CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

Harsh words. Mane was great to begin with. Alongside Tadic he has hit a rough latch and came on against a team on top. Granted he is unpredictable but to right him off is pure thick.

Really? He was distinctively average at first and has only got worse since!

Thoroughly agree. He's not even Championship level. I hope tonight was the last time we get to see him. Isgrove can at least get round his man and is a great tackler too.

Ridiculous.

He's been poor of late though, no worse than Tadic or Pelle mind. The whole front three have gone right off the boil pretty much since the Hull game when we were utterly toothless going forward and had our midfield/back-four/ability to keep a clean sheet to thank.

That's now 16 goals in 13 matches if you discount the Sunderland 8-0 which, great result/performance though it was, is massively skewing everything.

Some of our players at the back have put in performances that have thoroughly deserved to get them results.

Ridiculous.

He's been poor of late though, no worse than Tadic or Pelle mind. The whole front three have gone right off the boil pretty much since the Hull game when we were utterly toothless going forward and had our midfield/back-four/ability to keep a clean sheet to thank.

That's now 16 goals in 13 matches if you discount the Sunderland 8-0 which, great result/performance though it was, is massively skewing everything.

Some of our players at the back have put in performances that have thoroughly deserved to get them results.

Not sure about this. I thought Pelle did Ok tonight apart from some dodgy finishing. His hold up play and defensive work was excellent, streets above anything Mane has managed so far.

Mane once again this evening showed that he is not to the standard required to unlock a defence. I really don't know what he is offering the team that Isgrove et al cannot.

How long do we have keep this guy on the payroll?

So, now people have moved from Forster onto Mane I see. Jesus wept, can't we just accept a few bad performances and actually realize how well we'e actually done, rather than seemingly requiring the need to have a player to berate. This is Mane, he will frustrate and delight. You have to take the rough with the smooth with players like him, but he's shown enough during his time here to prove that he's got something in his locker.

I see a lot of people calling for Isgrove, but why? Can I ask what has he ever done at a high level to indicate he is good enough and a better alternative to a full international in mane? Why isn't he on the bench if that's the case?

So, now people have moved from Forster onto Mane I see. Jesus wept, can't we just accept a few bad performances and actually realize how well we'e actually done, rather than seemingly requiring the need to have a player to berate. This is Mane, he will frustrate and delight. You have to take the rough with the smooth with players like him, but he's shown enough during his time here to prove that he's got something in his locker.

I see a lot of people calling for Isgrove, but why? Can I ask what has he ever done at a high level to indicate he is good enough and a better alternative to a full international in mane? Why isn't he on the bench if that's the case?

More likely it's different people.

Ridiculous.

The thing is Tadic and Pelle have a lot more credit in their lockers due to top performances earlier in the season, Mane is a fair bit behind both of them in that regard.

The thing is Tadic and Pelle have a lot more credit in their lockers due to top performances earlier in the season, Mane is a fair bit behind both of them in that regard.

I think Mane has shown he's got ability; he was superb against QPR and Stoke and clearly has a decent amount of pace and skill in his locker. Against Leicester as well he absolutely terrified De Laet.

I'll admit that he's been disappointing recently but he's clearly become the new scapegoat considering the overreactions here.

People saying we should have Isgrove ahead of him are literally akin to the people in Spring 2012 calling for Hammond ahead of Schneiderlin.

I think Mane has shown he's got ability; he was superb against QPR and Stoke and clearly has a decent amount of pace and skill in his locker. Against Leicester as well he absolutely terrified De Laet.

I'll admit that he's been disappointing recently but he's clearly become the new scapegoat considering the overreactions here.

People saying we should have Isgrove ahead of him are literally akin to the people in Spring 2012 calling for Hammond ahead of Schneiderlin.

I wouldn't say he's been "superb" for us yet. And yes, Isgrove is definitely not the answer.

• 1 year later...
Don't even try to justify your mental views from over a year ago....they were mentally wrong then, and they still are now.

The lad obviously has ability, but over the course of his 18months with us, how regularly has he produced the goods

Can we resurrect the thread from his first six months here?

I think some of it started with the OP on this thread, Whitey.......go back and take a look.:lol:

CAUTION: Everything they said has been written down and will surely be used against them ...forever more.

Edited by david in sweden

That bit of him is already at Old Trafford

Genuinely can't see why they would be interested at the moment though. Nowhere near consistent enough, especially for a 'big' team - they need players who can come in and do the business straight away, not someone who only fancies it every now and again.

Nobody came out of that game with any honours but it looked like we were playing with 10 men. I can't recall a single constructive contribution from Mane in the whole 90 minutes. He has pace, but if he can't use it in the right areas, control a ball, pass it to one of his one team or shoot on target then that pace is pretty irrelevant.

