Paul Merson Still Not Convinced

Noodles34

merson's tone this week really aggravates me: "I think Southampton have hit a brick wall. The teams they have beaten weren’t any of the big boys...they never looked like scoring...Man City ripped them apart....I can’t see them getting anything even at home"

merson's tone this week really aggravates me: "I think Southampton have hit a brick wall. The teams they have beaten weren’t any of the big boys...they never looked like scoring...Man City ripped them apart....I can’t see them getting anything even at home"

Tbh he's not wrong though is he, we've played 4 potential top teams, lost to them all, Pelle hasn't scored for about 5 games now, Tadic doesn't score, Mané not much more, to boot we've now lost our 2 best players and a reserve CM. Still football is a funny old game and no match is a foregone conclusion.,

Tbh he's not wrong though is he, we've played 4 potential top teams, lost to them all, Pelle hasn't scored for about 5 games now, Tadic doesn't score, Mané not much more, to boot we've now lost our 2 best players and a reserve CM. Still football is a funny old game and no match is a foregone conclusion.,

yeah you're right. but I don't think those facts necessarily mean we've hit a brick wall.

My take on it is this: everyone is asking if saints can finish top 6 (literally every podcast/pundit I listen to) because they've never played any of the 'big boys'....but what does a big boy really mean this season? Man Utd have lost to Leicester but will almost definitely improve...but Liverpool keep losing to fairly dreadful teams and arsenal's record against the 'big boys' is abysmal - maybe someone can correct me but I think against Chelsea, Utd and perhaps City they've only won a handful in the last few years. So is Spurs to be fair.

I'm not a pie in the sky saints fan and I actually think finishing 8th would be awesome. the fact we've been able to attract talent like toby, tadic and pelle is a great sign and so I'm already pretty satisfied with the season. But I do think finishing higher than 8th isn't inconceivable when we've already got 3 points against some of the harder mid-tables like stoke, hull, newcastle (admittedly when they were poor) and sunderland

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15205/9601390/mersons-predictions-united-to-make-it-six-in-a-row-plus-wins-for-chelsea-city-and-arsenal-for-wins

Burnley v Southampton

I can’t split these two. One’s near the bottom and one’s near the top. I think Burnley are doing alright, they performed well at QPR last week even though they lost. Southampton were quite disappointing against Man City and Arsenal but if they play anything like they did last week against Manchester United on Monday they’ll be alright.

Against United, they didn’t deserve to lose that in a month of Sunday’s. It was an unbelievable result. If anyone’s going to win you would think it would be Southampton, but Turf Moor is a tough place to go so I’m going for a draw.

PAUL PREDICTS: 1-1

Turf Moor is a tough place to go? How does he figure that one out? They have only one win there in almost 5 months....

Everywhere is a tough place to go, there are no easy games in the PL. That is just a generic response from the idiot.

I'm surprised he didnt say Southampton have never beaten Burnley at Turf Moor in the premier league.

Edited by Turkish

Worth noting The9 that you are making stuff up!

This time last year, 1 December, after 13 games, we were not 2nd. We were 7th.

Do you still think last year is a good model for this? Do you reckon we will drop one position again, and so finish 4th? ;)

My mistake, we were 2 points off 2nd at the start of Dec 1st, after 12 matches.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/southampton/2013-2014/table/2013-11-30

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/southampton/2013-2014/table/2013-12-01

Shows that table on 01/12/2013 had us in 7th, 5 points of 2nd for me.

After our bad recent run, comparison with last season;

14/15

5th with 26 points from 16.

Points behind 4th - 2, 3rd - 5 points.

13/14

9th with 24 from 16.

Points behind 5th- 7, 4th- 8, 3rd - 9 points.

Hopefully do better over the next few weeks than we did last season but are still better off than we were.