Torres being offered for free to PL clubs

eddie

The issue with Torres is that he will need an extended run in the side to get back any semblance of sharpness and confidence - question is , can we put up with zero return for seven or eight (maybe more) games whilst he does so.

This is right up saggy's street - and qpr are daft enough to pay his wages

He's always seemed like a decent chap in fairness.

I've got a lot of Chelsea supporting friends (grew up and lived in West London until a few months ago) and they all liked him. He was never wanting for effort - he just never recovered his pace after his injury and then his confidence was shot. Fair play to him though, he kept plugging away and was never afraid to keep trying things.

It's a real shame, as he was an incredible striker a few years ago. As said above, he was often unplayable. He used to play up top on his own, and terrorise Rio & Vidic (one of the best CB pairings in the world at the time).

Anyway, can't see him coming here to be honest. Don't really know if it would be a great move for either party. Can see him ending up in the States or something similar.

We don't need a Prima Donna who can no longer hit a cows @r$e with a banjo.
Torres is a really decent guy, not in the least Prima Donna. In fact he's very humble and hard working. His problem lies in confident and belief in himself and excessive wage demands.

If you're a class act but short of confidence, Koeman's your man and Southampton's your club...but not on those wages.

Agree.

Surely he's got enough money already? Nobody is going to pay those wages based on his form over the last 2 years, so there must be room for compromise!

Would definitely take him...If he'd take a pay cut to about what Osvaldos wages are.

Maybe AC will be where Dani lands now though.

Would still make him pretty much our highest paid player wouldn't it? I don't think we should be throwing that kind of money at what is effectively a shot in the dark and a vain hope he will get some form back.

His wages just aren't worth it. No point in paying for something he did at Liverpool 7 years ago.

Would still make him pretty much our highest paid player wouldn't it? I don't think we should be throwing that kind of money at what is effectively a shot in the dark and a vain hope he will get some form back.

His wages just aren't worth it. No point in paying for something he did at Liverpool 7 years ago.

Yeah, at around 60,000 pw if it's 3.1 mill per year. Mind you I heard Morgan was just offered 50,000 to stay, and though I'm not saying that means the sky is the limit, we might see a general rise in wages over the next 18 months in order to keep talent. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a few players on 40/50,000 by this time next year.

When I first read the report yesterday I immediately thought yes. But then I sat and thought about it and decided it really isnt a saints signing. I think realistically he could refind his form here, smaller club, less pressure. But his wages would be restrictive and I dont think we need a fallen superstar in the changing room.

He'll do worse than go somewhere like QPR, Harry plays decent football and Tony pays decent wages. Plus its still the small club less pressure bit. He could potentially do very well somewhere.

Err do people not realise he has been even worse at Milan. Hanging on to the belief that he once had it is ridiculous in light of what has been seen in recent years. Would love him to get back to his best but there is a reason they want to terminate loan early

Not just few years ago, think was less than year ago (maybe longer) that he was excellent at St Marys, probably one of the best games a forward had against us last season - strong, direct, hard working, good in the air - thought we couldn't cope with him.

If can play like that easily good enough for squad, probably a starter, but he is a player who rarely performs to his excellent ability. I'm sure he still could, but how and for who?

The big snag are his wages.If he'd lower his expectancy and come to a decent and workable deal, he'd be well worth signing under Koeman. 30 year old isn't too old for a striker, a football player to rediscover his best form.

Does Koeman rate him? We'll just have to wait till the next press conference to see his reaction to the suggestion.

I think people will find that under Premier League rules, Southampton cannot take Torres on loan. Loans are known by the Premier League as 'temporary transfers' and are subject to limits. There is a maximum on the number of loan players a club may have, and no more than 1 from the same club. As Torres is a Chelsea player and Saints already have Bertrand on loan from Chelsea, I think that rules out a loan of Torres to Southampton. Anyone care to check if that is correct?

genuinely hope he rediscovers some form somewhere... as it's sad to see... but think he needs to go somewhere like the States where the scrutiny of his past form won't get in the way.... he'd be mad to go to a QPR..as strikers need chances to get their form back.. not struggling sides

I think people will find that under Premier League rules, Southampton cannot take Torres on loan. Loans are known by the Premier League as 'temporary transfers' and are subject to limits. There is a maximum on the number of loan players a club may have, and no more than 1 from the same club. As Torres is a Chelsea player and Saints already have Bertrand on loan from Chelsea, I think that rules out a loan of Torres to Southampton. Anyone care to check if that is correct?

Good point.

Perhaps we shall have to convert Bertrand's loan into a purchase?

Thought it was two actually but can't be arsed to check it.

Thought it was two actually but can't be arsed to check it.

Actually, its two loans at the same time but only 1 from the same club. Premier League Handbook 2014/15 - Rule V.7.5 No more than 4 temporary transfers in a season and no more than 1 from the same club. Rule V.7.6 - Maximum number of temporary transfers at the same time - 2.

So, no Torres.