Ps3 v 360

Thedelldays

So, anyways, Home.

Should be good, eh?

:D certainly is, even the mrs enjoys it, but then again we did manage to get her avatar looking pretty much spot on (mine is two leather elbow patches away from being a librarian). Hopefully after tomorrow there'll also be something more to do than ten pin bowling and dancing to the wipeout HD trailer...

i have a ps3...what is this thing...how do you install is and use it etc..

cheers

Home is the ps3 virtual world thing, a bit like second life I guess. You can make private phone calls to other home users, there's the usual text chat so you can harass random people, there's games (ten pin bowling, pool, ps3 demos etc). There's also a (currently empty) shopping centre, and movie theatre which you can watch film trailers etc.

Until tomorrow you need to have received an invite from Sony to be able to download it, but after that you should be able to download the software from the playstation store.

Once it all goes fully live, I guess the content will increase as Sony and third parties start adding to it. Some of it will be free, some will cost, but most of the basic stuff is/will be free.

It all looks very slick, good graphics, simple to control and move around. It definitely helps to have a fast internet connection though. Some of the content requires a fair bit of downloading.

If I can work out how to take a snapshot, I'll do so later and post it.

I've no idea why you dislike the ps3 so much, but I'm sure Bill Gates would be pleased with your fanatical devotion to making Sony look like a two bit newcomer to the electronics and entertainment industry.

Sorry and i mean no offence but you seem to lack any clue of how the economy works especially for a electronics company.

Firstly you do realise that even in the recession the computer industry is/has not been effected? In fact they are selling and making more money then they ever have. Last friday the busiest day of the year sold nearly 25% more then last year. If it was caught up in the recesion it would of dropped not had it's biggest increase EVER. So have a read o this, it is an interesting piece about why the industry is recession proof

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10107412-52.html

Secondly your a prime example of someone who ignores the facts and then goes on the defensive, looking for reasons as to why "it is all ok!". Such optimism is to be applauded but from a business sense is very deluded. Shareholders don't seem to share your support, maybe you should post them your comments so they understand a bit better?

Let me give you some cold hard facts which as much as you try are un-spinable. This year Sony saw profits FALL by 76%. They have dropped to the 445th biggest company from 82nd last year. They made $900M profit last year of which has dropped 76% this year meaning they are at about $150M profit for the year of 2008. When the figures come out Sony will drop out of the top 1000 main companies on the stock exchange. In contrast Nintendo has seen sales increase by nearly 400%. They have made from the last quarter alone $400m. They will jump up from 400th to around 200th. Microsoft on the other hand are a complete different fish all together. They post $8BILLION PROFITS every year and are the 8th richest company in the world. Their shares as are Nintendo's going up and up and are posting the biggest sales/profits of the two companies histories. The complete opposite to Sony.

However we have been here before, this is nothing new at all. In fact one of the people i work with wrote a piece awhile ago about the fall from grace of Sega. The patterns are the same. Sega once owned the electronics business. Until they couldn't replicate the success of the Genesis era. That put their company on the line by investing in projects such as The Dreamcast/Saturn etc. and it bombed. It does not take a genius to work out if your outgoings are higher then your incomings you will be losing money. And the longer you are losing money the less you can succesfuly operate. And Sega rather then continue to lose more money pulled the plug on it's console buisness and concentrated on publishing games.

The same thing happened with Nintendo. So you may not like it, might not agree with it, can call me the biggest Sony hater in the world, that will not change the fact Sony has a rip in it's side the same size as the rip that sunk the Titanic. They are now changing their company to help protect it from losing the sheer amount it is losing. If the PS3 in particular remains to be outsold 800k a week by the Wii and 400k a week by the 360 it will be just a matter of time before those numbers catch up to it.

I've no idea why you dislike the ps3 so much, but I'm sure Bill Gates would be pleased with your fanatical devotion to making Sony look like a two bit newcomer to the electronics and entertainment industry.

well said barfy.

what exactly is your job st marco ?

