MLT: The last golden boy of a golden era

vince

A good read - except for one bit:-

"Without doubt he would flounder in today's game..."

Imagine him in Saints current line up - he would still shine!!

A good article but IMO he has got that very wrong.

He'd be brilliant these days - he'd be fitter because he'd be doing the regimes that the squad do now.

It's always silly to transplant footballers from one era into another. Just different worlds.

Nice read, thanks for the link OP.

Maybe controversial to post here... I don't think MLT would make it in today's Premier League. It's difficult to say that about my hero. His talent is unquestionable. You could say he'd have better coaching but he wouldn't have the mindset I feel. He hated running and enjoyed his food too much. Not sure the coaches and managers of today would have the patients with him. These days you need to be athletic first, talented 2nd.

Maybe he would get his head down as the game would demand it. But I'm not sure...

Maybe controversial to post here... I don't think MLT would make it in today's Premier League. It's difficult to say that about my hero. His talent is unquestionable. You could say he'd have better coaching but he wouldn't have the mindset I feel. He hated running and enjoyed his food too much. Not sure the coaches and managers of today would have the patients with him. These days you need to be athletic first, talented 2nd.

Maybe he would get his head down as the game would demand it. But I'm not sure...

Yes he would don't be daft. When Bally was here he worked hard. He would have knuckled down.

So in summary people think this is a great article, but that the fundamental conclusion is wrong and that people who agree with that fundamental conclusion are daft.

Hmm, thats good.

The bit I particularly liked reminded me of the days before the smoking ban in stadiums:

"but his majestic control and ball skill soon endeared him to the fans that lit up when he warmed up down the touchline."

Maybe this is why Le God was not as fit as he could have been, inhaling all of the secondary smoke from the fans at The Dell when he was warming up.

Yes he would don't be daft. When Bally was here he worked hard. He would have knuckled down.

Just my opinion.

He's not a natural athlete and was slow, not many managers would have given him that luxury these days. He by he's own admission led an unhealthy lifestyle (food-wise) for a footballer. Like I said, maybe he'd knuckle down because today's game demanded it.

A good read - except for one bit:-

"Without doubt he would flounder in today's game..."

Imagine him in Saints current line up - he would still shine!

A good article but IMO he has got that very wrong.

......I think so, too - (if he were still 30), but on his own admission..... Matt was never interested in training...unless it was with a ball. His real value came - when he did have it.

The lack of more international games is likely down to;

(1)...his dislike of " hard work in training ",..and

(2) his (reputed) refusal to sign for both Venables and Hoddle when they were club managers - and who later managed England when he was at his peak. Hoddle could have used his penalty-taking skills in WC 1998.

Loads of his goals have been downloaded on You Tube, and it's a good education for younger fans (who never saw him play) to be able to look back, and see what it is that we all (still) rave about.

Edited by david in sweden