Saints 1 Man Utd 2 - Post Match Meltdown

St Chalet

the truth hurts and so you throw childish insults. The performance Man U did tonight was the worst I have seen, and I saw them in their relegation season. It's all very easy to say we're 5th blah blah blah, but it was about tonight. A team in 5 th should have beaten that poor Utd side.

And the fact we didn't prompted your ludicrous verdict...listen to what Van Gaal said...

And in the morning you will, maybe, see the 'truth'....and think 'So that's what a hysterical reaction looks like'

Our lack of squad depth is glaring, mane clearly needs a rest he was truly awful but there is no one to replace him. Ending the game relying on him and Mayuka is never ideal..

Had someone at the beginning of the season offered us 5th place after 15 games having played city, arsenal and utd we'd all have taken that. It's just so disappointing after the start we had.

very true points

And the fact we didn't prompted your ludicrous verdict...listen to what Van Gaal said...

And in the morning you will, maybe, see the 'truth'....and think 'So that's what a hysterical reaction looks like'

so you are saying you have seen It'd put in worst performances at our place before, that we didn't end up with 2 headless chickens up front , that our 12 m forward has trouble scoring and our keeper doesn't come for balls? Even Koeman said Long missed and that he intimated that FF was at fault. No drama there just fair assessment. You should wake in the morning and see the truth. We are all frustrated as we messed up, and missed a great opportunity. I have to face a load of patronising Man U fans this week telling me how unlucky we were etc, but laughing up their sleeves as they do Edited by OldNick

Reed could have come on alongside Wanyama and released Davis to play further up the field?

Got to say, if I was Reed, I'd be thinking if I didn't get a game tonight with Morgan, Cork, Toby, JWP all out, I probably never will.

Agree completely. Should be asking for a loan move if the manager has zero faith in him.

I think that puts us five points worse off than the equivalent games against the top 6 'rivals' (LFC, Spurs, MU, MC, Arse) this season which is pretty disappointing considering how poor three of those teams are. Really need to reverse the slide at the weekend. This will show us how good the new team and manager really are.

Koeman: "City were better than us but Arsenal and Utd weren't. They punished our mistakes but we didn't punish theirs. That's the difference at this level - small details"

This is exactly it.

We have a small squad and are so dependent on Schneiderlin for our shape and style of play. Take him and his replacement Cork out of the picture, lose the extremely solid Toby in defence and we are going to find it hard to beat the likes of City, Arsenal and United. But we gave it a good go against the last two.

Why everyone loses their **** when we don't bulldoze every game I just don't know.

Rolled over my arse. We held our own against Arsenal until the very end, and were the better team tonight. A couple of mistakes is not rolling over.

We've lost to Spurs, liverpool, city, Utd, arsenal. Just Chelsea to complete the full sweep. We capitulated to an abysmal man Utd team tonight, that was atrocious. Can gaal is laughing all the way back to Manchester.

so you are saying you have seen It'd put in worst performances at our place before, that we didn't end up with 2 headless chickens up front , that our 12 m forward has trouble scoring and our keeper doesn't come for balls? Even Koeman said Long missed and that he intimated that FF was at fault. No drama there just cold facts

Don't think anyone was under the illusion Long is a finisher. FF error was schoolboy, needs help from coaching staff quick. How long until JRod is back?

They were there for the taking, they should have been done and dusted. They were beyond abysmal, how did we let them get 2 goals? Absolutely horrific, both goals. Lower league stuff, both of them.

Our general play was not deserving of that, not at all.

Still, 5th at this stage of the season is somewhat staggering considering what has gone on, so let's not get too upset.

The one genuine world class player on the field won the match.

We lack real quality in the final third, which is why we have lost to three teams who are fortunate to possess these gifted and rare individuals.

In the cold light of day we will realise that we were the better team, but two key defenders made dreadful decisions both of which chances fell to RVP.

We are still well capable of beating all except a handful of teams in the Prem.

What more can you expect for a team in transition that almost went out of business a few years ago.

Take a reality check and consider whether any of these global superstars would come to us even if we could afford them.Still one of the most frustrating and annoying games I've ever watched Saints play and with our record for snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory that's saying something.

One good point- Rooney got very frustrated and was kept out of the game.

Koeman: "City were better than us but Arsenal and Utd weren't. They punished our mistakes but we didn't punish theirs. That's the difference at this level - small details"

This would seem to indicate our players are

1. Not good enough

2. Just don't learn anything from previous defeats and games.

I find it frustrating that over the last three games we seem to repeat the same stupid mistakes. Mind you I suppose against Burnley they won't get punished as much or at all and we will get a win and then it'll be 'we can qualify for the Champions League' nonsense again.