St Marco,

You are probably right, I am probably relatively clueless as to the minutiae of the global economy, and I certainly have no interest in wading through reams of data and reports that would support my case.

I thoroughly admire your optimism that the electronics and games industry will be able to weather the storm of the current global economic crisis that seems to be reaching every other part of the economy (I never got the hang of optimism). I just hope that whichever clients you are advising don't suddenly find themselves in the middle of the next burst bubble.

And once again I admire your devotion to the Microsoft corporation, it is truly admirable.

To rebut one point you made in your essay though. I am not "on the defensive". My comments in my last reply to you were merely my (maybe naive) views on what Sony is currently doing.

I happen to think that the PS3, as a piece of hardware truly, p*sses on the x-box in everything from aesthetics to potential performance, but Sony appear to have suffered on two major fronts. Firstly by trying to genuinely produce a next gen console (rather than the halfway house of the 360), and thus having to release it a year after the 360 & Wii.

Now if Sony can't ride this one out and they drop the PS3 (and assuming no-one else picks it up), then I'm sure all us Sony fanboys (and girls) will come crawling back to Microsoft with our tails between our legs, and you will be truly vindicated.

Now, I'm off to play CoD 5, and maybe see if there's any new content for Home.

im not clued up on gaming consoles at all...but I do know that I have just sold my 360 to get a PS3...i prefer a PS3 for the very reason that it is a media centre....i can download stuff on my laptop, put it on my memorystick and play it straight on my ps3...i just charge up the controller by plugging it in...and have free internet gaming so to speak....also, it has a blu ray player...

again, im no expert and could not care less if i can buy add ons to an xbox...i, like so many others just dont care and a PS3 is an all-in-one machine.....

i know if it came down to just gaming then there is nothing between them to someone like me...but with a PS3...it is more than that...

for that reason, i just cant see them dissaprearing or anything close like that....

again, im no expert then again, hardly anyone is...

im not clued up on gaming consoles at all...but I do know that I have just sold my 360 to get a PS3...i prefer a PS3 for the very reason that it is a media centre....i can download stuff on my laptop, put it on my memorystick and play it straight on my ps3...i just charge up the controller by plugging it in...and have free internet gaming so to speak....also, it has a blu ray player...

again, im no expert and could not care less if i can buy add ons to an xbox...i, like so many others just dont care and a PS3 is an all-in-one machine.....

i know if it came down to just gaming then there is nothing between them to someone like me...but with a PS3...it is more than that...

for that reason, i just cant see them dissaprearing or anything close like that....

again, im no expert then again, hardly anyone is...

Before anyone else points it out:

"i prefer a PS3 for the very reason that it is a media centre" - 360 can do everything the PS3 can in this respect.

"i can download stuff on my laptop, put it on my memorystick and play it straight on my ps3" - Same, in fact the Xbox360 supports more video codecs.

"i just charge up the controller by plugging it in" - Same, but you have to buy the cable of course.

And before you ask, yes I have both consoles.

Before anyone else points it out:

"i prefer a PS3 for the very reason that it is a media centre" - 360 can do everything the PS3 can in this respect.

"i can download stuff on my laptop, put it on my memorystick and play it straight on my ps3" - Same, in fact the Xbox360 supports more video codecs.

"i just charge up the controller by plugging it in" - Same, but you have to buy the cable of course.

And before you ask, yes I have both consoles.

did not know that...was not even aware that my old 360 had a USB port....then again, like i said, im just a gaming whore you likes pretty things....lol

did not know that...was not even aware that my old 360 had a USB port....then again, like i said, im just a gaming whore you likes pretty things....lol

:) no worries. its on the right hand side of the front panel.

(ps. i prefer my ps3 too :p)

another stupid question

can a PS3 use the internet via a wireless router..is it easy to do as virgin megia have offered to me to upgrade to 10mb broadband from 2mb for an extra £5 a month with a wireless router for £5 one off payment...

so gone with it..

yes mate

CNN really went to town on the PS3. They should come read this forum because generally it is quite positive stuff!

"Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet"

Sony's (SNE) PS3 is dying on the shelves.

Alone among the three major videogame consoles, sales of the PS3 are down about 19% from November 2007, according to the latest stats from the NPD Group. Sony was only able to sell 378,000 PS3s this November, compared to 466,000 last year.

And the problem for Sony isn't the recession, it's the PS3. Microsoft (MSFT) put up respectable numbers with its Xbox 360, selling 836,000 units vs 777,000 in November 2007. And Nintendo's (NTDOY) Wii continues to dominate the market, more than doubling sales from 981,000 to 2.04 million.

So why is the PS3 flopping so badly?

It's the most expensive console on the market, $150 - $200 more than its rivals. Even if you believe the video game industry is "recession-proof" (it isn't), a tanking economy makes consumers more price-conscious.

The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".

The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console. "LittleBigPlanet" has generated decent buzz but isn't a game-changer, and neither is Sony's new virtual world "Home."

There's really only one option left for Sony to remain in the game: deep price cuts, and not just for people with good credit. Tell yourself the PS3 has superior graphics if it makes you feel better, but a $400 console with a mediocre game library simply cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/siliconalley/personal-tech/2008_12_sonys_ps3_a_sinking_ship_sales_plummet_sne.html

That guy must be a complete raging fanboy! :)

stmarco

you seem intent on pointing out every thing wrong with a ps3...

why is that?

No i was actually pointing out that the news post has to be the most biased reporting ever. The guy truely must be the biggest fanboy!

So i was trying to be funny not slag the PS3 off.

But that is honestly it for me talking about the 360 and PS3. I have nothing against the console other then the points i mentioned earlier (price points etc..).

This is a games forum and should be talking just about the games. So i will stop being my irritating self and harping on and on about it :)

No i was actually pointing out that the news post has to be the most biased reporting ever. The guy truely must be the biggest fanboy!

So i was trying to be funny not slag the PS3 off.

But that is honestly it for me talking about the 360 and PS3. I have nothing against the console other then the points i mentioned earlier (price points etc..).

This is a games forum and should be talking just about the games. So i will stop being my irritating self and harping on and on about it :)

Marco you are so very very wrong. Cabbage was correct in the other topic with his shrewd points concerning the PS3 and Sony. Sony is not a loser company like you suggest. Go back to microsoftforums.com.

Marco you are so very very wrong. Cabbage was correct in the other topic with his shrewd points concerning the PS3 and Sony. Sony is not a loser company like you suggest. Go back to microsoftforums.com.

haha that is so bad i just don't know where to begin! How i suggest? That is the facts hypochondriac, if it upsets you go talk to Sony, losing $3Billion in 2 years does not make you a "winning company". But as i said before im serious i wont talk about either again as there is nothing else to say. Stats/facts and figures plus all of the tinternet show what i said/say is right. You may not like them, you may not agree with them, hell you can hate me all you want, call me all the names you want, but it won't change the fact what i've said is the facts and is the general opinion of the gaming/business/electronic/people etc.. community. If you want to believe what Cabbage says then again you believe that. All that means is in a year or two when it is all said and done your look just as retarded as he does. Which you already do. So i'll go back to http://www.microsoft.com as you said and you can go back to http://www.ihaveamentalageoftwo.com. That is if your mammy lets you up past 10?

haha that is so bad i just don't know where to begin! How i suggest? That is the facts hypochondriac, if it upsets you go talk to Sony, losing $3Billion in 2 years does not make you a "winning company". But as i said before im serious i wont talk about either again as there is nothing else to say. Stats/facts and figures plus all of the tinternet show what i said/say is right. You may not like them, you may not agree with them, hell you can hate me all you want, call me all the names you want, but it won't change the fact what i've said is the facts and is the general opinion of the gaming/business/electronic/people etc.. community. If you want to believe what Cabbage says then again you believe that. All that means is in a year or two when it is all said and done your look just as retarded as he does. Which you already do. So i'll go back to www.microsoft.com as you said and you can go back to www.ihaveamentalageoftwo.com. That is if your mammy lets you up past 10?

