Jose Fonte

supersonic

Been a great player and servant to the club, but I have serious doubts about his ability and attitude at the moment.

This is likely to upset a few as he is, quite rightly, so well liked by fans for his contributions over the past few seasons but this is just my opinion and they way I see it.

He isn't playing very well, has he peaked? or has is he just going through a rough patch? I'm not sure, I'm thinking it's more the first one, he certainly isn't part of our plans if we want to move forward as a club and move into Europe - he just doesn't have that ability. Mistake lead to the goal v United, that was more an unfortunate mis-judgement rather than a lack of ability. However, his performance last night (along with many others) was appalling.

The most worrying thing for me is his attitude and body language, he isn't stepping up to being a captain, was just stood with his hands on his hips looking down when they scored last night, not once did he look to motivate the players, or get things going. His first reaction at full time was to head towards the tunnel, only begrudgingly coming over after a few others had done so. JWP showed more leadership than he did last night.

Does he need a kick up the arse, yes IMO. Both as a player and as a captain. Still maintain we need another CB in January to partner Toby.

Been a great player and servant to the club, but I have serious doubts about his ability and attitude at the moment.

This is likely to upset a few as he is, quite rightly, so well liked by fans for his contributions over the past few seasons but this is just my opinion and they way I see it.

He isn't playing very well, has he peaked? or has is he just going through a rough patch? I'm not sure, I'm thinking it's more the first one, he certainly isn't part of our plans if we want to move forward as a club and move into Europe - he just doesn't have that ability. Mistake lead to the goal v United, that was more an unfortunate mis-judgement rather than a lack of ability. However, his performance last night (along with many others) was appalling.

The most worrying thing for me is his attitude and body language, he isn't stepping up to being a captain, was just stood with his hands on his hips looking down when they scored last night, not once did he look to motivate the players, or get things going. His first reaction at full time was to head towards the tunnel, only begrudgingly coming over after a few others had done so. JWP showed more leadership than he did last night.

Does he need a kick up the arse, yes IMO. Both as a player and as a captain. Still maintain we need another CB in January to partner Toby.

Oh do give over, he's just played too many games that's all. Rotation of the CBs hasn't happened, well apart from Toby going forward of late and Maya getting a game or two. We have 4 CBs, that shouldn't be 2+2 that should be a straightforward 4.

Too many players playing too many games for sure but lay off José, he's done well but has been worn down.

There are way too many of these OTT threads at the moment.

Calm down. Stop looking for issues that aren't there and be grateful we have people like Fonte at the club.

People have talked about replacing him for 3 seasons now. He's still there and is still leading the defence.

Are none of our players allowed a ropy moment what so ever? Do we honestly expect all of the team to play at 100% every week for 40+ games? Impossibility, physically and mentally.

There are way too many of these OTT threads at the moment.

Calm down. Stop looking for issues that aren't there and be grateful we have people like Fonte at the club.

People have talked about replacing him for 3 seasons now. He's still there and is still leading the defence.

Are none of our players allowed a ropy moment what so ever? Do we honestly expect all of the team to play at 100% every week for 40+ games? Impossibility, physically and mentally.

Fully appreciate that players may not be able to play 100% of the time, but this isn't one game, it's been a few. Plus lack of leadership and attitude is what is worrying me.

Fully appreciate that players may not be able to play 100% of the time, but this isn't one game, it's been a few. Plus lack of leadership and attitude is what is worrying me.

what, 3 or 4 dodgy games? Christ, give him a break!

He's a natural leader, I noticed that in the first part of the season. I'm judging this lot on our most prolonged period of results - which was when we were winning, keep it tight etc. He was excellent, leading the back 4 and keeping the line as tight as anything. We had one of the best defensive records in European football, he was a major contributor to that - probably one of the main. The reactions based on the last 5 are nothing apart from a snapshot. It doesn't show the true story, it doesn't show their true form. It's silly to judge anyone at the moment as it's such a dysfunctional side due to suspensions and injuries and changes and form.

He's more than good enough for Europa League football by the way, and is not holding us back in any way.

I expected Jose to be third choice CH this season but fair play to him, he has upped his game and has been a worthy captain. He is always capable of a rash challenge in the area and that worries me but then many CHs do too. This is a marathon not a sprint and the team have hit a wall. Give them a break.

I expected Jose to be third choice CH this season but fair play to him, he has upped his game and has been a worthy captain. He is always capable of a rash challenge in the area and that worries me but then many CHs do too. This is a marathon not a sprint and the team have hit a wall. Give them a break.

Meaning that you greatly overestimated the capabilities of Gardos then, or that we didn't sign someone that we might have?

NB You hit the wall in the marathon for 2 reasons

a: Your preparation is inadequate or b: you've set off too fast and have burned all of your glucose reserves too early and then suffer the brutal effect of trying to burn fats and or proteins. A good marathon is run at even pace or at a slightly (and I mean minimal) higher pace in the second half. I do wish people would not use this analogy to intimate that a marathon is not an even paced affair.

Edited by Window Cleaner

One of the reason's I found supersonic match assessment excellent was the comments he made about Fonte. I've held back the past few weeks on my own feeling he's not quite hacking it as Captain. He does lack leadership and has been a fault a number of times. I believe it was on one of the match day videos the camera caught him rapidly very arrogantly talking to one of the younger players. I was very shocked and wish could remember where to find it. It was very fast that I'm sure it hadn't meant to be on there.

Every player as well as the management is now under the microscope whilst we're playing so badly. It didn't just happen overnight. Something is wrong and to date Koeman hasn't been able to turn things around as one would expect. I'd like both Koeman and the players especially Fonte to frain media quotes and appearances until things have been resolved. Maybe this is the Dutch way, as Van Gaal has shown at Man U. I just feel keeping a low profile and silent would see us resolving issues sooner.

Why do you have serious doubts over his attitude?