Arsenal vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

Beaten by a better team in City. Time to take the soiled knickers off and stick them in the wash because the games are coming thick and fast.

Wednesday night trip to the M rats. I'd be tempted to start Long instead of Mane. Hopefully Morgan is fit and Cork recovers from his illness.

Southamptons thrashing by Man City has shown that their top 4 creditials are nothing more than pipedreams. They've been shown up everytime they've faced one of the big boys, they were poor against Villla and worse against City, i can't see it getting any better at the emirates. Arsenal have flattered to decieve at times this season but they have to come good sometime and I think they will against the saints.

Dorkish prediction

Arsenal 4 soton 0

I told myself. that from these 3 fixtures, we'd get 4 points. Dream is still alive! I expected a loss against City, a draw vs the Arsenal and a win vs United. Here is hoping I'm right haha

Hmm...I did predict 1 point from 4 starting with Villa. We have to get back to winning ways after these very difficult fixtures and probably will, but I think like last season we will be dawdle over the finish line as opposed to the sprint we have witnessed.

Southamptons thrashing by Man City has shown that their top 4 creditials are nothing more than pipedreams. They've been shown up everytime they've faced one of the big boys, they were poor against Villla and worse against City, i can't see it getting any better at the emirates. Arsenal have flattered to decieve at times this season but they have to come good sometime and I think they will against the saints.

Dorkish prediction

Arsenal 4 soton 0

I agree with all of this. We did beat them in the COC though (perhaps they weren't really going for it). Think Arsenal 2 Southampton 0 though.

Reckon we will improve on today's performance and Arsenal are not remotely near as good as City. Tough game still but with increasing pressure on Wenger to leave by their fans it could provide a nice distraction. Start well and put pressure on them and their fans will quickly become frustrated.

2-2 entertaining draw.

How many are we taking up there?

Reckon we will improve on today's performance and Arsenal are not remotely near as good as City. Tough game still but with increasing pressure on Wenger to leave by their fans it could provide a nice distraction. Start well and put pressure on them and their fans will quickly become frustrated.

2-2 entertaining draw.

How many are we taking up there?

Roughly 2,900.

Let's not forget Arsenal are having a pretty torrid time as far as injuries are going at the moment. So long as we have one of Cork/Schneiderlin fit for the game then we can dominate the midfield. Do that against Arsenal and they don't have a plan B. We can get something there. Even if we don't and we go and lose to United and all we'll still be fourth come the Burnley game so let's not get downhearted just yet.

Oh and does anyone know what's going on with Gardos? Would've assumed he would be in front of Yoshida in the pecking order.

Think we'll give it a good go but narrowly lose, would start Long over Mane, and get Toby and Fonte back at CB. Hopefully Morgan makes it, if not Cork to come in.

Tadic and Pelle been poor last few weeks, we need them to turn up for this or we won't score, COYS

I'm with you on the line up but I think we can go there and win. They're not in the same league as City, especially with their injuries.

But we need to field our best starting line up. Regardless of the Cork or Schneiderlin decision, that - for me - means Long on the right, Tadic on the left and Mané on the bench. Mané's another fart in a thunderstorm - it's all right saying he's unpredictable for our opponents but we don't have any idea what he's going to do either, and our key guys are scrambling to get out of his way. Someone needs to have a word in his ear - as in "use your pace out wide and stop keep cutting inside, destroying our shape and negating Pelle and our forward midfielders." No wonder Tadic and Pelle have gone off the boil.

I'm gonna play the controversial card with this one and suggest that we should 'rest' Pelle and give Long a crack at centre forward.

So....assuming Morgan won't be 100% and Cork has recovered from his illness, I'd go for:

Forster

Clyne - Fonte - Alderwerield - Bertrand

Cork - Wanyama - Davis

Mane - Long - Tadic

Subs: K Davis, Yoshida, Gardos, Reed, Schneiderlin, Pelle, Mayuka

Don't think people will be dropped because in midfield and attack the only two players who don't start every game are Long (often underwhelming when he does start and a better sub IMO) and Cork who will probably start anyway if Morgan is out.

We have no attacking options to give someone like Tadic a rest.

Beaten by a better team in City. Time to take the soiled knickers off and stick them in the wash because the games are coming thick and fast.

Wednesday night trip to the M rats. I'd be tempted to start Long instead of Mane. Hopefully Morgan is fit and Cork recovers from his illness.

I don't understand at least 2 phrases used in this OP.

