CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

There's no way we'll get 40 million for Mane. 25-30 would be about right.

In a transfer market where Benteke cost £32m and Sterling cost £49m, I'd be disappointed if Mane only went for £25m to £30m! He is more effective than both Benteke & Sterling. Those deals were also done before the new huge rise in TV money, which will inflate transfer fees. Mane has caused every single defence in the Premier League a lot of problems, his close control, pace, technique, creativity, young age & goal scoring all make him extremely valuable and he is underrated by quite a few Saints fans.

Maybe circa £25 Million next year if he dosn't sign a new contract

£40 Million min this year with two years remaining

This. With a year left on his contract we would get £25 M, let alone two years.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I think he will go for around £20m after liverpool promise to double his wages, but only if he refuses to play again which will reduce his transfer fee as we are forced to sell (ala Lallana)

You think we got less for Lallana as he refused to play?

If we get 20M for Mane, we will have been completely mugged off.

He'll go to a CL club if/when he goes, not Liverpool.

No he won't. He'll go to the club that offers him the most money. Just like they all do.

Any player leaving Leicester or going to Liverpool this summer will have to change the script a bit. Can't say anything about the Champions League in their statement. Oh no.

If Mane goes then so what? As long as the money made on the transfer is put back into the team then it's business as usual. Another good, foreign bloke that we haven't heard of will take his place. Hasn't done us any harm in the last couple of seasons.

No he won't. He'll go to the club that offers him the most money. Just like they all do.

Any player leaving Leicester or going to Liverpool this summer will have to change the script a bit. Can't say anything about the Champions League in their statement. Oh no.

If Mane goes then so what? As long as the money made on the transfer is put back into the team then it's business as usual. Another good, foreign bloke that we haven't heard of will take his place. Hasn't done us any harm in the last couple of seasons.

Any new player that joins us takes time for us to develop into an effective contributor and we are not as effective as we could be whilst that process is taking place. You only have to look at the comments from Mané's early days (mine included) to see that he was possibly more of a handicap than a help to begin with. This is why the 'top clubs' (the ones with loadsamoney) tend to buy the finished articles straight out of the shop window, which is what we are.

You think we got less for Lallana as he refused to play?

If we get 20M for Mane, we will have been completely mugged off.

I think so yeh. It puts us in a situation where (if they follow through with the threat) we have a worthless asset. And other clubs know this, and you end up in the situation where we are forced to get what we can. Bit like Clyne when he was happy to let his contract run out.

Think a lot of people on here are underestimating just how good Mane is. Admittedly has had off days aplenty this season, but even during those I still feel he's worth his place in the team because he still causes so many problems for the opposition. One of the very few players we have/will have sold since our return to the Premier League that I see as possibly irreplaceable. Thats not to say we won't cope and push on further, but we won't find someone as good as him I don't believe.

[vine]iQwTvhKbb66[/vine]

Mane not appreciating a joke. If he was happy you would expect him to retaliate and have a good laugh. (Perhaps his bottle was empty)

He was ill, that's why he was subbed off and that's why he said "I'm sick"

What will be will be.

There is little point in speculating on events that one has absolutely no control over.

There are four factors, how much are Saints prepared to pay him, which club wants him and how much are they prepared to pay in wages and transfer fees, and whether Mane and his agent are satisfied.

We all know that if a mega-club in the CL pays top dollar he'll be off like a shot.

Best just to wait and see.

Let's be blunt about this. If Mane had the physical appearance of Clasie, he would be being universally hailed by Saints fans as one of the best players ever to play for the club and NOBODY would want him sold for any amount of money. Conversely, if Clasie had the physical appearance of Mane, he would be getting called all the insulting names under the sun by just about every Saints fan and would be labelled as having a poor attitude.

If I was you mate, I'd leave it right there. Immediately. I really would. A joke's a joke, but this is absolutely the wrong thread for it, try the muppet show joke thread.

My apologies. Comparing him to Titus Bramble trying to skill past Messi is doing dog**** a disservice :lol:

It was a bit tongue in cheek and I wasn't the only one to criticize him when he first joined. He still isn't worth 40 mil.

It was a bit tongue in cheek and I wasn't the only one to criticize him when he first joined. He still isn't worth 40 mil.

We're Southampton, unless they've only got a year left we sell players for significantly more than they're worth

Any new player that joins us takes time for us to develop into an effective contributor and we are not as effective as we could be whilst that process is taking place. You only have to look at the comments from Mané's early days (mine included) to see that he was possibly more of a handicap than a help to begin with. This is why the 'top clubs' (the ones with loadsamoney) tend to buy the finished articles straight out of the shop window, which is what we are.

... and then sometimes this finished article gets the big pay day and doesn't adjust well to his new team. ie flops.

Plus sometimes a new, unknown player has the advantage that the opposition don't have much video on them - they are an unknown quantity with a hunger to prove how good they are.

All pros 'n' cons. Whatever - I trust the powers that be at SFC at the moment.

I think so yeh. It puts us in a situation where (if they follow through with the threat) we have a worthless asset. And other clubs know this, and you end up in the situation where we are forced to get what we can. Bit like Clyne when he was happy to let his contract run out.

I'm not sure how explicit Lallana's refusal to ever play for us again really was but I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't have got more than the £26M we sold him for. I think we've proven that players don't really go on strike and become worthless assets.

Clyne running down a contract is a completely different scenario.

Liverpool going for their fifth Saints player, now aiming for tenth place. If they want to be challenging for the PL and CL they are going to have to do a lot better than buy half decent players at overinflated prices and salaries. Lambert, Lallana, Lovren and Clyne just weren't top class and still aren't, neither is Mane however important he is to us.

You're talking about two completely different scenarios.

