Stockholm in January

Saint_Abroad

Flights to Stockholm are cheap next month and I could use a few days out of the country so I ask our Swedish Saints and those familiar, how is Stockholm in January (sometime between the 3rd & 4th week)? I know it's dark and cold which doesn't brother me, interested to see Scandinavia and some snow would make it even better.

Thanks

(Mods, can we start a travel section on the forum?)

with the benefit of 30 years living in Stockholm .....the Winter forecast ....is always a bit uncertain?

Traditional Stockholm winter. I say Stockholm..... because Sweden is over 1000 miles N-S, and there are 3 different climate zones. The very north can be very cold.

First snowfall comes late November, a slight thaw before Christmas and then new snow early January. Temperatures -5 to -10 deg C. (which is not unpleasant if you are warmly-clothed and the air is dry).

Snow comes intermittantly, usually after I've cleared snow away from the front of the house - several times, and may continue on /off until March (if we're lucky). around 5-6 daylight hours.

The climate change has it UP side, too....and for the last few years, we've little or no show before Christmas - and rarely a frost, and temps stay around 0C.. but yes it is dark and a bit cold.

As long as the mild winter continues, there's likely to be little problem. but a snowfall of 6-10 inches can dampen your enthusiam - unless you love winter sports, but the Swedes are usually pretty efficient (in Stockholm-at least) with a fleet of snow-ploughs that start to clear it away at 4 o'clock in the morning - before most people start going to work.

Stockholm's transport system is normally excellent, with trains and buses integrated - so you'll only need to walk 100 yards or so to change connections. You'll need to buy a SJ travel card (smart card like Oyster in London) as you can't pay cash on any transport in the city).It's good value and gives you unlimited travel on, underground (T-bana), or commuter train (J)and buses.

WARNING. You'd probably fly into Arlanda which is 40 miles north of Stockholm. You can get a FLYGBUSS (bus transfer to Stockholm) for £10 fare and 45 minute journey in to Central Stockholm.

If you're thinking about travelling RYANAIR or a " cheapie airline", they only go to SKAVSTA (which is 1½ hours south and a boring bus ride into Stockholm) -not so cheap -in the end.

Best advice -pay the bit extra and get a decent flight with BA or the Swedish airline SAS. (BA may give you free food in flight, but SAS charge £5 for a snack) but the service is always excellent on both.

Stockholm is expensive- even compared with London, so if you get serious about the trip ....PM me and I'll give you more info.

regards David Cross Stockholm.

Edited by david in sweden

I used to go there a lot around Christmas time (ex was Swedish) and loved it. A few degrees difference in the weather can turn Stockholm from being cold grey and damp into crisp, white, bright and magical. Either way all of these things are well worth doing whatever the weather:

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/

http://www.stampen.se/

http://www.ardbegembassy.se/

http://www.stromma.se/en/Stockholm/The-Archipelago/Day-trips/Archipelago-tour-with-guide (book it with lunch)

http://www.stromma.se/en/Stockholm/Sightseeing/Sightseeing-by-boat/Stockholm-Winter-Tour/

http://www.skansen.se/en/kategori/english

ps its really not that expensive either. Sure things you are used to being cheap like Macdonalds and beer in bars are expensive but hotels will be far cheaper in January / February than most other capital cities and you can get a great lunch in places like this http://www.bistrobestick.se/ for about the same price as a big mac. imo it doesnt matter if beer is £8 pint if you can get a central 4* hotel on the waterfront for £80pn.

You should go to Uppsala too, beautiful old university city about 40 mins by train from Stockholm or about 20 mins from the airport.

Edited by buctootim

We went to Stockholm for the England game in 2012. It was in the winter and was dark for all but about 2 hours a day. Looked like a nice place, but it's hard to appreciate in pitch black and in the freezing cold. Sure it would be a different case in the summer though when there’s only about an hour of darkness! Had that in Norway and it was surreal. Walking out from a club at 3 in the morning with the sun shining.

Thanks for the info. While I'm not going strictly for the Vasa Museum, when I saw the Vasa Museum on television I knew I had to go to Stockholm.

Given the choice, would anyone take Copenhagen over Stockholm? I enjoy history, architecture, museums, etc so I appreciate the insight.

Given the choice, would anyone take Copenhagen over Stockholm? I enjoy history, architecture, museums, etc so I appreciate the insight.

Personally I wouldnt. The only part of Copenhagen Ive found I really liked is Nyhavn, which is great for a stroll and a drink but not enough for a trip. If you are planning a longish trip you could also catch a ferry from Stockholm to Gotland which is very historic. The days are short this time of year, but not that short. Late january its about 7.5-8 hours between sunrise and sunset - around 8am - 4pm.

The real question is whether you'll be able to fully appreciate Stockholm's women at this time of year.

exactly .

honestly the whole country changes from summer to winter mode. you just have to visit during the fantastic summer months when everyone is feeling good and the place is absolutely buzzing. Its still a nice place during the dark months but the people are much more reserved and downbeat.

My tips for a cold january trip is eastern europe. Bukarest or Krakow for example. Save sweden for July. Then you have loads of things to do that dont cost too much like the parks, islands, etc. During winter its gonna be even more expensive. And believe me, its expensive!

Hejdå från Göteborg

Flights to Stockholm are cheap next month and I could use a few days out of the country so I ask our Swedish Saints and those familiar, how is Stockholm in January (sometime between the 3rd & 4th week)? I know it's dark and cold which doesn't brother me, interested to see Scandinavia and some snow would make it even better.

Thanks

(Mods, can we start a travel section on the forum?)

The local russian embassy should see you right

Heading there with the gf end of Feb for her birthday. Stupidly booked the Ryanair flights without realising just quite how far away the airport is - though compared to other flight times it shouldn't make too much difference in terms of time lost. Only there for 2 nights/3 days so would appreciate any advice on places to go/things to see. Any hotel recommendations would be welcome as well. Ta x

Heading there with the gf end of Feb for her birthday. Stupidly booked the Ryanair flights without realising just quite how far away the airport is - though compared to other flight times it shouldn't make too much difference in terms of time lost. Only there for 2 nights/3 days so would appreciate any advice on places to go/things to see. Any hotel recommendations would be welcome as well. Ta x

I use the Queens hotel in Drottingatan (spelt wrong!) It is relatively cheap, clean and comfortable. It is also right in the centre of Stockholm.