CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

So are we going to reinvest the money from Wanyama and Mane or are we going to continue to bring in rough diamonds with the intent to sell in a few years time.

Why do we continue to sell our best players? Is this progress? We have been lucky up to now rebuilding the team but eventually it will bite us on the arse replacing steak with mincemeat.

I just think we have no ambition and the glass ceiling has been hit imagine the team we would have if we kept Morgan, mane, etc.....

So are we going to reinvest the money from Wanyama and Mane or are we going to continue to bring in rough diamonds with the intent to sell in a few years time.

Why do we continue to sell our best players? Is this progress? We have been lucky up to now rebuilding the team but eventually it will bite us on the arse replacing steak with mincemeat.

I just think we have no ambition and the glass ceiling has been hit imagine the team we would have if we kept Morgan, mane, etc.....

1) How do you keep players who want to leave ? There are very few MLT's around, and all players are mercenaries.

2) SFC is a business, that has proved to be very successful at maximising it's gains from want-away assets.

Edited by badgerx16

Spot on eddie, spent some of this afternoon putting forward similar arguments to a friend who at one point asked "what the point of supporting Saints" was. I think we're all aware that a few duff transfers could dent the success of the business model, but seven years of continual improvement must be amongst the best (tempted to say unparalleled) across Europe. For all the frustration and disappointment of losing players that we have grown to naively love over time, in the cold light of day it would be mad to abandon a model that has served us so well in recent times.

We'd be Liverpool.

The way to keep players? Offer them some better incentives i.e decent wages and not peanuts..... Also stop being pushovers to the so called bigger clubs. What kind of message does this send out to the rest of the squad each yet? They probably think well we might aswel leave whats the point in staying.... No ambition

The way to keep players? Offer them some better incentives i.e decent wages and not peanuts..... Also stop being pushovers to the so called bigger clubs. What kind of message does this send out to the rest of the squad each yet? They probably think well we might aswel leave whats the point in staying.... No ambition

Clever stuff this. Someone let Les Reed know

My days. You lot.

Thirty four million pounds for a player who, albeit being very creative (though not the most assists for us, that guy is still here by the way) wanted to leave?

That's an astonishing amount of money. To say the money is a terrible reason to sell, and that it demonstrates that the club is just about 'profit not fans' these days, is incredible

We were in administration in 2009 for goodness sake. That feels like yesterday.

To sell a player like that, for an enormous profit, who seemed never that happy to settle with us, for me does not imply a) we have no ambition as a club or that b) the footballing results still aren't central to what we do

I want to know what you suggested after Shaw went to UTd? That we had lost all ambition, and of the sale of a young player who we could have kept? But we now have Bertrand for a third of the price - is it a lack of ambition? Did we forsake the football for the sake of money? Shaw was one of the standout performers of the season before he left.

It's astonishing that people seem to have no trust whatsoever that the club is capable of recruiting someone to replace him. And even if we only recruit Redmond like for like, and bring in another defensive midfielder, and we finish 10th, or 12th...we're southampton for pete's sake.

The fact that people are abhorred by the fact we aren't focusing on pushing on to champions league either demonstrates that they have become saints fans in the last two years, or that they have been so jaded by the success of the last 2-3 years that their expectations are wildly out of kilter.

What a great few years we've had after a fairly rocky period since moving to st marys. The club has demonstrated that players with big egos and a desire to play elsewhere, and who can fetch a tidy profit, shouldn't play for saints. And that they should be consistently replaced by hungry, young players. Some of whom turn out tobe utter stars who don't just maintain a midtable finish, but can help us push on and finish even higher. What a great motto to have.

Yawn.

Apparently people can't question the unnecessary sale of one our best players without upsetting the zealots.

You mean, like to van Dijk, or Forster, for example?

You can count on one hand the teams that can keep all their players.

We might have lost Wanyama and Mané, but we've also improved on the quality of players we've been able to keep hold of.

We've also kept hold of Wanyama, Schneiderlin and Mané a season longer than we once would have, which has given us two seasons of qualifying for Europe. That'll let us attract better replacements for those players.