We got a great price for Lallana, once he made it clear he wanted to go, we screwed Liverpool as much as we could.

We got a reasonable price for Clyne as he had a year left.

We will get a hefty fee for Mane if he goes this season and a decent one if he goes next year. I would think we will try and keep him one more year as he is worth more to us for one more season than the difference in fees (probably ten million quid) between this year and next.

Whilst I don't doubt Liverpool would want him, I don't particularly see why they would want him if they can't get Gotze.

They aren't anything like each other are they? I would have said Gotze is more similar to Coutinho.

They don't really have anybody like Mane in their squad.

Mane has the potential to be world class, we've seen enough flashes of it. I think in this case another season with him could be far more valuable to the club than what we could reap by selling him at his current value. Champions league and a top 4 finish is far more likely with him in the side having already gelled and knowing the way we play, rather than taking a 25-30million punt on another player (we probably would not spend that all on a replacement anyway). His potential next season is more valuable than his current worth imo.

Mane has the potential to be world class, we've seen enough flashes of it. I think in this case another season with him could be far more valuable to the club than what we could reap by selling him at his current value. Champions league and a top 4 finish is far more likely with him in the side having already gelled and knowing the way we play, rather than taking a 25-30million punt on another player (we probably would not spend that all on a replacement anyway). His potential next season is more valuable than his current worth imo.

Agree. Would also be nigh on impossible to replace his goals, positional versatility and the general threat he brings..

If we were open to sell him I reckon at least 4 PL sides would want him - an indication of how good he is and can go on to be.

One of few Saints players in the last 30 years who the crowd expect to do something when he gets on the ball, even just inside the opposition half.

If we want to be a progressive side he is sort of player you keep another year even if his value drops slightly or you put your foot down and only allow him to go for silly money. Like Monaco did with Martial and Everton will likely do with Stones and Lukaku.

This.

To add: You got this ahead, project seasons ahead and his potential impact.

If he puts together a season for Saints like we all think he is capable of next season (2016-17)... say 20 goals... his value will increase despite being on the last of year of his contract that following summer.

Secondly, if he puts together a monster 2016-2017 with Saints, CL qualification increases highly. [Consider where our place on the table might have been this season if he had doubled his goal total.] If we qualify for CL for the 2017-2018 season, just maybe, maybe he re-signs with us or we sell him for a monster price.

We potentially have way much more to gain by having him on the squad next year.

This.

To add: You got this ahead, project seasons ahead and his potential impact.

If he puts together a season for Saints like we all think he is capable of next season (2016-17)... say 20 goals... his value will increase despite being on the last of year of his contract that following summer.

Secondly, if he puts together a monster 2016-2017 with Saints, CL qualification increases highly. [Consider where our place on the table might have been this season if he had doubled his goal total.] If we qualify for CL for the 2017-2018 season, just maybe, maybe he re-signs with us or we sell him for a monster price.

We potentially have way much more to gain by having him on the squad next year.

Don't think another good season will massively boost his value. To go for a 'monster price' a player really has to perform well in the CL (unless they're young and English).

Bloody hell Mane is a good player but I think some of you are laying it on a bit thick.

Assists wise, in the League, this season he is ranked along side Matt Ritchie, Pelle, Lallana and Wayne Rooney with 6 for the season and that's actually less than Troy Deeney and Wes Hoolahan.

http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/statistics/assists

Goals wise, in the league, he scored the same number as Pelle, Wijnaldum and Marko Arnautovic he actually scored less than Andre Ayew, Troy Deeney and Defoe.

http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/statistics/scorers

Like I said he is a good player and on his day in full flow I can't imagine there is any saints fan who doesn't get a little excited when he has the ball. On the other hand he went from Liverpool away to Liverpool at home with out scoring in the league or even being that good. Good player I hope stays but world class and irreplaceable I don't think so.

15:40

Mane could stay at Southampton

We've got some news coming out of Southampton this afternoon, courtesy of Sportsmail's SAM CUNNINGHAM.

He reports that Sadio Mane's exit from Southampton is far from decided, with a source close to the player revealing he appears to be changing his mind about wanting to leave.

It is believed he recently bought a house in the local area and, despite being all set to go in January when Manchester United made an offer which Southampton turned down, his exit is not so certain now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3612192/Transfer-news-LIVE-Manchester-United-Arsenal-Liverpool-Chelsea-plus-Premier-League-Europe.html#ixzz49tYMLh57

15:40

Mane could stay at Southampton

We've got some news coming out of Southampton this afternoon, courtesy of Sportsmail's SAM CUNNINGHAM.

He reports that Sadio Mane's exit from Southampton is far from decided, with a source close to the player revealing he appears to be changing his mind about wanting to leave.

It is believed he recently bought a house in the local area and, despite being all set to go in January when Manchester United made an offer which Southampton turned down, his exit is not so certain now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3612192/Transfer-news-LIVE-Manchester-United-Arsenal-Liverpool-Chelsea-plus-Premier-League-Europe.html#ixzz49tYMLh57

That's great news, especially with Koeman staying too. Really looking forward to next season more than any other I can ever recall.

That's great news, especially with Koeman staying too. Really looking forward to next season more than any other I can ever recall.

You're only saying that because he's not white or something. If he was blond and looked like Clasie you'd say it was terrible news.

You're only saying that because he's not white or something. If he was blond and looked like Clasie you'd say it was terrible news.

Hands up. Perhaps I did lay it on a bit thick with that post, but I get the impression, perhaps wrongly, that a few of our fans, by no means all, don't view Mane quite as fairly and objectively as they ought to, when he looks to me like one of the best players we've ever had. I'd be as gutted to lose him as I was when we lost Channon, Shearer and Keegan.