Saints prepare new contract for Nathaniel Clyne

Saint-Armstrong

No need worrying about it. We just have another fire sale at overinflated prices on an annual basis and leave it to Les and Ron to sign up new players at a third of the price.

That won't work forever and besides, the club said that wouldn't be happening again. I do hope we get some of these players signed up though because otherwise we are going to lose a number of the key ones next summer.

Wish these contracts were thrashed out in private. Has anyone of our big names signed a new contract since the new regime came in? Steven Davies yes but not really a big name.

You've made it a bigger name than his actual name. :p

What is your definition of one of our "big names"? Because Davis is a regular starter and important player for the team currently 2nd in the Premier League, I'd say that was a very good signing by the new board.

You've made it a bigger name than his actual name. :p

What is your definition of one of our "big names"? Because Davis is a regular starter and important player for the team currently 2nd in the Premier League, I'd say that was a very good signing by the new board.

Also, Fonte.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see a repeat of last summer with players leaving. As long as we keep pushing in and around the top 7 or 8 while signing and developing good players our players will keep catching the eye of the big boys. If we want our players to stay we need sign dross like Stoke and Sunderland and finish lower mid table then no one will be interested.

Would be a massive statement for a sought after player to re-sign with us (like Bony did yesterday at Swansea).

Madness if its the first new offer we have made to Clyne since he signed but would be great to get him secured.

Jeremy Wilson is a good Saints source, but is a little odd that the same report is in another few papers, club leak to show fans they are trying, or to put pressure on Clyne like we tried with Jay Rod?

Wouldn't be surprised if we see a repeat of last summer with players leaving. As long as we keep pushing in and around the top 7 or 8 while signing and developing good players our players will keep catching the eye of the big boys. If we want our players to stay we need sign dross like Stoke and Sunderland and finish lower mid table then no one will be interested.

Or play almost a perfect season and somehow get 4th. Agree any less than that and at least 3 will leave again in the summer, but not much you can do if they have good offers.

Fonte and Davis wouldn't get the fees or the deals the likes of Clyne could get. It would be great to get someone like him to sign up again. At most however, it would probably only guarantee another season.

The only thing it would guarantee is a higher transfer fee. Contracts are otherwise worthless for the club.

Edited by VectisSaint

Or play almost a perfect season and somehow get 4th. Agree any less than that and at least 3 will leave again in the summer, but not much you can do if they have good offers.

I don't think even getting in the top 4 will change anything unless we did it on a regular basis and improved the clubs ability to make money so we could compete in FFP stakes. These days contracts aren't even about getting a player to stay but more about being able to command a better transfer fee when they go.

Stopped Morgan walking out

Probably only for one more season though. I'm glad we kept Morgan as he is a great player but the flip side is players who think they can go else where won't want to sign contract extensions, giving the club greater power, and risk having their move blocked by the club the way Morgan did. I do wonder if that is why J-rod won't sign the newly offered contract

Echo sources say talks not opened which if true, is slightly bizarre.

Although wouldnt suprise me if his agent has already told us he intends to see out his deal and move at the end of his contract, afterall that is how he joined us and it gives us the choice to either sell in the summer or keep another season and then lose on a free.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11614350.Liverpool_interested_in_yet_another_Saints_player/?ref=twt

Wish these contracts were thrashed out in private. Has anyone of our big names signed a new contract since the new regime came in? Steven Davies yes but not really a big name.

Who is Steven Davies?

if you mean Steven Davis, then yes, he is a big name and a very, very important player for us. He's one of the first names on our teamshet. Why people constantly undermine him/look to replace him in their teams is beyond me. Weird.

Who is Steven Davies?

if you mean Steven Davis, then yes, he is a big name and a very, very important player for us. He's one of the first names on our teamshet. Why people constantly undermine him/look to replace him in their teams is beyond me. Weird.

Is Davis was to be sold he would not command anywhere near the fee that the likes of Lallana, wanyama, Shaw, Clyne, pelle, Tadic etc. Why you think that is undermining him is just weird. It's stating a fact.

Who is Steven Davies?

Yeah, exactly.

'Only' Steven Davis and José Fonte... the vice-captain and captain of the club. No one important.

Davis is a valuable squad member for us as a club but if anyone thinks the level of interest in him from other clubs would be anywhere near as much as it is for Clyne they are mad.

And who was Fonte linked with before he signed his contract? Cardiff was it? Wow.

It doesn't make sense for Clyne or Rodriguez to sign a new deal with Saints at the moment - they both have interest from bigger clubs and hold all the cards. At best I think we sign them to new deals where there are some release clauses, but that is just a guess. It would be great news to sign either of them to a new deal but they'd need a pretty compelling reason to stay in the face of bigger clubs being interested and, presumably, offering far more wages.

Davis is a valuable squad member for us as a club but if anyone thinks the level of interest in him from other clubs would be anywhere near as much as it is for Clyne they are mad.

And who was Fonte linked with before he signed his contract? Cardiff was it? Wow.

It doesn't make sense for Clyne or Rodriguez to sign a new deal with Saints at the moment - they both have interest from bigger clubs and hold all the cards. At best I think we sign them to new deals where there are some release clauses, but that is just a guess. It would be great news to sign either of them to a new deal but they'd need a pretty compelling reason to stay in the face of bigger clubs being interested and, presumably, offering far more wages.

If it was known that both Davis and Fonte weren't staying, they would have left for sure. and not to Cardiff. What are you suggesting, that he's not that good and only Cardiff wanted him?

No, the fact is that Cardiff were the only ones stupid enough to try as it was pretty obvious he didn't want to leave and we didn't want to sell - same with Davis.

If it was known that both Davis and Fonte weren't staying, they would have left for sure. and not to Cardiff. What are you suggesting, that he's not that good and only Cardiff wanted him?

No, the fact is that Cardiff were the only ones stupid enough to try as it was pretty obvious he didn't want to leave and we didn't want to sell - same with Davis.

I am suggesting that signing Clyne to a new contract in the face of reported interest from Liverpool and Man Utd, and signing Rodriguez to a new contract in the face of reported interest from Spurs and Liverpool is a far bigger deal and far more challenging than signing Steven Davis and Jose Fonte to new deals.

Davis and Fonte are both great players for us but they clearly do not garner the same level and calibre of interest from other clubs as Clyne and Rodriguez, and that using the fact they signed new deals as reference points for Clyne and Rodriguez is way off the mark.

Re Clyne we could lose him on a free so for our model to work, getting a transfer fee is essential.

In 18 months yes, or we could lose him for a fee in 6 months, or we could lose him for a bigger fee if we offer him a new contract. However in all three scenarios the one thing that is common is that we lose Clyne. Having an extended contract has bugger all effect on whether a player goes or not, the evidence of last summer is clear for all to see.

The only thing it would guarantee is a higher transfer fee. Contracts are otherwise worthless for the club.

This

Lets sign him on a 5 year deal - Clyne gets to develop himself for 12 more months with an early pay rise and we get to sell him for 30m + in 18 months time - win win all round.

I am suggesting that signing Clyne to a new contract in the face of reported interest from Liverpool and Man Utd, and signing Rodriguez to a new contract in the face of reported interest from Spurs and Liverpool is a far bigger deal and far more challenging than signing Steven Davis and Jose Fonte to new deals.

Davis and Fonte are both great players for us but they clearly do not garner the same level and calibre of interest from other clubs as Clyne and Rodriguez, and that using the fact they signed new deals as reference points for Clyne and Rodriguez is way off the mark.

Indeed well said. Not that difficult a concept.

Depends who we replace him with.

chambers would have been the natural replacement for clyne, but yes agreed hope what's happened to the others that left is enough to put clyne off leaving, we are the right club for him!

If we are talking pathways into the first team then Flannigan has no chance of getting in our central midfield with Cork, JWP and Reed all ahead of him. We are reasonably light at RB amongst the nippers, I noticed Niall Mason was tried there recently.