the Danny Ings thread ----yet again

david in sweden

Even if Burnley would sell, what's his agents advice likely to be? If he waits till end of season, as a free his signing on fee will be higher and I would have thought his wages will also reflect this. Therefore not only will we need to overpay a transfer fee, we'll probably have to overpay the player as well. Great way to do business.

If there is any truth in this then it suggests to me that he is likely to be on our radar (Black Box) as if Tottenham have targeted him then surely Paul Mitchell has had an awful lot to do with it. His being at the match yesterday is very interesting. If we want him now we will have to over pay, but his goals could be pivotal in getting us into the top 4 so surely that would be well worth the money?

I love how everyone thinks that him being a fan is going to play a vital part in any hypothetical deal. Is this not the age of players showing no loyalty that we all moan about?

Let's be realistic - six days until the window closes. Burnley have said they won't sell, if they were tempted to they'd have bugger all time to find a replacement. I'm going to boldly say it's not going to happen.

And suddenly the answer is Danny ****ing ings? We haven't been relegated yet have we?

If he wasnt a saints fan there wouldnt be this clamour for him. He isnt a natural replacement to Pellè, he could potentially play wide but we have Jay Rod, Ellia, manè and Tadic.

Besides, Burnley would want a reasonably high fee for him considering the pressure of them avoiding relegation. Theres better out there that would actually be a reasonable back up to Pellè and so would fit the way we play

If he wasnt a saints fan there wouldnt be this clamour for him. He isnt a natural replacement to Pellè, he could potentially play wide but we have Jay Rod, Ellia, manè and Tadic.

Besides, Burnley would want a reasonably high fee for him considering the pressure of them avoiding relegation. Theres better out there that would actually be a reasonable back up to Pellè and so would fit the way we play

It's Lukas Jutkiewicz/Sam Vokes all over again.

For what it's worth, I think he's decent. But no more than that.

I love how everyone thinks that him being a fan is going to play a vital part in any hypothetical deal. Is this not the age of players showing no loyalty that we all moan about?

Let's be realistic - six days until the window closes. Burnley have said they won't sell, if they were tempted to they'd have bugger all time to find a replacement. I'm going to boldly say it's not going to happen.

Window close Monday night 2nd Feb

If he's a "massive Saints fan" he would not even consider going to Spurs.

Not sure that that is actually the case. Players seem to be able to separate who they support and who employs them. You and I, if we were to play football, have the romantic notion of only playing for the club we support and the idea of pulling on another shirt, especially of a club we dislike, is totally alien. But for £10-20k a week more, I am sure that I could be prepared to swallow my pride for a bit.

It's Lukas Jutkiewicz/Sam Vokes all over again.

For what it's worth, I think he's decent. But no more than that.

I think he's a great talent actually, nothing to do with him being a saints fan. He's a Rodriguez replacement and on a free this summer would be a great signing

If he's a "massive Saints fan" he would not even consider going to Spurs.

Why? They aren't local rivals. I'm a massive Saints fan but I'd more than consider going from Burnley to Spurs. If Saints were interested too, then I'd probably go there in the current set up. But that might not be the case.

I'm not so sure, he has a few other prerequisites of a saints forum signing. Slightly Pacy, young, hungry so therefore guarenteed to improve and seems like a nice sort of bloke who would clap the fans, decent at a lower level. Kind of a what Adam Le Fondre could have been type signing.

We ought to stop dithering about and get him in. If Long is worth £12 million then Ings must be worth more than that.

He's worth more than that to Burnley. Who do we buy with £12m? Ross McCormack? Jordan Rhodes? Staying up is worth £70m. Sell Ings, we lose our chance at that £70m, we alienate the fans, we make the manager cross and probably incline him to leave, we annoy the other players who see their chance of survival diminish. And at least one of the reasons Ings hasn't signed a new contract is because he knows that a club that pays only a tribunal transfer fee, can afford to pay a large signing-in fee - so he doesn't want to go for £12m anyway.

Burnley are projected to make a profit of £30m this season as things stand - largely because we couldn't find players who would fit into the squad at the right sort of salary. So we decided to go with what we had, plus Boyd and Keane (and a few reserves), because you can't buy team spirit. The point is, we're not strapped for cash. There's no need to sell Ings just for the money.

Offer £15-£20m, you might have a chance. But no-one's going to offer that sort of money for a man out of contract in summer, even if he does have a tribunal value. And clubs know that the size of offers already received is taken into account by the tribunal committee - so making a huge offer might just affect the amount you have to pay later.

The BBC has the story about the Liverpool link now. They don't tend to put rumours on their main news page, so it must have substance. In a really stupid way, if Ings goes to Liverpool it will feel like another defection, after the way everyone on here talks as if he's one of our own, and the fact it's Liverpool.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31054584

The BBC story says nothing about Ings moving to Liverpool. It just says that Liverpool will make a bid to sign him.

I doubt they would pay a big enough premium to make it worth Burnley's while, and I doubt Ings would want to go anyway - not if he wants to play for England. Sitting in Liverpool reserves behind Sturridge, Sterling, and their new big summer signing (I'm sure they'll splash out in summer), isn't going to get him an England place.

The BBC story says nothing about Ings moving to Liverpool. It just says that Liverpool will make a bid to sign him.

I doubt they would pay a big enough premium to make it worth Burnley's while, and I doubt Ings would want to go anyway - not if he wants to play for England. Sitting in Liverpool reserves behind Sturridge, Sterling, and their new big summer signing (I'm sure they'll splash out in summer), isn't going to get him an England place.

Liverpool allegedly want to sign him now and the loan him back to Burnley for the rest of the season.....That makes no sense to me at all why bother?

If a deal to buy him now and loan him back - a "sale and leaseback" - is attractive to Burnley (which the link suggests is what Liverpool will offer) then we should make that offer too. He is a Saints supporter and may be of interest.

Getting something in for Ings AND having him play for them all season is a winner for Burnley.

Liverpool allegedly want to sign him now and the loan him back to Burnley for the rest of the season.....That makes no sense to me at all why bother?

It gets his signature NOW rather than standing in line at the end of the season with all the other suitors. Yes, if we know he will sign for us at the end of the season, no need to fork out £15M at all, just a modest signing on fee to the player who would be available. Do we risk it?

It gets his signature NOW rather than standing in line at the end of the season with all the other suitors. Yes, if we know he will sign for us at the end of the season, no need to fork out £15M at all, just a modest signing on fee to the player who would be available. Do we risk it?

there would still be a few million to pay but what ever club gets him on a 'free'

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/30/burnley-liverpool-danny-ings

Burnley have denied reports that Liverpool could sign the striker Danny Ings and loan him back to the Clarets for the rest of the season, stating such a move would be against Premier League rules.

Liverpool have been the latest club to show interest in the England Under-21 striker, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

In a statement on the club’s website, the Burnley chief executive, Lee Hoos, said: “This type of move would violate Premier League rule V7 regarding transfers so simply cannot happen.”

"In a statement on the club’s website, the Burnley chief executive, Lee Hoos, said....."

IIRC, isn't he ex-Saints? We need to call in favours :)

He was indeed.

I was one of many supporters who met him around the time of "the Lets Go Wilde" carve up..

He was a nice guy though.