The new "PC gone mad"?

norwaysaint

We seem to hear loads about left wing types getting a bit precious and easily offended by possibly harmless things, but this one seems to be the other way:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30139832

A picture of a house with no comment added at all and she's lambasted and pushed into resignation?

UKIP said she had "sneered, and looked down her nose at a white van in Strood with the cross of St George on it".

Has she? Where was that then? All that from the words:

Image from Rochester.

Why isn't this "PC gone mad"? You can't post a photo of a house without it offending someone? Are UKIP and their followers now turning into the over sensitive PC brigade?

I searched three times for the offensive words because I kept just seeing a picture of a house and "an image from" and assumed I'd missed something. Couldn't believe that was what all the fuss was about. I grew up in Weston, doesn't stop me being snobby about the the fact the current residents have put wagon wheels all over it (fake wagon wheels on a council estate house ffs!)

As soon as I saw the picture I knew what it meant. The timing wasn't brilliant either.
That's why she had to resign - the senior Labour hierarchy would have looked at that and realised what a ridiculous own goal it was - she was trying to take the p**s out of the community they are asking for votes from. Not a bright move to say the least.

I searched three times for the offensive words because I kept just seeing a picture of a house and "an image from" and assumed I'd missed something. Couldn't believe that was what all the fuss was about. I grew up in Weston, doesn't stop me being snobby about the the fact the current residents have put wagon wheels all over it (fake wagon wheels on a council estate house ffs!)

Remember when wagon wheels used to be massive?

Can't stand the fake ones either, the marshmallow is all wrong.

Forcing a MP to resign from the Shadow Cabinet over a issue as trivial as this is a gross overreaction to my way of thinking, but a illustration of just how fearful of a media 'feeding frenzy' the party leaders have become now in this pre election period.

I don't know much about this particular MP or how far she might have gone in politics, but our politicians will (like everyone else) make mistakes and if we end careers for a judgement error as minor as this one then we risk needlessly losing talent that might possibly have gone on to achieve something worthwhile one day.

The only way to avoid saying or doing the wrong thing every now and again is to neither say nor do anything. Are a generation of 'do nothing/say nothing' leaders what this country really needs?

Forcing a MP to resign from the Shadow Cabinet over a issue as trivial as this is a gross overreaction to my way of thinking, but a illustration of just how fearful of a media 'feeding frenzy' the party leaders have become now in this pre election period.

I don't know much about this particular MP or how far she might have gone in politics, but our politicians will (like everyone else) make mistakes and if we end careers for a judgement error as minor as this one then we risk needlessly losing talent that might possibly have gone on to achieve something worthwhile one day.

The only way to avoid saying or doing the wrong thing every now and again is to neither say nor do anything. Are a generation of 'do nothing/say nothing' leaders what this country really needs?

Surely putting a picture of a voters house, without their permission and seemingly in a sneering manner is a spectacular lack of judgement. Can you imagine the uproar Labour would have made if a Tory cabinet member did this. What made this so toxic for Milliband is that it plays into the narrative that they are London elite that doesn't understand the working people.

Surely putting a picture of a voters house, without their permission and seemingly in a sneering manner is a spectacular lack of judgement. Can you imagine the uproar Labour would have made if a Tory cabinet member did this. What made this so toxic for Milliband is that it plays into the narrative that they are London elite that doesn't understand the working people.

It's a picture mate, nobody died.

Look at the mistakes Churchill made in his career before he became Prime Minister in 1940 - including the Gallipoli disaster - and ask yourself whether WC would have survived to become the one of the greatest leaders this country has ever seen were he a 21st century politician.

Not that I'm saying that this MP is a politician of his substance you understand ...

It's a picture mate, nobody died.

Look at the mistakes Churchill made in his career before he became Prime Minister in 1940 - including the Gallipoli disaster - and ask yourself whether WC would have survived to become the one of the greatest leaders this country has ever seen were he a 21st century politician.

Not that I'm saying that this MP is a politician of his substance you understand ...

Yes but this is a time in which most people believe that politicians are; Only thinking of themselves, eliteist Idiots who are out of touch with the people.

So its a bit short sighted to basically prove it on social media

Only if you think that the only way to do something or say something these days is to use twitter or facebook.

Surely putting a picture of a voters house, without their permission and seemingly in a sneering manner is a spectacular lack of judgement.

They don't teach judgement when you're studying for your honours degree in political science at your local tech college.

Although she didn't say anything there was an inference in the picture about "white van man" and nationalism.

Exactly right. Good to see you agree with the original post. As you rightly point out , there was an inference, which as you know is on the part of the receiver. As opposed to implication, which would have been on the part of Thornberry.

Exactly right. Good to see you agree with the original post. As you rightly point out , there was an inference, which as you know is on the part of the receiver. As opposed to implication, which would have been on the part of Thornberry.

Oh come on, it's blatantly obvious what she implied by tweeting that picture. Are you 12 years old or something?

The fat c*nt had no choice but to resign.

Clear case of PC gone mad. Can't say anything without risking offending someone, etc.

Clear case of you utterly failing to grasp the basics of this story. You've done a cracking job of demonstrating your feeble understanding a few times on this thread.

We get it. You don't get it. Give up now.