where he would fit into the new set set. Southampton have moved on light years since he last played for the first team. In addition he appears reluctant to sign the new five year contract that was offered. Hope he goes to Man City rather than that bunch of losers Tottenham.

Aaron Ramsey came back stronger,granted not the same injury but still was a career ending one.

Until he is fit and ready to play we would be foolish to even think about selling

Didn't Walcott also do his ACL?

Thing is, he was fairly effective last season because of his pace. If he has lost that then...

would be madness to sell him in january

we have a 17 goal a season striker here. we want european football

we will lose mane in the AFCON and no doubt suffer injuries etc

if he wants out, get him playing and scoring and get the most for him in the summer, IMO

according to the papers

then again, just made up rubbish, right?

What is your point? Just because this time it is Man City and not Tottenham it has more clout? What about the other dozens of transfer rumours? All going to happen? Have they made a bid? If not, worry about if and when they do.

What is your point? Just because this time it is Man City and not Tottenham it has more clout? What about the other dozens of transfer rumours? All going to happen? Have they made a bid? If not, worry about if and when they do.

my point is that this is a rumour about a saints player

or as this me being 'negative' again?

There are a couple of things which make me believe there is something genuine to this.

1st - He's not signed a new contract, no acknowledgement bar us offering a deal.

2nd - He isn't really spoken about, pretty much ignored in any team updates. JWP gets plenty of mentions though. Youtube updates, twitter match day interaction, twitter updates etc. It's all deadly silent on Jay as of late.

I have a feeling that he's made his intentions to the club clear, so to the highest bidder he goes....

There are a couple of things which make me believe there is something genuine to this.

1st - He's not signed a new contract, no acknowledgement bar us offering a deal.

2nd - He isn't really spoken about, pretty much ignored in any team updates. JWP gets plenty of mentions though. Youtube updates, twitter match day interaction, twitter updates etc. It's all deadly silent on Jay as of late.

I have a feeling that he's made his intentions to the club clear, so to the highest bidder he goes....

I have the same feeling. Still it's his choice and obviously not the clubs.

I can't see why City would be after J Rod, if they need a player they will be aiming much higher than that. He's had 3/4 of a good season and a bad injury, I can't see anyone forking out for him in January personally. More likely summer if he proves his fitness and regains some form.

That said, if someone did offer a big fee I'd take it and reinvest in another player without the fitness doubts.

I have the same feeling. Still it's his choice and obviously not the clubs.

I just don't understand it, no chance he gets game time at City. Tottenham would definitely play him and offer him more money I would wager as well as reunite him with Poch.

Tottenham would be a better move for him but surely another season with us would be beneficial anyway?

I just don't understand it, no chance he gets game time at City. Tottenham would definitely play him and offer him more money I would wager as well as reunite him with Poch.

Tottenham would be a better move for him but surely another season with us would be beneficial anyway?

Can't see that Spurs is a good move for anyone.

Can't see that Spurs is a good move for anyone.

Better than City in that he would get game time and to play under the manager that got the best of him. I am in no way suggesting that Spurs is a good move just that it makes far more sense than City from a development side at this stage in his career.

As Mane (plus Mayuka) will miss a month from mid Jan we would be mad to sell Jay Rod given the opportunity we have.

In January we need to be covering for Mane's absence not weakening attacking options which are already quite light in number.

Would be crazy if we let him go then Pelle or Tadic got injured with no Mane around.

Keep him til the summer then sell if he refuses to sign a new deal.

would be madness to sell him in january

we have a 17 goal a season striker here. we want european football

we will lose mane in the AFCON and no doubt suffer injuries etc

if he wants out, get him playing and scoring and get the most for him in the summer, IMO

You two do know that we can buy players as well as sell them in January right?

J-rod might not even be match fit after Christmas, nor come back the same player he was, so relaying on him to cover Afcon might not be the best idea. If we could sell him and bring in a decent match fit striker to slot straight in I'd have no problem with that at all.

You two do know that we can buy players as well as sell them in January right?

J-rod might not even be match fit after Christmas, nor come back the same player he was, so relaying on him to cover Afcon might not be the best idea. If we could sell him and bring in a decent match fit striker to slot straight in I'd have no problem with that at all.

January is a very tough time to bring in good players at sensible prices though.

Its probably because they have to have a certain amount of home grown or English players. Its why they signed Sinclair and Rodwell. They probably had no intention of ever playing them.

Plus, they've lost Barry, Lescott, so they need to really add more home grown players!And they sold Rodwell.