Football actually ****es me off and leaves me depressed more often than it makes me happy and looking forward to it....

Ho hum, as it ever was...

We've lost to Spurs, liverpool, city, Utd, arsenal. Just Chelsea to complete the full sweep. We capitulated to an abysmal man Utd team tonight, that was atrocious. Can gaal is laughing all the way back to Manchester.

Do you watch stats or games? If you think the sole defining characteristic of a game is the result , I doubt you enjoy football much.

This is exactly it.

We have a small squad and are so dependent on Schneiderlin for our shape and style of play. Take him and his replacement Cork out of the picture, lose the extremely solid Toby in defence and we are going to find it hard to beat the likes of City, Arsenal and United. But we gave it a good go against the last two.

Why everyone loses their **** when we don't bulldoze every game I just don't know.

personally it is frustration that we should have won at a canter

Don't think anyone was under the illusion Long is a finisher. FF error was schoolboy, needs help from coaching staff quick. How long until JRod is back?

Solent said he was walking about the training ground with a crutch yesterday so it'll be a while I think

so you are saying you have seen It'd put in worst performances at our place before, that we didn't end up with 2 headless chickens up front , that our 12 m forward has trouble scoring and our keeper doesn't come for balls? Even Koeman said Long missed and that he intimated that FF was at fault. No drama there just fair assessment. You should wake in the morning and see the truth. We are all frustrated as we messed up, and missed a great opportunity. I have to face a load of patronising Man U fans this week telling me how unlucky we were etc, but laughing up their sleeves as they do

We all have to face the plastics in the morning...get a grip! I don't recall Koeman mentioning decapitated chickens, consistent goalkeepers who have let in less goals than the PL counterparts or strikers that don't always score all their chances...he deals in facts, as you like to think you do..

Take him and his replacement Cork out of the picture, lose the extremely solid Toby in defence and we are going to find it hard to beat the likes of City, Arsenal and United.

Not tonight, though. We didn't find it hard to dominate United because they were ready to hand us the game on a plate, but we didn't take it.

We've beaten much tougher opposition than that this season. Only easier opponents in my book (in the league) have been Newcastle, Sunderland and West Brom.

Edited by DuncanRG

We all have to face the plastics in the morning...get a grip! I don't recall Koeman mentioning decapitated chickens, consistent goalkeepers who have let in less goals than the PL counterparts or strikers that don't always score all their chances...he deals in facts, as you like to think you do..
no manager would say such things but he picked out Long for his misses, which did surprise me, he also intimated about FF. Unfortunately there is a pattern to the lack of commanding the area or sweeping through balls from our keeper. Is there an embargo on giving honest opinions on here?

I'm frustrated, believe me. We have to start scoring some of these chances, especially when we have to work so hard for them. But for some to say we were abysmal is ridiculous.

I never said we were abysmal,we should have put them to the sword.

Pelle was back something like his best tonight and I thought Tadic was decent. Davis and Wanyama did well and some of our passing moves were great, often until someone realised they needed to have a shot.

Need to take chances obviously and Long especially just has no composure. Still think he was a bizarre signing at that sort of money, especially given the role we ask him to play. For me Long should be an impact sub.

Key for me is to get Morgan back and return to the proper 3 man midfield which then allows the full backs to get forward which is really our main differential versus many other teams.

Will also be nice to get JWP back as the bench was horrendously lacking in options. No chance of that squad being top 4 because there are no options to change a game. Very thin squad. Mayuka pointless and no other forward options which is backwards on even our first PL season.

Finally on players, Forster....so hesitant going off his line. Should have done against City and had to make a worldie save from Aguero and then today for the first goal he really could have got the ball if he had rushed out. Then he never comes and claims balls into the box with any authority. Better than Boruc? Not for me so far.

Burnley probably our most "must win" game of the season so far to shift the momentum again, with tough games home to Everton and Chelsea and away to Palace to come.

Could easily be 4th on Jan 1st and equally easily 8th. Big spell coming up.

Also worth tempering expectations with the facts that we have lost to Liverpool, Spurs, City, Arsenal and United this season so far. Hardly horrendous but equally not the sign that a team is one of the best in the league.

Long came in for criticism in no uncertain terms.

