Matt Targett signs 5 year contract to 2019

Ulrich van Gobbel

Means nothing.

Shaw? Lallana? Chambers?

As far as I can see all contracts do is give the player security until something better comes along

It means a great deal because it gives security to the Club as well as the player. This is going over the same ground that was debated back in the summer, but a player cannot break a contract without the agreement of the club. The club can agree to terminate for a fee and, as we saw in the summer, that agreement can come at a high price to the buying club. The Club can also refuse offers, even if a substantial fee is likely, as we saw with Schneiderlin.

Matt Targett is a prospect with years of top flight football ahead of him. The alternative to tying him down is to accept that you will let him go for peanuts.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not that excited about this player.

Me neither. Seems like an unnecessary outlay. Then again, maybe its just Saints making sure they get a decent fee when someone gets a little too excited about our academy and just wants to sign one of them.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm not that excited about this player.

He's a very good footballer with a lot of upside. England U20 Captain (or has at least captained them at times), solid defender, great mentality, very good on the ball. Not explosive like Luke Shaw, isn't going to be up and down the left hand side all day but another great Academy graduate who will have a very good career.

One of very few to come out of Tuesday's game with any sort of credit. Think he's done well in the handful of games he's been given this season, clearly not at Shaw levels of excitement/talent at this stage but not everyone develops at the same rate.

This. I don't know why he was taken off because he was much better than Bertrand on the night.

Me neither. Seems like an unnecessary outlay. Then again, maybe its just Saints making sure they get a decent fee when someone gets a little too excited about our academy and just wants to sign one of them.

Of all the criticisms you might have, that is a VERY strange one. How much do you think this contract will be costing the club?

Because Bertrand is a better left back than Targett and after the sub Bertrand wasn't needed to play left midfield any more.

Not the other night he wasn't! Targett is easily as good at leftback as chambers was on the right last season!?

Also can't see us making Bertrands loan a permanent as it would just be blocking Targetts path to the first team

How on earth are we going to reach Europe if we don't sign top quality players.. and Bertrand is top quality.. will take years for Targett to reach his level.. if he ever does.

I hope you are right, but would prefer both as we are lacking in two players per position which a requisite for Europe.. maybe I'm dreaming after watching tuesdays game.

I know what you mean I just doubt we'll sign one 10m player when we have just signed someone for 5 years in his position I maybe wrong though