Only English players they have is Hart, Lamps and Milner I think...

Its probably because they have to have a certain amount of home grown or English players. Its why they signed Sinclair and Rodwell. They probably had no intention of ever playing them.

There are cheaper ways around it I'd have though. If you're signing English players just to make up the numbers then you might as well sign Jermaine Wright and Paul Wotton.

The destabilising impact if this story alone is probably going to be worth ten or eleven league points, a real hammer blow to our Champions League challenge.

So, money well spent by whichever club it is paying journalists to make up stories about us, which is definitely happening and no mistake.

The destabilising impact if this story alone is probably going to be worth ten or eleven league points, a real hammer blow to our Champions League challenge.

So, money well spent by whichever club it is paying journalists to make up stories about us, which is definitely happening and no mistake.

I got thinking this morning when doing a bit of leaf blowing.....how much is CL worth to a club, or rather how much will a club miss out on if we took a place? Surely at some stage in January (IF we are still in the mix) it will be worth going all out to take some of our players from us to try and destabilise us and ensure that we do not finish top 4.

I realise that we are only 11 games in to the season.......

I got thinking this morning when doing a bit of leaf blowing.....how much is CL worth to a club, or rather how much will a club miss out on if we took a place? Surely at some stage in January (IF we are still in the mix) it will be worth going all out to take some of our players from us to try and destabilise us and ensure that we do not finish top 4.

8 League games between now and January. 4 of them against Villa, Palace, Everton (home) and Burnley. The other 4 are more difficult on paper but even if we lost all 4 and Swansea in 5th won their corresponding 4 fixtures, we would only be 5 points behind them. Or we would be 4 points behind Arsenal if they won all 4 of their games.

Assuming we at least match Arsenal or Swansea's results in the other 4 winnable games, we are still going to be within striking distance of the top 4 come January. Maybe not in the top 4 but certainly in the mix.

Not impossible. A "double bubble" signing for some clubs - strengthening them, weakening us.

Clyne, J-Rod probably the likeliest candidates.

Not impossible. A "double bubble" signing for some clubs - strengthening them, weakening us.

Although we are in a position of strength so no need. Buying Rodriguez would just be a gamble for any manager and only Mourinho can afford not to cock up

In the case of JRod we are where we are without him, it wouldn't even hurt us :D

But seriously, I wouldn't want him to go. Always been a fan of his. Also, whilst it's not the be all and end all it's nice to have quality English players in the squad.

Although we are in a position of strength so no need. Buying Rodriguez would just be a gamble for any manager and only Mourinho can afford not to cock up

Completely. We would be a nightmare club to try and buy from in January, especially as any player Lovren-ing for a move out is going to look like a monumental c8nt.

We're probably safe. Just them journalists to worry about, really.

Excellent, a bidding war for a player that hasn't played for 6 months.

well....it's their money, if they buy him. I really like JayRod and think he drew the short straw after being signed and then played wide on the left by Adkins.

His good run of games in the Spring came when he was essentially playing up front - shame about the injury - but he looked class.

However, the £20 million question - IF he moves, (a Northern lad going back up North)...would he be able to get 100% fit and regain that sort of form at another club?

We need " another Pelle ", not because GP isn't good, but if we were without him for any length of time (as with JayRod)...we'd end up knac*ered without any cover for top striker.

....even though we've made it to 2nd in the table whilst he's been in rehab. the whole time.

In short, I hope Jay Rod stays - but if he goes..RK will doubtless conjure up another striker to replace him. My money would be on John Guidetti (presently on loan to Celtic from Citeh.

RK knows him from his loan period ar Feyernoord and surely doen't need convincing about the lad.

Edited by david in sweden

I don't think he'll be going anywhere in January, because according to the link below, "He’s had a minor setback with a bit of swelling on his knee so we’ve toned down his recovery programme but he’s on target for a return in late January or early February." (Quoting Les Reed).

http://footballfriends.biz/writersblog/single/how-the-saints-landed-ronald-koeman-and-how-their-number-one-fan-loves-life-near-the-top

I don't think he'll be going anywhere in January, because according to the link below, "He’s had a minor setback with a bit of swelling on his knee so we’ve toned down his recovery programme but he’s on target for a return in late January or early February." (Quoting Les Reed).

http://footballfriends.biz/writersblog/single/how-the-saints-landed-ronald-koeman-and-how-their-number-one-fan-loves-life-near-the-top

No surprise we're not putting him.on display before the window.