Absolutely terrible last night - doesn't look interested at all, doesn't look like he's trying.

Not sure that he can be accused of not trying, he looks so entirely predictable though and defenders always seem to be able to guess pretty accurately what he's intending to do.

Nobody came out of that game with any honours but it looked like we were playing with 10 men. I can't recall a single constructive contribution from Mane in the whole 90 minutes. He has pace, but if he can't use it in the right areas, control a ball, pass it to one of his one team or shoot on target then that pace is pretty irrelevant.

You mean other than being involved in our best bits of play and forcing Boruc to make his only save of note. The service was terrible -we've switched from hitting long balls to Pelle to hitting balls down the channels to chase, regardless what the opposition is doing. This bitty, percentages football isn't conducive to our skill players. Not just Mané who is also suffering from bad form.

Otherwise Mané (and Long) was picking the ball up deep in our own half and having to release the ball quickly sideways or backwards. Running at 3-4 bournemouth players made little sense. Had Romeu, JWP and to some extent the fullbacks (though esp in the 3-5-2) not been sitting so deep but occasionally making runs and pulling defenders, the likes of Mané may have had more space to carry the ball into. But that's not how we've set up recently.

Recon the agent has said "Look United are interested but won't pay £25m play **** until the end of the season let's see if we can get your price down"

I'd doubt if Utd are really all that interested, there will be far better players available next summer than Mané. Haven't they already done some sort of deal for Felipé Anderson ? Utd aren't really big buyers of Africans either.

Mane at his best is an outstanding young player, one of the best young players in the Prem, and he is (was?) probably worth close to £30m.

Since Xmas he has been utter gash, he doesn't look interested, he doesn't appear to be trying, he doesn't look as fit or as sharp as he did previously; he looks every inch a player who is winding down his time with us and waiting for his big-money move and the big wages that go with it.

I'd be very surprised if he produces anything worthwhile over the remaining games or if he is with us next year, we've probably already got his replacement lined up.

Mane at his best is an outstanding young player, one of the best young players in the Prem, and he is (was?) probably worth close to £30m.

Since Xmas he has been utter gash, he doesn't look interested, he doesn't appear to be trying, he doesn't look as fit or as sharp as he did previously; he looks every inch a player who is winding down his time with us and waiting for his big-money move and the big wages that go with it.

I'd be very surprised if he produces anything worthwhile over the remaining games or if he is with us next year, we've probably already got his replacement lined up.

Would take Sisto from Midgetland....

I'd doubt if Utd are really all that interested, there will be far better players available next summer than Mané. Haven't they already done some sort of deal for Felipé Anderson ? Utd aren't really big buyers of Africans either.

I like Mane a lot. I enjoy almost everything in his game apart from him going to ground far too easily. He is always going to be a little hit and miss. He plays at a hundred miles and hour and that means the ball will be mis-controlled on a regular basis because it is just behind him and/or he will take the wrong option when a slower player would perhaps make sure. He will also spray shots wide because he's happy to take anything on, not just wait for the ball to sit perfectly. The flip side is that he inserts energy and pace into the attack. He is a genuine threat when playing in the right areas. He's very much like another personal favourite Henri Camara. Lightening, but perhaps at a price.

However, there is no denying that absolutely nothing has come off for him for many months now. Not a flick, trick or pass. Add to that his first touch has let him down, decision making has been poor, he has been offside a lot and given the ball away too many times (so much so he has had to be subbed and dropped). Personally I don't put it down to wanting to leave or not trying or anything simple like that. It's just not happening. No more no less.

In terms of United. I agree, he doesn't feel like their type of player. He's just a little too erratic with a touch that is not quite good enough, often enough. I'm sure the'd like to add his dynamism, pace and threat, but I think they'd want someone that doesn't miscontrol so often. United have signed the odd African player: Quniton Fortune, Eric Djemba-Djemba, Manucho and Mame Biram Diouf shake out of a google search, but not exactly inspiring.

CHEZ When I read your first paragraph I immediately thought of Camara. The bloke scored goals by trying as many times as possible. Something like five to one. Favourite of mine also.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I wonder what Terry Paine would be worth today in my opinion a complete footballer who won so many games for SFC and with Chivers took us to Div 1 fifty years ago with that goal right in front of me at Brisbane Road

I wonder what Terry Paine would be worth today in my opinion a complete footballer who won so many games for SFC and with Chivers took us to Div 1 fifty years ago with that goal right in front of me at Brisbane Road

Probably my most enjoyable Saints game after the 1976 cup final.

Right in front of me as well - can still see him heading the ball in. Happy days!