We won't carry on improving season on season forever, but we definitely have the structures in place for the Club to improve over time.

Edited by Jimmy_D

I suggest you read this..

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/southampton-are-an-example-of-how-to-protect-progress

It was inevitable but I'm still a bit gutted that Sadio has moved on. For me he was the first Maverick since MLT that could play gash all game yet produce a moment of magic to get us something from the match.

With all that being said though I can't wish him or the bin dippers well, so here's hoping it all goes tits up.

well! well! that's say's a lot.... now ya know why koeman left for everton small time feeder club!! I would take back what you said about koeman going for money you had no ambition :@)

Now we can perhaps appreciate how good Mane is. Everton fans seem to be worrying already.

Did I just read that he's only scored 21 goals for us? Six of them were in hattricks. and there was a brace in there too! I swear I thought he'd scored more goals for us. That shows his inconsistency, he can be a sublime footballer on his day, but he can also disappear in games. If he was as influential as I'd thought, he's have done more to stop the losing rot we had in the winter. He's not the goal machine the RAWK lot think he is, though I guess he can improve.

£34 million+ is a good deal for us - and a risky deal for Liverpool. I liked Mane, I think his ball control is very good, and he has good pace, but he's far from the finished article. We'll see if the scousers can finish him off. :-)

This loss hurts more than Wanyama's, but as long as Mane's replaced well, and I'm sure we're looking to bring in decent players, it will definitely feel like £34 million well brought in.

Did I just read that he's only scored 21 goals for us? Six of them were in hattricks. and there was a brace in there too! I swear I thought he'd scored more goals for us. That shows his inconsistency, he can be a sublime footballer on his day, but he can also disappear in games. If he was as influential as I'd thought, he's have done more to stop the losing rot we had in the winter. He's not the goal machine the RAWK lot think he is, though I guess he can improve.

£34 million+ is a good deal for us - and a risky deal for Liverpool. I liked Mane, I think his ball control is very good, and he has good pace, but he's far from the finished article. We'll see if the scousers can finish him off. :-)

This loss hurts more than Wanyama's, but as long as Mane's replaced well, and I'm sure we're looking to bring in decent players, it will definitely feel like £34 million well brought in.

21 league goals I think 10 last season 11 this season.

A couple of posters I read on there said, to paraphrase, he would be better with the higher calibre players at Liverpool....

N

It's not him going that irks me it's that's it to Liverpool. I suppose it's a big wedge of their money is gone but even if we drop down the league I was hoping we could at least compete with them?

Let's see who comes in, it's a great opportunity to continue to build a stronger squad, which is what we have done with Liverpools money previously!

Is it £34m plus ?

Scally in chief Jamie Carragher said it was £30m and he should know ..............

The Liverpool Echo are making quite a deal out of it being 30 and that he is the third highest signing...it's as though 1) they are embarrassed by the sum and 2) they are distancing this deal from the Carroll and Benteke debacles! Lol

1) How do you keep players who want to leave ? There are very few MLT's around, and all players are mercenaries.

i don't know, but Puel was a one club player like Le Tiss, so perhaps he will be setting a good example

Here's hoping he has a lovely inconsistent season at Liverpool where he is ****e for 90% of it and loses confidence due to his price tag and results in the club and players on his back. :D

You are doubly sad, because this is unlikely

and churlish because you and the rest of us have all benefitted from his two years here.

Yawn.

Apparently people can't question the unnecessary sale of one our best players without upsetting the zealots.

haha.What on earth are you advocating for then? That we force them to stay? Stick them on the bench to teach them a lesson, maybe?

You're being delightfuly optimistic about the state of footballers these days.

I guarantee that the people who are most outraged at this sale, would be the people most vocal in the case that he did stay about what an awful 'waste' and a ridiculous decision to keep mane on te bench, or any other tactic to somehow force him to stay against his wishes because we want his pitch performance, not his value.

He wanted to leave, let him the **** go. We got a transfer record for him, or nearly.

Man Utd can keep players like morgan nowhere near the first team because they are an enormous club. If players are being uppity, they won't get near the teamsheet. If you think saints is at that size you're delirious. We have barely 13-14 first team players.

Mane is exactly the kind of player who is going to mope around and have an awful attitude if he wanted to leave the club but was forced to stay.

I don't know the bloke but Mane I don't think would have had any great objection to the Saints way, the Saints team, or the south coast. Either he wanted to leave for money (in which case, see ya later) , or else he wanted to leave because his relationshio with Koeman was crap (not the clubs fault, and he's now left leaving us with 5m anyway).

Sadio's not exactly going to thrive up there, i fear. Miserable fans, miserable city. They're going to **** all over him, frankly. A pity. He needs to be on a team where he won't get dropped and forgotten with the first bad run of form. I don't think he's that strong, mentally, and has probably peaked. Liverpool to sell at a marginal loss in 1.5 years to somewhere like PSG.

You are doubly sad, because this is unlikely

and churlish because you and the rest of us have all benefitted from his two years here.

I very much enjoyed our time with Mané at Southampton, he is a fantastic player and that is why I want him to do so badly for Liverpool. Considering Liverpool are in the same league as us and very much a league rival then why would I want him to do well? I want him to plummet at Liverpool, along with their points count. If he went to a side outside the Premier League then I would have wished him well.

I'd imagine playing with Coutinho behind him rather than Davis will probably result in substantial increase in chances at the very least.
how so? Davis passes the ball.

Coutinho go-to is to bomb it from 30 yards out!

If anything Mane should start cozying up to Milner.

My days. You lot.

Thirty four million pounds for a player who, albeit being very creative (though not the most assists for us, that guy is still here by the way) wanted to leave?

That's an astonishing amount of money. To say the money is a terrible reason to sell, and that it demonstrates that the club is just about 'profit not fans' these days, is incredible

To sell a player like that, for an enormous profit, who seemed never that happy to settle with us, for me does not imply a) we have no ambition as a club or that b) the footballing results still aren't central to what we do

I want to know what you suggested after Shaw went to UTd? That we had lost all ambition, and of the sale of a young player who we could have kept? But we now have Bertrand for a third of the price - is it a lack of ambition? Did we forsake the football for the sake of money? Shaw was one of the standout performers of the season before he left.

It's astonishing that people seem to have no trust whatsoever that the club is capable of recruiting someone to replace him. And even if we only recruit Redmond like for like, and bring in another defensive midfielder, and we finish 10th, or 12th...we're southampton for pete's sake.

The fact that people are abhorred by the fact we aren't focusing on pushing on to champions league either demonstrates that they have become saints fans in the last two years, or that they have been so jaded by the success of the last 2-3 years that their expectations are wildly out of kilter.

What a great few years we've had after a fairly rocky period since moving to st marys. The club has demonstrated that players with big egos and a desire to play elsewhere, and who can fetch a tidy profit, shouldn't play for saints. And that they should be consistently replaced by hungry, young players. Some of whom turn out tobe utter stars who don't just maintain a midtable finish, but can help us push on and finish even higher. What a great motto to have.

Great post, I am sure every Leicester fan should read this and complain to the club that they didn't finish where they were supposed to.

I've not read the whole thread since the image I'm getting of posters on here lately means it'll be 23 pages of mostly bed wetting with a few people valiantly struggling against the wave of urine to make a valid comment.

So here's my tuppence on the subject:

He wanted to go anyway

He's another great player we've discovered

We got a damn good price for him

Best of luck to him

Who's next?

Sadio's not exactly going to thrive up there, i fear. Miserable fans, miserable city. They're going to **** all over him, frankly. A pity. He needs to be on a team where he won't get dropped and forgotten with the first bad run of form. I don't think he's that strong, mentally, and has probably peaked. Liverpool to sell at a marginal loss in 1.5 years to somewhere like PSG.

I fear for him if he doesn't hit the ground running.