I see you are resorting to insults as you have clearly lost the argument. Cabbage knows more than you and has shown you up to be a fraud. I don't need an external link with "facts" to tell me that.

I see you are resorting to insults as you have clearly lost the argument. Cabbage knows more than you and has shown you up to be a fraud. I don't need an external link with "facts" to tell me that.

Sorry but you really must be taking the **** or something. How can being told/shown OFFICIAL NUMBERS/SALES TRENDS/COMPANY REPORTS etc.. etc... be wrong exactly? They are the correct pieces of information. Again im not quite sure you understand what it is your actually agreeing too. What i have said is what is actually happening/happened hypochondriac. The fact you don't believe them and believe anything other then them is just pure baffling. It is like say Saints win tommorow at Burnley. Say we win 1-0. It is the equivelent of me saying "we won 1-0" and you saying "no we didn't". The media watching the game recorded the entire 90mins and showed one goal, a goal to Saints. It is like saying "they are wrong". Which is just plain stupid and that is what your basically saying.

Again i will not talk about any of the consoles except for games from now on. I said at the start of the year to people don't buy a PS3 as Sony is in trouble money wise and chances are high they could go under. At the end of the year they are selling less and less consoles, sacking people,cancelling games,selling parts of the console to rival companies and shutting down the factories that make them and selling them etc.. Those things make what i said/predicted more acurate.

Again you might not like it but that is what is happening/happened. I maintain my prediction that things will get a lot worse. Why? Because it is a simple case of outgoings versus ingoings. If your outgoings are higher then your ingoings = trouble. Add to that a new financial climate where banks won't lend you money = trouble. It does not take a genius to see that...

But thats it, im done with it as i said :)

Sorry but you really must be taking the **** or something. How can being told/shown OFFICIAL NUMBERS/SALES TRENDS/COMPANY REPORTS etc.. etc... be wrong exactly? They are the correct pieces of information. Again im not quite sure you understand what it is your actually agreeing too. What i have said is what is actually happening/happened hypochondriac. The fact you don't believe them and believe anything other then them is just pure baffling. It is like say Saints win tommorow at Burnley. Say we win 1-0. It is the equivelent of me saying "we won 1-0" and you saying "no we didn't". The media watching the game recorded the entire 90mins and showed one goal, a goal to Saints. It is like saying "they are wrong". Which is just plain stupid and that is what your basically saying.

Again i will not talk about any of the consoles except for games from now on. I said at the start of the year to people don't buy a PS3 as Sony is in trouble money wise and chances are high they could go under. At the end of the year they are selling less and less consoles, sacking people,cancelling games,selling parts of the console to rival companies and shutting down the factories that make them and selling them etc.. Those things make what i said/predicted more acurate.

Again you might not like it but that is what is happening/happened. I maintain my prediction that things will get a lot worse. Why? Because it is a simple case of outgoings versus ingoings. If your outgoings are higher then your ingoings = trouble. Add to that a new financial climate where banks won't lend you money = trouble. It does not take a genius to see that...

But thats it, im done with it as i said :)

I think it is obvious to everyone who has won this particular disagreement.

well thats good for everyone then isn't it. Me personally i couldn't give a **** :)

i am actually quite shocked at how short that post is. thought you only wrote in paragraphs:D na seriously st marco my only problem is that you only report on negative sony news. and thats why you come across as a fan boy. you read something bad about sony or ps3. never do you report on negative microsoft news. that is what a lot of people are trying to say. i mean im sure theres at least one bad thing about the xbox you could have wrote about. fact is i dont care wether my ps3 is made by sony, microsoft or asda i brought it when i had the money to. i could have brought an xbox or a ps3. but i chose the ps3 because i preferred it. and by the way sony is a massive company and i think the computer part only makes up a small percentage of sony. and were are in a recession. and some company's have been hit and others haven't. e.g. woolworths have argos hasn't etc