Forster - Poor tonight

Clyne - Had Young for toast most of the game

Fonte - Oh José , dwelled on the ball a couple of times and poor pass back for the first goal

Yoshida - Solid tonight

Bertrand - Decent game got forward well

Davis - Good game in an unfamiliar role , was everywhere

Wanyama - Didn't give any United player space to breathe

Tadic - good if not spectacular

Long - Typical display , if only he could finish he'd be worth £12m

Mane - ****

Pelle - Got his goal and worked hard

Still only been outplayed by city so far ! 3 nil away win Saturday

Not you mate. And I agree we could and should have beaten them, I just don't think the fact we lost means we are 'atrocious' and whatever other descriptions are floating around here tonight.
ok thanks, I make some accusations about our performances but not that untrue

Sat in the car

Didn't see yoshida do much wrong

Wanyama was very good

Long was good

Clyne was good

Mane was atrocious

Forster was not good at all

United were crap, 2 shots on target the whole game and we gifted them one

The ref seemed horrendous, gave us almost nothing

Long was ****. Missed two sitters.

Deep breath, read that back and think - 'I am an enormous drama queen' ...We're 5th, we're in touch and we outplayed the tw*ts..words fail me at this point!

Pretty much this

Im not worrying too much, think we will end up top 6 and tbh I said long ago that we wouldnt finish top four. Squad not deep enough for that challenge.

He wasn't ****.

Did what he does, harries, hassles and wins the ball back. That's pretty much his game, with the occasional goal here and there.

I can't recall a game Long has started where he has been over 6/10 though? Maybe Newcastle at home, he had a good game before going off with concussion. But otherwise better as a sub.

Better as a sub option when the hassling is more effective. He wastes most chances, has **** touch in tight areas and often just makes us seem more ragged.

When we were at our best, Pelle and Tadic were bossing it because the midfield were playing with great shape, dominating possession and generally playing with quality. We have lost that lately.

Mayuka pointless and no other forward options which is backwards on even our first PL season.

I don't think that's fair - we've got two good strikers injured and played two from the start today which naturally weakens the bench. Strikers this year: Pelle, Long, Rodriguez, Gallagher, Mayuka

First year: Lambert, Rodriguez at his rawest, Mayuka, Guly, very occasionally Sharp

Also, disappointing observation on our loss of defensive form:

We've conceded seven goals in the last four games - two howlers (tonight, Villa), two from players left unmarked in the six yard box (tonight, Arsenal), two from moves which started from poor mistakes (City). Perhaps I'm being harsh, particularly with City's goals which were very well taken, but top defences don't concede that many soft goals.

He wasn't ****.

Did what he does, harries, hassles and wins the ball back. That's pretty much his game, with the occasional goal here and there.

He's a striker - you make it sound as if getting the occasional goal is a bit on the side, an unexpected bonus.

The first was a good, not a great chance. On the other hand, should have burried the second, headed it into the ground. Made it an easy save for De Gea.

Though the first was the better chance, he took a long time to decide what to do and then just smashed it over. The second he had to stretch for, couldve done better yes but it was still difficult.

On the other hand Pellè has thrown away a hatfull of chances over the past 3 games and certainly against Villa was completely anonamous. Long had a good game tonight, full of energy, caused them problems and defended well

I don't think that's fair - we've got two good strikers injured and played two from the start today which naturally weakens the bench. Strikers this year: Pelle, Long, Rodriguez, Gallagher, Mayuka

First year: Lambert, Rodriguez at his rawest, Mayuka, Guly, very occasionally Sharp

If you add Lallana and Ramirez to attacking options and take out Rodriguez from this season as we knew he would miss a huge chunk of it then its quite different.

Mayuka as first go to option of the bench is poor.

At times last season we were bringing on Lambert or Osvaldo, plus Ramirez and the first season also had Puncheon.

With no attacking injuries aside from Jay long term, we have Mayuka as first option then either Isgrove or Hesketh.

West Ham had Zarate on the bench unused yesterday, Swansea Dyer, Palace Puncheon etc and have Mayuka who has come on in the last 3 or 4 games. Would rather have Carlton Cole or Bobby Zamora.

Though the first was the better chance, he took a long time to decide what to do and then just smashed it over. The second he had to stretch for, couldve done better yes but it was still difficult.

On the other hand Pellè has thrown away a hatfull of chances over the past 3 games and certainly against Villa was completely anonamous. Long had a good game tonight, full of energy, caused them problems and defended well

Perhaps, though I think the angle was tighter for Long's first chance and he was forced to wait as the ball bounced, with two defenders closing down on him. Needless to say, it was a wild lash. The second chance was much less contested.

Thought Pelle showed some life tonight after a poor run of form, though again he could have shown more patience with the chance he blazed over early in the second half.