Of the three "tough games" this and the Man U game are the most important with the Utd game being the biggest of the three as the league (and the top two places) being between Man City and Chelsea. 3rd fourth and fifth could well be between us, Arsenal and Utd. They understand this and as such we should treat these games as cup finals.

Avoiding defeat against Arsenal plus a win against Utd would be fantastic results and consolidate some space between us and fifth. It wouldnt surprise to see us sit a little deeper against Arse with a view to hit them on the break with Mane and Long (I thought Mane looked better in the ten minutes before he came off when he seemed to take up a more central position). Schneiderlin coming back against Utd at home makes us stronger and avoids the risk of a ban in the biggest game of the three.

I would give Long a run down the middle as I reckon he could worry them with his movement. After watching chambers get the run around at Swansea I would persist with Mane , if chambers looks like he'll be full back.

Bloke next to me reckoned victor is out with 5 bookings, but haven't seen anything, so must be wrong.

I would give Long a run down the middle as I reckon he could worry them with his movement. After watching chambers get the run around at Swansea I would persist with Mane , if chambers looks like he'll be full back.

Bloke next to me reckoned victor is out with 5 bookings, but haven't seen anything, so must be wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton

BBC shows Big Vic as having 2 Yellows. Actually not bad considering the type of player he is.

We definitely missed a trick not putting Morgan back on for 30 seconds in the first half and getting him to puck up a booking. :)

Although there is a benefit to that as he is injured anyway for the Arsenal game, there is also a negative in that it adds to his total and moves him closer to the 10 yellow card total which would see him suspended for 2 games.

I keep reading that Arsenal are having a rubbish time with injuries, but who apart from Wilshire are they missing? (and he's not exactly much of a miss).

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

so according to this site,

N Monreal, Arteta, Szczesny, Wilshere, Walcott, Ospina, Ozil, and Debuchy are all out

Time to take a leaf of out Sunderland's book (vs Chelsea) and defend like hell. Park the bus for 85 mins, play on the break.

Don't think it's a case of taking leaves out of anyone else's book, we need to get some rendement from our front 3, the problem lies there within, they just aren't performing so they give the opposition more men to shut the other players down, I'd drop Pellé, just not doing anything, same as his first few games with us really, trouble is we have no alternative., I suppose that's down to JRods recent setback.

Don't think it's a case of taking leaves out of anyone else's book, we need to get some rendement from our front 3, the problem lies there within, they just aren't performing so they give the opposition more men to shut the other players down, I'd drop Pellé, just not doing anything, same as his first few games with us really, trouble is we have no alternative., I suppose that's down to JRods recent setback.

#

Which definition of 'rendement' do you wish to use Windows?

Think this is game will be another test. We've lost our spark in the last few games and several players look scared yesterday and not up for the fight. Massively disappointing to see after our good start.It's going to be a night to forget. Arsenal 5 Saints 1.

I don't think it's a case of being scared or not up for the fight, I think it's rather a case of players being worn down by having played virtually every match and internationals to boot. We have no alternative options, what ou see is what ou get so those that are on their 20th or so match since August are beginning to look frayed at the edges. RK needs to understand that the League Cup is for the youth team and fringe players only. If you can win with that you do if you can't well tough titty.

Think this is game will be another test. We've lost our spark in the last few games and several players look scared yesterday and not up for the fight. Massively disappointing to see after our good start.It's going to be a night to forget. Arsenal 5 Saints 1.

I'm not going to bother going after reading that. Probably stay at home, drink whisky and bosh a few painkillers instead.

Forster

Clyne Fonte Toby Bertrand

Wanyama Davis/Cork

Mane Tadic Long

Pelle

Worked well against Villa having that front 4. Davis is not DM (unless a crisis).

Replace Morgan with Cork and Mane with Long, otherwise same starting line up as yesterday. Assuming Davis is fit, otherwise Harry Reed in for Davis.

I don't think it's a case of being scared or not up for the fight, I think it's rather a case of players being worn down by having played virtually every match and internationals to boot. We have no alternative options, what ou see is what ou get so those that are on their 20th or so match since August are beginning to look frayed at the edges. RK needs to understand that the League Cup is for the youth team and fringe players only. If you can win with that you do if you can't well tough titty.

Possibly, but so many times there were half hearted attempts at tackles, Big Vic looked to be our only player giving it 100%. If Yoshida plays we are in massive, massive trouble, he's out of his depth at this level

Which is why we should have engineered a discreet exit from the League Cup.