CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

Certainly worth more than Sterling.

Lets just say "IF" he's hell-bent on going:

Would you take £40m this summer? or would you keep him one more season & sell for £15m next summer?

I think Mane is great, but I would certainly take 40mil for him now. African cup next year isn't it?

32m for Deeney, wtf.

I've said it before but Deeney actual scored and assisted more goals in the league than Mane last season, he is also Watford's captain and talisman and they clearly aren't that keen to let him go. I also read that Watford want 24 million for him after his previous club get their cut of a sell on clause hence the high price tag.

First it was not letting players wind their contracts down and leave for a free, but now perhaps it's not let them get to one year left otherwise you can only expect to get the money you paid for them back as looks likely with Wanyama. If Mane won't extend his deal then maybe we have to take £40m now rather than £15m next summer makes financial sense.

First it was not letting players wind their contracts down and leave for a free, but now perhaps it's not let them get to one year left otherwise you can only expect to get the money you paid for them back as looks likely with Wanyama. If Mane won't extend his deal then maybe we have to take £40m now rather than £15m next summer makes financial sense.

But that would have been the case with Victor last season and we already had an example of it with Clyne during that summer. We could have flogged VW for £20m plus but didn't.

Even if we hold on to Mane, I'd say we'd still double our money next summer because we'd have multiple clubs after him anyway and he's a striker not a defensive midfielder or full back.

If he doesn't kick off I'd think we'd try and keep him but I think his head will be gone by July so we won't.

Couldn't afford to let both Morgan and Wanyama leave at same time explains the first, and the club thought CLyne was singing a new deal possibly explains the second. Also we may have learned from both situations and realised that players are simply going to leave. We shall see.

Not sure we will get £25m for Mane next summer by the way. That a lot for a player with one year left. Mind you he could have an amazing season I suppose.

We won't get much more than £20m next season for Mane unless he has a blinder. Goetze has 1yr left on his contract and he's worth about that right now. If we get a 40m offer we should take it, but ideally we tie him down to a longer deal.

Can't see Liverpool paying £40 million for him to honest and can't see him making a fuss about moving there either. Man City, Arsenal, Barca or someone yes, but not Liverpool, what's the point moving from Europa League football to no Euro football, might as well wait to a champions league club comes knocking, one that will get there season after season. Which Liverpool currently cannot offer.

With Koeman gone we are probably in a better position to get him to sign an extension as well, but we need to get a manager in first I reckon and as you are asking a lot for players to sign a new contract with no manager. If we can get a manager in of say Pellegrini's quality and few early signings in as well I reckon the likes of Mane, Pelle and Tadic will sign extensions.

On a side note it's amazing what football has come to when Juventus, champions of italy can't hold onto players so it kind of worries me less that we can't. I hope Vardy bucks the trend and stays with Leicester, that squad deserves a crack at the Champions League together.

That would be outstanding.

With the FF, JWP, VVD and Davis contract extensions, its clear the club have got the message.

Yes, well done to you Alps for constantly banging on at the club over the past few years. Despite all the ridicule you've played a blinder.

Depends what clauses are in the contract and money involved.

Give him what he wants money wise and then slap on a £50m release clause for a champions league side. If we could keep him this season or even the next couple, it would be massive.

Give him what he wants money wise and then slap on a £50m release clause for a champions league side. If we could keep him this season or even the next couple, it would be massive.

£50m might be a bit too high as a release clause, perhaps £35-40m where it could be attractive to buying clubs but gives Saints a very healthy margin on the player and wards off the running down of the contract issue. Just thinking about it from the player's side. £30m even might be more conducive to getting agreement - that is likely to be activated in the future but would motivate Sadio to play near the top of his game so the club still wins because his contract won't be running down.

At this stage if we are worrying about money then something isn't right behind the scenes.

Mane is a proven goal scorer in this league and will only get better. Anything below £40m is a joke when you consider what other attacking like minded players have been going for.

