January 2015 HCDAJFU

Lighthouse

Rickie will be out on loan come January, go get him as back up for Pelle hes going to be at the bottom of a long list by then

But will he? He has gone 'home', Gone full circle. Rejected by Liverpool as a lad, became a journeyman footballer until landed on a ladder (in snakes and ladders terms) with Southampton. He proved his capability with us, such that his boyhood club had to pay to get him back.

I honestly think he going back to Liverpool is the final chapter in the story. I just can't see him going on loan to anyone, be it Saints or even Tranmere Rovers. But I would love it if he would do another half season with us. Just can't see it happening.

But will he? He has gone 'home', Gone full circle. Rejected by Liverpool as a lad, became a journeyman footballer until landed on a ladder (in snakes and ladders terms) with Southampton. He proved his capability with us, such that his boyhood club had to pay to get him back.

I honestly think he going back to Liverpool is the final chapter in the story. I just can't see him going on loan to anyone, be it Saints or even Tranmere Rovers. But I would love it if he would do another half season with us. Just can't see it happening.

I think it's a bit of a taint in all honesty if his story begins AND ends with him failing at Liverpool.

Wonder why he's kept his house in north baddesly then?

This idea is growing on me. Lambert would be excellent back up to pelle still and we don't have that. He'd have to be like Kelvin Davis - sit on the bench, accept he isn't first choice, he may even be third choice.

Who knows after that, he can strike a ball better than most, and is a very intelligent footballer. Could have a sheringham at west ham role for saints

I really don't see the appeal in Lambert. If we're going for sentimentality why not offer Pahars a 6 month deal?

I know Liverpool haven't exactly got the best out of him but he hasn't really seized his opportunity their either. He isn't scoring and despite Liverpool having terrible options up front, he hasn't really imposed himself as their first choice striker.

We were trying to replace him for 2 seasons, first with Osvaldo and now with Pelle. In the second half of last season he looked knackered and well off the pace and he isn't getting any younger. Lets move on shall we.

To put it another way: I really hope pelle doesn't get injured as, aside from Gallagher who hasn't been seen in months, we have no direct back up.

J rod was never comfortable as a lone front man. Long I prefer as a wider option or as part of two.

What you get with Lambert is what we got from him last year, lack of mobility but a talisman, creative player who brings others in, and given a chance can finish. He has not changed in those few months.

I'm happy to get someone in who is better than Lambert, so long as it's not no one!

I'll admit it, I like Fairy Stories. Lambert was a legend for us, he always will be but like another poster said, his story has come full circle. To come back here would be ruining the Fairy Story a bit. His time with us came to an end 6 months ago, it was very sad but we all got over it and besides anything else he's not better than Pelle and we also have Long and Gallagher for cover there, not to mention J-Rod coming back. I know the above poster has addressed those options and I wouldn't mind us bringing in someone who can play as a lone striker but I really don't think that someone is Lambert. I don't think getting Lambert back would make sense on anyone's part tbh.

I think he'll retire with Liverpool. As a player that is, I'd love to see him back here in some sort of coaching capacity one day.

I think we are agreeing. Almost. I've suggested babacar or bamford on here, both of which I'd prefer to a Lambert return.

Bamford would be interesting - I was at SMS when he completely destroyed our youth team when playing for Nottm Forest. Chelsea signed him about a week after that game. Seems to have done well in the Championship so far, would be tempted to let him have another season at that level before bringing him into the squad though, and he would need to work on the physical aspect of his game to cut it in the Prem.

Lambert, however much I love the guy, shouldn't come back. He moved to Liverpool for sentiment, so playing time shouldn't really come into his career decisions too much.

So he stays on Liverpool's bench until retirement.....or (were it an option, which I don't think it will be) he comes back to us and regains fitness, form and game time with the possibility of this being noted by Brenda and thus giving him another fair crack at first team football with the scousers. I don't think SRL is stupid enough to be happy with warming the bench with the odd cup start or impact substitution until he retires, just because they're his boyhood club. Regardless of where (and if) he goes surely playing the game is still what he'd want over misty eyed sentiment towards LFC. Just my Xmas eve opinion.

So he stays on Liverpool's bench until retirement.....or (were it an option, which I don't think it will be) he comes back to us and regains fitness, form and game time with the possibility of this being noted by Brenda and thus giving him another fair crack at first team football with the scousers. I don't think SRL is stupid enough to be happy with warming the bench with the odd cup start or impact substitution until he retires, just because they're his boyhood club. Regardless of where (and if) he goes surely playing the game is still what he'd want over misty eyed sentiment towards LFC. Just my Xmas eve opinion.

That rationale I do agree with. If Rickie can talk Brenda into stamping his leave pass, such that Brenda can see it as a win/win/win for all parties, then it might happen. Everyone's a winner, as Delboy used to say.

Richie is a playmaker and lies deeper than Koeman likes (if Pelle is anything to go by). Take away his pens - Koeman expects more goals from open play from his front man that Rickie would deliver. He is also now not mobile enough.

Agreed, you would be taking Rickie out of his comfort zone, retraining him as a proper target/hold up man, rather than a deep dropping forward who drifts around the front 4.

Richie is a playmaker and lies deeper than Koeman likes (if Pelle is anything to go by). Take away his pens - Koeman expects more goals from open play from his front man that Rickie would deliver. He is also now not mobile enough.

You weren't the screaming banshee who sat the row behind me in block 35 kingsland who called lambert Richie Lampard for his entire first season with us were you?

If Elia is our only signing , a winger who is petulant and generally very poor in front of goal then I will be very disappointed . Mane is atrocious and Mayuka is worse . With them both away we are very short .

Really wished we had given Seager a run out already . Scoring goals is a very real issue for us

If Elia is our only signing , a winger who is petulant and generally very poor in front of goal then I will be very disappointed . Mane is atrocious and Mayuka is worse . With them both away we are very short .

Really wished we had given Seager a run out already . Scoring goals is a very real issue for us

Maybe today is the day!

We dont seem to be getting anybody in according to the Echo http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11685728.Saints_ready_to_complete_January_business/?ref=twt

Koemann makes a decent case

Daily Echo jumping to conclusions, maybe we will sign more than one attacker. Also RK never mentioned goal keeper position, only midfield and defender. He also actually said we would not sell in January to a specific question about Morgan, it was not a generic answer.

Can we not sign him on a pre-contract in January? Swear it's 6 months left on a contract on FM (unless MLG has lied to us)....

I don't think we can sign other premier league club's players during the season. We can sign players from other countries whose contracts are expiring. I am basing this on how things work in Football Manager. I have not researched the rules.

Can we not sign him on a pre-contract in January? Swear it's 6 months left on a contract on FM (unless MLG has lied to us)....

We have had this discussion many times, it"s in the last 6 months for overseas clubs and after the end of the season for other UK clubs. Unless something has changed recently of course, got my doubts now, perhaps Irene could fill us in here, I mean she must know right ?

Edited by Window Cleaner

Surprised no-one here picked up on this report when it was published about three weeks ago. It seems the only link for Southampton according to BBC "pundits", even they are not stupid enough to link Morgan with a transfer out given that its clearly a done deal that he will stay until at least the end of the season.

that is what we spent £12m on long for. to fill in that role when required

I'm not convinced he was bought as an 'out and out' goalscorer. Pretty hopeful, if not naive, if he was given his track record of something like 1 goal in 4 matches.