He doesn't come across as having a strong character or as one of the lads , more of a loner who barely cracks open a smile even when he scores!! He seems very shy, looks like a little boy lost in interviews. Did you see his his arrival "Hi I'm Sadio Mane, I'm glad to have signed for Liverpool" message read from a script like a robot? No feeling, no passion, more of a grimace than a smile. A bit like Conman's at Everton. This may come across badly with the bin dippers who will be expecting 3 minute hat tricks every week and a player saying posting how great the fans are #YNWA every 5 minutes.

Maybe Klippity Klopps touchy feely stuff may bring him out of his shell ... or drive him further into it. Who knows.

34 million was too much to turn down, especially if Senegal have a good African Nations run in January.

And too be honest when you look back at some of the abuse dished out to him from the terraces (seats doesn't sound so dramatic!!) in his first season and even this mid season just gone, you can't blame the lad for not feeling a sense of loyalty to us.

I wish him well as player and hope he has a good season, but that Liverpool as a club, crash and burn again!!

Great post, I am sure every Leicester fan should read this and complain to the club that they didn't finish where they were supposed to.

If we'd done the transfer business that Leicester had done this time last year drips like you would have blubbering about lack of ambition all summer.

Sounds like a good deal to me, on his day he's great but he goes missing too often to command a £34M price tag. Liverpool will have to coax more consistent performances from him and if they can then the £34M will become justified.

If we spend that money wisely it could be another boost for us.

If we'd done the transfer business that Leicester had done this time last year drips like you would have blubbering about lack of ambition all summer.

you are an absolute twa t aren't you, my first post for months but you're straight onto it and completely miss the point, can you quote me on anything recent about whats been happening? No, thought not, its just personal isn't it, maybe its jealousy?

Jesus, you should get out more mate, rather than spend your entire life on this, it might help you integrate into society a little better.

you are an absolute twa t aren't you, my first post for months but you're straight onto it and completely miss the point, can you quote me on anything recent about whats been happening? No, thought not, its just personal isn't it, maybe its jealousy?

Jesus, you should get out more mate, rather than spend your entire life on this, it might help you integrate into society a little better.

Trouble is. He was right.

You do live in a happy, hippy rose-tinted little world don't you? Are you really that naive and clueless or did I misread your essay??

"Happy, hippy and rose-tinted"? Which part of my "essay" did you disagree with then?

That we have a good scouting system? Or a strong academy? Or that we develop the players we buy? That when we do sell we get great money? Or perhaps that we have improved our league position consistently with the current approach?

I'm disappointed to see Mane go, he's a real talent and will be tough to replace. But history to date has told us that we will be able to, so until we have seen that we haven't been able to, I'll back the board's decision.

You feel free to wallow in despair about the horrendous plight of our club though.

Trouble is. He was right.

about what? I was responding to a post that was saying that we should be content on finishing twelfth and we are Southampton etc. sort of thing that Everton fans have been saying lately.

Whilst i can see the point of realising that we are massively over achieving presently, I think any fan can still dream of bigger and better things and thankfully, at long last, Leicester City have confirmed that fact that it can happen.

So whilst I don't see finishing twelfth as disastrous, given the club's policy of selling our best players year after year, I can still hope and dream of Europe and whilst we have not done a Leicester, we have done very, very well.

What I don't appreciate is someone saying that i have no right of dreaming and we are just Southampton, as i said, i expect that patronisation (made up word alert) from other supporters, not our own.

how so? Davis passes the ball.

Coutinho go-to is to bomb it from 30 yards out!

If anything Mane should start cozying up to Milner.

I sense you're probably joking, but just in case you aren't Coutinho had more goals, more assists and more chances per minute created than SD. I know everyone loves Davis, but the idea that his graft in attacking midfield (where both play) would be enough to keep Coutinho out of the team is absolutely insane.

Exactly that. Cant remember who first said it but it means stay as wide as the pitch will allow. All those old enough will remember the lines on the pitch being made from chalk or lime and had the effect of making your nice black winfields go white!

My days. You lot.

To be fair we never bothered replacing our best midfielder Morgan and our RB Clyne was replaced by two cheap players , neither capable of performing to the standard required . That affects my faith in the board . I think profit rather than the team defines them .

Also its Les Reed who keeps mentioning pushing on towards Champions League .

These things bother some fans

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk