Favourite Guitar Solo...

Unbelievable Jeff

Now obviously this is quite subjective, but is alo an opportunity to hear some guitar solo's that you may never have heard before.

For me, my favourite is 'Free Bird' by Lynyrd Skynyrd by Collins and Rossington. The rythym kept through the whole thing is spectacular, and just makes me smile and feel good about life. From about 4 minutes into the below:

Ooh. Nice thread.

I'll go with something left-field for starters; guitar solos are normally all about the rock, and this solo is performed by a rock musician, but it's for a pop song.

Beat It, by the late Michael Jackson, performed by Eddie Van Halen.

Cannot exclude the great Slash from proceedings. Gotta go with Sweet Child of Mine, which is probably the greatest rock ballad of all time.

I'm a late fan of Metallica's black album; only managed to live with it in the last decade. One of the things that swung me was the guitar solo to Unforgiven, ably demonstrating one of the finest things in rock music; order to disorder, and then back to order.

The bearded boys of ZZ Top get a mention for their bluesy work in Sharp Dressed Man.

Others have mentioned Free Bird, and rightly so. It's fantastic, and I love the fact that the album cut just fades out. You imagine the bastards in a room somewhere, still doing it after thirty years.

I don't really listen to them anymore, but I really enjoyed Richie Sambora's solos from the Bon Jovi albums. Wanted: Dead or Alive has some fine work.

Speaking of the general work of bands, you can't not include AC/DC. So many good solos. I'm a real fan of their bluesier stuff, but if I had to pick a couple for fine work, it'd be Whole Lotta Rosie and Let There Be Rock, both of which are basically songs full of solos.

Almost done. Even Flow, Pearl Jam.

Finally, this is pretty much all lead guitar. Hendrix gets a lot of cred for making his guitar talk. Check out little Stevie Vai.

Ooh. Nice thread.

I'll go with something left-field for starters; guitar solos are normally all about the rock, and this solo is performed by a rock musician, but it's for a pop song.

Beat It, by the late Michael Jackson, performed by Eddie Van Halen.

Cannot exclude the great Slash from proceedings. Gotta go with Sweet Child of Mine, which is probably the greatest rock ballad of all time.

I'm a late fan of Metallica's black album; only managed to live with it in the last decade. One of the things that swung me was the guitar solo to Unforgiven, ably demonstrating one of the finest things in rock music; order to disorder, and then back to order.

The bearded boys of ZZ Top get a mention for their bluesy work in Sharp Dressed Man.

Others have mentioned Free Bird, and rightly so. It's fantastic, and I love the fact that the album cut just fades out. You imagine the bastards in a room somewhere, still doing it after thirty years.

I don't really listen to them anymore, but I really enjoyed Richie Sambora's solos from the Bon Jovi albums. Wanted: Dead or Alive has some fine work.

Speaking of the general work of bands, you can't not include AC/DC. So many good solos. I'm a real fan of their bluesier stuff, but if I had to pick a couple for fine work, it'd be Whole Lotta Rosie and Let There Be Rock, both of which are basically songs full of solos.

Almost done. Even Flow, Pearl Jam.

Finally, this is pretty much all lead guitar. Hendrix gets a lot of cred for making his guitar talk. Check out little Stevie Vai.

Good list, but for Eddie Van Halen, gotta be Eruption:

Some guitar solos are ott in my opinion. My favourite guitarists are people like Robbie Robertson , JJ Cale , Steve Cropper, willie Nelson and George Harrison . I feel their playing wasn't showy the way some other guitarists are.

If I had to choose favourites it would probably be Robbie Robertson in "King Harvest", JJ Cale "They call me the breeze " and I do like any. Number of John Fogerty guitar solos, fortunate son, down on the corner and up around the bend , the stand out ones.

Two fantastic guitar players who never get mentioned in these things are Stephen Stills and Glen Campbell. I don't know if it's Stills or Neil Young or even a mixture of both but CSNY' s Woodstock is a great guitar track.

The fade-out to Sparks 'Complaints' from the old Kimono My House album.

The guitarist is a very underrated guy called Adrian Fisher who died (committed suicide, I think).

Fast hands.

From 2:00 if you don't want to listen to the whole track.

If you're a fan of a solo in a slow track, Mick Ralphs in Mott The Hoople's Hymn for the Dudes.

3:55 in.

Spookily watching Guitar Heroes at the BBC on BBC 4.

****, no bed for me until 4am now, I'm getting all the old vinyl albums out.

Now obviously this is quite subjective, but is alo an opportunity to hear some guitar solo's that you may never have heard before.

For me, my favourite is 'Free Bird' by Lynyrd Skynyrd by Collins and Rossington. The rythym kept through the whole thing is spectacular, and just makes me smile and feel good about life. From about 4 minutes into the below:

Saw it live at Knebworth back in the day. The most memorable performance from my youth.

Besides comfortably numb another stirring solo is Sloe Gin by Joe Bonamassa.

I have to be in a certain mood for some.....one day it can be something heavy by Tony Iommi,slash etc......other days Gilmour,Bonamassa for something soulful and moving in another way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe not the best, but I love this from the late, great Johnny Winter with his version of the Freddie King song See See Baby.

Freddie King was a legend too, of course and if anyone has yet to dive into his work, it won't be time wasted. Also, if you have time, check out this version of Freddie's Going Down from the 2010 Crossroads festival with Joe Bonamassa and Robert Randolph. Superb stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggNY41Vc5yE

This is so spooky was thinking about posting this Friday night as I was driving to pick my boy up listening to my old albums.

No solo will come as close to bringing me to tears as the second solo in the live performance of Comfortably Numb on a delicate sound of thunder

It is sublime

actually.. now I think about it 'the turning away has a pretty awesome solo at the end as well if I remember rightly'

there are solos that are technically wonderful and go on for a month and there are short beautiful ones that are as established in the song as the lyrics themselves. Had an argument with a mate one who said 'can't stand' artists who memorise solos they should all be improvised. Later that year went to see Black Sabbath with a guitarist mate of mine who was then gutted that the solo in Paranoid wasn't the one he had spent countless hours in his room trying to copy note for note as a kid.

Seen Angus Young and Steve vai do phenomenal solos live but they never move me in the same way as they do in the context of a song.

There are so many.

UFO - Profession of violence

Richie Blackmore not mentioned, come on guys. Stargazer or some of those B sides Weiss heim such emotion.

Comfortably numb always near the top but also Shine on you crazy diamond.

Bonamassa's Tea For One.

Saw Vai live at Hammersmith on the sound theories tour and there was one track that was just incredible as a piece of music and of course fantastically played, audience ave him a standing ovation at the end if the track even though it was right in the middle of the gig.

Lots more to list