Saints on ITV?

trousers

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/20/itv-bbc-bid-premier-league-rights

"ITV preparing bid to win Premier League highlights contract from BBC"

There's gotta be something the nation can do to prevent such a travesty?!

That said, we'll be on ITV in the Champions League next season regardless....

:)

Edited by trousers

God NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

when they had coverage before it was 5mins action, 5 minutes talk 5 mins adverts

it was rubbish

at least with SKy plus you could wiz through the adverts but the actual game coverage will be far less than the excellent BBc coverage we get now to accomodate all the adverts, otherwise it would be a 2 hour show to be comparable with Beeb

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/20/itv-bbc-bid-premier-league-rights

"ITV preparing bid to win Premier League highlights contract from BBC"

There's gotta be something the nation can do to prevent such a travesty?!

That said, we'll be on ITV in the Champions League next season regardless....

:)

CL is solely on BT Sport in the UK from next season.

I think there should be a campaing to stop ITV broadcasting anything football wise. I have NEVER met a Football fan that likes ITV coverage, in fact most hate it with a passion. The pundits are sh!te, especially Adrian and the commentary is god awful..

I think there should be a campaing to stop ITV broadcasting anything football wise. I have NEVER met a Football fan that likes ITV coverage, in fact most hate it with a passion. The pundits are sh!te, especially Adrian and the commentary is god awful..

They did have the 66 World Cup final in colour. Since then, not so good.

I actually quite like ITV's football coverage.

Nah just kidding. It's sh*te. Even the mute button doesn't seem to silence Adrian Chiles. Just watching his lips move is enough to fill my head with his dull, inane Brumminess. It's tragic that Sky can provide such excellent analysis with the likes of Red Nev, Carra and the Soccer Saturday team whilst the best ITV can put forward is Chiles talking about "Claus van Huntelaar".

Sadly I'm old enough to remember when they had top flight highlights before. It was horrific.

Yes they thought they'd revolutionise football coverage, at 7pm as prime time family viewing. F'kin dreadful.

Not sure if it was at their first attempt they introduced the awful "Its a beautiful game.." theme tune as well. They certainly seemed to be trying to take the football out of footbll coverage as best they could. Overlooked the critical fact that much of the viewing public wanted football as post-pub viewing in those days. *

* yes, for theb younger readers, it was 11pm closing in pubs on a Saturday back then.

Yet more good news for Sky

Even more reason for either watching the full rerun of their match of the day or at 10pm watching the extended highlights of Saints match.

I always do that if its a Saturday match and then watch Sundays MOTD2, rather than a few seconds of Saints match and endless punditry.

Any excitement you garner in the build-up is dissipated by constant advert breaks. 3 minutes build-up, 5 mins of ads, 3 mins of build-up, 5 mins of ads, 1st half, more adverts, 2 mins of analysis, ad break, 2nd half, ad break, 2 mins analysis, end of transmission.

When they cover games now, I join them 20 mins late already, then I can fast forward all the ad breaks!

And yeah, Chiles and co are depressing.

???

Colour TV was much later, or am I missing something?

Aye, it was black and white at the time, first colour TV broadcasts in the UK were in 1967.

Colour film did exist though, which has been used by ITV for highlights packages since then.

There's some of it here

He might be getting confused with the Official Film, "Goal" which was in colour and was the first time I saw the goals. Gaumont. 19 November, 1966, after being locked out of the ManU home match.

I remember seeing that too. My wonderful wife (girlfriend at the time) was sensible enough to sit through it with me. The first football on TV in colour that I remember was the 1970 World Cup.

(For those youngsters amongst us, colour TV can in with BBC2 and the 625 line UHF system)

And yes, I agree totally that ITV are crap at football. That famous missed goal should have been enough to ban them from ever getting anywhere near it ever again.

Incredible if they did, ITV have NEVER been good at live sport and their last run of PL highlights was fookin terrible however no chance the PL/broadcasters will take any notice - michael owen is still on bt sport despite the abuse he/they get every time he opens his dull mouth.

I particularly remember elton welsby from their 80s coverage - truly awful.

• 2 months later...