If Mane was the only business Liverpool did it would give them enough of an edge for them to get a top 6 finish. I think us handing that edge to a competitor (on the same level as us at this current time) is madness. He clearly is headed for the top and will get better as he matures, we should hold onto him for as long as possible because he is just going to get better and better.

I hope Vardy bucks the trend and stays with Leicester, that squad deserves a crack at the Champions League together.

Could not agree more. He goes then so too will Marez and Kante. Stay and perhaps the other two will do the same. Going to cost Leicester a shed load in wage rises though, which I guess they can afford.

It's a very interesting scenario. Similar in some ways to us when we faced losing Shaw, Lallana and (lets say) Morgan (because I don't want to say Lovren). At that time we really needed to have made that extra giant step forward straight into CL football, which we of course we didn't get anywhere near, but possibly (I know its stretching things a bit) could have attained and then to use that as the carrot to keep them here (plus of course monster wage rises). I'm interested to see how it pans out for Leicester, if all three stay and get huge wage rises. I hope they do well in the CL, but I wonder how it will effect the rest of the club for the years to come.

If Mane was the only business Liverpool did it would give them enough of an edge for them to get a top 6 finish. I think us handing that edge to a competitor (on the same level as us at this current time) is madness. He clearly is headed for the top and will get better as he matures, we should hold onto him for as long as possible because he is just going to get better and better.

all that is a given, but you can't force him to sign a new contract and if he doesn't then his value depreciates massively. Forget how long he might stay, the club simply must protect the value of the asset by getting him to extend during this window. If not it becomes another tough decision like it must have been when they didn't get Morgan, Wanyama and Clyne to extend when they had two years to go.

So now you can't even allow a player to get into the penultimate year without upping his contract, never mind the final year.

Soon people will give a player a 3 year deal and after half a dozen games, if he did reasonably well, feel they need to up the deal before he gets near that penultimate year.

The loons are taking over the asylum. I'd love to see Sky say they're rather fed up with football; it would be hilarious to see the hand-wringing and claims of poverty.

all that is a given, but you can't force him to sign a new contract and if he doesn't then his value depreciates massively. Forget how long he might stay, the club simply must protect the value of the asset by getting him to extend during this window. If not it becomes another tough decision like it must have been when they didn't get Morgan, Wanyama and Clyne to extend when they had two years to go.

I think keeping him for another year without signing an extension regardless of value drop is worth more to the club in terms of where we can potentially finish next season, our European Cup attempt and also the public statement it would send about our club. If we want to stop being seen as a 'Selling Club' so we can attract better manager and achieve more then it's quite simple, we have to stop selling unless we absolutely have no choice, and as proven with Wanyama last year, it can be done. Mane is on the way to being in the next level up from Lallana, Lambert, Clyne or Lovren therefore we need to keep him for as long as its in our control and get the benefit of him for the value we paid for him. I think losing an initial 10M investment and having a chance of getting into the Champions league is worth it occasionally when you have a player of his calibre and capability that has undoubted ability to be even better.

Let's not kid ourselves here in that to be fair Liverpool are a far bigger club than Saints and compete, to emphasise matters they reached two finals last season one domestic, one European under a new and talismanic manager. "IF", that's if they want him and they produce the spondulicks then like the others before him Mane will in all probability tread the well worn path to Anfield, it's all about the money.

Agree.

While I would love to think we will hold out for £40m, I reckon we'll accept £35m

Les is having enough trouble appointing a manager as it is, without selling our best. Our top players are our best asset. If he sold Mane it would be proof that he is losing the plot. No wonder RK accused Saints of not having enough ambition. If he sold Mane for only £35m I would despair.

Let's not kid ourselves here in that to be fair Liverpool are a far bigger club than Saints and compete, to emphasise matters they reached two finals last season one domestic, one European under a new and talismanic manager. "IF", that's if they want him and they produce the spondulicks then like the others before him Mane will in all probability tread the well worn path to Anfield, it's all about the money.

