Post-Match Reaction: Aston Villa 1-1 SAINTS

Plastic

MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2014/15)  

309 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2014/15)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Clyne
    • Alderweireld
    • Fonte
    • Schneiderlin
    • Wanyama
    • Mane
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Pelle
    • Mayuka
    • Cork

Meh. Can't win them all. Frustrating, given Villa's poor form of late, but their game plan worked. They defended in great numbers, crowded out Pelle every time the ball got played up to him, and got lucky on the break with a poor defensive error, which have thankfully been very rare this season.

Was always going to be a tricky game against a side who were obviously going to be fighting hard. I'm just thankful that we came through it unbeaten and with no new injury concerns. We badly missed S Davis in the middle tonight.

We will be. Rocket up their arses in training this week, plus we're still underdogs against Man City - it never suits us being compelling favourites. Worst strike force vs best defence as a case in point ... it was inevitable.

Well, city will not sit with the whole team behind the ball for 70 mins

That was the biggest pile of **** I've seen for a while. Villa are woeful, a really bad team, a depleted one low on confidence...and we get a draw with what...65% possession?

should be winning that game, no excuses.

I can pre empt all the...point away from home, happy with that boll ox...but really we were poor today. Our final 3rd play is very wasteful time and again and has been frequently this season. There have been games where we've pulled through and got the win after banging the door 150 a game.. But today wasn't one of those.

Koeman' poor selection and game plan lost it for us tonight. I can't face listening to his feeble excuses. Why oh why leave Cork on the bench till the 89th minutes? Pelle and Tadic have been found out. Long was found out ages ago Gutted, when we should have won.

We were awful. But got a deserved point. Very sloppy and slow on the ball. Poor final passes and a bit predictable

Still, battled for a point. We were due a draw I guess

We need to be miles better on Sunday. F'sure

Oh behave Jamie, we weren't awful, we weren't great but we were still far better than Villa who defended very well and caught us on the break, their goal was an error, they played like the away side. Our final ball was poor at times and it was too slow getting forward but we were far from awful you lemon.

Koeman' poor selection and game plan lost it for us tonight. I can't face listening to his feeble excuses. Why oh why leave Cork on the bench till the 89th minutes? Pelle and Tadic have been found out. Long was found out ages ago Gutted, when we should have won.

He went for it, but it didn't quite work. Not sure you can have a go at him for going for it.

And, tell me oh wise one, what would Cork have provided us when we were chasing the game?

Cheers.

2 points dropped. Villa really aren't up to much and we should have figured a way to get the win TBH. Let's hope they've got the lethargy out of their system.

Bigger picture though is 2 points clear on 2nd place and a very tasty set of fixtures to come.

Citeh on Sunday - bring it on.

sign of a good team....not playing at their best yet still get a point away from home against a team that is the most boring side I have ever had the misfortune to watch. How Villa fans can stomach that week in week out I do not know.

We are not going to win every game but the run keeps going. The NBC panel were impressed with Saints: not because they played well but the fact they stuck at it and got the point. This is a game we would have lost in years gone by.

City won't come and shut up shop so should be a more open, entertaining affair.

Villa seem to be our new bogie team. Toby was great, Bertrand great, Clyne good, Vic was ok but the rest were below average tonight though I thought. MOM Bertrand for me for Saints. Pelle did not seem interested tonight, Forster shaky.

I can't go on MOTM as Bertrand, based on his first half performance. Clyne for me.

Villa seem to be our new bogie team. Toby was great, Bertrand great, Clyne good, Vic was ok but the rest were below average tonight though I thought. MOM Bertrand for me for Saints. Pelle did not seem interested tonight, Forster shaky.

Agreed. The moment Villa got the goal it was always going to be difficult. To get a draw was a bloody good result !

Oh behave Jamie, we weren't awful, we weren't great but we were still far better than Villa who defended very well and caught us on the break, their goal was an error, they played like the away side. Our final ball was poor at times and it was too slow getting forward but we were far from awful you lemon.

Just my opinion Richard, we struggled to break down a shyte team with half of their shyte defence out

Point gained looking back

We are miles better than that

With hindsight I think we should have maintained the structure and shape that has worked so well for us - putting Cork in for Davis and keeping either Long or Mané on the bench. It was almost as though we had too much width today.

Mané didn't get much out of (Goatboy's) Hutton but I think the commentators made a good point - sometimes we should leave the wide man to take on the full back in space, rather than close that space up with another overlap.

He's a decent enough keeper I'm still not convinced by Forster.

:mcinnes:

Hope Fraser Forster is called in for a stern interview Dave Watson at the earliest opportunity. Words of advice needed.

Probably just me, but did I detect a Villa bias in the Sky commentary and noticed that it was Villa players called in for the first post-match interviews.

Hope Fraser Forster is called in for a stern interview Dave Watson at the earliest opportunity. Words of advice needed.

Probably just me, but did I detect a Villa bias in the Sky commentary and noticed that it was Villa players called in for the first post-match interviews.

Probably because they gained a very unlikely point.

Yeah I did, the way they kept reminding everyone how much confidence they'll take from a point against southampton sealed it for me.

Frustrating game. Forster very shaky. Pelle was as quiet as I've seen him. Quality of delivery very poor from set pieces and in general play. Build up play from midfield was often too slow and would have been nice to see Cork given more than a few minutes. But we remained patient and scored another stunner in a game we probably would have lost last season. Hope Davis gets fit for City game as we really missed his guile tonight.

So bloody wound up I need to do some deep-breathing exercises...and reeelaaax.

That's how I feel. 90 minutes of frustration. Absolutely nothing went for Pelle. Long and Tadic did absolutely nothing. What was our game plan? Long does my head in. There is so much more in there if he just forced things a bit. Grrrrrrrr...calm down chez.