I don't care about the childish spat of which club has the biggest club, coCk, installed floodlights etc and which overpaid media numpty or bindipping gob****e wants to ram that opinion down throats to prove their yearly prediction of Liverpool winning the league. History is a line on a wiki page, it doesn't magically have effects on the current teams ability to win games. The fact for Saints FC at this moment in time is that we will be competing against Liverpool FC for Top 6. If we have the choice to not sell to a rival, regardless of money offered and Mane wanting to go, we should not do it this season. That is the only way to change the dynamic.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”

Edited by Mallagroth

Again can't see Liverpool paying £40 million (unless they get some good sales), can't see him getting £125k a week either and finally I can't see him being very fussed about moving to a club (albeit bigger in history and fanbase) that have about the same chance as us of getting Champions league football next year. Whilst also taking away his chance of playing Euro football next season.

Liverpool are simply not Man City, they haven't got as much cash to splash nor the pull for players at the moment. I'd also reckon their owners are a bit more wary of buying expensive players from less premier league clubs as well after the Benteke transfer back fired.

You are talking about spending another £10 million more then they paid for him with higher wages, if I was their owners I'd be asking why they can't have found a Mane like player in the first place.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd reckon if Lallana was making his move now, rather than two years ago he'd not have made much fuss to move.

It's one thing moving to premier league runners up and in the champions league Liverpool, it's another thing moving to 8th placed Liverpool with no euro football.

Hopefully with Koeman gone he'll sign a new contract, especially if no interest from a higher club appears. Seems like the Utd interest has cooled so the £40 million price tag might have done it's job.

Again can't see Liverpool paying £40 million (unless they get some good sales), can't see him getting £125k a week either and finally I can't see him being very fussed about moving to a club (albeit bigger in history and fanbase) that have about the same chance as us of getting Champions league football next year. Whilst also taking away his chance of playing Euro football next season.

Liverpool are simply not Man City, they haven't got as much cash to splash nor the pull for players at the moment. I'd also reckon their owners are a bit more wary of buying expensive players from less premier league clubs as well after the Benteke transfer back fired.

You are talking about spending another £10 million more then they paid for him with higher wages, if I was their owners I'd be asking why they can't have found a Mane like player in the first place.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd reckon if Lallana was making his move now, rather than two years ago he'd not have made much fuss to move.

It's one thing moving to premier league runners up and in the champions league Liverpool, it's another thing moving to 8th placed Liverpool with no euro football.

Hopefully with Koeman gone he'll sign a new contract, especially if no interest from a higher club appears. Seems like the Utd interest has cooled so the £40 million price tag might have done it's job.

Looks like Liverpool may well be looking elsewhere

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-planning-andros-townsend-transfer-8237792

Seems more right, less wages, less fee and thus lower risk. Doubt the scousers will be enthralled by it though.

If there are any rumours that Lewandowski wants a new challenge, wants premier league and might be encouraged to link up with Klopp again Liverpool should be going all out investigating the possibility of that transfer.

On a side note, was thinking watching England yesterday that they could have done with a Townsend to come on, someone to run at people, take players on and has more end product than Sterling.

I don't care about the childish spat of which club has the biggest club, coCk, installed floodlights etc and which overpaid media numpty or bindipping gob****e wants to ram that opinion down throats to prove their yearly prediction of Liverpool winning the league. History is a line on a wiki page, it doesn't magically have effects on the current teams ability to win games. The fact for Saints FC at this moment in time is that we will be competing against Liverpool FC for Top 6. If we have the choice to not sell to a rival, regardless of money offered and Mane wanting to go, we should not do it this season. That is the only way to change the dynamic.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results

Is that what your psychoanalyst told you under therapy or did you arrive at that staggering conclusion virtue of your own devices? You see the only thing relevant to this debate that is happening over and over again is the Saints losing their best players and that is all down to the money - end of.

So then are we to deduce from what you have offered here you are seeing the same thing over and over again but this time you are expecting a different result?:rolleyes: